Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2017, 11:40 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 11:34:
Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 19:51:
BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 10:21:
Who has so much free time to watch these Youtubers?
Kjellberg is the most popular YouTube star on the planet. His videos have been viewed collectively more than 14 billion times.
In 2014, Kjellsberg made more than $7 million.

The question is not "who is watching", it's "who's not watching".

He made double that in 2015 and 2016.

I feel like I live in a cave, but I spend most of time outside.

That's kind of the best response I've seen here, haha.

I've watched a total of about 30 seconds of his stuff, I guess from back when he was video game oriented and now he's not? It hurt my head. But I'm not a 10 year old, so that's fine. A lot of stuff popular with 10 year olds hurts my head.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 17, 2017, 11:34 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:02:
Kjellberg is the most popular YouTube star on the planet. His videos have been viewed collectively more than 14 billion times.

I feel like I live in a cave, but I spend most of time outside.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 21:02 Beamer

-------------

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 19:51 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 19:46 RedEye9

BobBob wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 13:06:
There are only 128 falacies on that list but I feel as if I am guilty of at least 130. arrested development

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 18:31 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 17:46:
Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 10:26:
No one is stopping him from making these jokes, but people are unwilling to keep doing business with him when he is likely to harm their other businesses more than he helps them.

Beamer inadvertently makes a good point (though the opposite of what he thinks it is). The problem here is a problem of perception... just not PewDiePie's. The key is the ratio between who won't buy because of PewDiePie to those who will. The fact is that no one that I have seen has any kind of numbers (that they are willing to share) about this ratio.

The issue today (unlike in the days of business past) is that every decision a company make results in internet butthurt. There is literally no announcement a company can make that won't result in some snowflake somewhere twitter-ranting. The risk-averse decrepit corpses running the vast majority of the gigantic corporations have no idea what "public" approbation actually is on modern social media.

Once upon a time, three dozen paper letters mailed in to a company represented three thousand other people who were angry but didn't have the motivation to write themselves. On twitter, every twit can babble about whatever whine that careens off of their empty heads, only to forget about it five minutes later. It costs nothing to complain, so more complaints are inevitable.

These companies seemingly have no idea what the actual effect of a social media storm actually is. Does it kill your business? Does it spawn the next Chik-Fil-A and double your business (until you fall out of the public eye)? Or is it a tempest in a teapot with no actual sales effect? I don't think they know. They are applying the old model to modern media. They are assuming that PewDiePie will hurt them, when no one who isn't already media savvy has any idea who he is. PewDiePie isn't the only idiot in this situation...

Disney knows far, far, far, far better than you do.

And losing business isn't just customers. It's partners and vendors. It's directors or producers you may need deals with. And it's employees. You don't want employees to question what you're doing. And, not to mention, the people making these decisions may also be people who dislike what he says.

Ultimately, despite what alt-right people claim, ultimately they're not who companies want to be working with or want working for them. They look after the employees that try not to be offensive, not the ones that feel like it's a right that needs to be exercised.

-------------

12. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 18:12 descender

These companies seemingly have no idea what the actual effect of a social media storm actually is. Does it kill your business? Does it spawn the next Chik-Fil-A and double your business (until you fall out of the public eye)?

What makes you think they don't know by now what the effects are? Twitter is 10 years old already. We've seen some pretty good examples of what happens when social media turns against you for ethics and morals. If you think billion dollar companies are still just guessing at this social media thing, I've got a bridge to sell you.

You answered your own question with Chick-fil-a. You may see a short term bump in business due to backlash in either direction, but the long-term effect is always going to be less people willing to go into your store for reasons unrelated to your product. You are now not only fighting against the quality of your own product but the morals of society.

A smart company knows to stay the fuck away from anyone dumb enough to say the things that would upset anyone in either direction. PR departments weren't invented with the launch of social media, corporations are well aware of the value of public perception.

There is no blame to be placed. They are all technically correct in their actions. The idiot in this situation is the one complaining about it after the fact when he knew and admitted he was going too far in the past. Felix can say whatever he wants when he is representing himself on his own content channel, but when he takes money to represent other brands and businesses he can't complain if they don't like what he says in public. He is either standing up for first amendment rights or he isn't, he doesn't get to pick and choose who gets them.

If what he is saying really isn't "such a big deal" then he should have no problem finding a company willing to take him on now that he isn't working with Disney, right? Wouldn't that be the free-market proving him right if he were actually... right?

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2017, 18:40.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 17:46 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 10:26:
No one is stopping him from making these jokes, but people are unwilling to keep doing business with him when he is likely to harm their other businesses more than he helps them.

Beamer inadvertently makes a good point (though the opposite of what he thinks it is). The problem here is a problem of perception... just not PewDiePie's. The key is the ratio between who won't buy because of PewDiePie to those who will. The fact is that no one that I have seen has any kind of numbers (that they are willing to share) about this ratio.

The issue today (unlike in the days of business past) is that every decision a company make results in internet butthurt. There is literally no announcement a company can make that won't result in some snowflake somewhere twitter-ranting. The risk-averse decrepit corpses running the vast majority of the gigantic corporations have no idea what "public" approbation actually is on modern social media.

Once upon a time, three dozen paper letters mailed in to a company represented three thousand other people who were angry but didn't have the motivation to write themselves. On twitter, every twit can babble about whatever whine that careens off of their empty heads, only to forget about it five minutes later. It costs nothing to complain, so more complaints are inevitable.

These companies seemingly have no idea what the actual effect of a social media storm actually is. Does it kill your business? Does it spawn the next Chik-Fil-A and double your business (until you fall out of the public eye)? Or is it a tempest in a teapot with no actual sales effect? I don't think they know. They are applying the old model to modern media. They are assuming that PewDiePie will hurt them, when no one who isn't already media savvy has any idea who he is. PewDiePie isn't the only idiot in this situation...

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 13:06 BobBob

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 01:16:
Getting someone on fiverr to say "death to all jews" for $5 is fucking hilarious, and I'm a jew.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 10:26 Beamer

Pigeon wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 08:33:
Dude makes millions being a huge goofus on you-tube because he's/was paid by Disney et al. If he thought he could sellout and still do whatever he wanted, then he doesn't just play the part of an idiot he is an idiot. Any adult should know you adjust your behavior to the environment you're in.

Yup. Especially Disney. Disney has divested itself of virtually everything it can't put everywhere. It sold Miramax and shut down Touchstone because those studios made things that couldn't go onto ABC, The Disney Channel, and the parks.

It focuses its resources exclusively on properties it can put in multiple channels. That means not saying things like "Kill All Jews," even in jest.

Being an adult realizes there are repercussions to your speech. No one is stopping him from making these jokes, but people are unwilling to keep doing business with him when he is likely to harm their other businesses more than he helps them.

-------------

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 10:21 BobBob

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 08:33 Pigeon

Dude makes millions being a huge goofus on you-tube because he's/was paid by Disney et al. If he thought he could sellout and still do whatever he wanted, then he doesn't just play the part of an idiot he is an idiot. Any adult should know you adjust your behavior to the environment you're in.  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 06:42 mellis

Jesus christ, it's not surprizing that the mainstream media doesn't "get" gaming youtube personality humour, but 50 million people do.

Except the problem is he's contracted by large every-man corporations. They don't like anything that can be perceived as damaging to their brand and frankly that's entirely understandable. So easily a statement or endorsement can be taken out of context and so quickly can misinformation propagate. Next thing Coca Cola is fielding a sea of negative publicity across multiple countries with people throwing their products on the street - all captured on YouTube (or Facebook Live or Twitter etc), or Disney is facing a wide-scale boycott of its latest expensive CGI movie drivel etc.

They don't want the negative publicity because it directly impacts their bottom line. They want middle of the road inoffensive content with maybe a few risqué remarks to keep it fresh but certainly nothing that advocates political allegiances or social ideals because that doesn't help them peddle their wares to their target audience; *everybody*.

It shows frankly poor judgement and a degree of naivety on the part of PewDiePie. He should have realised that there are always strings attached.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 04:45 Agent-Zero

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 02:59:
Wouldn't jews be the most sensitive towards people being crucified?

Good try tho, partial credit.

hmmm - go ask Mel Gibson about that one, sweet tits

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 03:56 DangerDog

silly rabbit, only Jews are allowed to make jokes about Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVK_OqyUzk

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 02:59 Slick

Wouldn't jews be the most sensitive towards people being crucified?

Good try tho, partial credit.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 02:23 Agent-Zero

Jesus christ, it's not surprizing that the mainstream media doesn't "get" gaming youtube personality humour, but 50 million people do.

I can only assume that their heads would literally explode if they ever checked out /b

Getting someone on fiverr to say "death to all jews" for $5 is fucking hilarious, and I'm a jew.

People complain about the alt-right, but it's this "alt-left" oversensitive apologist PC movement that really scares me. Bitches need to stop taking everything as a micro-aggression.

crazy world.. hes a jew and even he is worried about this guy getting crucified

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 01:16 Slick

I can only assume that their heads would literally explode if they ever checked out /b

People complain about the alt-right, but it's this "alt-left" oversensitive apologist PC movement that really scares me. Bitches need to stop taking everything as a micro-aggression.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >