Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On Sale

• Rebel Galaxy on Steam. Save 66%.
View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 13:43 Slashman

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 11:48:
Except that's not what he said. He gave direct examples as to why he didn't like the game, along with information about the game's weaknesses. I'm glad I got this other perspective.

Oh, wait. I guess I should have been, "Oh, look! Here comes the 'I'm so cool because I didn't actually read the post I'm responding to and that means I can attack indiscriminately.' I'm NOT amazed that it takes 4 or fewer posts for one of those to show up..."

It's exactly as Strange said. His examples don't actually reflect the truth of the game. Like the fact that travelling from point A - B can give you side missions from distress signals, discovering new mining belts or transponders to hack which reveal loot, hidden places and info like pirate ships with bounties etc.

Ships are substantially different. Some ships don't have good broadside capability but may make up for it with more turret slots for example. He also failed to mention that there is a very decent plot to follow, a galaxy that feels alive with actual events affecting commodity availability as well as a faction system with unlockable equipment and ships for each major faction that you can join like the mercenaries guild or merchants guild.

His take on weapons is also off. Sure there are different levels to the same class of weapon but the number of different weapon types is substantial with special weapons you can only look from enemies as well. You can pursue non-violent options by hailing enemy ships as well as engage in piracy.

You also may want to ask yourself why he is in the minority for an indie Steam game with 87% positive reviews out of 3700. Could it simply be that he doesn't like the game and the problem is him?

Game is easily worth full price let alone a steal like $7

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 12:23 Strango

Except his direct examples are very narrow in scope or flat out wrong.

The games saves when missions are completed in addition to station docking.

Sure you go from A to B in this game, but it's an open world sandbox. That's pretty unavoidable. There's several star systems in the game and around 20 stations in each star system so it's not like you're going to the exact same locations all the time.

Yes, there is grind, but it's more than going from level 1 to level 2. There is a wide array of weapon choices with each have their own strengths of weaknesses and allow you to tailor your ship to your play style. The only weapon type with limited ammo is the one he mentions. All others have unlimited with recharge or heat cool downs.

New ships are more than cosmetic and slot upgrades. How you play with a corvette is drastically different than how you play with a dreadnought.

The best description I can give of this game is that it borrows heavily from Sid Meir's Pirates design, adds a sci-fi theme and adds a story/quest line in addition to the sandbox world.

5. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 11:48 Eirikrautha

Slashman wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 10:03:
Lord Tea wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 04:00:
Not recommended. Not even at this price point. RG is an endless grind.

You waste a lot of your time going from A to B, then looking for/collecting objects, repetitive dogfights, then going back from B to A (A being some space station, B is somewhere far away from that space station). Repeat this procedure 5-10 times and you have the cash to upgrade your MK-1 laser to a MK-2 laser that has slightly better stats and looks exactly the same.

Game saves automatically and only when docked at a station.

Enemies have unlimited ammo, you don't (and you will run out of missiles FAST).

New ships only come with more weapon slots, they look different but feel exactly the same.

BORING.

Oh look! Here comes the "I'm so cool because I disagree with everyone else and I know I'm right" guy. I'm amazed at how it doesn't take more than 4 posts for one of those to show up.
Except that's not what he said. He gave direct examples as to why he didn't like the game, along with information about the game's weaknesses. I'm glad I got this other perspective.

Oh, wait. I guess I should have been, "Oh, look! Here comes the 'I'm so cool because I didn't actually read the post I'm responding to and that means I can attack indiscriminately.' I'm NOT amazed that it takes 4 or fewer posts for one of those to show up..."

4. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 10:03 Slashman

Lord Tea wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 04:00:

You waste a lot of your time going from A to B, then looking for/collecting objects, repetitive dogfights, then going back from B to A (A being some space station, B is somewhere far away from that space station). Repeat this procedure 5-10 times and you have the cash to upgrade your MK-1 laser to a MK-2 laser that has slightly better stats and looks exactly the same.

New ships only come with more weapon slots, they look different but feel exactly the same.

BORING.

Oh look! Here comes the "I'm so cool because I disagree with everyone else and I know I'm right" guy. I'm amazed at how it doesn't take more than 4 posts for one of those to show up.

3. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 04:00 Lord Tea

BORING.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

2. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2017, 23:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

"Rebel Scum." -British Space Nazi.

I need to go back and finish this game... one of many I've wandered off from halfway through. There are just too many games out.

1. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2017, 16:38 HoSpanky

This game is neat for a while. Gets pretty repetitive, but the combat is a blast, so I do occasionally go back for more. The ships rely on broadsides, so it's more like 1800s naval combat. It's gorgeous, but you'll easily see where corners were cut...it IS a budget title.

It's not "another space shooter", it's a very different experience. At this sub-$7 price, I'd definitely recommend it. Keep your expectations at Medium and you'll have a good time.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >