Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced

Fig is now hosting a crowdfunding campaign for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, an RPG sequel from Obsidian Entertainment. The campaign is just beginning, but is already well on its way toward its initial funding goal of $1,100,000. Here's a campaign launch trailer with a look, and here's a bit on the plan:
Obsidian Entertainment proudly presents the sequel to our crowdfunded and critically-acclaimed role-playing game, Pillars of Eternity. Welcome to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. With Pillars II, we are revisiting the rich narrative, beautiful environments, and tactical combat that made Pillars of Eternity one of the highest-rated PC games of all time. Having a development team of over 77,000 people made the first game possible, but your feedback and community support made it amazing! Our team wants to take you on a second journey to Eora. We couldn't be more excited to get all of you involved in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Explore Deadfire
Voyage by land and sea across the myriad islands of Deadfire to discover new cultures and environments. Help to resolve a multi-layered conflict between the locals, ambitious trading companies, and bands of fierce pirates while following in the footsteps of Eothas.

A Living, Breathing World
The people of Deadfire have lives of their own, jobs to do, and appointments to keep. They will carry on with their affairs even when you're not watching. If you don’t find the street gang in their usual haunt, a street urchin might be persuaded to tell you that at night you’ll find them at their flop house.

New and Returning Companions
While some familiar faces will be returning, Deadfire will also present a fresh crop of travelers with stories of their own. Companions are tightly intertwined with the fate of Eothas and the Deadfire and will change based on the player's choices over the course of the story.

Enhanced Reactivity
Continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua in Pillars of Eternity, and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 28, 2017, 02:34 Dev

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 12:13:
Sure. If you can prove to their satisfaction that it wasn't you, and if you're fine with waiting "a few weeks" to get your money back
That's not how it works on a credit card. You actually don't even have to pay that portion of the bill, and they cannot charge you for it while it's being investigated.

Yes, it can work that way with a debit card... which is yet another reason not to use a debit card.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 21:36 nin

Yeah, thank god they didn't do 4...

40. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 20:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 16:00:
I'd prefer 6 to 5, but it's not a deal killer for me. I do hope they have a good explanation as to why...

Same, but apparently they have based their whole design around five.

Offical forum thread

“We’ve been playing with a five-character party for most of development and really like how encounters work with that size,” Urquhart said. I can see how this came about — six characters can be cumbersome, while four can seem … limiting. Five enables for you to cover every major RPG role — tank, damage-dealer, ranged, magic, and healing — while still giving the player room to experiment with character builds.

I did notice in my email, a $5 off coupon for Fig, for the $29 and up package, so I'll definitely get in at $24 at least, before funding closes. A constant barrage of 6 man party requests will go on their forums as well.

*EDIT* Phrasing!

39. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 18:57 Osc8r

Co-op?

If not, not interested.

38. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 16:00 nin

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 15:56:
Yeah, I was leery of using Fig, at least without a Paypal option or something. Passing their goal in less than 24 hours, I can hold off a bit before I buy the cheap-ass $29 version.

*EDIT* Also apparently 5 is the official party size, the cursed fools! Message board pleading has commenced on their forums.

The board says they're working on a video update now, and hopefully that's (payment) covered.

I'd prefer 6 to 5, but it's not a deal killer for me. I do hope they have a good explanation as to why...

37. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 13:55:
They've (easily) surpassed their 1.1m goal, so I suspect they'll have alternate funding methods up very soon...

Yeah, I was leery of using Fig, at least without a Paypal option or something. Passing their goal in less than 24 hours, I can hold off a bit before I buy the cheap-ass $29 version.

*EDIT* Also apparently 5 is the official party size, the cursed fools! Message board pleading has commenced on their forums.

36. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 13:55 nin

They've (easily) surpassed their 1.1m goal, so I suspect they'll have alternate funding methods up very soon...

35. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 12:13 Creston

Leper wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 11:18:
2) Most companies won't store your CC info unless you specifically ask them to.

That's amusing, and also untrue. The whole "remember my CC info for future ease of purchase" option that you uncheck doesn't actually make them forget your CC info, it just makes it so it won't auto-repopulate the info next time it detects your PC on that website. The CC info itself is most definitely stored on their servers, and often unencrypted.

It may even be illegal to do without your consent.

It is actually illegal for them to NOT keep a record of a CC transactions. To stop the terrorists, you see.

If you're worried about them stealing it, your CC has fraud protection which means you'll be reimbursed for charges that you don't make.

Sure. If you can prove to their satisfaction that it wasn't you, and if you're fine with waiting "a few weeks" to get your money back.

I can't count how many companies I've used my credit card through. I watch my statements but haven't ever seen anything suspicious.

You have been very fortunate. I would immediately run out and knock on roughly 17000 pieces of wood.

34. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 12:08 HorrorScope

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 11:22:
It makes no sense that a popular game like this needs crowd funding. I really liked the first game, but after the success of their first product I would never give them money for a second, that just seems stupid. They made a lot of money on that game.

If you want to blindly throw money at them fine, but I will buy it on steam when it becomes available. In the meantime, I can use that money on other things that are currently available.

What some developers are saying is Kickstarters also act as advertising, that people become aware of the product if they buy in or not vs perhaps missing that a follow up is happening. I also think you can save a few dollars now getting in on the lowest tier for PoeT2 vs what it will be on Steam day one. I'm confident this will be released, might be a few years though.

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2017, 11:23 Paranoid Jack

I'm in for the CE. I love seeing fans get behind a studio for a game they really want. I have enjoyed my time with all of them and I feel I got my money's worth from all but one of them. Even that game I can play for as long as they keep their servers up which should be for decades. I assume anyway. It seems to be getting better each time I pop into the game world to see how things are going.

So I have but that one regret with these crowdfunded games. I funded big that one time. Well if you don't consider CE big. I fund the CE level quite often. I pay extra for the nostalgia of the old days. Getting a huge box with lots of swag is even better. But I will never pledge big big again... that one game which I will not name... is still in beta two and a half years past the estimated release date even though they took in almost twice their goal. I have yet to feel it was worth it. Probably never will. Even though the founder and team has been working on MMOs and RPGs for more than three decades what they have so far is just not captivating enough to buy in at anything other than the lower levels. The only saving grace of my big donation is that because of my funding level I can step away from the game and not have to worry that my lot and all its content will be sent to the local bank account as soon as the taxes are past due. My lot is tax free.

32. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 11:22 Ozmodan

It makes no sense that a popular game like this needs crowd funding. I really liked the first game, but after the success of their first product I would never give them money for a second, that just seems stupid. They made a lot of money on that game.

If you want to blindly throw money at them fine, but I will buy it on steam when it becomes available. In the meantime, I can use that money on other things that are currently available.

31. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 11:18 Leper

Lord Tea wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 02:56:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 21:43:

*EDIT* Ugh, Fig, yet another crowdfunding platform. Oh well, I'll still contribute.

Oh well, I won't.

Because
1) There is no reason to do this on Fig instead of Kickstarter which worked just fine for the first game.

2) I'm not willing to give away my CC info to yet another crowdfunding platform for, maybe, a single pledge.

3) Once fully funded the game will be available for purchase at STEAM/GOG anyway.

You are free to do what you want, but for 1) you are arguing that monopolies are good. What if by using Fig instead of Kickstarter they save money and have more to put towards game development?

2) Most companies won't store your CC info unless you specifically ask them to. It may even be illegal to do without your consent. If you're worried about them stealing it, your CC has fraud protection which means you'll be reimbursed for charges that you don't make. I can't count how many companies I've used my credit card through. I watch my statements but haven't ever seen anything suspicious.

3) Yes, as long as it gets funded it will be available on Steam, etc. I guess the old argument is whether you want to give them your money now so they potentially have more money for development or if you want to give them your money later to reward them for a job well-done or so they potentially have more money for their next game. Totally your choice.

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2017, 10:39 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 07:40:
Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:33:
Task wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:30:
Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:04:
nin wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 19:09:
Considering how much I loved POE, I went a little nuts this round...actually I went really nuts. But hey, signed box, this time...

How badly did you splurge?

Signed box edition is 249$ US

DAYYYYUM, SON!

You can...um...safely double that...

o_O

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYUM, SON!

29. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 10:36 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 00:13:
Sez who? Most of the opinions I've seen on the matter agree it sucks.

Says people in re-occurring BN threads on the topic. Says people at other forums. Says people in Steam reviews. Says the funding this round (95% funded in one day). It was a good game and with patches became even better at least balance wise. That's who sez.

Oh yeah on the real-time pause, that is one thing they did add in patches was a couple more options. They made it so you can set it to play it out turn-based. Anytime a member was done with their action it would pause, you set another order for them, un-pause. Still not as clean as true TB, but it played out well enough for me.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2017, 10:55.

28. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 09:46 Verno

I'm really looking forward to this, enjoyed the first game immensely. Backed it on Fig, was super easy and I would rather the money goes towards them than Kickstarter taking its cut.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2017, 07:40 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:33:
Task wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:30:
Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 23:04:
nin wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 19:09:
Considering how much I loved POE, I went a little nuts this round...actually I went really nuts. But hey, signed box, this time...

How badly did you splurge?

Signed box edition is 249$ US

DAYYYYUM, SON!

You can...um...safely double that...

I went all in as I loved the way POE turned out, and it was exactly what I was hoping for. So I'm very excited for round 2.

Looks like for the last game I backed $225? I loved the CE box, but instantly regretted not getting it signed. So I had to fix that this time.

26. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 05:38 Droniac

Sez who?

Steam user reviews. Over 8000 of them.

Most of the opinions I've seen on the matter agree it sucks.

Confirmation bias.

Reality:
The game is rated 89 on Metacritic. Most reviewers seem to say it's very good.
The game is rated Very Positive with 8000+ reviews on Steam. Most players seem to think it's good.

There's just been a real lack of real quality classic CRPGs IMO. Divinity was bleh, Wasteland 2 bleh, Tyranny bleh, PoE bleh. Nothing comes remotely close to classics like FO1/FO2, et al. On the 3D front at least there was Witcher 3 and FO4/Skyrim to some extent. Mass Effect, et al. are all sorta of bleh too.

I want them to be as good, but they just aren't.

They are good. They just don't emphasize what you prefer in a RPG.

Your references to FO1/FO2/NWN/FO4/Skyrim/Witcher 3 all seem to indicate that freedom [to explore/create] and open worlds and action combat are [most] important to you. They also indicate that quality scripted encounters, storytelling, party mechanics and writing aren't as important to you. The games you refer to as "meh bleh" emphasize the latter and don't do [much of] the former.

Fallout 4 is rated significantly lower [on Steam] than any other game you've mentioned, including ALL of those cRPGs. Fallout 4 is, in fact, the only truly divisive game you've mentioned. To the extent that it was actually rated "Mixed" on Steam for a long time after release.

Also, Mass Effect is more of a shooter with RPG elements.

Edit: Oh yeah, fuck real-time combat with pause already ... I guess what I'd really like to see atm is a new NWN style game.

This makes no sense.
NWN is practically synonymous with [uninvolved] real-time combat with pause. It's Diablo with a [barely relevant] party and a pause button.

25. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 03:55 Paragon of Virtue

Brian Fargo is a part-owner of Fig, which is why they are using Fig.

Obsidian and Inxile are partnering up for a lot of these games "behind the scenes", and Fargo is the bigwig at InXile.

http://www.sorenkristensen.com

24. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 03:20 VaranDragon

I could never get into the first one. Something about it just felt kind of "typical high fantasy bland". Maybe I should give it another shot. I loved Tyranny though. I guess this means Tyranny 2 is a long way off then?  

23. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 02:56 Lord Tea

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 21:43:

*EDIT* Ugh, Fig, yet another crowdfunding platform. Oh well, I'll still contribute.

Oh well, I won't.

Because
1) There is no reason to do this on Fig instead of Kickstarter which worked just fine for the first game.

2) I'm not willing to give away my CC info to yet another crowdfunding platform for, maybe, a single pledge.

3) Once fully funded the game will be available for purchase at STEAM/GOG anyway.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >