Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2017, 14:27 Verno

No versioning in their backups hahaha, give me a fucking break.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2017, 21:08 MrBone

We use Cloudberry to S3 and tape, which is taken off-site. These guys apparently used a single backup tape and just overwrote it every night. I have seen this so many times it never ceases to amaze me.  

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2017, 16:40 Tipsy McStagger

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:05:
“Our automatic backup started after the infection, so it just backed up infected files.”

Nice.

This made me laugh. Sounds like a pretty terrible back up system to be overwritten by a day or two.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 15:36 descender

Sure sounds to me like you don't actually have a backup system if the next backup renders the others useless :p

The Cockrell Hill Police Department lost video evidence and a cache of digital documents after hackers invaded the department’s computer system last month.
Yet the entire rest of the article goes to great lengths to explain how "hackers" had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I anticipate the obvious follow-up article where they dismiss all of the cases they are now lacking evidence for. /s Hahaha... Who am I kidding? We all know they aren't going to do that.

How much longer are they going to try to peddle technological ignorance as news? There was never any threat of a hack here, the only threat was the person who was using a police computer with open access to evidence browsing the internet. The author seems to be fully aware of all of this and printed the "lie" anyway. Why let them off the hook with this unwarranted speculation about "hackers"?

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2017, 15:05 jdreyer

“Our automatic backup started after the infection, so it just backed up infected files.”

Nice.

Stay a while, and listen.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo