Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Returning to its Roots

Thurrott.com has quotes from Activision Blizzard's earning conference call acknowledging disappointment in the performance of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (thanks HARDOCP). "Infinite Warfare had a ton of great gameplay innovations," explains Activision Blizzard COO Eric Hirshberg. "But it also had a setting that didnít appeal to all of our fans." As a result, he says, the game will return to its "roots," though that may just mean coming back from the future, as the original CoD was set during World War II. Here's what Hirshberg says about this year's installment in the military shooter series:

In 2017, Activision will take Call of Duty back to its roots, and traditional combat will once again take center stage. This is what our dedicated community of Call of Duty players and Sledgehammer Games, developing this yearís title, are the most excited about.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 13, 2017, 18:27 bhcompy

Rosco wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 09:50:
Nobody has mentioned the Korean conflict. That would be more interesting than Vietnam.

Korea makes a great air war setting. F-86 vs Mig15 is a classic even matchup and a significant advancement from WW2. The ground war, not so much. Basically all late WW2 era equipment.. guns, tanks, etc.

Realistically, for a game like Call of Duty, the only thing the Korean War provides is a new setting, but that setting won't be much different than World at War and neither will the weaponry

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 22:01 NetHead

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 15:24:
Personally, I'd like to see a high-quality Vietnam-era shooter which doesn't hold back on how insanely intense the both sides were when it came to combat and cruelty.

Throw this city-slicking, fictional enemy shit out the window.

A jungle warfare game could be so good, these days we can finally have decent looking jungles.

26. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 19:04 Steele Johnson

What do you do when you milk and burnout a franchise? You retart it!  

25. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 11:24 Task

If it's just a remake of that original CoD, its just going to be more of the same. Not once has CoD ever let you play as the 'opposing' side in their loosely based games on history, or explored beyond the same rehashes. And speaking of Vietnam, Vietcong is really the only good game for that (you play both sides, and its terrifying).  

Playing: Dragon Quest 1, Bravely Default

24. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 09:55 PacoTaco

none of the Vietnam era games made anything near what the modern or WWII based so it will not happen.

You have to remember that Sledge started on this game 2 years ago, and they were assuming that IW's Space COD would do well enough to branch the brand into 3 universes, BO "wacky dark", Futuristic, Modern, each studio running a separate universe.

Since IW failed again 2x in a row more layoffs will be coming to that studio during the next quarter, expect another 200, then another 200 by the end of the year.

They are not expected to ship another game for another 3 years, and they have failed 2x in row to make a product that expanded the brand or at least kept it stable, what they did with Ghosts and now what IW did with IW is considered the biggest failure in the entire franchises history.

That lawsuit that had most of the core of IW leave to form Respawn because they were owed 40+ mil in bonuses that Bobby didn't want to pay ended with them getting the money anyway but this pretty much killed IW losing its soul they merged in the Tony Hawk dev into IW a few years ago hired a lot of new people but IW will never been the same again and again this has caused the failures we have seen from this studio over the past few years.

Once the leaders of IW left to form Respawn the ATVI execs finally got to tell them IW what they wanted, and nobody to argue back is the reason ATVI has never made good product decisions. Everything that was ever sold with success has come from devs working outside that company or outside ATVI exec supervision or just ignored ATVI exec feedback.

COD came from the same guys that helped create Medal of Honor on the PC who were taught to make these games from the Original Dreamworks Interactive designers who were pretty much trying to make Saving Private Ryan in video game form.

All this being said expect Sledge to create Advanced Warfare 2 and a remake the original WWII COD in HD, they will have Zombie mode.

The Sledge products have been pretty good, but they are behind the tech curve and content quality level that BO3 set as the new standard. BO3 wasn't finished well the single player was a total cluster fuck but they needed another year to course correct the terrible decisions they made that wasted 2 years of time.

They didnt have this time so they got it out anyway they could but it could have been the greatest COD product ever had they actually not fucked up single player.

Sledge will deliver a safe product with minor innovations in an attempt to course correct the downward trajectory of the franchise again. This is the pattern started by Ghosts after the Respawn exodus, and continues.

What this means for the modern day version of IW is studio closure to a reduction in responsibility or any control of the COD franchise. All these directions are being discussed.

One factor that might change this is ATVI exec access to that studio being the only one that they can 100% dictate the direction of the product they want with out argument. This being said the little people will take the hit and get the blame for the failure in more layoffs.

23. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 09:55 Jivaro

Rosco wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 09:50:
Nobody has mentioned the Korean conflict. That would be more interesting than Vietnam.

I am not sure I agree with the "more interesting part" but it is interesting point how that war gets skipped over. " Battlefield: M*A*S*H "

22. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 09:53 Jivaro

Well they just did WW1 so WW2, the original game's setting, would make sense.  

21. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 09:50 Rosco

Consoles are schwag.

20. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 06:14 Siygess

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 05:27:
Vietcong and Vietcong 2 were pretty awesome for their time.

Yeah - I didn't like the second one so much, but the first one was great, especially the co-op missions. Calling in air strikes using the map was a lot of fun

19. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 05:27 VaranDragon

Vietcong and Vietcong 2 were pretty awesome for their time.  

18. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 04:45 ledhead1969

What they need to do is jump into the Destiny/Division MMO-ish realm. A Destiny killer would get some additional competition going for that genre which would force both Destiny and The Division to up their games.  

17. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2017, 04:02 Slick

bhcompy wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 03:25:
deqer wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 02:35:
Are we really going to let Activision get off so easy about this? With these layoffs of invalid reasoning?

Hopefully some articles are written that really stick it to Activision about this whole situation.

Laying off employees because their product failed with the invalid understanding of why it failed.

Companies should have a reserve fund that would pay for their own stupid mistakes, instead of laying off employees to pay for it.

This kind of crap is just going to continue, unless pressure is applied.

Laying off employees after a game launch is pretty much par for the course. Game development is not unlike construction. Finish a project, project goes bye bye, you get "laid off", and then you find the next game to build.. sometimes at the same place, sometimes somewhere else.

The same would apply if this were a maintenance/live team, except the timing is different than with the core build team.

In most instances you're correct, but Acti/Bliz is a megalithic corporation, they have no excuse to not retain employees with a constant flow of projects. The same way that big studios stagger their development cycles so they don't have to constantly fire/hire talent. EA and Ubi have shown that they generally like keeping talent in-house.

And it makes sense, having to re-train a new crop of employees in how to navigate the corporate structure of how they operate, it makes more financial sense to be able to keep people on the payroll, as their proficiency at their post only goes up with time. For instance, after the concept art is finished, instead of firing all of them because the game will take 2 years to build, they're working on the next project.

When post-game patches are handed over to a sister studio and QA team, that's because there's nothing for the level designers, artists, sound designers, writers etc. etc. etc. to do, and they aren't just going to sit around waiting, worrying if they're going to get the axe, they've already moved onto the next game. It keeps everyone employed, and is considered a "best practise" towards maintaining a healthy studio.

This staggered approach is the only way to keep a giant corporate game studio from letting people go, then looking to hire them back. If there's anyone who should be immune to the hire/fire shit that's common in the industry, it's the big multi-billion dollar studios.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

16. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2017, 03:25 bhcompy

deqer wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 02:35:
Are we really going to let Activision get off so easy about this? With these layoffs of invalid reasoning?

Hopefully some articles are written that really stick it to Activision about this whole situation.

Laying off employees because their product failed with the invalid understanding of why it failed.

Companies should have a reserve fund that would pay for their own stupid mistakes, instead of laying off employees to pay for it.

Laying off employees after a game launch is pretty much par for the course. Game development is not unlike construction. Finish a project, project goes bye bye, you get "laid off", and then you find the next game to build.. sometimes at the same place, sometimes somewhere else.

The same would apply if this were a maintenance/live team, except the timing is different than with the core build team.

15. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2017, 02:35 deqer

14. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 12, 2017, 01:04 TheVocalMinority

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 20:45:
Battlefield already did Vietnam, and it wasn't exactly their best selling title.

The Eve of Destruction 1942 mod was far superior to the standalone Vietnam game. Thanks to this discussion I have just discovered it is also now a stand alone game in it's own right:
http://www.eod-game.com/e-index.htm

Going to check out the demo what I get he chance.

VM

13. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 11, 2017, 23:54 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 15:33:
Yeah, it's like Beamer says, they've been beating the same formula year after year until it was a bloody pulp. I'm actually excited to play Infinite Warfare, I just don't want to pay full price for a CoD (I own a lot of them but only buy when they're $10).

Also agree with Wallshadows, a good Vietnam game would be cool, although I'd prefer a Battlefield version what with all the cool hardware that conflict had.

Mhh, my friend owns Infinity Warfare and while the campaign was certainly kinda illogical, it was by far the most fun COD I ever played (at someones else PC to boot) ;p Walking around the space-ship, flying around in space in the fighters, everything was well polished and fun. It's just too bad this setting won't be explored properly, but I guess I can't expect depth and expansive story-telling from a COD game.

It actually gave me an "The Expanse" feeling, and that is a good feeling. If you seen how they handle space combat in that TV show you know why. And sabotaging the space-russian carrier was imo one of the coolest moments of the entire game.

And if by "back to the roots" they mean WW2, ussr/allies vs nazi/jpn, then no thanks. That theme is so trodden a path, so beaten a horse, that any deviation from it is welcome, but any return to it makes me just sad. I want a modern Battlefield 1942 though, without fucking snipers.

12. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 11, 2017, 23:38 Slick

So they saw BF1's sales numbers and went: "My god! It must be the era! We can do WW-era!"

Aaaaaaand this was around 4 months ago, with their new game due out in 8 months, I bet it will be a finely polished gem of a title.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

11. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 11, 2017, 22:52 Dacron

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 20:45:
Battlefield already did Vietnam, and it wasn't exactly their best selling title. They may always give it another whirl, of course.

As far as good Vietnam shooters go, try Vietcong (for single player.) It's old and sometimes rough around the edges, but it was a very memorable game.

Oh my god. The menu music.

I could listen to the first bit (before it goes into a harder rock) on loop forever.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

10. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 11, 2017, 21:01 Wallshadows

Maybe they'll re-release the first CoD as a remaster and bundle it inside the MW2 remaster which will be bundled in Infinite Warfare II for $79.99.  

9. Re: Call of Duty Returning to its Roots Feb 11, 2017, 20:45 Blackhawk

Battlefield already did Vietnam, and it wasn't exactly their best selling title. They may always give it another whirl, of course.

As far as good Vietnam shooters go, try Vietcong (for single player.) It's old and sometimes rough around the edges, but it was a very memorable game.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo