Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Deus Ex Series Hiatus?

The next game in the Deus Ex series may take a while, reports Eurogamer, in spite of several loose ends left over from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided that still need to be tied up. They note the fanfare that preceded the launch of the two most recent games in the series, but say they failed to generate the kind of sales required to support Square Enix's ambitions. So while a standalone DLC is still coming for Mankind Divided, they say they understand the series to be going on hiatus, and that it's unclear whether the storyline will be wrapped up in some other manner like a graphic novel. These conclusions are drawn from indications that the main focus at Eidos Montreal right now is the next Tomb Raider game, that Square is also planning a Guardians of the Galaxy game, and that the just revealed Avengers game will also require development resources. Eurogamer asked Square Enix to comment on their speculation and a reply came from Eidos Montreal suggesting they may be onto something:

While we are still working on expanding the Deus Ex Universe, along with creating new content and updates for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, we're also devoting our talents towards working with Crystal Dynamics and Marvel on The Avengers project.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 14:34 BobBob

OT: I recommend this game a lot, if you like the whole cybernetic upgrades in a cyberpunk - virtual - destructible - world. I realize it's a different style of gameplay, but it has the same kind of underlying theme.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 03:15 Wesp5

Squirmer wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 00:10:
Yeah I agree with it being an FPS with a bit of RPG, but "immersive sim" generally means the game simulates an environment and drops the player in it.

I agree on that, but the problem with the DX games, right from the first one, was that the environment was always just a bit too tailored for the gameplay. Best example are the vents that always bring you where you need to go! This was already a problem for immersion in the original game and is even more so in MD. I have no problem with it from a gameplay perspective, but it makes the world seem not real at all!

46. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 02:09 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 12:36:
Anyone finding HR to be a bad or poorly handled game is absolutely insane.

Yeah, differences of opinions and all, but there's no way to call it bad.

Sorry to tell ya but HR was console trash. It was everything DX was not. The ending of HR and the world of human revolution was just bad, the boss fights were nonsensical and really fucked up the game, the enemies you had to fight were just not interesting in the least.

The directors cut fucked up the game. DX was just not that great a franchise to begin with outside the first game. The DX world didn't feel right in HR at all.

45. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 00:10 Squirmer

Flatline wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:59:
I never found the original Deus Ex to be "immersive" or a sim for that matter. It allowed you to approach your goal from different perspectives and had gargantuan levels to accomplish that, but otherwise it was an FPS with minor RPG elements mixed in.
Yeah I agree with it being an FPS with a bit of RPG, but "immersive sim" generally means the game simulates an environment and drops the player in it. Not a simulation as in "ultra-realistic", but a set of game systems that interact and players can experiment with to achieve their goals. There's an interesting video about that kind of game by Mark Brown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbyTOAlhRHk

44. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 23:38 Dev

ZOMG Deus Ex didn't make elevty! beeelll!!!!on dollars! IT MUST BE A FAILURE!  

43. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 21:59 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:19:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 11:40:
doesnt really matter.. Cyberpunk 2077 will destroy all memory of Deus Ex, forever replacing it as the de-facto ultimate cyberpunk rpg and relegating DX to the dusty shelves of historical gaming academia
Maybe if your only memory of Deus Ex is "cyberpunk". For me, I'm more interested in its design as an immersive sim, and its legacy (along with Looking Glass's games) is still important and still lives on -- in Dishonored, in System Shock 3, in Ultima Ascendant, more distantly in the Bioshocks, and in indie stuff like Gone Home and Consortium.

I never found the original Deus Ex to be "immersive" or a sim for that matter. It allowed you to approach your goal from different perspectives and had gargantuan levels to accomplish that, but otherwise it was an FPS with minor RPG elements mixed in.

Even for genre, I wouldn't call Deus Ex a cyberpunk game, but more probably a techno-thriller. On the sci-fi side of a Tom Clancy novel. Human Revolution managed to take the genre into some interesting transhuman directions, and that probably is the biggest loss to me: the exploration of transhumanism in RPGs is something sorely lacking. Maybe CP2077 will tackle that. The setting leaves it open for such exploration.

42. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 21:50 BobBob

Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:11:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 20:37:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 19:54:
I'm just saying

yeh but ive already told you i dont give a fuck what you are saying... apologies if you are too stupid to understand basic english
Is this how you always interact with people? Someone presents a counterpoint and you completely lose your shit? Unless you're actually 12 years old you should grow up.

Most people here are decent and well-educated. Report and ignore trolls. Thumbsup

41. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 21:48 RedEye9

Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:11:
Is this how you always interact with people? Someone presents a counterpoint and you completely lose your shit? Unless you're actually 12 years old you should grow up.
Don't worry squirmer, the ban hammer is already in motion on this turd, tis inevitable.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

40. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 21:11 Squirmer

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 20:37:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 19:54:
I'm just saying

yeh but ive already told you i dont give a fuck what you are saying... apologies if you are too stupid to understand basic english

39. removed Jan 30, 2017, 20:37 Agent-Zero

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 30, 2017, 21:57.

38. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 19:59 BobBob

Project : Snowblind was the best.

37. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 19:54 Squirmer

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:53:
im not talking about "you".. im talking about majority opinion, and general consensus.. that sort of thing

why the fuck would i care about your peculiar quirks and obsessive little fixations?
I'm just saying you're wrong that Deus Ex is only memorable because of cyberpunk, apologies if you're too glass-jawed to handle that statement. There are numerous modern games that either descend directly from Deus Ex or are inspired by its immersive sim design, so it won't be forgotten as you suggest.

36. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 19:26 NewMaxx

Gender did come up as an issue during Fallout 4's development. Originally the main character was simply going to be male. So it is something that is unfortunately discussed a lot in the industry. Also, I pre-ordered both HR and MD, and MD definitely suffered more porting issues. Thief was also lambasted for some of its design decisions including the lack of jumping, but it was still way better than Thief 3 (IMHO). HR was generally well-received outside of the boss battle issue which was later solved.

The problem with MD is as I posted earlier: too many external foci. The one I didn't even mention is how they wanted an entire universe built around Deus Ex and I really feel that detracted from the gameplay experience in many ways, including the incomplete ending. Still a good game.

35. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 18:07 Nucas

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:53:
For me,

im not talking about "you".. im talking about majority opinion, and general consensus.. that sort of thing

why the fuck would i care about your peculiar quirks and obsessive little fixations?

hahah christ. "we're not talking about YOU, we're talking about ME and why everyone is going to agree with me. smart people. lots of people are saying this!"

34. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 18:02 Nucas

Acleacius wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 08:40:
There was a huge uproar about how they handled both HR and Thief.

no there wasn't. human revolution was very well received critically and commercially.

subjectively, i'd say the design was far less console centric than ion storm titles like thief: deadly shadows, for example. "empowered women", i don't really get either. faridah, reed, zhao. what did deus ex 1 have? navarre? a background antagonist that could have been male or female for all the depth of her writing?

were there quibbles? certainly, i know a lot of people didn't like the outsourced boss fights (which were meant to include non-lethal options, as revealed in the directors cut, but cut for budget/time) but come on. 'yuge uproar'. take off the rose colored glasses there buddy. it's ok to let yourself like the new stuff.

33. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 17:53 Agent-Zero

For me,

32. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 17:49 Creston

Squirmer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:24:
This news is typical Square Enix, anyway. They massively overestimate sales making it impossible for games to meet expectations. Remember when Tomb Raider 2013 was a best seller, 3.4 million copies sold in a month, but according to Square Enix its performance was disappointing because they wanted to sell 6 million? If they managed expectations and budgets more sensibly they wouldn't have this problem.

IIRC, it was even worse. it had sold 6 million and they had expected 12 to 13 million. They're all a bunch of fucking morons at that publisher.

31. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 17:24 Squirmer

This news is typical Square Enix, anyway. They massively overestimate sales making it impossible for games to meet expectations. Remember when Tomb Raider 2013 was a best seller, 3.4 million copies sold in a month, but according to Square Enix its performance was disappointing because they wanted to sell 6 million? If they managed expectations and budgets more sensibly they wouldn't have this problem.  

30. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 17:19 Squirmer

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 11:40:
doesnt really matter.. Cyberpunk 2077 will destroy all memory of Deus Ex, forever replacing it as the de-facto ultimate cyberpunk rpg and relegating DX to the dusty shelves of historical gaming academia
Maybe if your only memory of Deus Ex is "cyberpunk". For me, I'm more interested in its design as an immersive sim, and its legacy (along with Looking Glass's games) is still important and still lives on -- in Dishonored, in System Shock 3, in Ultima Ascendant, more distantly in the Bioshocks, and in indie stuff like Gone Home and Consortium.

29. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 15:04 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 10:33:
There was a huge uproar about how they handled both HR and Thief. They were both made by the same company and iirc both teams are in the same building. They focused on console designs for starters, press button to win. Secondly, even Ion Storm was smart enough to know stories need to contain empowered women and not just as sideline characters. These are the same people who didn't allow Jumping in Thief. In reality, nothing else should need to be said, after that absurdity. This doesn't even cover the Boss fights, where they forced you to kill.

I don't really understand why the takedown mechanic is problematic, the game gives you a variety of methods and tools to accomplish your goals. You're not forced to use takedowns. I have no idea where the female character thing comes from, every game doesn't need to be a statement about gender politics and frankly I never heard this brought up as a serious problem with either game. Not allowing jumping in Thief is dumb but that's Thief, not Deus Ex where you can jump and level design is very accommodating to sequence breaks and etc. The boss fight thing was never really a big deal to me but they went back and resolved it regardless.

I think its fine to have some complaints but to say that they "walk all over these IPs with hubris and bad decisions" seems like a big exaggeration. They were pretty reverential of the source material and even made every staff member replay the old game before they went to design documents.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo