Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Access Free Trial

Origin is now offering a seven-day free trial of Origin Access, the subscription service that allows unlimited access to a library of games, early access to some games, and a discount on purchases. The free trial requires signing up for the service, but you can cancel at any time. Continuing past the free trial will cost either $4.99/month or $29.99/year. Here's the deal:

Try FREE for 7 days – Limited time only!

Explore an instant collection of great PC games and play as much as you want. Origin Access members also get to try new EA games before they’re released and save 10% on Origin purchases*.

Join now for your free 7-day trial, then it's just $4.99 a month or $29.99 a year. Cancel anytime.

ONLY FOR PC

Unlimited access to full PC games

• Download and play an instant collection of 50+ great PC titles.
  • Dive into blockbuster hits from franchises like Battlefield, Dragon Age, The Sims, and many more. See all games.
  • Explore indie favorites including Torchlight II, The Banner Saga, and Mini Metro.
  • More games are added over time.

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

83. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 03:02 descender

Yeah, the majority of gaming public really gives two shits about the bellyaching you read around here regarding EA/Origin. Rolleyes No one cares about most if any of those things outside of a small (albeit vocal) minority of PC gaming elitists. Basically... entitled whiny douchebags. You really think most gamers actually care about these things? That is hilarious. EA sells millions of copies of their shovelware games every year and you think 4 people complaining about it on Blues is a sign of mass rebellion? There are not "millions of people" out there saying any of these things, Mr. Trump... the millions of people are the ones simply buying their games on Origin and not complaining about any of this.

You can call it "just a storefront" all you want, I don't care how wrong you are. If that were actually the case it would have some pretty stiff and direct competition right now from the other 20 "just storefronts" out there. It doesn't, though... so it must be offering something more than the other "just storefronts" are currently offering, mustn't it? I can't imagine why everyone else is trying to emulate all of the Steam features that aren't "just the storefront part" if that is all it really is.

We would all be so much better off if every developer had to run their own digital delivery services and you had to keep track of 200 different ISO's, patch them all manually and expect that developer to host the files for years beyond their budget allows for. I guess they would just pay for all of that with magic? Since Valve "does nothing for game developers" then you must think the world would be a better place if games like Starbound didn't exist... right?

Your horrendous attempts at math and budget analysis only show that you really don't understand how this works. Development costs are static. They are not a continually rolling "50%" of all future sales unless you are hosting your own digital storefront in-house, which would THEN actually be a rolling cost which is exactly WHY developers pay Steam for hosting instead.

When a game releases it has a set cost barring some post release technical support/patching. After the initial development costs are paid off the developer is still taking in 70% of their sales as profit. That is way more than Valve gets. You keep saying "the developer should get more than Valve does". THEY DO so long as they sell enough copies to cross that threshold. If your game doesn't sell enough copies to cover the initial development costs, the difference between Steam taking 5% or 30% really wasn't going to change that. Your game was still going to fail.

It's far cheaper and easier for smaller developers to pay Steam for "what they use" as a percentage of every sale actually made instead of paying a hosting company up front for "what they think you might need" for sales they haven't actually made yet. That up front cost is a far larger stumbling block for small developers to overcome than any cut that Steam takes of their sales because they have to come up with it before they have made any money.

And then again with the name calling... Grow up. We can have this conversation in a civil manner... or you can continue to be an emotional trainwreck. You decide.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2017, 04:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:31 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 17:02:
People don't shop on Steam because of some fanciful boycott that you've concocted in your head... they shop there because there is no alternative service that offers even 1/10th what they get by purchasing through Steam.

What, forums? a curator list?

It's a fucking storefront. it's online DRM, file hosting and a payment processor.

It's fundamentally identical to any other online storefront. You use it to buy games. That's it. Claiming that the bullshit bloat added to Steam is THE reason why people use it totally disregards the fact that Steam still had it's monstrous market share BEFORE any of those bloaty features ever existed.

And you dismiss the culture of pc gamers who inherently hate and distrust anything other than Steam.

*coughSHILLcough*

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

81. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:13 Slick

Lol, you're right this whole boycott of any storefront other than Steam is all imaginary. I've never heard of anyone say something to the tune of:

"I want to play the new battlefield, but I'll never install Origin"

"That free game looks nice, but I'll never install Uplay"

"I'd buy this if it was on Steam"

"I haven't ever installed Origin, and I never will"

"Does this sale apply to Steam?"

"Never touching Uplay, When will greedy devs stop trying to force me to use their shitty storefront, I only buy on Steam."

You can pretend all you want, but your "ministry of truth" tactics to disavow a very real, VERY vocal portion of PC gamers isn't very convincing.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

80. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 17:02 descender

You can't do anything about it when millions of people have an active boycott of any other platform other than Steam
The problem is the army of nincompoops that will only shop at one store.

These are called baseless assumptions.

People don't shop on Steam because of some fanciful boycott that you've concocted in your head... they shop there because there is no alternative service that offers even 1/10th what they get by purchasing through Steam. You can try to figure out this chicken and egg scenario until you are blue in the face but your over-reliance on blaming "stupid people" causes your arguments to fall flat. No one is impressed by your need to badger and disparage others to prove your point.

I thought competition was healthy for a marketplace, no? You can't open another store when the customers have made it clear that they will only shop at one place.

Competition is literally playing out in the marketplace and you are just whining that Valve is winning it.

When a viable alternative to Steam presents itself and people are able to make a legitimate choice between equal services then maybe you will start to see Valve reduce their take because developers will have more options. This premise that "you can't open a store because a better one exists" is just so blatantly wrong I don't know where to start. New stores are opened literally all the time and Walmart existing isn't putting them all out of business. Only the ones with shit business models. GOG, Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA's Origin and a host of other digital storefronts haven't gone out of business because of "big bad steam" they just don't do as much business because they also don't offer as much of a service.

If you want to wheel your argument all the way back to "Steam's cut is detrimental to developers with shitty business models" then I will happily accept that. This is the only salient point I've been able to discern from your ramblings.

79. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:45 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 16:04:
If Steam's conditions for having products on their site were as egregious as you seem to think they are -- we'd be hearing a lot more complaining about it and people would be doing something about it.

You can't do anything about it when millions of people have an active boycott of any other platform other than Steam.

I really don't know what you think could be done by the developers, this is their reality, list on Steam, or go bankrupt.

The problem is the army of nincompoops that will only shop at one store.

I thought competition was healthy for a marketplace, no? You can't open another store when the customers have made it clear that they will only shop at one place. You can open all the other stores you want, they'll all go bankrupt if there's an active continually perpetuated boycott of all other stores by the majority of prospective customers.

78. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:42 Slick

Sigh, it's pointless. I've said my point, if you don't agree that developers who built the games you love should *ON PRINCIPLE* be paid more than the middleman who does *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING* towards game development, then there's simply no convincing you. And people call me a shill LOL. Is there anything more shilly than shilling for the megalithic multi-billion dollar corp that often gets more money than developers, while contributing nothing to game development?

The stockholm syndrome is real.

I point out that the issue is the millions of zealots that have OPENLY claimed that they will only buy games on Steam, and you seem to be disregarding this as a thing. Look at any thread mentioning origin or uplay on BN, there's a large percentage of people who always post to say: "not touching this unless it's on Steam".

But for some reason, with this unavoidable market reality, you're confused as to why developers feel that they need to list their products on essentially the only store in town. If they DON'T list on steam, it means near-certain financial ruin for the studio. It's a fact of PC game development, go Steam or go Home. They don't REALLY have a choice, if they want their studio to remain solvent. Steam abuses this power structure to charge an astronomical markup for their services (file hosting, and payment processing, everything else is extraneous and has NOTHING to do with game development).

I don't understand why you're siding with the middleman, and claiming that the people who put YEARS of their lives, and put their financial stability ON THE LINE to make a videogame for you to enjoy, deserve less credit than Steam, a bank of computers that offer a file hosting service that can take credit cards.

It really is ludicrous.

77. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 16:04 Mr. Tact

I don't buy your analogy of the mob or Walmart. Yeah, millions shop at Walmart, there are also millions that don't, myself included. Yeah, Walmart closed down a lot of smaller retailers, but there are still plenty of others around.

You seem to be ranting against the "Millions of people have said that they will only shop at Walmart. They're the problem." Do you scream at the wind too? I stand by what I said previously. If Steam's conditions for having products on their site were as egregious as you seem to think they are -- we'd be hearing a lot more complaining about it and people would be doing something about it. Yes, setting up a distribution site is not a minor task, but devs would flock to support one if the option of using Steam was so damaging.

Someone would become the Walmart of software distribution, lower prices -- if Steam was the IBM, unbending status quo.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

76. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 15:48 JohnnyRotten

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:53:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:47:
And that's why nobody sells on Steam... it's just not worth it.

People sell on steam because of dumbshit zealots that refuse to shop anywhere other than Walmart.

As I've said, 20% of something is better than %100 of nothing.

I don't even blame Valve for this shit, it's an ingenious business platform. They pay zero money towards game development, take zero risk, and often get more profit than the devs themselves get. It's brilliant.

And as long as this idea perpetuates that GabeN is the second coming of jesus, and all other storefronts are the devil, then they'll continue to make billions a year, and put zero of that back into actually making games. Pretty good racket for a so-called "video game developer".

You're just stacking assumption on wild guess on supposition here.

It's an open market - developers can choose any distributor, or decide to create their own storefront solution as well. The fact that so few do so is a sign that Valve provides a set of services and market presence that is the best path for success and profitability.

You may not like that fact, but the sheer mass of developers and publishers releasing products under Steam indicates that buyers and sellers are voting against you with their wallet.

Just my $.02. I don't have dog in this hunt.

75. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 15:39 Slick

Oh, and Valve actually makes any company that signs with them sign an NDCA, so technically nobody knows what the cut is. But it's been clearly established through leaks and the general consensus of the PC developer community that it's 30%. This figure pops up again and again over the last 15 years.  

74. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 15:36 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 08:52:
1) Do you have any actual evidence Valve is taking 30%?

2) Even if they are, in the example you give, if Cogcentric was doing what you claim Valve is -- you would have known prior to starting your seminar business about the issues of dealing with Cogcentric. And you'd have to make business decision about either living with it, or finding another way.

I don't really see where the problem is. Assuming you are right, yeah 30% off the top sounds like it might be a bit steep. But if it is nearly as egregious as you seemed to think it is -- it sure seems likely to me we'd both hear more complaints about it and see some action to battle it.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Like I've said, 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

If any developer openly fought Valve on this, first of all they'd lose the one avenue to sell their games where they might actually hit their intended audience with enough numbers to cover all of their development costs (NOT lose the house). Second, they'd make a terrible name for themselves by going up against "Saint GabeN". There's a reason why that picture exists. Millions of people have said that they will only shop at walmart. They're the problem.

When the mafia middleman is taking their cut as that's the only way to do business in your town, you don't start picking a fight with them.

It's not Steam's fault as I've said many times, it's the public's fault. They let Steam get away with this. Steam is just doing what any good corporation would do, and is maximizing profit while minimizing risk and billable hours.

73. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 08:52 Mr. Tact

1) Do you have any actual evidence Valve is taking 30%?

2) Even if they are, in the example you give, if Cogcentric was doing what you claim Valve is -- you would have known prior to starting your seminar business about the issues of dealing with Cogcentric. And you'd have to make business decision about either living with it, or finding another way.

I don't really see where the problem is. Assuming you are right, yeah 30% off the top sounds like it might be a bit steep. But if it is nearly as egregious as you seemed to think it is -- it sure seems likely to me we'd both hear more complaints about it and see some action to battle it.

72. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 00:42 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 23:00:
some woefully misguided morals you are clinging on to.

Yes, wanting to see the people who put years of their life into creating the games I love get rewarded for their efforts, and not line the pockets of middlemen who have nothing to do with game development. "misguided morals" indeed. Rolleyes

71. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 17, 2017, 00:35 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 22:29:
As far as the "diehard fanbois" *shrug* if Steam was half as bad as some people claim they wouldn't do half the business they do.

Steam isn't bad, it's just very lopsided for people and developers who have no other viable way to sell their games, because these "diehard fanbois" (aka most PC gamers) won't buy games if they're not on Steam. That's the whole problem.

Let me give you an example of what I consider to be a fair practise.

I run educational seminars for blockchain technologies. I use Cogcentric to host all the online components of my course. They provide a comprehensive way for me to integrate live quizzes during the seminars, and post-seminar continuing education for students who are hungry for more. They host content such as videos and audio files (admittedly nowhere near as big as a AAA game), oh AND they handle all my payment processing.

I charge $200 USD for each seminar, their fees is between 3$ and 4$. So 1.5-2%. That's fair. That's reasonable. Also considering that the development costs for producing my seminars is FAR lower than producing a video game from scratch, I'd be fine with paying more than I do.

If my internal costs were $100 per student (50%), and Cocgentric took 60$ (30%), that would leave me with $40 (20%) per $200 ticket sold. I take the risk to rent the conference hall at a hotel, I take the risk to pay for all the print, tv, and radio marketing, I do all of the work, and IF (and that's a big IF) I succeed, I'd get very little in return. If I fail, I could lose my house. Cogcentric risks nothing, and does absolutely none of the product development. If people come to my seminar, they get paid, if they don't it's no loss of theirs. They have a server somewhere that's doing all of the real work required of them, with almost zero human billable hours required past setting up my accounts.

To me that's a pretty bad scenario for the content creator (me). And the only way that would happen is if the majority of potential students made sure that I didn't build my own platform to sell my seminars, because they were VERY vocal and nigh-militant that they'll ONLY buy it if I go through Cogcentric.

70. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 23:00 descender

You don't get to arbitrarily decide that every game developer spends 50% on those things. You don't get to make up numbers and then decide that Valve's cut is too high because the number you just made up is lower.

"Buddy", you have no idea what their service costs and you are repeatedly highlighting that. Just give it up already, I do not accept your batshit premise of the percentages that you are putting forth.

You obviously can't produce evidence of a single developer complaining about this or that these are real world numbers or you wouldn't have ignored that request 3 times. You hate Steam for reasons that you've made up in your head that the people you are trying to "defend" don't seem to share. Who cares?

edit: And the more I try to look this up and find any "evidence" you would even put forth... the more I see that developers have basically always got the smallest piece when dealing with consoles. They currently get the highest cut of their game by either selling it themselves (on PC) or selling it through Steam. They are getting the highest percentage of their profit with the most exposure and the least overhead that they ever had in the history of game development and you've convinced yourself that this is somehow evil and they should have to suffer and sell less games because of some woefully misguided morals you are clinging on to. Find me a developer that actually shares your woes or kindly just stop talking about it.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2017, 23:11.

69. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 22:29 Mr. Tact

I could buy an argument that Steam isn't all peaches and cream for independent game developers, however Slick's opinion seems likely to be at least a bit overstated. It seems to me if was really THAT bad for the game devs. they would have banded together and created an alternative. It would be interesting to know the exact details of the deals, especially for successful games. Say something like Factorio, which I know was doing pretty well before they were on Steam.

I would say if any current game developer is bitching about it, they have no one to blame but themselves. This isn't exactly hidden information. As far as the "diehard fanbois" *shrug* if Steam was half as bad as some people claim they wouldn't do half the business they do. Yeah, they aren't perfect -- no person or business is. Being first gets you a lot of credit -- ask Henry Ford. But it isn't necessary all important, ask Friendster or MySpace, who turned down a chance to buy Facebook for $75m.

68. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 21:59 Sepharo

Yep any positive thing they attribute to Steam is actually nonsense, they've been brainwashed.  

67. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 21:53 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 21:47:

People sell on steam because of dumbshit zealots that refuse to shop anywhere other than Walmart.

As I've said, 20% of something is better than %100 of nothing.

I don't even blame Valve for this shit, it's an ingenious business platform. They pay zero money towards game development, take zero risk, and often get more profit than the devs themselves get. It's brilliant.

And as long as this idea perpetuates that GabeN is the second coming of jesus, and all other storefronts are the devil, then they'll continue to make billions a year, and put zero of that back into actually making games. Pretty good racket for a so-called "video game developer".

66. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 21:47 Sepharo

65. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 21:22 Slick

If paying employees, renting an office, marketing and promo, QA, dedicated servers, post game support ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. costs 50% of gross. Valve gets 30%, and the devs get 20%.

The people who made the game shouldn't be getting less than the middleman, who contributes NOTHING TO GAME DEVELOPMENT.

That's all I'm saying, and I'm sorry that this doesn't satisfy your idea that 30% is "just fine".

The fact that you're fine with Valve taking possibly more profit than the game devs themselves just shows who you're really interested in supporting when you defend the throngs of people who will never shop anywhere else than Steam.

You say:

When did you decide 30% was just "too damn high"? If it was 29% would you be complaining? 25%? At what point is their cut low enough to satisfy your bizarre idea of what it actually takes to run their service?

Buddy, their service costs maybe 5 or 10 cents per customer. And they're charging nearly $20.00 on a $60.00 game. That's a markup of 20,000% to 40,000%. You're defending them taking home more than the game developers, you're out of your mind.

/thread

64. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 16, 2017, 20:29 descender

You realise that if you buy a product at retail, and it's broken, by law you are entitled to have the retailer deal with the problem.
You realize that the law you quoted literally does not say that. It guaruntees you a refund for a defective or broken product. Not technical support from the retailer or help fixing it.

You know what publishers also require for that money? Games that aren't personal projects and pipedreams.

When did you decide 30% was just "too damn high"? If it was 29% would you be complaining? 25%? At what point is their cut low enough to satisfy your bizarre idea of what it actually takes to run their service?

Where is the game developer complaining about this? Stop dodging this question. You wouldn't have to get so hyped up and try to yell to suppress me if you had any financial data to point to that proves out this is actually a problem.

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo