Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 13, 2017, 09:55 Creston

According to Kirschner, Munich's IT problems are not so much down to the use of free software as they are the result of poor management and organizational structure, a view backed up by Accenture's study.

Something which CLEARLY would not be an issue if you move to Windows? Confused

I mean, I get why you'd not want to move from Windows to Linux. Your support staff is likely incapable of dealing with it, support overall is limited, etc. But after ten years, I'm sure those kinks at least have been worked out. So why switch back now? There's literally zero benefit, and it will cost a shitload of money in licensing fees.

I wonder if Lord Major Dieter Reiter got some MS perks thrown his way. And by perks I mean cold hard cash.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 13, 2017, 09:22 wtf_man

Tom wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 18:13:
Easy to blame the mayor here but Linux is a total failure as a desktop OS and there are strong fundamental reasons why that will never change.

(Windows is only a partial failure, firmly established as the least horrible option.)

With enterprises are slowly going towards purely web apps, so how do you figure this? Because Linux currently isn't a huge market share?

Once everything is web based, it won't matter what OS you have (for productivity... obviously gaming is a different animal). That's why Google came out with chromebooks.

Microsoft is slowly becoming irrelevant on the desktop.

Infrastructure, however, they are kicking arse, eating up oracle, vmware, hyperconverged hardware platforms, etc. etc. All can be done cheaper and easier within Server 2016 between SQL on linux (if one chooses, but no matter what - way cheaper than Oracle), all the new hyper-v features from 2012 R2 and 2016 combined (just spanks vmware, cost-wise - and has most of the features out of the box), and now software defined networking, software defined storage, etc (can mimic Nutanix or Simplivity on the OS level with less expensive hardware and eliminates the need for an expensive SAN)

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

4. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 13, 2017, 05:14 Numinar

[url=][/url]
Stormsinger wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 23:19:
Easy to blame the mayor here but Linux is a total failure as a desktop OS and there are strong fundamental reasons why that will never change.

(Windows is only a partial failure, firmly established as the least horrible option.)

-Maybe- that was true, right up until Microsoft spent a year proving that they consider your computer to be their property. No longer. They are now an active purveyor of malware, and are treated as such in this household.

You know, that's a fair opinion but still seems lauaghable to me. I wish they wouldn't do the analytics and spying and selling anonymised data or whatever it is they do with it and there is stuff that I miss from the older ones. But I think every other software or hardware product I use does it and older versions of Windows, OSX and Linux all seem less capable and more annoying to maintain than WIN10 when it comes to what I want to use the PC for. There are no platforms that do games as well and with as much software and hardware compatibility. For a reasonable premium people would prefer a less spyware choice but no such choice exists.

Maybe not doing the google information vacuum thing would leave MS further behind in the marketplace than they are already. I'm sure something like that would have been the justification. Or maybe the aliens are coming to annihilate us and the world elite are pushing for good human behaviour models so they can back us up somewhere.

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 12, 2017, 23:19 Stormsinger

-Maybe- that was true, right up until Microsoft spent a year proving that they consider your computer to be their property. No longer. They are now an active purveyor of malware, and are treated as such in this household.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2017, 18:13 Tom

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 12, 2017, 14:32 RedEye9

Anyone surprised that a Microsoft partner would recommend switching to Microsoft products.

Something tells me the outcome might have been different if RedHat consultants were involved.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo