Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans

Focus Home Interactive announces a "partnership" with White Wolf Publishing Werewolf: The Apocalypse, a new adaptation of the World of Darkness property coming to Windows and consoles. An Unreal engine game based on Werewolf: The Apocalypse was also announced back in the 20th century, but the project eventually faded into nothingness. An interesting thing about this news is that Paradox Interactive acquired White Wolf Publishing back in 2015, but the are not mentioned in this announcement as publisher, and the game is being developed by Cyanide Studio. More details are promised at the beginning of next month from the What's Next festival in Paris. In the meantime, here's word:
Paris-based video game publisher Focus Home Interactive is pleased to announce its partnership with White Wolf Publishing, license owner of the famous World of Darkness universe (Vampire The Masquerade, Werewolf, Mage Ascension).

The World of Darkness is a gritty vision of our own time. The world's most devious conspiracies are true. The divide between the rich and the poor is huge and corruption is rife. In the shadows of our declining societies, humans fall victim to supernatural horrors, all struggling for control.

The partnership between Focus Home Interactive and White Wolf Publishing concerns the adaptation in a video game of one of the most acclaimed licenses from the World of Darkness - Werewolf: The Apocalypse. The game will be developed by studio Cyanide (Styx: Master of Shadows, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulhu). Become a werewolf, known as Garou (from French "Loup-garou" meaning werewolf), immersed in the atmosphere of their shamanistic and tribal world. Garou are Werewolf warriors opposed to urban civilization and supernatural corruption, all heading towards inevitable apocalypse.

"The World of Darkness has always attracted creatives with a strong passion for telling dark and immersive stories. So to work closely with the great talent at Focus Home and Cyanide exploring the savage Werewolves of this universe is an absolutely fantastic experience for us at White Wolf and we are more than excited to see this great and highly relevant IP realized in a video game," says Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf.

"We are pleased to partner with White Wolf to bring Werewolf: The Apocalypse to life in a video game for consoles and PC. We are excited to work on the World of Darkness universe, as this is formidable playground to tell the players a great story. We are also happy to partner with Cyanide Studio in this adventure. They are behind the original wish to adapt this universe, and we are faithful in their ability to create a game that will please both fans of World of Darkness and newcomers," says Cédric Lagarrigue, President of Focus Home Interactive
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans
Jan 21, 2017, 14:04
Fion

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 21, 2017, 14:04
Jan 21, 2017, 14:04
 Fion

This is true, at least so far as the 1st edition and yes the acronym is pretty funny though a lot of people use a colon in their WoD/CofD game names these days, ala W:tF.

The second edition, released about a year ago however, has become a fan favorite, selling to platinum best-seller on DriveThruRPG in under a week of its initial release. It is still Forsaken, but it does away with a lot of the half-hearted/pointless holdovers from Apocalypse that worked for that game but only bogged down 1e Forsaken. They also significantly revamped other systems, such as Gifts which are now as awesome as they've ever been (even Apocalypse's gifts ran from 'must have' to 'utterly useless' lol. They added a lot of fundamental core systems with CofD that improve all aspects of the game, from combat to roleplaying, dramatically improving the over-all experience.

As to the concept, your territory can differ on setting. In my current chronicle set in the Yukon, the pack's territory is several square miles. Werewolves are the descendants of the God of the Hunt, Father Wolf. In Neolithic times the worlds of Flesh & Spirit were as one and he & his children - who's mother is the spirit of the moon - hunted and protected the world, saving humans from spirits and slaying ancient, god-like spirits to end their machinations. As father wolf grew old and failed at his work (by not slaying the progenitors of the Shartha, half flesh spirits, the Rat & Spider host), some of the First Born took it upon themselves to take over his job by slaying the old god, not having the hart to let him linger. In doing so they shattered the world in twain and earned the ire of all beings, including some of their brothers & sister Firstborn. All but Mother Luna Forsook them.

The mantra of W:tF 2e is 'The Wolf Must Hunt' and while auspices are largely the same as Apocalypse, only with new abilities & gifts (centered around the hunt), each tribe's theme revolves around that. The Blood Talons for example are warriors who take no quarter and give none. Their tribal prey are the Pure; werewolves who's First Born progenitors turned away from their god-slaying siblings and the moon. The Pure despise the Forsaken as well as humanity.

How do the Forsaken carry on Father Wolf's work when half of it doesn't know it needs protecting and the other half want them dead? The Forsaken are dogged at all sides, their lives to often cut short, but no one else will do what must be done and only the gifts of Mother Luna allow them the ferocity to do it.

Hope that clarifies a bit. But it just scratches the surface. My long-time group quite enjoyed Apocalypse (though mostly D&D players, these days we play mostly Chronicles of Darkness [formerly New WOrld of Darkness]). I think W:tA will make a great video game, I cant wait to tear some shit up in Cronos. The above is simply to state that if you disliked how lukewarm W:tF was, you should really check out W:tF 2e & CoFD as a whole.

Flatline wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 18:36:

The Werewolf reboot literally had the acronym WTF which is about how the fanbase reacted to it.

The game as shipped in the core book was boring to the point of tears. Sure, WTA was about playing ecoterrorist walking blenders, but the fun part of that was the walking blender part.

WTF took that idea and said "eh... negotiable." The whole concept of the game is that you're a street gang protecting a few blocks from... like... stuff. Spirits I guess.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2017, 14:47.

Jan 21, 2017, 08:09
El Pit

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 21, 2017, 08:09
Jan 21, 2017, 08:09
 El Pit

Hm... A werewolf with orange fur would be AWESOME! He would be a swearwolf, of course.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jan 20, 2017, 18:36
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 18:36
Jan 20, 2017, 18:36

Fion wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 15:00:
Very cool, long time fan. Though for people who know WoD Pen & Paper RPG, I much prefer the Chronicles of Darkness & Werewolf: the Forsaken, Apocalypse has a very interesting setting & flavor and will make an awesome game.

The Werewolf reboot literally had the acronym WTF which is about how the fanbase reacted to it.

The game as shipped in the core book was boring to the point of tears. Sure, WTA was about playing ecoterrorist walking blenders, but the fun part of that was the walking blender part.

WTF took that idea and said "eh... negotiable." The whole concept of the game is that you're a street gang protecting a few blocks from... like... stuff. Spirits I guess.

Jan 20, 2017, 16:28
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 16:28
Jan 20, 2017, 16:28

I'd be very excited about another CRPG set in the World of Darkness, but we've had so many promises and so much nothing from that particular corner, that I'll just go "eh" until it's actually out.

Jan 20, 2017, 16:16
Cutter

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 16:16
Jan 20, 2017, 16:16
 Cutter

Cyanide fucking sucks. Their first Styx game was arguably one of the worst games I ever played. Well not entirely, because after a few hours it was so bad I just uninstalled it never to return. And the rest of their games? Un no. These are definitely not the guys for a first person CRPG. Well so much for that.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Jan 20, 2017, 15:07
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 15:07
Jan 20, 2017, 15:07

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 13:51:
When did IP's becoming a collectible card game?

hmmm - maybe when the kids that grew up with them became businessmen with lots of money to spend?

Jan 20, 2017, 15:00
Fion

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 15:00
Jan 20, 2017, 15:00
 Fion

Very cool, long time fan. Though for people who know WoD Pen & Paper RPG, I much prefer the Chronicles of Darkness & Werewolf: the Forsaken, Apocalypse has a very interesting setting & flavor and will make an awesome game.

Jan 20, 2017, 13:51
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 13:51
Jan 20, 2017, 13:51

When did IP's becoming a collectible card game?
Reason I ask is within the last 4-5 years, companies are going under, and meh publishers are picking up the IP's banking on nostalgia, and in the end we end up with 1 out of maybe 8-10 games that aren't trash.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Jan 20, 2017, 13:03
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 13:03
Jan 20, 2017, 13:03

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 12:39:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 11:49:
If Cyanide are as bad as you make them sound, then maybe Paradox wants to stay far away.

Didn't they make the Styx goblin-as-hero stealth game? I never played it, but had the impression that it wasn't too bad.

Also, it's hard not to hope when 90% of the Bloodlines team is working at Obsidian and they are always looking for more work. Lighter

As far as I know only two mayor guys from Troika, Cain and Boyarsky, are working at Obsidian and they are probably busy with Pillars of Eternity II...

Think so yes, I've never played it either and never heard it was bad. I guess they could have Leon and Tim working on PoE II but honestly, that game already has a team and really all it needed was better writing, well imo.

Well, you also know Brain (and Annie) who work as a contractors for Obsidian. Iirc, several of the non-owners (programmers and such) from Troika now work at Obsidian. All the pieces are in place and as mentioned Obsidian is always looking for new projects. Aamof, it has been the lack of steady contracts that has hurt Obsidian the most. It's caused them to have to layoff people.

Personally I think it's why Chis is out doing so much contract work now. They probably could afford to hire 3-5 people for his salary. I mean his salary was well deserved but still in the context of getting a budget under control it was probably pretty big.

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

Jan 20, 2017, 12:39
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 12:39
Jan 20, 2017, 12:39

Acleacius wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 11:49:
If Cyanide are as bad as you make them sound, then maybe Paradox wants to stay far away.

Didn't they make the Styx goblin-as-hero stealth game? I never played it, but had the impression that it wasn't too bad.

Also, it's hard not to hope when 90% of the Bloodlines team is working at Obsidian and they are always looking for more work. Lighter

As far as I know only two mayor guys from Troika, Cain and Boyarsky, are working at Obsidian and they are probably busy with Pillars of Eternity II...

Jan 20, 2017, 11:57
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 11:57
Jan 20, 2017, 11:57

if it is about the old world, this could be special, white wolf had some great developed fantasy worlds back then. (& in tscimisce the last genuinally scary rpg vampires).. the lore of the old werewolf clans/vampire houses was great with some truly memorable characters. white-wolf seems to be in the process of being reborn (check their website) only time will tell , but the potential for greatness is there!

Jan 20, 2017, 11:51
El Pit

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 11:51
Jan 20, 2017, 11:51
 El Pit

WOW! Sounds VERY interesting! I hope they can produce something like Skyrim with a stronger story and more rpg elements, but with a similar huge open world.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jan 20, 2017, 11:50
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 11:50
Jan 20, 2017, 11:50

Color me excited for this, I used to play a shit ton of the werewolf rpg back in the day. Not sure how I managed to get my girlfriend (now wife) to stick around with my nerd at such a high level...
~~Crim~~

Jan 20, 2017, 11:49
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 11:49
Jan 20, 2017, 11:49

Probably, unintentional sarcasm or just mud on my face. I was actually just commenting about Paradox and don't know anything about Focus or Cyanide. Guess this could have been a deal already in the works. If Cyanide are as bad as you make them sound, then maybe Paradox wants to stay far away.

I've just got high hopes for Paradox after winning one of the oldest and most popular game franchises in history. Also, it's hard not to hope when 90% of the Bloodlines team is working at Obsidian and they are always looking for more work. Lighter
“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

Jan 20, 2017, 11:22
LC
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 11:22
Jan 20, 2017, 11:22
LC

Was that sarcasm? Cyanide plops out an average(or worse) game every 2 to 4 months.

Jan 20, 2017, 10:44
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 10:44
Jan 20, 2017, 10:44

Hopefully, Paradox is probably trying to avoid the giant corporate publisher (activision, atari, ea, zeni and ubi) curse. By letting WW, Focus and Cyanide handle things it gives a more independent and uncorrupted by pure greed of corporate cookie cutter game development.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older