Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games

The World of Warcraft website details how players can now trade in WoW gold for credit towards their Blizzard Balance. This will allow earnings from the MMORPG to be used in other Blizzard games to buy Hearthstone cards, Heroes of the Storm skins, and Overwatch loot boxes. Here's word:

The goblins of the Bilgewater Cartel have a golden opportunity for you, friend—introducing a new way to use your WoW® Token. It’s just as easy as ever, but now when you use gold to buy a WoW Token from the Auction House in certain regions, you can to choose whether to convert it into 30 days of game time or Battle.net Balance*. You can use Battle.net Balance to buy services like World of Warcraft character transfers, digital products like pets and mounts, and even purchase in-game items for other supported Blizzard games you play.

Buying a Token is simple: just visit the Auction House and use your hard-earned gold to purchase one of the WoW Tokens put up for sale. Once the Token arrives in your in-game mailbox, right-click it to add it to your bag, then right-click it in your inventory. You’ll then be able to choose whether to add 30 days of game time or add Battle.net Balance ($15 USD; currency and amount varies by region) to your Battle.net account.

For more information, check out our Battle.net Balance support page and WoW Token support page.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 8, 2017, 22:52 Mr. Tact

Checked today, still in the mid 60k range on my server...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 18:32 Mr. Tact

ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 17:01:
I'm biased, because I use tokens for subs, and going from the already too high 60k yesterday to 110k today is shit ; )
Wow, really? I bought one to get some gold when I started playing again last August and got like 43k for it.

23. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 17:01 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 09:56:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 04:39:
The point of my argument isn't that Blizzard doesn't make money, only that what's occurring doesn't fit the usual description of a cash shop. Nothing gets generated out of thin air, and Blizzard doesn't get money for "free."

That's not entirely true... Blizzard is getting money for 'free' every time someone buys a token, because subs are $15, and tokens are $20 ; )[
Point taken. In EVE's case there are various reasons for the price differential, but they generally boil down to the fact that subscriptions are mildly more valuable to the company. They're recurring (someone has to go cancel the subscription to make the money flow stop) and they can be booked as revenue immediately, whereas tokens/PLEXes have to be held as unrealized revenue until they're finally spent. In CCP's case, they also structured it so that you get better deals on token/PLEX prices when buying in bulk. Not that CCP or Blizzard minds the extra money, I'm sure; $5 is more than the overhead of supporting the system.

Which was a genius move on their part, and as you can see with yesterday's change, the b-net balance is also increasing $15 instead of $20.

Given that the demand for tokens has just jumped a crap ton (US/EU servers both ran out of tokens mid day yesterday), I hope they're going to 'artificially' deflate the gold cost, since this entire page of comments has shown that gold vs token (before yesterday) was balanced by gold (within some deviation) moving from one player to another, but with the new system, there isn't enough people buying gold for it to 'balance'...

I'm biased, because I use tokens for subs, and going from the already too high 60k yesterday to 110k today is shit ; )
Interesting. That's real-life economics in play there, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying about a Blizzard game 5 years ago.

I'm not sure you're going to see gold deflation, since so many costs in the game are ultimately fixed by the developer. If anything, inflation is more likely. Tokens become a reserve currency that everything else is pegged against. That mount that previously cost x might cost 1.2x in order to cover the builder's higher cost of play time. It's a bit like gas/energy in that regard.

However you will see some interesting outcomes as supply and demand come back into equilibrium. As a not-WoW player, 60k->110k tells me that now just became a very good time to come back and throw down some cash on tokens to get enough gold to have a grand time. If the end result is anything like EVE, what you'll find is that token prices will be higher than a lot of people would like, but they end up being not-unreasonable for the amount of work required to collect currency to buy one (at least for people with the means to make gold easily).

22. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 09:56 Alamar

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 09:53:
HoSpanky wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 08:31:
I haven't paid for my subscription since they introduced the tokens. I do ONE thing that's "out of my way" to generate gold, which is farm the resources to make a highly valued mount in the game. It takes a couple minutes per day (since only one of each resources is "allowed" to be made a day), although the initial setup for it is fairly long. The mount itself pays for a month's token, plus a couple grand.

The mount will be even more valuable once flying is reintroduced, but I expect others will realize that as well and I'll have more competition on the auction house.
Just curious, which mount?

I'm guessing Sky Golem... Let's you herb without being dismounted. Takes 30 days to make... I sold two for ~90k, then ~80k... Too many people caught on and drove the price down...

21. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 09:56 Alamar

ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 04:39:
The point of my argument isn't that Blizzard doesn't make money, only that what's occurring doesn't fit the usual description of a cash shop. Nothing gets generated out of thin air, and Blizzard doesn't get money for "free."

That's not entirely true... Blizzard is getting money for 'free' every time someone buys a token, because subs are $15, and tokens are $20 ; )

Which was a genius move on their part, and as you can see with yesterday's change, the b-net balance is also increasing $15 instead of $20.

Given that the demand for tokens has just jumped a crap ton (US/EU servers both ran out of tokens mid day yesterday), I hope they're going to 'artificially' deflate the gold cost, since this entire page of comments has shown that gold vs token (before yesterday) was balanced by gold (within some deviation) moving from one player to another, but with the new system, there isn't enough people buying gold for it to 'balance'...

20. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 09:53 Mr. Tact

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 08:31:
I haven't paid for my subscription since they introduced the tokens. I do ONE thing that's "out of my way" to generate gold, which is farm the resources to make a highly valued mount in the game. It takes a couple minutes per day (since only one of each resources is "allowed" to be made a day), although the initial setup for it is fairly long. The mount itself pays for a month's token, plus a couple grand.

The mount will be even more valuable once flying is reintroduced, but I expect others will realize that as well and I'll have more competition on the auction house.
Just curious, which mount?

19. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 08:56 nin

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 08:41:
Yeah I was kind of surprised when I accidentally logged into Wow one day and it said I could use my Wow gold to pay for the sub fee. Like I would play that POS again...

With an attitude like yours, I'm sure the other players were relieved you didn't play! Thank goodness!

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

18. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 08:41 Ozmodan

Yeah I was kind of surprised when I accidentally logged into Wow one day and it said I could use my Wow gold to pay for the sub fee. Like I would play that POS again...  

17. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 08:31 HoSpanky

16. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 05:13 JeffD

Sweet..i can use my wow gold to buy me some overwatch loot crates. ^^  

15. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 05:04 VaranDragon

You can spin this in circles as much as you like Virge, but the fact of the matter is, gold IS generated out of thin air. Or rather out of the grind-skinner box that is WoW gameplay. Just like in EvE. This is just another money income for Blizzard. The players do some kind of "WORK" for it, but its virtual work in a virtual game. The players can only buy more gametime for their efforts, which is OKAY i guess, in a way it allows those who put in the "effort" to not pay for their monthly subscription, but ultimately someone else is paying for them. It's a great system sure, but lets not fool ourselves. Blizzard is raking in the money here.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2017, 05:01 Grumpy Sod

I can't see how gold farmers could gain from this, as it can't be turned back into real money. That's the key thing. Real money can go INTO the system for a token, but nothing can be switched back out.

Now there may be fringe cases where you can farm for gold, turn into token, and offer to sell it for balance at a slightly better exchange rate, but that sounds like too fine a profit margin to bother with, if it's even possible.

13. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 04:39 ViRGE

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 02:48:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 00:19:
Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

Lol, you can still buy them for $. Where do those $ go? Hint, it starts with a B!
Sure. Blizzard makes money off of it. Just as they do if you bought the month's subscription directly rather than in the form of a token.

The point of my argument isn't that Blizzard doesn't make money, only that what's occurring doesn't fit the usual description of a cash shop. Nothing gets generated out of thin air, and Blizzard doesn't get money for "free." Every token is eventually redeemed for a paid service, be it game time, character transfers, etc.*

They're essentially allowing players to sell themselves out for gold; go do menial gold collection for Rich Uncle Pennybags, and he'll pay your subscription. We've been doing the same thing in EVE for quite a while now, and it's led to some interesting outcomes to say the least.

* Now if you want to get into mounts, that's fair criticism, as it seems Blizzard does generate those out of thin air. But they were already doing mounts-for-money before now, if I'm reading this right

12. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 7, 2017, 03:38 Kajetan

Rhett wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 22:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 20:52:
Gold sellers and gold farmers will have a field day
I don't know, ever since the end of the previous expansion you've been able to redeem gold for tokens. Some people even saved up over a dozen tokens (due to gold being very easy to get until this last expansion).

This is more of.. keeping the money flowing within their own games. Now you can play WoW, or are kept more "interested" in playing WoW, to earn more gold, to get a token to redeem for more WoW time, to play and make more gold, to get a token to redeem for "free" (lol) Overwatch boxes.
Still, Gold sellers and farmers will have a field day

Blizzard made them nearly extinct by simply increasing the amount of gold you can "earn" in the game with questing, looting and crafting. Gold ceased to be a problem entirely!!

But since introduction of the very expensive) tokens, ingame gold is once again a rare commodity. And this move only worsens the situation.

And i thought at Blizzard they have learned their lesson ... but hey, people leave. And take their knowledge and experience with them.

11. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 02:48 VaranDragon

Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

Lol, you can still buy them for $. Where do those $ go? Hint, it starts with a B!

10. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 01:53 Kxmode

Important distinction though: Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

That's a great point I hadn't considered. Thanks for sharing that.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

9. Re: On Sale Feb 7, 2017, 00:19 ViRGE

Kxmode wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 23:26:

Blizzard IS the gold seller. You can buy gold via the tokens, and max-level character boosts for $60. That's the sort of garbage Blizzard used to ban players for. Now it's a featured part of the cash shop.
Important distinction though: Blizzard isn't generating gold out of thin air. The gold you get for selling a token comes from other players.

8. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 6, 2017, 23:58 heroin

When Legion came out I wasn't working for two months - easily paid for WoW with the WoW token just by playing content at least 2 hours a day. Didn't pay for a sub for 2 months, I thought that was pretty generous since it seemed like it was designed to be that way. Most games can't even last 2 months....  

7. Re: On Sale Feb 6, 2017, 23:26 Kxmode

Blizzard IS the gold seller. You can buy gold via the tokens, and max-level character boosts for $60. That's the sort of garbage Blizzard used to ban players for. Now it's a featured part of the cash shop.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

6. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Feb 6, 2017, 22:56 Rhett

I don't know, ever since the end of the previous expansion you've been able to redeem gold for tokens. Some people even saved up over a dozen tokens (due to gold being very easy to get until this last expansion).

This is more of.. keeping the money flowing within their own games. Now you can play WoW, or are kept more "interested" in playing WoW, to earn more gold, to get a token to redeem for more WoW time, to play and make more gold, to get a token to redeem for "free" (lol) Overwatch boxes.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo