Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The snowstorm was pretty strong yesterday, and shoveling out was no small task. This was complicated by me getting out there too early. The forecast called for the snow to stop around midday, but after doing a lot of work in the early afternoon I realized it was picking up again. I gave up until the snow ended for real. The good news is I didn't have that much work re-clearing already shoveled areas. The bad news is that this was enough work that I feel pretty achy this morning. But I have to just own it. A couple of my neighbors have snow blowers, and I stubbornly head out there with my hand shovel, so I don't really have anyone to blame for my soreness but myself and my stubborn sense of machismo.

Macho Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Space Maze.
Link: Report: Women Only Made Up 2.7% Of Video Game Bosses Last Year. Thanks nin.
Story: Carpenter, McBride, Green Plan New "Halloween." Thanks nin.
Science: Diarrhea-causing Salmonella can be weaponized to flush out cancer.
Media: Honest Trailers - John Wick.
Mesmerizing Dance Routine in a Wind Tunnel.
A little off the top, please!

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2017, 10:09  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:57:
Hey Blue, how's the Gunnar-man like this sort of snowfall?

He likes the snow fine, and doesn't seem to suffer the cold that badly. He is sensitive to the salt on the roads, so he's been wearing booties on our walks lately. But with them he's good to go. The only thing is he is willing to eat filthy snow off the curb, so I have to keep tabs on that while we walk.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 22:35 BobBob

Moved.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 22:29 BobBob

Wrong day.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2017, 22:45.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 18:39 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 15:21:
Too bad they didn't fix that during the drought.
Uh, it is a sink hole. It happened without warning while running water down the spillway...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Holy Sink Holes, Batman Feb 11, 2017, 15:21 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:18:
Have you guys seen the news about the spillway for the Oroville Dam?

Saw a photo on another site with the water stopped and a worker standing in the hole.. it's easily eight feet deep, deeper in some areas...

Too bad they didn't fix that during the drought.

Also, Trump said he wanted to invest in infrastructure. There's no better time.

Stay a while, and listen.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 11:06 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 06:03:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:48:
3. The cold forces the closure of external capillaries further increasing your blood pressure.

Unless you are shoveling naked how can 3. be a problem?

Statistics of these kinds of things don't really tell you shit. Especially in a nation of people that statistically has chronic problems with obesity.
You sure have a hard-on for not understanding facts or the subject we are discussing. Please go shovel some snow.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2017, 06:03 VaranDragon

3. The cold forces the closure of external capillaries further increasing your blood pressure.

Unless you are shoveling naked how can 3. be a problem?

Statistics of these kinds of things don't really tell you shit. Especially in a nation of people that statistically has chronic problems with obesity.

27. Re: Holy Sink Holes, Batman Feb 11, 2017, 00:18 Mr. Tact

Have you guys seen the news about the spillway for the Oroville Dam?

Saw a photo on another site with the water stopped and a worker standing in the hole.. it's easily eight feet deep, deeper in some areas...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 21:11 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 19:35:
Shoveling snow is particularly risky:
1. It is often done by people that do little other working out.
2. The exercise increases heart rate and blood pressure.

And of course, there's the occasional falling... for nine seconds.

As fake as that is, when I try to dance I look like that. People come up and ask if I need help, or my medication for seizures.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 19:35 Kxmode

And of course, there's the occasional falling... for nine seconds.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 16:09 Creston

BobBob wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:45:
Is there a lack of preparedness or an infrastructure problem in America, or do we get worse winters than Europe?

Both, really. Also, in my experience, it was never really a huge news item if flights got canceled for weather in Europe. But I rarely recall Amsterdam airport being closed or having huge delays, and I lived basically right beside it for 30 years.

But for a country that routinely gets snow dumped on it, or gets torrential downpours, the US always seems terribly ill-equipped to deal with either. (which is also likely caused by lack of money.)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 15:48 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 11:29:
nin wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 10:04:
Be careful dude, and take it easy. The topic has come up here before, but this seems like a great reminder about snow shoveling and heart attacks.

If you're at risk from getting a heart attack shoveling snow, then you are at risk from any kind of labour or exercise.

Im gonna go ahead and safely say that shoveling snow is probably good for you, unless you are a seriously obese fat fuck, or have other major health issues.

It's a perfect storm. Pun incidental.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Redeye

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 15:38 RedEye9

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 12:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 11:41:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 11:29:
Be careful dude, and take it easy. The topic has come up here before, but this seems like a great reminder about snow shoveling and heart attacks.

If you're at risk from getting a heart attack shoveling snow, then you are at risk from any kind of labour or exercise.

Im gonna go ahead and safely say that shoveling snow is probably good for you, unless you are a seriously obese fat fuck, or have other major health issues.
Sure, nin is just pointing out that heart attacks due to snow shoveling is a well documented and studied phenomenon and the causes are many.
Doctors advise against shoveling if you are older, have heart disease or think you might. “Shoveling snow is hard work,” People who have coronary artery disease should not perform strenuous shoveling of snow.
The cold temperatures also increase the risk for heart attack because the arteries constrict and this increases blood pressure.
If you have heart attack risk factors, don’t shovel.
Juliet Lapidos has observed that 1,200 annual heart-failure deaths are attributed to blizzards.
Thanks for researching that, it's a bigger risk than I bet anyone could have ever imagined.

I for one had no idea it was so high. Once again, thanks.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 15:30 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:59:
BobBob wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:32:
nmv
No need to open em up just to blow out the dust. For dusty laptops I have an air compressor, just make sure you use the lowest pressure possible and still be careful lest you spin the bearings right out of the fan
I never heard of dust plugs, I can't see them doing any harm. Just don't block the vents on the bottom and sides etc. Now for a cool vidja https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWODdROCajU

Well sounds like dust off is out of the question, I like it because it's environmentally friendly, toxic and can kill you if you inhale it, the stuff just makes sense. /s (refrigerant-based propellant cleaner, which is not compressed air and incorrectly called "canned air" and usually contains difluoroethane; although some use tetrafluoroethane and tetrafluoropropene as a propellant.)

Thanks. I removed the question, thinking it was stupid, but you have a good answer. Thumbsup

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 15:26 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:25:

LOL, came here to post the same.

It would suck if Blue had a heart attack. Where would we go?

Maybe Blue has left the site to you in his will. You could just literally get out of the van, walk up to the house, ring the doorbell, and have Mrs. Blue let you in every morning.

I'm convinced he has an automation script set up in the event of his untimely passing, that will just automatically publish the links nin and/or ant send in.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 15:25 jdreyer

LOL, came here to post the same.

It would suck if Blue had a heart attack. Where would we go?

Maybe Blue has left the site to you in his will. You could just literally get out of the van, walk up to the house, ring the doorbell, and have Mrs. Blue let you in every morning.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 14:59 RedEye9

BobBob wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:32:
nmv
No need to open em up just to blow out the dust. For dusty laptops I have an air compressor, just make sure you use the lowest pressure possible and still be careful lest you spin the bearings right out of the fan
I never heard of dust plugs, I can't see them doing any harm. Just don't block the vents on the bottom and sides etc. Now for a cool vidja https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWODdROCajU

Well sounds like dust off is out of the question, I like it because it's environmentally friendly, toxic and can kill you if you inhale it, the stuff just makes sense. /s (refrigerant-based propellant cleaner, which is not compressed air and incorrectly called "canned air" and usually contains difluoroethane; although some use tetrafluoroethane and tetrafluoropropene as a propellant.)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 14:57 Cutter

Hey Blue, how's the Gunnar-man like this sort of snowfall?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 14:45 BobBob

I don't recall people having such a struggle with snow in Europe. Rarely did flights get cancelled (with the exception of Icelandic volcano eruptions) and the streets were mostly drive-able. I didn't hear many complaints about the amount of snowfall. In fact, quite the opposite -- people rejoiced, played in the snow, and hit the slopes. Is there a lack of preparedness or an infrastructure problem in America, or do we get worse winters than Europe?  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 14:32 BobBob

nmv

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2017, 14:46.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo