Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending

Frontier Developments explains they have ended sales of Elite Dangerous Arena, the standalone combat spinoff of Elite Dangerous, their space sim (thanks Eurogamer). They say most players are accessing Arena through the main game client anyway, and that ending the standalone version will mean they have fewer builds to support, though they also say that those who already own Arena will be able to access the game as before. Here's the explanation, which was posted a few days ago on the Frontier Forums by senior community manager Edward Lewis:

'Elite Dangerous: Arena will be removed from sale on Steam, Frontier store, and on the Xbox store. This change is planned for later today.

We’ve been looking at our metrics which suggest that the vast majority of new and regular Arena players tend to play Arena through the main Elite Dangerous client rather than the standalone Arena one. We’ve made the decision to remove the standalone version of Elite Dangerous: Arena in order to reduce the number of builds that have to be maintained and managed across Steam, Xbox One and in 2Q'17 PlayStation Network, as well as clarifying the choices for new players of Elite Dangerous on these storefronts.

Elite Dangerous: Arena continues to be available and supported as part of the wider Elite Dangerous game. Existing and new players that join the Elite Dangerous galaxy will continue to be able to enjoy the fast-paced action of Arena through the main menu. Existing Elite Dangerous: Arena client owners will still be able to enjoy Arena as they have always done.

Not much change but we just wanted to give you a quick heads up, to avoid any confusion.'

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2017, 09:43 Bundy

Even when you play Elite in Open Mode it might as well be offline. Unless you go to a community goal or a hotspot, you'll rarely bump into other people. With the Solo Mode they have I'm not sure why people with good internet are clamoring for an offline mode. I understand if your internet is crappy, but for most folks it's not an issue. I doubt this alone would have created a sales bonanza. The game has bigger shortcomings than this, like a stale and shallow universe with oversimplified gameplay.

Mod support would have been great though. The community could have filled in the gaps faster than they currently are.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2017, 13:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2017, 04:37 CJ_Parker

Well, now... they never promised mod support. In fact the KS FAQ reads...

Will you be able to script your own missions for your friends to play through?

It's something I'd like to see, but supporting dev tools externally is not something we'd want to do on day one. Down the line, maybe...

Yes, it is kind of lame that they dropped offline play at the last minute and that they did not communicate it sooner but it is just about the only KS promise they broke. "Dev tools" a.k.a mod support was communicated as a "maybe" from day one as we can see and it may still be coming somewhere down the line.

Compare this to the fucking liars from Larian, Obsidian, CIG or inXile, all of whom underdelivered massively with their fraudulent pitches and Frontier appears like a shining white knight with only a very minor shit stain comparatively.

Seriously, E:D has been a decent deal for early backers. Backers like me received the Horizons season pass for free and we have gotten a lot of awesome content for free that was not part of the original deal and that other devs would have charged for double and triple...

Besides, I have a feeling that Frontier has a long term plan which incorporates offline. There will come a point when expansions won't sell anymore and when they will feel like shutting down the servers and that's when they will release an offline mode, I'm sure.
It's the ace up their sleeve. They must know due to the popularity of their Tycoon games that an offline E:D with mod tools would be a very viable way to expand the game's lifetime beyond its online life.

Until then I can not blame them for not handing out a freebie to pirates like Cutter who is just pissed he ain't able to download this for nada.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 21:30 Rigs

Tom wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 18:17:
CQC was a pathetic super low effort attempt at extracting more profit from this turd. What they're not telling you about their metrics is that most people who tried to play CQC gave up after leaving matchmaking going for 5, 10, 30 minutes and still not getting into a game.

Has there ever been a worse company when it comes to multiplayer support?

As much as I'm pained to say it, 343 Industries with the Master Chief Collection was one of the worst implementations of multiplayer matchmaking in online history, as far as I'm concerned. Especially from people that should have known better.

I consider E:D to be an MMO more than anything else. And, again, as much as I'm pained to agree with Cutter (ugh), if E:D had a substantial offline mode (it sorta does now but I know what he means) and mod support, it would have been leagues better. Mod support alone would have shot it out of the park. Considering the older releases of Elite had this, Frontier had to have known there was a huge mod community just waiting for a new Elite to come out. To wait for 'Elite 4' all these years (decades even), several false starts and all that time with no word then have it appear practically out of nowhere with the promise of an offline mode (and thus possible mod support), only to be kicked in the face at the last minute by Braben himself and then wonder why gamers don't have faith in triple-A developers anymore? It's right in front of you, mate, just look at history. Sigh

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 18:17 Tom

CQC was a pathetic super low effort attempt at extracting more profit from this turd. What they're not telling you about their metrics is that most people who tried to play CQC gave up after leaving matchmaking going for 5, 10, 30 minutes and still not getting into a game.

Has there ever been a worse company when it comes to multiplayer support?

2. Re: Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending Feb 14, 2017, 17:24 Cutter

Well if they made it offline like they originally promised they would have sold a lot more. That and allow mods and the game would have been a smash hit, but they're the obviously the smartest guys in the room, right?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending Feb 14, 2017, 13:12 BIGtrouble77

Seems like Frontier thought CQC was going to be far more effective at bringing in new players to Elite than it actually was. I guess the extra work of managing it as a separate package just isn't worth it anymore.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo