Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

When I was younger I had a hard time understanding why those older than me seemed obsessed with getting rid of objects that cluttered up their lives. Now that I'm digging through 16 years worth of clutter, I wish I had just taken it on faith that I would come to such a point as well. I have thrown out and boxed up a lot of stuff, and it seems like there is still more of it that's left to be dealt with. I'm at the point where if it was practical to burn the rest I might just, but it will be almost as much work to pile it into a bonfire as it will be to sort through it, so I guess there's no easy way out here.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Society: Dead Detective.
Story: William Shatner Crosses Into 'Star Wars' Territory To Help Kid With Autism.
Media: Drum Juggling Street Performer.
Beagle muffs focus on task at paw.
Cassie - Next Generation Robot.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

104. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 23, 2017, 20:05 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 17:02:
holy shit, how the fuck did I miss this thread!? popcorn time!

seriously though, I'll have some strong opinions about whatever the hell is going on here though, you can be sure of that. xD

this isn't even slick... this impostor is about 120 sentences short of a real slick post

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

103. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 23, 2017, 17:02 Slick

holy shit, how the fuck did I miss this thread!? popcorn time!

seriously though, I'll have some strong opinions about whatever the hell is going on here though, you can be sure of that. xD

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

102. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 23:15 Quboid

Verno wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 10:38:
I don't think [space captain] misunderstands at all, he just chooses what to respond to.

Good point. I suppose he's not really what I call a troll because he's not just looking to annoy people for attention. He's just an [redacted].

With the trolls, the attention from chaos they create is all they want so ignoring them isn't ignoring the problem, it is cutting off their fuel.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

101. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 13:44 Creston

Rigs wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 23:38:
Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 21:35:
Yeah, he's a dick. He's a dick to everybody. Get over it. And if you can't, put him on ignore. Not like he gives a shit.

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction? Some people take nothing said as approval, especially trolls.

That's really pretty darn rare, doesn't fit troll behavior, and it certainly doesn't fit sc. If you don't talk to sc, he doesn't talk to you. Ergo, Latin, if you take offense at the way he talks, and you don't talk to him, he doesn't talk back offensively to you.

It seems a simple premise. And again, you feel he needs to be banned. Other people feel other people should be banned. If we created a list, I'm sure that 80% of the entire forum will be on someone's list. So where do we draw the line? Let's just ban everybody?

Yes, he's a dick. He also contributes pretty decently to other stuff, as opposed to certain other folks that come here and don't get banned for it.

Just.Ignore.Him. Either through the button, or by just not engaging him. Even he will eventually get it if literally nobody talks to him anymore.

100. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 13:26 BobBob

Rigs wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 13:19:
Blue wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 08:43:
Yeah, he's a dick. He's a dick to everybody. Get over it. And if you can't, put him on ignore. Not like he gives a shit.

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction?

No, you combat trolls through inaction. You empower them by getting worked up and reacting.

For once I don't agree. Doing that, in that way, sounds like you don't want to risk touching something because you don't want to deal with the chaos in the aftermath. There has to be a better way. You never fix a problem by ignoring it and hope it goes away.

=-Rigs-=

Tends to go from one extreme to another. Hence, as we see now via this election and its result.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

99. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 13:19 Rigs

No, you combat trolls through inaction. You empower them by getting worked up and reacting.

For once I don't agree. Doing that, in that way, sounds like you don't want to risk touching something because you don't want to deal with the chaos in the aftermath. There has to be a better way. You never fix a problem by ignoring it and hope it goes away.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

98. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 09:13 Sepharo

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 08:47:

Dump the Report button then?

There are things beyond trolling that it's needed for.

97. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 08:47 nin

Dump the Report button then?

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

96. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 08:43  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

95. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 08:28 nin

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction? Some people take nothing said as approval, especially trolls. There comes a point when something has to be done. I'm not saying banning is the only thing but at some point, somewhere, a line has to be drawn because if not, the problem just escalates.

=-Rigs-=

And ignoring does no good when the person is quoted...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

94. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 21, 2017, 23:38 Rigs

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction? Some people take nothing said as approval, especially trolls. There comes a point when something has to be done. I'm not saying banning is the only thing but at some point, somewhere, a line has to be drawn because if not, the problem just escalates.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

93. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 21, 2017, 21:35 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 12:45:
The problem with ignoring, vs banning, is that you can still pop into a 100 post thread, expecting it to be good discussion, and instead it's just good posters arguing with a troll. Banning solves that entire derailment issue.

But then we come to a point of "who is a troll, and who isn't." There are far, FAR better people worthy of the troll label (and consequent ban, if we were to go by that argument) than space captain/harlock/rudra/whoever.

92. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 21, 2017, 10:38 Verno

Quboid wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 19:35:
I have seen complaints against other people, including Slick. I don't mind long posts as long as there's a reason and not just waffle but that's a bit subjective. With a couple of people (like space captain) I think it's in your best interests to be concise as comprehensive answers just gives them more to misunderstand.

I don't think he misunderstands at all, he just chooses what to respond to. I agree though that being more concise is pretty key to not getting aggravated in dealing with him. I don't mind long posts either but when its just dissembling and waffle I tune it out. It gets tiresome every now and then so I (infrequently) comment on it which I think is reasonable.

Anyways while I wouldn't lose any sleep over him being banned, it seems rather pointless because he will just reregister and begin the cycle anew. Perhaps if the BBS is ever updated these things can get sorted out.

I just deleted the whole thing, I was in a bad mood all day and kept making changes to it and I decided that I just didn't want to argue anymore. So if he was trying to be nice about it, so be it.

Bygones be bygones and all that is fine with me.

Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse

91. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 21, 2017, 09:33 descender

The fuck is wrong with you guys... Maybe both of you assholes should just stop telling other people what and how to post. "I don't have time to read that" Gooooo fuck yourself? Is this the most childish response to a conversation that you could come up with?

If you don't have time to read full posts... no one gives a shit. Don't read them, move on. Don't tell us, we don't care for or want your commentary at all. Stop berating the guy for participating in conversations and being passionate about a subject.

If all you can ever muster is 2 lines of text in response or give his opinion 30 seconds out of your day, maybe that says more about you than it does about him. Don't have time to participate? Don't hold that against the people that do... you aren't a better person for having less spare time.

This whole thread is just people complaining about what other people post. Worry about what you post... ignore the ones you don't like and move on with your lives.

90. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2017, 05:39 Redmask

You were writing and editing a reply all day, I am not surprised in the slightest. No problems on your end at all, its everyone else Rolleyes  

89. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 21:17 Rigs

I just deleted the whole thing, I was in a bad mood all day and kept making changes to it and I decided that I just didn't want to argue anymore. So if he was trying to be nice about it, so be it.

=-Rigs-=

88. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 21:17 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:36:
Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 11:36:
It was a nice way of saying you could stand to clean up your posts a bit. I had some PMs from others in the past saying the same thing and I took it to heart in the past few years. I see others have given that feedback without any introspection being triggered so I won't bother trying to convince you further.

You didn't hold back before but all of a sudden you were being 'nice'.

Seems like you're confusing Verno and Redmask.

All Verno said was, "Yeah I don't have time to read or respond to all of that."
Which yeah, in comparison to what Redmask wrote he was being pretty nice.

87. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 21:16 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 19:35:
I have seen complaints against other people, including Slick. I don't mind long posts as long as there's a reason and not just waffle but that's a bit subjective. With a couple of people (like space captain) I think it's in your best interests to be concise as comprehensive answers just gives them more to misunderstand.

I probably should have put 'almost no one'...in fact, I'll do just that! Thumbsup

=-Rigs-=

86. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 19:35 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:36:
Slick and CJ can go into long winded rants on a variety of subjects and I see NO ONE complaining

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

85. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 14:20 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 12:45:
The problem with ignoring, vs banning, is that you can still pop into a 100 post thread, expecting it to be good discussion, and instead it's just good posters arguing with a troll.

Kind of like watching the news lately.

I believe that's the second great one-liner you've had in a week's span.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo