Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

When I was younger I had a hard time understanding why those older than me seemed obsessed with getting rid of objects that cluttered up their lives. Now that I'm digging through 16 years worth of clutter, I wish I had just taken it on faith that I would come to such a point as well. I have thrown out and boxed up a lot of stuff, and it seems like there is still more of it that's left to be dealt with. I'm at the point where if it was practical to burn the rest I might just, but it will be almost as much work to pile it into a bonfire as it will be to sort through it, so I guess there's no easy way out here.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Society: Dead Detective.
Story: William Shatner Crosses Into 'Star Wars' Territory To Help Kid With Autism.
Media: Drum Juggling Street Performer.
Beagle muffs focus on task at paw.
Cassie - Next Generation Robot.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 19:35 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:36:
Slick and CJ can go into long winded rants on a variety of subjects and I see NO ONE complaining

I have seen complaints against other people, including Slick. I don't mind long posts as long as there's a reason and not just waffle but that's a bit subjective. With a couple of people (like space captain) I think it's in your best interests to be concise as comprehensive answers just gives them more to misunderstand.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 14:20 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 12:45:
The problem with ignoring, vs banning, is that you can still pop into a 100 post thread, expecting it to be good discussion, and instead it's just good posters arguing with a troll.

Kind of like watching the news lately.

I believe that's the second great one-liner you've had in a week's span.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

84. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 13:36 Rigs

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 11:36:
It was a nice way of saying you could stand to clean up your posts a bit. I had some PMs from others in the past saying the same thing and I took it to heart in the past few years. I see others have given that feedback without any introspection being triggered so I won't bother trying to convince you further.

You didn't hold back before but all of a sudden you were being 'nice'. Come on, mate, get the fuck outta here! I'm not six years old. I don't need to be talked down to like a child and I resent your implication that I need to learn how to write in a public forum! I think the real reason is because you couldn't come up with a worthy response to what I said. You copped out, that much is obvious.

I don't get where this 'your posts are too long' bullshit is coming from? My posts aren't 'too long'. Slick and CJ can go into long winded rants on a variety of subjects and I see NO ONE complaining. There's nothing wrong with the way I write. It hasn't changed in the twenty years I've been here and I never got complaints before. No, the real reason is you don't want to hear it. You want to read the things that you agree with and that agree with you. You want an echo chamber. Or, like Redmask and SC, you want to spit out some hateful bullshit to see how much you can hurt the other person in one post and then get them to react so you can continue. Basically a bully.

I'm not changing the way I do things, that I've done for decades (not just here...you do know I write for a living, yes?!). If you can't be bothered to read it, you shouldn't be here to begin with because, hey, newsflash, that's ALL you do here! READ. That's the stupidest thing I've heard, to be honest. 'I don't have time to read all that...but let me go somewhere else on the site and READ'. Man, whatever. You keep telling yourself in the mirror that you know better. I'll live in the real world, ok?

I'm not saying we should ban people, sometimes that derailment is fun and usually easy to avoid, but I get why people may refuse to ignore but still support banning.

Well, at least some of us still have our heads screwed on straight!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2017, 15:56.

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.

83. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 13:25 BobBob

The problem with ignoring, vs banning, is that you can still pop into a 100 post thread, expecting it to be good discussion, and instead it's just good posters arguing with a troll.

Kind of like watching the news lately.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

82. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 12:45 Beamer

The problem with ignoring, vs banning, is that you can still pop into a 100 post thread, expecting it to be good discussion, and instead it's just good posters arguing with a troll. Banning solves that entire derailment issue.

I'm not saying we should ban people, sometimes that derailment is fun and usually easy to avoid, but I get why people may refuse to ignore but still support banning.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

81. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 11:36 Verno

Rigs wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 15:23:
Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:42:
Yeah I don't have time to read or respond to all of that.

You had time to read the entire thread yet not enough to read my three paragraphs? Inquisitive

It was a nice way of saying you could stand to clean up your posts a bit. I had some PMs from others in the past saying the same thing and I took it to heart in the past few years. I see others have given that feedback without any introspection being triggered so I won't bother trying to convince you further.

This is way off topic though so getting back to my original point, space captain can't really be banned so it's just a waste of time asking. He's caustic but arguably adds some value here and frankly we have worse posters. For better or for worse we're all stuck with each other. The ignore function works perfectly well, I am hesitant to use it myself but with some posters I'm definitely getting closer.

Playing: Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, Abzu, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Life in Pieces, Arrival, Taboo

80. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 19, 2017, 09:39 Redmask

Rigs wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:34:
You're right about one thing. I'm tired. I should be respectful about time, my own. You sit there and bitch about having respect for the reader, what about the one that wrote it? I'm not getting paid to sit here and play patty cake with your childish ass.

Your arrogance is amusing. You literally think you're doing everyone some sort of favor by gracing us with your presence and playing at debate club. You don't lurk because you need us, not the other way around you genius. Go ahead and put me on ignore. That would make my fucking day. Do you think that I care if you respond or read or not? We both know you're going to read them all anyway and that they will be quoted back.

I'm going to go ahead and call the bluff on the worlds most empty threat. The ability to respond to your posts without getting a 1000 page essay about your hurt feelings if someone doesn't agree with you? That shit is gold. Please put me on ignore, that is fantastic.

79. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 17:34 Rigs

Redmask wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 12:52:
>snip childish bullshit trying to be 'edgy'<

You're right about one thing. I'm tired. I should be respectful about time, my own. You sit there and bitch about having respect for the reader, what about the one that wrote it? I'm not getting paid to sit here and play patty cake with your childish ass. So, for now on, I'm not. You can enjoy the vast view from the top of my Ignore list, so I wouldn't bother replying. A look at your posts for the last few days shows I'm not missing much. Say, if I had a choice to be remembered for writing possibly rambling but informative and enjoyable posts or hate fueled, spiteful and ignorant rants spit at anyone that has the unfortunate luck to have you reply to them...well, I think you know which I'd take.

I've tried to be just a lurker before and it sorta worked but as I said, I'm tired. I really do have better things to do than explain my position and defend my opinion in nearly every discussion I get into. Oh! There's me going on with all the 'I's' again...I better shut my mouth before I trigger some 'special' snowflakes...

=-Rigs-=

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.

78. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2017, 14:21 Redmask

TL;DR BobBob LOL  

77. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 14:05 ^Drag0n^

"Damn kids! Get off my lawn!"  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

76. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 13:49 BobBob

Redmask wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 12:52:
You had time to read the entire thread yet not enough to read my three paragraphs? Inquisitive

Okay... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

He was being polite but I lack that filter, you ramble like an 85 year old widower with way too much time on his hands and obviously love to reread your own text. You can't blame everyone else when they can't be bothered to find the point buried in a such pile of shit. It shows a lack of respect for others time and it comes off as trying to bury opposing view points with chaff until people give up.

This isn't high school debate club. Get to the point or most people simply won't bother.

A lot of the posts in these online debates are highly verbose. You may not like what he said, or how he said it, but I personally found it coherent, humorous and non-offensive. I don't see the point of cursing at him or crushing his words. He was calling for decency, and I'm not sure why anyone find that offensive, even if disagreed with.

If you want long winded ...

To all those who have had the misfortune to imbibe Redmask's incompetent words, I have one thing to say: Redmask believes that the ideas of “freedom” and “ageism” are Siamese twins only because he has a need to believe that. But first, let me pose you a question: Is he actually concerned about any of us or does he just want to cause one-sided ebullitions to be entered into historical fact? After reading this letter, you'll unmistakably find it's the latter. Given this context, we need to return to the idea that motivated this letter: He should stop calling me a disputatious, lousy bum. Although I've been called worse things by better people, no one likes being attacked by heinous windbags. Even worse, Redmask exploits our fear of those attacks—which he claims will evolve as soon as our backs are turned into biological, chemical, or nuclear attacks—as a pretext to fix blame for social stress, economic loss, or loss of political power on a target group whose constructed guilt provides a simplistic explanation. If you think that's scary, then you should remember that if Redmask opened his eyes, he'd realize that at no time in the past did otiose party animals shamble through the streets of cities, demanding rights they imagine some supernatural power has bestowed upon them.

There are two challenges we must face if we wish to repair the disruptive world we have inherited from Redmask. The first challenge is to investigate the development of revanchism as a concept. This is only slightly less difficult than the second challenge, which is to convey to people the knowledge that Redmask does, occasionally, make a valid point. But when he says that his debauches are the result of a high-minded urge to do sociological research, that's where the facts end and the ludicrousness begins. We desperately need to give our propaganda fighters an instrument that is very much needed at this time. It's not enough merely to keep our heads down and pray that Redmask doesn't cure the evil of discrimination with more discrimination. As I like to say, if you set the bar low, you jump low. It's astounding that he has found a way to work the words “stereophotogrammetry” and “protobasidiomycetous” into his ventures. However, you may find it even more astounding that if we let him redefine unbridled self-indulgence as a virtue, as the ultimate test of personal freedom, all we'll have to look forward to in the future is a public realm devoid of culture and a narrow and routinized professional life untouched by the highest creations of civilization.

Redmask proclaims at every opportunity that he'd never ridicule the accomplishments of generations of great men and women. The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. It's clear enough that he knew of his encomiasts' plans to place our children at imminent risk of serious harm. However, Redmask contented himself with a private, pro forma call for restraint—in other words, a green light. This call may even have encouraged his encomiasts' actions by obscuring the fact that Redmask's insinuations are more than randy. They fill me with a sense of despair. More than anything else, they make me realize that some of Redmask's forces were kind enough to provide a locus classicus for Redmask's true intentions. They wrote, “Redmask told us that what he wants more than anything else is to cement the foundation of our currently metastasizing police state into the law of the land.” I don't know about you, but that tells me that Redmask somehow manages to maintain a straight face when saying that the most valuable skill one can have is the ability to lie convincingly. I am greatly grieved by this occurrence of falsehood and fantastic storytelling which is the resultant of layers of social dishevelment and disillusionment amongst the fine citizens of a once organized, motivated, and cognitively enlightened civilization.

Once in a blue moon, which is still far too often, one encounters the lie that an open party with unlimited access to alcohol can't possibly outgrow the host's ability to manage the crowd. A quick way to refute this myth is to note that Redmask should have been placed long ago in a locked psychiatric unit. I would have committed him to such a facility under the justification that he says that trees cause more pollution than automobiles do. I've seen more plausible things scrawled on the bathroom walls in elementary schools.

The cast-off ideas of debunked philosophy on which Redmask has based most of his evil, lickerish utterances do tell us one thing. They tell us that Redmask's machinations are not only politically, economically, and sociologically unsound; they are morally wrong and wishy-washy. Their only saving grace is that they remind us that every time Redmask spouts some nonsense about how we can all live together happily without laws, like the members of some 1960s-style dope-smoking commune, the effect is that his chums become even more loyal to him. Sociologists refer to the phenomenon of increased devotion to a peccable theory at the very hour of its destruction by external evidence as “cognitive dissonance”. I call it proof that many of the people I've talked to have said that Redmask and his foot soldiers should all be put up against a wall and given traitors' justice. Without commenting on that specifically I'd merely like to point out that I intend to anneal discourse with honesty, clear thinking, and a sense of moral good. That's the path that I have chosen. It's honestly not an easy path, but then again, the basal lie that underlies all of Redmask's nerdy soliloquies is that the Universe belongs to him by right. Translation: Truth is merely a social construct. I doubt you need any help from me to identify the supreme idiocy of those views, but you should nevertheless be aware that Redmask's reason is not true reason. It does not seek the truth but only bilious answers, nutty resolutions to conflicts. So, sorry for being so long-winded in this letter, but I am skeptical of efforts to produce a cynical definition of “mediterraneanization”.

Source

Scott Pakin's automatic complaint-letter generator

75. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 12:52 Redmask

Okay... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

He was being polite but I lack that filter, you ramble like an 85 year old widower with way too much time on his hands and obviously love to reread your own text. You can't blame everyone else when they can't be bothered to find the point buried in a such pile of shit. It shows a lack of respect for others time and it comes off as trying to bury opposing view points with chaff until people give up.

This isn't high school debate club. Get to the point or most people simply won't bother.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2017, 04:20 VaranDragon

Bob, I understand the point you're trying to make but I would say that there's a difference between insulting others and simply being negative. He definitely does the former but quite often I see people being upset with the latter, frequently when its about one of their ideas or opinions.

Unfortunately the admins need to enforce the personal attack rule and SC is either able to evade their enforcement actions or whatever. So in the end ignore is really the only tool people can use there. Asking for bans is pointless, hes been banned and continues coming back.

Also, I don't see Cutter engaging in direct and unprovoked personal attacks either .. unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Uh is this supposed to be funny? Run a search for moderated posts on his username and you will have your answer.

Anyways gone for the weekend and said my piece, cheers folks.

Verno is right. No need to call for bans. There are far worse trolls here than SC, most of the time when you read past the inflammatory superficial comments, even his flames are usually on target though they can be a bit much on occasion. In any case we are a small enough community as it is. Also a rare one where pretty much anyone can say whatever the fuck is on their mind. I don't know about you guys, but that is one of the main reasons why I keep returning to these boards here.

73. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:50 BobBob

Oops. Wrong thread.  

72. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:26 RedEye9

Okay...
You can be quite verbose and it's so much easier to just post versus reading posts.

71. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 15:23 Rigs

Okay... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

70. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 14:42 Verno

Bob, I understand the point you're trying to make but I would say that there's a difference between insulting others and simply being negative. He definitely does the former but quite often I see people being upset with the latter, frequently when its about one of their ideas or opinions.

Unfortunately the admins need to enforce the personal attack rule and SC is either able to evade their enforcement actions or whatever. So in the end ignore is really the only tool people can use there. Asking for bans is pointless, hes been banned and continues coming back.

Also, I don't see Cutter engaging in direct and unprovoked personal attacks either .. unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Uh is this supposed to be funny? Run a search for moderated posts on his username and you will have your answer.

Anyways gone for the weekend and said my piece, cheers folks.

69. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 14:27 BobBob

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:21:
BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:05:

I agree with your points. I'm not sure why some people are even putting up a fight. The person is a deliberate troll and should be banned -- reactively and proactively.

What's interesting about that Bob is that several times I have defended your right to post here even when others were saying you were a contentless troll. It wasn't that long ago that even Blue himself had exasperation with your posts.

There's a major difference, I don't engage in personal attacks. It would be like equating a violent criminal with a petty criminal and saying since both are a nuisance and they are exactly same: 'criminals'.

And, I hope you have noticed, I've chilled out quite a bit and try to contribute to the discussions, but I rarely ever criticize a person directly, unless in obvious jest and he/she knows I'm joking.

Can you say the same about the other person in question?

68. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 14:22 Rigs

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:03:
Blue makes those decisions ultimately and he's allowed this guy back several times. I noticed you use the word I a lot there but you need to remember this place doesn't just revolve around your needs.

I know what Blues role is here, thanks. I use the word 'I' a lot because I don't believe in speaking for everyone else. Thus the reason I made the post in the first place pretty much asking for opinions (you know, the whole 'vote' thing?). Obviously, I'm not the only one to have the opinion that they're tired of hearing his crap. Had I been a selfish little shit, I'd just have spammed the 'Report' button and bothered Blue while he was busy with more important things. I didn't.

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:03:
I see you arguing just as frequently as SC but often times you take it more seriously and it seems to escalate beyond what is necessary. In the past I had the same problem and I forced myself to take a step back and chill out a bit on here and not take it so seriously or insist on always getting the last word.

So perhaps a little rumination on your end before you start calling for bans.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'arguing just as frequently as SC'? I certainly don't put people down in every post I make. I try not to make people feel stupid because they disagree with something I say or I disagree with them. Like I said before, I even tried to be nice to him yesterday, asking just what his deal was and he couldn't even give me that. I'm a very open minded person, I think. I consider everyone's point of view and don't consider anyone's opinion to be less than my own. That's what four years on a high school debate team teaches you. And I actually did take a break for a time and said very little after our little argument months ago. Do I always try to get the last word? No, but I try to make sure that my side of the discussion/argument has been fully explained.

So, with all seriousness, I'm curious...should I've just kept my mouth shut? I've been here twenty years and change. I obviously like being here and I think if we all got together in some kind of big 'Con or meeting, I would consider many of you friends. I try not to step on anyone's toes but I do still have my opinions and they don't always mesh with the status quo. (Like my stance on Steam or on torrenting) I'm still going to defend my actions if I think they're right but I'm certainly not above admitting when I'm wrong. That's more than a lot of posters can say. If you feel I'm 'whiny', so be it. It's something I'll have to live with.

EDIT:
Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:21:
SC is an odd duckling but sometimes says some very insightful and penetrating comments. He doesn't have much of a bullshit filter but that's ok. Sometimes people need to be called out a bit. Does he take it too far sometimes? Sure. So does Cutter, in fact I would argue Cutter is far more toxic. If we're expected to tolerate him then people like SC are small potatoes.

'Too far sometimes'?! That's a serious understatement! Have you looked at his past posts?! Just like the last two or three months even?

I wouldn't mind giving Cutter a shove down the laundry shoot but it's not gonna happen. Much like Trump, he's just 'too big to fail'. Still, as much as I can't stand what Cutter says sometimes, he does participate much more than SC and doesn't constantly put people down, though when he does he goes WAY over the top. And then is when he should be reeled in.

=-Rigs-=

67. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 14:21 Verno

BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 14:05:

I agree with your points. I'm not sure why some people are even putting up a fight. The person is a deliberate troll and should be banned -- reactively and proactively.

What's interesting about that Bob is that several times I have defended your right to post here even when others were saying you were a contentless troll. It wasn't that long ago that even Blue himself had exasperation with your posts.

SC is an odd duckling but sometimes says some very insightful and penetrating comments. He doesn't have much of a bullshit filter but that's ok. Sometimes people need to be called out a bit. Does he take it too far sometimes? Sure. So does Cutter, in fact I would argue Cutter is far more toxic. If we're expected to tolerate him then people like SC are small potatoes.

Arguing to ban him is pointless as either tech limitations of this ancient BBS or admin inclination indicate that no one truly stays banned here anymore. People should use ignore or just accept the fact that we're all stuck with each other.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo