Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Safety Dance

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 22, 2017, 13:26 Agent-Zero

Redmask wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 09:30:

Your preference is to be spied on in areas much more sensitive than your computer? Yeah ok, that's an argument indicating you aren't clueless Rolleyes Your preferences are full of shit.

Waaaaaah. Cry some more. Just get over it, kid

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 22, 2017, 09:30 Redmask

Simon Says wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 04:49:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 23:12:
It's not a defence but it's a demonstration of people's epic double standards, especially since many of the things I listed above are things where people pay for the privilege of being spied on in a much more intrusive way, unlike the current majority of Windows 10 installs.

You call it double standard, I call it PREFERENCES.

I don't mind some snooping in some aspects of my life, I use hotmail and facebook for example. But I always turn off the smartphone gps, geolocation and that kind of thing + disable certain apps and if I can't, use custom roms with them disabled by default ( around here there aren't enough towers to triangulate based on signal strength, only 1 serves the town where I am ). I tunnel through VPNs on wifi hotspots and home wifi too. And lastly I use a firewall on the phone so I can select only a few apps which have access to the wifi signal ( I don't use mobile data at all, its disabled at the rom level and disabled at my provider too ).

I don't do the same thing on facebook and hotmail than on my PC at home or the smartphone. For some activities I want a certain level of privacy, for others, another level. It has nothing to do with double standard, its simply preference.

I won't switch to windows 10, I avoided every KB related to telemetry and co. on windows 7, none are installed on the PC I'm typing this on, spybot's anti-telemetry tool is installed too with everything blocked off. Everything that can't be blocked this way is blocked on the router. I don't have a mic, when I want privacy I turn off the speakers, I don't have a cam either.

Its not something you have the option of doing on win 10, picking and choosing which KB to install or not and is a big reason I chose a Nvidia card this time around that I will keep for as long as possible, so that DX12 isn't a biggie.

So you see, yeah, some people might be clueless, I'm not and I'm certainly not the only one.

Your preference is to be spied on in areas much more sensitive than your computer? Yeah ok, that's an argument indicating you aren't clueless Rolleyes Your preferences are full of shit.

17. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 18:15 ventry

Luke wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 06:56:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 23:04:
If you're concerned about anonymous, high-level telemetry data, I hope you don't use a smartphone, cellular provider, social network, free e-mail service, loyalty card, credit card, any kind of ad-supported web site or modern AAA video game ever. Because any one of those is tracking more data in a more identifiable way than Windows 10 is.

Source: I work in IT and have studied this extensively as I get asked about it by clients regularly.

Yea right now back to microsoft with you , winspy 1o is one BIG Data sucker,,there was a reason it was free (come to daddy , come to daddy) , when peps fall for it , they start manipulating there pc and the way the sneak attack by turning things on again even tho people don't want it on is beyound.....
I don't give a rat what and how many years " pro" IT have worked with this and with that , Winspy 10 is a trojan horse.....maybe even a torrent kind of system : Lets connect everybody to one system and share speed and connection...... Clown 's

[Darth Vader Voice]The butthurt and tinfoil hat syndrome is strong with this one. [/Darth Vader Voice]

16. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 18:10 ventry

It's not a defence but it's a demonstration of people's epic double standards, especially since many of the things I listed above are things where people pay for the privilege of being spied on in a much more intrusive way, unlike the current majority of Windows 10 installs.

AMEN BROTHER!
The credibility of the "windows 10 crybabies" is already ZERO.
It will go into negative figures once new AAA games go DX12 only.
Just watch how many of those "Win10 crybabies" install and run Windows 10 so they can play "insert much anticipated AAA game here".
Shame but,the world is full of brainless-kneejerk-dropkicks like this.

15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 12:47 Armengar

The gpos do work though and i can prove it. Im the sysadmin for a small school of 200 pcs. Over a break when there is noone in i can simply leave a PC on, switch off the power saving and leave it alone. Then i just examine the gateway firewall logs for that machine. The only traffic going out is ms cert revocation requests (and sophos revocation requests even though sophos SHOULD be talking to the endpoint server....) no other spurious traffic. We also use a MITM (and peek n splice) HTTPS proxy with no direct non-proxy internet access therefore nothing can escape the logs.

LTSB is ok except we needed the store for minecraft EDU. Yes you can hack the store onto LTSB (i have an image for our digital signs) but I used the EDU enterprise CB instead.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

14. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 10:57 wtf_man

Enterprise LTSB is definitely the best option for a privacy based install (Cortana disabled by default, no candy crush or unnecessary extra store apps, etc.)... but even with all the GPO's that disable phoning home, there are still settings that GPO's don't address.

There are extra settings that GPO's will not handle:

Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services

And after going through all that work... you still may need to wireshark the machine and firewall block some connections. (Assuming you want everything off, including windows updates, activation checks, certificate root checks, etc.)

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2017, 11:23.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

13. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 10:39 Steele Johnson

If you're concerned about anonymous, high-level telemetry data, I hope you don't use a smartphone, cellular provider, social network, free e-mail service, loyalty card, credit card, any kind of ad-supported web site or modern AAA video game ever. Because any one of those is tracking more data in a more identifiable way than Windows 10 is.

Source: I work in IT and have studied this extensively as I get asked about it by clients regularly.

Exactly. People and the media blow this whole Windows 10 thing out of proportion. The author even says that he uses many things that collect and send personal data because he "chooses so". Whereas he doesn't expect Windows to do the same. Why should Windows not do what everything else does when connected to the Internet? Don't be an idiot. If you don't want any of your data being sent to some company's server, don't use smartphones or the Internet. That's your only choice lol.

12. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 07:04 Luke

Dude in some countries people are forced to have a bank account , they are working towards a money free state( world) many places elder are forced to learn and use pc so everything can be digi , and why ?...yep suck them dry..so don't give me that crap about peoples double standards...

11. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 06:59 Luke

DangerDog wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 23:48:
The only way to secure a computer against prying eyes is to turn it off.

You can mitigate what Microsoft collects. Don't use cortana, windows apps, microsoft accounts, cloud services, edge browser etc.

Sure..sure so they can sneak attack it again , and you have to check you pc everyday for those sneak attacks from those Data suckers....noway

10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 06:56 Luke

Yea right now back to microsoft with you , winspy 1o is one BIG Data sucker,,there was a reason it was free (come to daddy , come to daddy) , when peps fall for it , they start manipulating there pc and the way the sneak attack by turning things on again even tho people don't want it on is beyound.....
I don't give a rat what and how many years " pro" IT have worked with this and with that , Winspy 10 is a trojan horse.....maybe even a torrent kind of system : Lets connect everybody to one system and share speed and connection...... Clown 's

9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 04:49 Simon Says

You call it double standard, I call it PREFERENCES.

I don't mind some snooping in some aspects of my life, I use hotmail and facebook for example. But I always turn off the smartphone gps, geolocation and that kind of thing + disable certain apps and if I can't, use custom roms with them disabled by default ( around here there aren't enough towers to triangulate based on signal strength, only 1 serves the town where I am ). I tunnel through VPNs on wifi hotspots and home wifi too. And lastly I use a firewall on the phone so I can select only a few apps which have access to the wifi signal ( I don't use mobile data at all, its disabled at the rom level and disabled at my provider too ).

I don't do the same thing on facebook and hotmail than on my PC at home or the smartphone. For some activities I want a certain level of privacy, for others, another level. It has nothing to do with double standard, its simply preference.

I won't switch to windows 10, I avoided every KB related to telemetry and co. on windows 7, none are installed on the PC I'm typing this on, spybot's anti-telemetry tool is installed too with everything blocked off. Everything that can't be blocked this way is blocked on the router. I don't have a mic, when I want privacy I turn off the speakers, I don't have a cam either.

Its not something you have the option of doing on win 10, picking and choosing which KB to install or not and is a big reason I chose a Nvidia card this time around that I will keep for as long as possible, so that DX12 isn't a biggie.

So you see, yeah, some people might be clueless, I'm not and I'm certainly not the only one.

8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 04:13 Armengar

There are plenty of GPOs to stop the collection. Some versions of 10 dont even have cortana installed (out 10 EDU enterprise doesnt). Our 10 rollout worked just fine, most apps are disabled for users, no telemetry, no bloated start menus. In fact the footprint is smaller than a fully patched 7. Too much fuss over 10 without people looking how to customise it.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 04:09 VaranDragon

So is there a way to turn all of that data uploading off or isn't there? This article makes it sound like you can't do that. I mean definitively off, without it being switched on in an update or something?  

6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:48 DangerDog

The only way to secure a computer against prying eyes is to turn it off.

You can mitigate what Microsoft collects. Don't use cortana, windows apps, microsoft accounts, cloud services, edge browser etc.

5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:13 eRe4s3r

There is a 4th privacy setting for telemetry -> "none" (on Enterprise/ Enterprise LTSB)

Just bringing that up, the update changes it from 4 to 3, not from 3 to 2.

Only basic/full for normal Windows though.

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:12 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:06 Creston

"Others are worse!" is never a defense for shady practices.

If there really is nothing to worry about what it collects, why doesn't MS just fucking say outright WHAT it collects? The fact that it continues to refuse to do so just keeps implying that they are, in fact, grabbing some kind of PII from you.

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:04 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 21:36 RedEye9

With Microsoft continuing to use customers as beta testers, here is a Dvorak rant on Windows 10. Sadly it will apply for years to come.
http://www.pcmag.com/commentary/348459/the-massive-windows-10-update-failure

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo