For Honor Beta Concludes Today

The For Honor: War of Factions beta will conclude today, and Ubisoft tweets that this has succeeded in attracting almost three million players, saying, "Nearly 3 million players and growing. Are you ready to pledge your sword?" With the full release of the sword fighting game expected on Tuesday, a launch trailer is available to get everyone hyped. For those still participating in the beta, an article on VG247 offers nine essential tips toward success.

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today
Feb 13, 2017, 21:27
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 21:27
Feb 13, 2017, 21:27

No I hadn't, but that doesn't seem to be a game that you actually play... Surely you see the difference between [very roughly] animating toy soldiers you spend hardly any time watching up close and what they had to do for Chivalry?

Re: On Sale
Feb 13, 2017, 15:25
Kxmode

Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 15:25
Feb 13, 2017, 15:25
 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 11:45:
More than a little, it has zero effect on gameplay and did nothing to deter millions of people from buying it (before it even released on consoles). It's a side effect of reconciling unhindered first-person movements with the third-person models, without making it look even weirder by anchoring the hand to the proper position and having the arm stretch back and forth like taffy.

Sure, indie devs could be called amateurs for not having an 8-figure budget for their art department, but take three guesses at how many fucks they give...

Have you seen Epic Battle Simulator? It's in early alpha. THOUSANDS of soldiers on a battlefield and all of them hold their weapons correctly.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 13, 2017, 15:23
Kxmode

Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 15:23
Feb 13, 2017, 15:23
 Kxmode

Numinar wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 07:20:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 17:57:
rawbelly wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 17:25:
Wanted the combat to feel like Chivalry.

Why would the Chivalry developers include this screenshot on the Steam store page showing terrible hand placement? It looks bad. Like amateurish bad.

Sounds a little pedantic. Do any games get this kind of thing right? And also support 64 player online melee? I hazard to guess that most compromises would be due to having to animate and model something that works in first person and for external observers/opponents.

It's not pedantic, and no, many games get this kind of thing right. The devs can put any number of screenshots on their Steam store page. Choosing that particular one is hilarious.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 13, 2017, 11:45
Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 11:45
Feb 13, 2017, 11:45

Numinar wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 07:20:

Why would the Chivalry developers include this screenshot on the Steam store page showing terrible hand placement? It looks bad. Like amateurish bad.

Sounds a little pedantic. Do any games get this kind of thing right? And also support 64 player online melee? I hazard to guess that most compromises would be due to having to animate and model something that works in first person and for external observers/opponents.

More than a little, it has zero effect on gameplay and did nothing to deter millions of people from buying it (before it even released on consoles). It's a side effect of reconciling unhindered first-person movements with the third-person models, without making it look even weirder by anchoring the hand to the proper position and having the arm stretch back and forth like taffy.

Sure, indie devs could be called amateurs for not having an 8-figure budget for their art department, but take three guesses at how many fucks they give...

Feb 13, 2017, 10:46
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 10:46
Feb 13, 2017, 10:46

Kalthorn wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 08:16:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 18:31:
...currently the top players in the beta use m/kb. If you want an example, arteezy a pro gamer with over a million dollars in tournament winnings streams it often and he teams up w/ / plays against some of the best players currently in the game and he specifically said he was gonna buy the gamepad to be better and was told not to do that.
So maybe lay off the literally made me LOL bs a bit when you clearly don't know what you are talking about

I might be confused by your wording, but it seems like your supporting evidence would be a lot stronger if the pro gamer person in the story actually agreed with you. Instead he says controller is better but someone tells him "nuh uh!"

Apparently you thought that line of reasoning was so unassailable that merely quoting it here for others would not only convince them, but would justify an extra helping of trash talk.

So watch out, thecakeisalie, apparently one guy told this other guy "not to do that" so clearly you are full of shit.

Arteezy is not a pro gamer of For Honor, he is a pro dota player and obviously very good a many games. He plays with mkb and since he was learning For Honor by playing with the current top players of the beta, he mistakenly thought a controller would be easier and commented/asked as such. The top players of For Honor told him not to do that, it was better to stick to mkb to be the best. If you wish to call the currently best players of the beta "some other guy", whatever I guess?

Feb 13, 2017, 08:53
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 08:53
Feb 13, 2017, 08:53

This game always seemed like a console focused title, though I'll probably give it a try as I do love medieval combat games.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to Mordhau, a decidedly PC focused combat game: https://mordhau.com/

Melee combat preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-B4AwgArwA

Feb 13, 2017, 08:45
Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 08:45
Feb 13, 2017, 08:45

Well, in their defense, the POB for on that warhammer would be about 2 inches from the head, making it uncomfortable to carry around perpendicular to your body with your hands on the 'hilt' area for any amount of time.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Feb 13, 2017, 08:16
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 08:16
Feb 13, 2017, 08:16

...currently the top players in the beta use m/kb. If you want an example, arteezy a pro gamer with over a million dollars in tournament winnings streams it often and he teams up w/ / plays against some of the best players currently in the game and he specifically said he was gonna buy the gamepad to be better and was told not to do that.
So maybe lay off the literally made me LOL bs a bit when you clearly don't know what you are talking about

I might be confused by your wording, but it seems like your supporting evidence would be a lot stronger if the pro gamer person in the story actually agreed with you. Instead he says controller is better but someone tells him "nuh uh!"

Apparently you thought that line of reasoning was so unassailable that merely quoting it here for others would not only convince them, but would justify an extra helping of trash talk.

So watch out, thecakeisalie, apparently one guy told this other guy "not to do that" so clearly you are full of shit.

Feb 13, 2017, 07:20
Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 07:20
Feb 13, 2017, 07:20

Feb 13, 2017, 02:47
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 02:47
Feb 13, 2017, 02:47

"This video is not available".

Heh.

Feb 13, 2017, 00:46
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 00:46
Feb 13, 2017, 00:46

Sigh. Didn't find the time to play it.

Feb 12, 2017, 21:40
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 21:40
Feb 12, 2017, 21:40

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 16:55:
Trevellian wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 16:29:
thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 12:20:
If you're a PC user, don't pre-order and wait for the reviews. Don't fall for the hype.

Once you buy into the main game, which is designed primarily for consoles (so much so that trying to play without a console controller on PC is awkward at best), you'll be pretty much forced to buy the Season Pass/DLC if you want to keep playing online so you're looking at a huge chunk of money. This being Ubisoft, there are even microtransactions on top of this.

Caveat emptor. Cheers.

Incorrect, it uses the same business model they did with R6 Siege where every map released each season is free and every new operator is buyable with in game currency, the Season Pass is simply a shortcut to not have to spend in game currency on said opeators. Please understand a games microtransaction system if you're going to dig on it. R6/For Honor have one of the fairest Season Content systems out there and other games should take notice of it because it doesn't split the community with Map Packs like BF and COD do.

Also two of the guys I played the Beta with preferred keyboard completely over controller. I feel like a lot of people here on Blues are just looking for shit to complain about to the point they'll make anything up to dig on Ubisoft anymore.

Ok, this is like the argument people made for Infinite Warfare before they put in Supply-Drop-only crap in; that you could simply grind for whatever you wanted. Yeah, you can grind but good luck with that. If you want to grind for hundreds of hours to avoid shelling out for a Season Pass, go for it. Most people won't do that and will buy the Season Pass/DLC. Also, trying to say that the game doesn't play better on a console controller on the PC literally made me LOL. Seriously mate. That was funny.

Pre-ordering is silly after all the shenanigans that have happened in the last year with many games, not just ones by Ubisoft. No one should pre-order over-hyped games like this. It's not worth getting burned. I played 3 of the beta tests and was unimpressed. Peer-to-Peer matchmaking on a 69.99 CAD PC game in 2017 that requires me to buy a console controller is cringe-worthy. I would say this if it were EA, Activision or any other publisher, not just Ubisoft, sorry.

I have no issue with your comments about the shortcuts buying dlc etc, but don't go spouting as if you knew the end all answer that controller is better because you clearly have no idea. currently the top players in the beta use m/kb. If you want an example, arteezy a pro gamer with over a million dollars in tournament winnings streams it often and he teams up w/ / plays against some of the best players currently in the game and he specifically said he was gonna buy the gamepad to be better and was told not to do that.

I guess you didn't read the beta forums where there were tons of posts complaining about how clunky mouse/keyboard were on PC and how people were recommending console controllers. Maybe some people can make it work but many people find it extremely clunky. Don't lump all people into the same category as some e-sports dude. I'm an older gamer and I found mouse/keyboard painful. I did better when I used my XBone controller.

Feb 12, 2017, 18:31
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 18:31
Feb 12, 2017, 18:31

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 16:55:
If you're a PC user, don't pre-order and wait for the reviews. Don't fall for the hype.

Once you buy into the main game, which is designed primarily for consoles (so much so that trying to play without a console controller on PC is awkward at best), you'll be pretty much forced to buy the Season Pass/DLC if you want to keep playing online so you're looking at a huge chunk of money. This being Ubisoft, there are even microtransactions on top of this.

Caveat emptor. Cheers.

Incorrect, it uses the same business model they did with R6 Siege where every map released each season is free and every new operator is buyable with in game currency, the Season Pass is simply a shortcut to not have to spend in game currency on said opeators. Please understand a games microtransaction system if you're going to dig on it. R6/For Honor have one of the fairest Season Content systems out there and other games should take notice of it because it doesn't split the community with Map Packs like BF and COD do.

Also two of the guys I played the Beta with preferred keyboard completely over controller. I feel like a lot of people here on Blues are just looking for shit to complain about to the point they'll make anything up to dig on Ubisoft anymore.

Ok, this is like the argument people made for Infinite Warfare before they put in Supply-Drop-only crap in; that you could simply grind for whatever you wanted. Yeah, you can grind but good luck with that. If you want to grind for hundreds of hours to avoid shelling out for a Season Pass, go for it. Most people won't do that and will buy the Season Pass/DLC. Also, trying to say that the game doesn't play better on a console controller on the PC literally made me LOL. Seriously mate. That was funny.

Pre-ordering is silly after all the shenanigans that have happened in the last year with many games, not just ones by Ubisoft. No one should pre-order over-hyped games like this. It's not worth getting burned. I played 3 of the beta tests and was unimpressed. Peer-to-Peer matchmaking on a 69.99 CAD PC game in 2017 that requires me to buy a console controller is cringe-worthy. I would say this if it were EA, Activision or any other publisher, not just Ubisoft, sorry.

I have no issue with your comments about the shortcuts buying dlc etc, but don't go spouting as if you knew the end all answer that controller is better because you clearly have no idea. currently the top players in the beta use m/kb. If you want an example, arteezy a pro gamer with over a million dollars in tournament winnings streams it often and he teams up w/ / plays against some of the best players currently in the game and he specifically said he was gonna buy the gamepad to be better and was told not to do that.

Feb 12, 2017, 17:59
Kxmode

Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 17:59
Feb 12, 2017, 17:59
 Kxmode

inveigle88 wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 14:50:
Ubisoft = Pass

Not always, but often.

Feb 12, 2017, 17:57
Kxmode

Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 17:57
Feb 12, 2017, 17:57
 Kxmode

No subject
Feb 12, 2017, 17:25
No subject Feb 12, 2017, 17:25
Feb 12, 2017, 17:25

Just didn't enjoy the beta at all. Wanted the combat to feel like Chivalry. The weird toggle to block thing and the arrows telling me where the hit was coming from felt awkward and silly.

Feb 12, 2017, 16:55
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 16:55
Feb 12, 2017, 16:55

Caveat emptor. Cheers.

Ok, this is like the argument people made for Infinite Warfare before they put Supply-Drop-only crap in; that you could simply grind for whatever you wanted. Yeah, you can grind but good luck with that. If you want to grind for hundreds of hours to avoid shelling out for a Season Pass, go for it. Most people won't do that and will buy the Season Pass/DLC. Also, trying to say that the game doesn't play better on a console controller on the PC literally made me LOL. Seriously mate. That was funny.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2017, 18:29.

Feb 12, 2017, 16:44
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 16:44
Feb 12, 2017, 16:44

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 14:35:
Keep in mind this is a cross-platform game in multi-player which isn't terribly common - it's clearly not made to be played on kb/m.

it's actually not really cross-playform multiplayer though. The war itself takes into account all platforms, but the matchmaking itself is platform specific.

Feb 12, 2017, 16:29
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 16:29
Feb 12, 2017, 16:29

Caveat emptor. Cheers.

-C22

Feb 12, 2017, 15:01
Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 15:01
Feb 12, 2017, 15:01

inveigle88 wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 14:50:
Ubisoft = Pass

Yup, I have never been upset trying to access to uplay. Even trying to changed password 4 times and still haven't got my email. The service is shit. So I gave up and fuck it !
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older