Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games

DSOGaming transcribes a bit of this video interview where Phil Spencer tells us Microsoft's latest story about their commitment to PC gaming. Their recent emphasis is cross-play between Windows 10 and Xbox One, but he promises exclusive PC games in the future:

"I know a lot of people looked at our early PC launches and they said 'Hey, this does not feel like a PC game.' And we know todays games will take two-three years to actually go build a good game. I look at Halo Wars 2, I think its a good PC game. But you know, lets be honest; a genre that started on the PC as RTS, that we on Halo Wars 1 took it over to console, and now with Halo Wars 2 were shipping on both platforms. And people see that and they are like 'Is this a console RTS? Is this a PC RTS?.' And we are going to say yes. But Ill say in the long run Windows is incredibly important to Microsoft, and gaming is one of the most vibrant activities that happens on the Windows platform, and the Xbox team now runs gaming for Microsoft. Gaming on PC is something that we are committed to, were going to have more things to talk about. Were going to have games only released on the PC. Were going to have games only released on console. And PC gaming is critically important to the company.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 21, 2017, 14:28 Nullity

NetHead wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 12:47:
Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha0IAGk2gxg

I've made interfaces and honestly, truly, I do not think I could do a better job of infuriating the user than just that single example.
That is comically awful. If I had purchased any game with such a glaringly obviously broken UI, I would get a refund immediately without even bothering to play the game.

It hurts my brain to even think about how that could have happened. They literally didn't test it, it's just not possible. Everyone on the UI team needs to be fired and banned from programming ever again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 21, 2017, 11:17 Verno

I think its great that Microsoft has realized they are in fact a software company after all  
Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse

44. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 12:47 NetHead

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 12:03:
NetHead wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 08:30:
I can't but help wondering why. What is in it for them to screw it up so badly. Is it incompetence, is it an agenda, or what.

The reason is that the big publishers are making only between 10% and 20% max of revenue on the PC. MS doesn't give a shit. The more they sabotage PC gaming, the more Shitboxes they sell and the more console fees they can collect. Destroying PC gaming for them = win-win.

I think you misunderstand, I don't mean "why" just in relation to gaming (that's easy to see why). I mean just about everything.

Like Windows itself, people want a new version and don't have much of an alternative or even know they have one. Microsoft doesn't have to do much other than basic improvements (there is always so very much room for that in all Windows versions). Basically they simply need to not screw up and people will be knocking down their door for the newest version.

Instead Microsoft is forced to slide and force the upgrade onto people and still miss projections.

They either have a messed up, incompetent mentality or there's an agenda, or something else I don't know.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 11:45:

The answer is no, but I watched a Halo Wars 2 "preview" stream and.. that looked laughable. Good CGI, bad performance in DX12, bad gameplay... and that from a MS dev team

Would probably be worth to watch in a let's play though, but only if you skip all the gameplay. I mean broken path-finding, in this day and age? And I nearly got a laughing attack when I saw the prompts when you wanna destroy a building you own. They cover the WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN, blacking everything out.. lmao

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha0IAGk2gxg

I've made interfaces and honestly, truly, I do not think I could do a better job of infuriating the user than just that single example.

43. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 12:33 RedEye9

rawbelly wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 12:00:
Used Windows store to play the Astroneer trial. When the 60 min expired I bought it on Steam.
So the windows store does have a use. whoda thunkit

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

42. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 12:15 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 07:10:
Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 02:10:
Really, can we collectively stop caring so much about the platform? I mean exclusives are divisive enough, can we just focus on MS actually trying to make a PC game? And weather that game will be any good? Do they have any solid studios left that they haven't bankrupted who can pull off a real PC game?
It doesn't matter if the game is decent if the platform ruins the experience. I received Gears Of War 4 with my graphics card and I have never had such a terrible experience - the download constantly stalling, restarting, corrupting, etc. It took me weeks to actually get it installed and running - registry resets, deleting hidden folders, etc. Turns out it was because of telemetry data being sent in the background which NetLimiter blocks, despite no other platform having an issue with it.

I will never buy any game on the Windows Store. At least Uplay and Origin I can tolerate, even if they're far from ideal. If Microsoft was serious about PC gaming it would create a gaming hub that acts as a centralised access for games from all platforms, allowing gamers to manage games from multiple stores. And if it cared about its own digital platform it would take the best aspects of the competition, rather than creating a restrictive DRM hell with an appalling UX.

Halo Wars 2 could have been a decent game but it was ruined by using a console interface, pay-to-win and the Windows Store.

In defense of MS, they're a small company that doesn't have the resources to put into making things run well.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

41. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 12:03 CJ_Parker

NetHead wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 08:30:
I can't but help wondering why. What is in it for them to screw it up so badly. Is it incompetence, is it an agenda, or what.

The reason is that the big publishers are making only between 10% and 20% max of revenue on the PC. MS doesn't give a shit. The more they sabotage PC gaming, the more Shitboxes they sell and the more console fees they can collect. Destroying PC gaming for them = win-win.

40. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 12:00 rawbelly

Used Windows store to play the Astroneer trial. When the 60 min expired I bought it on Steam.  

39. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 11:45 eRe4s3r

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 22:16:
Is it April first? Because if not, this reads like a threat and not a promise. MS in gaming was never a good thing, which you can already see from Halo Wars 2, a console RTS, which is inferior to ANY rts on PC, being put on Windows as an Windows 10 exclusive. Ah, there is no saying "FUCK YOU" quite like MS can do it.

Really, can we collectively stop caring so much about the platform? I mean exclusives are divisive enough, can we just focus on MS actually trying to make a PC game? And weather that game will be any good? Do they have any solid studios left that they haven't bankrupted who can pull off a real PC game?

The answer is no, but I watched a Halo Wars 2 "preview" stream and.. that looked laughable. Good CGI, bad performance in DX12, bad gameplay... and that from a MS dev team

Would probably be worth to watch in a let's play though, but only if you skip all the gameplay. I mean broken path-finding, in this day and age? And I nearly got a laughing attack when I saw the prompts when you wanna destroy a building you own. They cover the WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN, blacking everything out.. lmao

38. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 08:30 NetHead

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:10:
Uhm... Windows 10 exclusive or Windows exclusive? If the former, then fuck you and die.
Really, its time for an alternative OS, I cant even put into words anymore how much I hate MS now because of their never ending audacity since Windows 8...

Ummm which do you think?

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about PC gaming. They only care about it so far as it can be used as a carrot/stick.

DicrectX being artificially limited to Windows Next is ongoing with asinine excuses, that some actually believe.

Do you think they'll be making PC exclusives for the sake of PC gaming, despite PC gamers not caring about exclusives or outright disliking the concept and results, which also means giving up profit from releasing on other platforms.

Or do you think they'll be doing it in their own interest so they have another carrot/stick to wave around at people who don't use Windows Next or buy things through the Windows Store were MS takes a slide of the profit.

Nevermind the fucking state of games they release via ports on Windows, it is beyond shocking which shows just how much they really care, even before considering their track record or PR spindoctoring bullshit.

That bit of text at the top is so damning, it shows how utterly incompetent and out of touch Microsoft and that idiot are. All they have to do is "built it and they will come", the demand is already there bigger than ever and increasing.

Instead they make bad decisions and fall back onto forceful and deceptive tactics (be it exclusivity with DirectX, Windows Store or more directly forced "upgrades"). People are clamouring for games on PC, all Microsoft has to do is not get in the way (instead they often pay money for exclusives on the Xbox and their store with shit ports that require Windows Next). People clamour for a new improved Windows, yet Microsoft has to resort to deception, lies and force to get them to use what they finally release.

It's like if everyone wanted to eat muffins, yet you have to run around shoving them down peoples throats because you've screwed up the obvious so badly.

37. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 07:10 theyarecomingforyou

It doesn't matter if the game is decent if the platform ruins the experience. I received Gears Of War 4 with my graphics card and I have never had such a terrible experience - the download constantly stalling, restarting, corrupting, etc. It took me weeks to actually get it installed and running - registry resets, deleting hidden folders, etc. Turns out it was because of telemetry data being sent in the background which NetLimiter blocks, despite no other platform having an issue with it.

I will never buy any game on the Windows Store. At least Uplay and Origin I can tolerate, even if they're far from ideal. If Microsoft was serious about PC gaming it would create a gaming hub that acts as a centralised access for games from all platforms, allowing gamers to manage games from multiple stores. And if it cared about its own digital platform it would take the best aspects of the competition, rather than creating a restrictive DRM hell with an appalling UX.

Halo Wars 2 could have been a decent game but it was ruined by using a console interface, pay-to-win and the Windows Store.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

36. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 04:30 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:10:
Uhm... Windows 10 exclusive or Windows exclusive? If the former, then fuck you and die.

It will be Win10 fully upgraded to latest only
Store Only

35. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 02:10 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 22:16:
Is it April first? Because if not, this reads like a threat and not a promise. MS in gaming was never a good thing, which you can already see from Halo Wars 2, a console RTS, which is inferior to ANY rts on PC, being put on Windows as an Windows 10 exclusive. Ah, there is no saying "FUCK YOU" quite like MS can do it.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

34. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 02:07 Slick

Rigs wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:16:
Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:37:
This man has the world's most punchable face.

He looks like the illegitimate love child of Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) and Jon Stewart (Daily Show).

=-Rigs-=

Oh shiiiiit, I can't ever un-see that now

Although he does somehow take the "shit-eating grin" to a whole new level. Boss level.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

33. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 23:12 Avus

I foresee the "GFWL 2.0" is coming, another PC "apocalyptic" event is coming....  

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

32. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 22:16 eRe4s3r

31. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 21:54 Overon

Why do they repeat the same lie over and over again?  

30. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 21:50 Dirwulf

Haha...not this announcement again. Still waiting from the one like 5 years ago.

29. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 21:30 jdreyer

Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:02:
since when has platform exclusivity made any gamer excited?

QFT.

If it's a port, make it proper and give it full PC support.
If it's not a port, then it takes full advantage of the strengths of the PC platform.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

28. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 20:40 theyarecomingforyou

We've heard this bullshit from Microsoft before. Microsoft really needs to be kept as far away from gaming as possible, as it taints anything it goes near. Halo Wars 2 is a shitty console port tied to the Windows Store, another abomination.

If Microsoft wants to show its commitment to PC gaming then it should start by abandoning the Windows Store altogether. It's worse than GFWL and that's saying something.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 20:16 Rigs

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:37:
This man has the world's most punchable face.

He looks like the illegitimate love child of Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) and Jon Stewart (Daily Show).

=-Rigs-=

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.'
'They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.'-Londo Mollari, 'In The Beginning', Babylon5

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo