Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

Project CARS 2 This Year

Publisher BANDAI NAMCO announces Project CARS 2 is coming to Windows and consoles later this year, offering Slightly Mad Studios' sequel to their racing game. They promise 12K support via triple 4K monitors and call this "the most immersive and technically advanced racing simulation experience." Here's an announcement trailer and here's word:

Leading interactive entertainment company BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc., and Slightly Mad Studios, today announced their publishing partnership to bring Project CARS™ 2 to the Americas for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, and PC via STEAM® in late 2017. Project CARS 2 features an expanded roster of over 170 cars and 60+ tracks, brand-new fan-requested Online Championships game mode, and additional racing disciplines – including ice, dirt, snow, and mud racing – over its critically acclaimed, ground-breaking predecessor (Project CARS™). All of this racing action can be presented at up to 12K* resolution graphics (PC) with VR support, making Project CARS 2 the most immersive and technically advanced racing simulation experience.

Created by gamers and fine-tuned by professional racing drivers, Project CARS 2 delivers an unparalleled racing experience to players of all skill levels. To achieve this goal, Project CARS 2 utilizes leading-edge visuals, precise car physics, and realistic A.I. designed to mimic a competitive driver’s heart and mind that is sure to challenge players. The use of Slightly Mad Studios’ proprietary LIVETRACK 3.0 technology enables the development team to create dynamic real-time weather & seasonal effects, track surface conditions & time-of-day changes, and implement advanced tire grip/wear physics into the Project CARS 2 gameplay. By combining these features with the highest performance driving machines in the world, Project CARS 2 will enable players to live-out their dreams of being a racecar driver.

“Project CARS 2’s authentic presentation of motorsports racing isn’t just cutting edge, it surpasses the cutting edge,” says Eric Hartness, Vice President of Marketing at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. “No other driving game or racing title can approach Project CARS 2’s level of visual fidelity, real-world physics, and intelligent driver A.I. These features combined with dynamic weather and track effects, refined controls, and an authentic love of competitive eSports guarantees players will be able to live-out their racing aspirations on multiple gaming platforms.”

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 10, 2017, 13:24 Slick

Ventura wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 18:25:
Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:17:
I had a Rift DK2, and I got bored after 2 weeks, my Vive I just keep coming back to, some games are a great workout too.

Each to their own, but it's almost freaky how my experience contrasts so significantly to this one.

I spent hours with my DK2 on my head playing the likes of ETS2, Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous. Many, many hours. I couldn't get enough of the damn thing.

Then I got a Vive, and after the initial euphoria wore off, I hardly touched the thing. It's been gathering dust ever since. I'd do a local trade for a Rift in comparable quality in a heartbeat, even without the Touch controllers.

Roomscale is great, except for the fact that... it's not. Every other experience is a wave shooter, it's like people don't know what to do with the damn thing. Don't get me wrong, the hardware is very compelling, but either it doesn't translate well to game experiences or developers are having a hard time thinking up truly imaginative ways to use it.

The hours that Steam says I've played games says it all. Elite Dangerous tops the list at 346 hours, then ETS2 at 120 and Assetto Corsa at 72. But the Vive games? Most I've done is 3 hours playing The Lab (mainly because of Longbow). Everything else is at 2 hours or less.

Kinda sums it up for me really.

To each their own indeed.

I should point out that it's far easier to game for long sessions while seated, any seated VR experience you should be able to rack up the hours in-game just the same as you would sitting in front of a desktop computer.

Proper room-scale however, can be downright exhausting.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to keep up this level of physical activity for the same lengths that someone can sit on a couch and play games using a controller.

VR as a whole is still figuring out what games work, I mean come on I can say the same stuff about any seated experience (every other game is a cockpit game), just like roomscale (every other game is a wave shooter). Game designers have a lot of work to do, so why hobble them by supporting hardware that was built to only really support the seated experience? You cut off the legs of innovators trying to make VR great (again).

The fact is one system can do BOTH, and the other system can really only do ONE. Beyond all the questionable ethics and business decisions that Oculus has made (which is normally MORE than enough for a death sentence and total boycott for a publisher on this forum), the Rift itself is just inferior hardware.

If one truck performs well on the road, and another truck performs well on the road AND off-road. Then one of those trucks isn't really a truck. It's a toy. The seated experience is only half of what makes VR great.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 10, 2017, 05:23 VaranDragon

Jesus Christ Sllick, ok, how many times have you used the Vive NOT sitting down, and using it's addons??

So quit your bashing. The Rift is cheaper, to the tune of $200, its lighter by about 150 grams, it has integrated phones, and it has asynchrinous driver tech that lets it work flawlessly on older NVIDIA hardware, which means as long as you have a 970GTX you are good to go.

40. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 18:25 Ventura

Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:17:
I had a Rift DK2, and I got bored after 2 weeks, my Vive I just keep coming back to, some games are a great workout too.

Each to their own, but it's almost freaky how my experience contrasts so significantly to this one.

I spent hours with my DK2 on my head playing the likes of ETS2, Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous. Many, many hours. I couldn't get enough of the damn thing.

Then I got a Vive, and after the initial euphoria wore off, I hardly touched the thing. It's been gathering dust ever since. I'd do a local trade for a Rift in comparable quality in a heartbeat, even without the Touch controllers.

Roomscale is great, except for the fact that... it's not. Every other experience is a wave shooter, it's like people don't know what to do with the damn thing. Don't get me wrong, the hardware is very compelling, but either it doesn't translate well to game experiences or developers are having a hard time thinking up truly imaginative ways to use it.

The hours that Steam says I've played games says it all. Elite Dangerous tops the list at 346 hours, then ETS2 at 120 and Assetto Corsa at 72. But the Vive games? Most I've done is 3 hours playing The Lab (mainly because of Longbow). Everything else is at 2 hours or less.

Kinda sums it up for me really.

39. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 15:36 theglaze

Haha, thanks for the input guys. It's helping me generate my own opinion!  

38. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 14:29 Orogogus

See, a normal person who prefers the Vive notes that there are some issues and can still come out and say it's a pretty good experience and even includes a pro for the Rift. VRManiac very often recommends the Rift over the Vive for people who are going to use it for seated experiences.

What we have here instead is a sports team mentality where everything that's not your team is garbage, even when someone asks specifically regarding the edge use where the Rift is equal or better. It's not helpful, and it's not healthy.

The Rift has some issues with tracking occasionally. It might have gotten worse since the 1.11 update as VRManiac said, I haven't played anything roomscale since that was released so I can't say. But in general I was able play roomscale games; it hitches and resets the view if it loses tracking, but I've gone an hour or two without seeing it. It probably depends on what you play.

37. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 11:54 Slick

re: Holopoint on the Rift:

"Confirming it works fine with Touch in a 3-sensor room-scale setup. But:
You will lose tracking from time to time without 4 cameras. This is an Oculus problem, not the game. Camera occlusion is a common problem with archery games in Touch esp. for people that draw to the jaw or cheekbone.
Because of the Touch trigger positioning and glossy finish, your 'arrow finger' will become fatigued and slippery quickly. I don't think there's a way around this without remapping the draw action. If there ever is a Touch build for this, remapping would be a nice feature.
Overall, it's a pretty good experience on Touch, and the lighter Rift headset is a dream in this title, especially in the more hectic levels."

The Rift has inferior tracking. That's all you really need to know. It doesn't support true room-scale, doesn't have 3rd party peripheral tracking support, and are engaging in anti-competitive behaviours that are segmenting the VR scene before it's even gotten off the ground. If these aren't reasons enough, then I don't know what someone could say.

VR is all about tracking, and the Vive's is much much better. The rest of the details are the same (cause Oculus directly ripped off the design for what SteamVR was doing). Oh and you're correct, there are USB bus over-saturation issues with even 3 cameras, let alone 4. Which again points towards a poorly thought-out after-the-fact "solution". So much for Carmack and his keen eye for technical details. Need 3 cameras minimum for room scale, computer freaks out when using 3 cameras on one computer... OOPS... ahhh fuckit, push it out the door, and buy some more exclusive games on the way out.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2017, 12:04.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

36. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 11:28 Orogogus

Most of those points speak to Oculus, not the Rift. But whatever, theglaze agrees with them or he doesn't.

I don't think the 4 sensor camera point is correct, though. Currently it's not recommended to have more than 3 sensors since it sends too much data over USB or something. And you get one with the headset in addition to the one that comes with the Touch. Buying a third sensor is for roomscale, generally for playing the Vive games on Steam.

35. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 10:48 Slick

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 04:35:
Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 19:10:

And don't even think about the Rift, it's garbage.

Don't start. The Rift is not garbage.

It is though.

- Anti-competitive paid exclusives dividing up the VR market before it's even launched? Check.

- Hardware DRM at launch? Check.

- Inferior tracking solution? Check.

- Launches "room scale" 10 months late, and still sucks compared to the Vive? Check.

- Game devs tell people they need to buy 4 sensor cameras for proper tracking, when the touch bundle only has 1 sensor included? Check.

- Owned by Facebook? Check.

- Palmer Luckey secretly funded a pro-Trump group called Nimble America with the profits from VR? Check.

- Oculus stole design elements from Valve after getting behind the doors presentations from GabeN and his VR team, weeks later Oculus had poached 2x main staff from Valve to work at Oculus? Check.

FUCK THE RIFT. GARBAGE. And trust me, I really don't like a lot about Valve, but this is a no-brainer between them and facebook.

34. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 09:06 Kevin Lowe

Orogogus wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 19:48:

If theglaze's interest is solely in sim racing, then I think the Rift may be the better choice. My Rift has tracking and connectivity issues for roomscale and Oculus keeps releasing stuff for the gamepad and doesn't support Touch, but for cockpit/driving sims I hear it has better image quality (Elite) and less stutter (Project Cars).
The image quality is pretty bad in both, on account of the lenses used. If it weren't out of support, the Oculus DK2 looks better than both.

The PSVR has very good lenses, but the tracking isn't as good as the Rift's. Tradeoffs.

33. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 04:35 VaranDragon

Don't start. The Rift is not garbage.

32. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 23:56 Slick

theglaze wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 21:02:
Do you consider VR sim racing to be more intense? Or similar but just a different experience than using screens?

It depends on what is making you become bug-eyed. Yes VR racing is intense, but it's at the same time less intense.

Let me try to explain, staring at a 2D plane 2 feet from your face for an hour straight is tiring on your eyes. Also the peripheral of your vision isn't being used at all, so you're focusing on a 27" space in front of you, ignoring the 90% other visual data that your eyes are seeing. Beyond that, we're usually focusing on a small portion of the screen to boot, say the horizon just above the road 200m ahead, so it's like intently staring at a point that doesn't really move, your head doesn't really move. That to me is "intense".

VR on the other hand is in 3D, which is far better for your eyes, even simulated VR, your eyes don't know the difference, they think that they're looking 200m out into the distance FOR REAL. This actually gives your eyes exercise. Ever hear that after looking at a computer screen for too long, you should stare out a window? It lets your eyes re-adjust focus, prevents headaches, and is good for your general eye health. It always made me LOL when people were freaking out about their kids using a 3DS, cause it will "screw up their vision". What's un-natural about 3D? It's how we see! Un-natural is a 2D screen that you keep at exactly the same distance from your face for hours at a time. For our species, it would be like standing 2 feet in front of a tree and staring at a 10" patch of bark for hours at a time, everyday.

The other point is that there's no peripheral distractions in VR. I feel that this helps with sensory overload, as everything just "is" as it would be if you were really there IRL. There's no keyboard, mouse, screen, messy apartment, multiple light sources etc. you're just in one place, experiencing one congruous thing.

VR is "intense" depending on what you're doing with it, with an 8 foot tall zombie 3 feet in front of you, yeah, expect some intensity. But that's just from the experience you chose, the medium itself is not intense at all. There's a calming about VR, that transports you to another place, like a good book. I notice that while standing, my balance is better with my eyes open in VR than with them closed, it feels real.

For racing though, the main caveat is the small resolution, if you're looking for detail about driver placement on an upcoming corner 100m away, what would be a 4" rectangle on a desktop screen is a blurry mess in VR. It's not competitive, no one will be winning anything with VR, desktop resolutions give you more data to work with to do better at racing games, but it's not as immersive. With a good force feedback wheel, and VR, you're transported. It's like no other gaming experience. I liken it to playing Mario 64 on the N64 as a teenager. It was a whole new world.

IMO those 21:9 screens are nice, but the native support for titles is thin, surprisingly thinner than the amount of titles for VR in the ecosystem.

31. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 21:55 Orogogus

Slick wrote:
You're right that the Rift is basically fine for seated experiences, but for the same price (if he's get the touch controllers), why hobble yourself? VR comes ALIVE with roomscale. I had a Rift DK2, and I got bored after 2 weeks, my Vive I just keep coming back to, some games are a great workout too.

more to your points, the stutter is less on the rift because of the async time warp, which is better, it's basically g-sync, but useless once you're pushing a constant 90 fps, which you really need to be targeting, as it's the way VR was meant to be experienced, you can always reduce the resolution scaling.

Well, I'm just going off of what theglaze said. He said his interest is specifically for sim racing; there are people who are really, really into driving or flight sims (usually one specific sim), and in that particular use case the Rift might be the better, cheaper choice. He also didn't say has a monster rig that's absolutely going to rock 90 fps, so again, something to be aware of and consider.

I haven't heard of any trigger issue on the Touch. I use them for a few hours at a time and don't feel like it's hard or tiring. At any rate I think it's an exaggeration to dismiss the Rift as garbage. I think Valve is doing more to advance their hardware, but right now the Vive and Rift are mostly the same.

EDIT:

theglaze wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 21:02:
Most of my iRacing sessions are an hour or so, any more and I get a bit bug-eyed with the strain of visual focus and mental fatigue, and that's just with a single screen!

Do you consider VR sim racing to be more intense? Or similar but just a different experience than using screens?

I'm not really into racing games; I got Project CARS more because of VR than because I like racing or driving. But I did find it a lot more intense in VR than on a screen. Again, these aren't really my thing, but playing on the monitor it just felt like a game, but in VR it felt like being in a car (one that handles nothing like the car I drive in real life). Crashing into a wall at high speed was extremely unsettling and I really didn't want to do it again. And I did feel fatigued after twenty or thirty minutes -- but I don't particularly enjoy driving in the first place. I also did get some eye strain, but that might be down to the resolution on the Rift (and Vive, I believe) not really being conducive to staring at the road and cars half a mile into the distance.

This might not be relevant to your interests, but I had a similar experience with horror games, too. Dead Secret is a very mild horror adventure game (probably more suspense than horror), and on the monitor it's on the cheesy side but in VR I had to take breaks because it really felt like I was alone in a house where creepy things were going on. For the right titles I think it's a lot more than merely a slightly different experience.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2017, 22:06.

30. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 21:55 Orogogus

double post, bah  

29. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 21:02 theglaze

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:09:
I'm convinced that this 3x4K, 12FPS, 2D racing experience will be dripping with immersion.

I did try that but I was disappointed with the experience, and returned the monitors.

The problem that I saw was that the game engine did not properly render the side monitors to take into consideration the angle of the monitors and the perspective of the gamer.

It has now been addressed with the 10 series from nvidia (seen here), making it something I may reconsider.

I've also been keeping my eye on the snazzy, ultra-wide 21:9 screens with 100Hz refresh rate. The price is similar to a VR headset, granted the experience is just a nice improvement over my single screen=, and not a revolutionary change like VR.

Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 19:22:
Sorry, been playing a lot of VR lately, so one last thing for anyone who cares...

I backed THIS kickstarter, as it looks like it will fix the only other niggle i have with the Vive, having all the weight on your face, it destroys my neck.

Interesting, and thank you for bringing that up. Neck strain is a very legitimate concern of mine and I was hoping that shorter sessions with the Vive would minimize the pain.

Most of my iRacing sessions are an hour or so, any more and I get a bit bug-eyed with the strain of visual focus and mental fatigue, and that's just with a single screen!

28. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 20:17 Slick

Orogogus wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 19:48:

If theglaze's interest is solely in sim racing, then I think the Rift may be the better choice. My Rift has tracking and connectivity issues for roomscale and Oculus keeps releasing stuff for the gamepad and doesn't support Touch, but for cockpit/driving sims I hear it has better image quality (Elite) and less stutter (Project Cars). Also, for someone who really doesn't care about VR outside of cockpit sims, it will be cheaper because you don't have to buy the Touch (or a third sensor).

For people interested in VR in general I would lean towards the Vive, however. People seem to like the Touch better than the Vive wands, but Valve's improving on their product while there's no indication that Oculus is doing anything other than buying up a few more exclusives; for all I know they're going to drop the PC and move to mobile or AR in the next generation.

You're right that the Rift is basically fine for seated experiences, but for the same price (if he's get the touch controllers), why hobble yourself? VR comes ALIVE with roomscale. I had a Rift DK2, and I got bored after 2 weeks, my Vive I just keep coming back to, some games are a great workout too.

more to your points, the stutter is less on the rift because of the async time warp, which is better, it's basically g-sync, but useless once you're pushing a constant 90 fps, which you really need to be targeting, as it's the way VR was meant to be experienced, you can always reduce the resolution scaling.

And the better visuals in Elite Dangerous is an ED thing, not a Rift thing. It's the only game that has this issue, and the devs have said they're looking at it, but it is weird that it hasn't been fixed on the Vive yet.

Also I like the size and shape of the touch controllers, but apparently the triggers are garbage, it becomes strenuous to repeatedly press them according to user reviews.

27. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 20:09 Mr. Anisotonic

I'm convinced that this 3x4K, 12FPS, 2D racing experience will be dripping with immersion.  

26. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 19:48 Orogogus

If theglaze's interest is solely in sim racing, then I think the Rift may be the better choice. My Rift has tracking and connectivity issues for roomscale and Oculus keeps releasing stuff for the gamepad and doesn't support Touch, but for cockpit/driving sims I hear it has better image quality (Elite) and less stutter (Project Cars). Also, for someone who really doesn't care about VR outside of cockpit sims, it will be cheaper because you don't have to buy the Touch (or a third sensor).

For people interested in VR in general I would lean towards the Vive, however. People seem to like the Touch better than the Vive wands, but Valve's improving on their product while there's no indication that Oculus is doing anything other than buying up a few more exclusives; for all I know they're going to drop the PC and move to mobile or AR in the next generation.

25. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 19:35 Timmeh

Crap graphics.. looks like Ps2.  

24. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 19:22 Slick

Sorry, been playing a lot of VR lately, so one last thing for anyone who cares...

I backed THIS kickstarter, as it looks like it will fix the only other niggle i have with the Vive, having all the weight on your face, it destroys my neck. Seriously, I've been doing physio as I fucked my neck up with VR pretty bad, I overdid it with Holopoint, and have been in pain for months, finally got a pillow (after trying like 5) that seems to let my neck actually repair at night.

ANYWAYS. I hope this contraption will help with this problem, as it's more like a welders mask headmount, better suited to keep the weight centered. It's ugly as fuuuuuuck, but I really hope that it solves the issue, hopefully without adding more weight. Sigh, I'll let people know how it is when it ships.

23. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 19:10 Slick

theglaze wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 18:03:
Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 17:43:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 16:50:
Do you guys listen to songs like Gary Numan's Cars, Kraftwerk's Autobahn or Golden Earring's Radar Love, and stuff like that when you play?

I pop on a good podcast like Sawbones or Revisionist History, set a nice long 5 lap course on the full nurburgring, slap on the vive, grab my wheel, and phase out of existence.

I've been thinking of diving into the world of VR specifically for my sim racing, just not sure if I should take the plunge on the current gen or wait for the next.

I'm leaning towards getting the Vive now because they previously offered the preorders to existing customers first before opening it up to new customers. I don't know if they'll do that for the next-gen headset...

true next gen is far enough away that if you have a real interest, jump in now.

The GPU power that will be required to power say, a 4k VR headset won't exist for years. As someone already said in this thread, an overclocked GTX 1080 can't provide a solid 90 FPS in PC1 on all low settings... so there's no point in getting ahead of ourselves.

We'll have to wait until the current 1080p VR experience can be powered by mid-level hardware, once it's truly mainstream.

I'm more interested in updated Vive controllers, and the wireless 60Ghz technologies being developed. If there's an updated Vive package with the new controllers, and with the wireless package, then THAT would be something to wait for, but that's probably a ways off.

Valve delayed their steambox platform almost 2 years because of redesigning their steam controller, they aren't going to push the new one out the door prematurely.

I'll be buying the wireless package and new controllers separately, as they fix the main issues with the Vive. The rest of the ecosystem needs time to grow, specifically software.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo