64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer

Re: Morning Consolidation
Jan 13, 2017, 10:43
nin

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 10:43
Jan 13, 2017, 10:43
 nin

$300 seems a bit high, and the launch title aren't exactly mindblowing, outside of Zelda, which I'm sure some folks will scream for.

I can't help but think 6 months more might have provided more titles, but maybe they're trying to beat scorpio out the door.

Jan 13, 2017, 10:59
Verno

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 10:59
Jan 13, 2017, 10:59
 Verno

I'm a big time Nintendo fan but I'm sitting this one out.

- Hefty price tag, no games included
- Anemic internal storage, sure its expandable but more $$$. Sure the games are on cartridges but they still need patches, DLC, etc etc.
- Very expensive peripherals, Nintendo is taking the toy approach here
- Outsourced online functionality, much of it through a smartphone app
- Paid monthly subscription for online play, not exactly a Nintendo strength in the first place
- Adding insult to injury they're offering free NES and SNES games monthly to people who subscribe...but they vanish the next month. Only Nintendo could be this stingy with 20-30 year old games.
- Even when docked Zelda is running at 900p
- 3 hour battery life (in Zelda apparently) is below even the Shield Tablet
- Confirmed launch line up is paltry yet again, Nintendo has learned nothing from its past 4 console launches apparently

By the time you add second joycon, grip, external battery for travel and some games you're looking at $600+. Oh and Nintendos clownshoes online multiplayer so probably $50+ a year for that. Pro controller for $80 hahah get the fuck out of here.

Anyways I just don't see the value there right now, big meh. Overpriced, underpowered and some frankly arrogant design decisions.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Re: Nintendo Switch to launch March 3 for $300.
Jan 13, 2017, 11:15
Re: Nintendo Switch to launch March 3 for $300. Jan 13, 2017, 11:15
Jan 13, 2017, 11:15

The inflation-adjusted launch price of the Xbox (2001, $299.99) was $408.

Oh yeah...and the NES launched for $672.89 in 2016 USD.

Dead Switch is Dead
Jan 13, 2017, 11:27
Dead Switch is Dead Jan 13, 2017, 11:27
Jan 13, 2017, 11:27

Nintendo Switch
Time of Death
Friday the 13th, January 2017

In Lieu of flowers Nintendo asks that you emulate their old ip.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jan 13, 2017, 11:32
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 11:32
Jan 13, 2017, 11:32

Pecked to death by ducks.

Jan 13, 2017, 12:49
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 12:49
Jan 13, 2017, 12:49

Did anyone really expect them to put a 500GB-1TB hard drive in this thing? It's designed to be portable, and unlike disc-based consoles that want to dump the bulk of every game onto internal storage to cut load times, these games are on carts. If you want to go digital for most of your purchases, that's on you, but you have that option. Pay your $40 convenience tax and stick a 128GB micro SD in there.

As for the price of controllers, I for one am not surprised one bit! Have you guys even seen those things and what they can do? It's the accelerometer and gryoscopic functions of a Wii Motion Plus, an IR sensor that detects the shape and distance of objects, an NFC reader/writer for your Amiibos or whatever else, AND the "HD rumble" that is supposedly the most sophisticated ever. All packed into each of those tiny, wireless, rechargeable, self-contained controllers. Better use that wrist strap, lol.

I agree though that the launch is pretty light on games. I sat through that presentation as almost everything said "spring" or "summer" or "holidays" (dammit though, that new Mario looks awesome). I've been looking forward to this console, yet even I was ready to wait a few months. But then those cheeky bastards snuck in what I was wanting to see all night at the very last minute... I felt like Rick Flair when that Zelda trailer ended: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Jan 13, 2017, 13:21
Verno

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 13:21
Jan 13, 2017, 13:21
 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 12:49:
Did anyone really expect them to put a 500GB-1TB hard drive in this thing? It's designed to be portable, and unlike disc-based consoles that want to dump the bulk of every game onto internal storage to cut load times, these games are on carts. If you want to go digital for most of your purchases, that's on you, but you have that option. Pay your $40 convenience tax and stick a 128GB micro SD in there.

No, I expected them to put in a decent amount of NAND at that price point. 32GB is a joke for a gaming console, even with cartridge media. That's ok though, buying your storage is part of the death by a thousand cuts theme of this console apparently. They have the nerve to charge $50 for 1,2 Switch which is pack in tech demo fluff if I've ever seen it.

I agree though that the launch is pretty light on games. I sat through that presentation as almost everything said "spring" or "summer" or "holidays" (dammit though, that new Mario looks awesome). I've been looking forward to this console, yet even I was ready to wait a few months. But then those cheeky bastards snuck in what I was wanting to see all night at the very last minute... I felt like Rick Flair when that Zelda trailer ended: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I don't know, Zelda is apparently running better on the Wii U and I think I will just play it there. I'll wait for prices to drop and games to come out, I've done Nintendo launches before and they're always shit.

Jan 13, 2017, 13:53
Slick

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 13:53
Jan 13, 2017, 13:53
 Slick

I don't know why you're comparing it to a console Verno, it's clearly a portable.

The fact that Zelda is a launch title is pretty crazy, haven't seen a Nintendo console launch with a high-profile game on day one in a long time. All I can think of is "Luigi's Mansion" lol.

Younger me would be over the fucking moon with the Switch. The switching between portable and docked modes is great, but the amazing thing is the 2-player mode, where each side of the thing becomes it's own controller. I can only imagine how cool it would have been to bust that out in the break room, or recess, or anywhere... sigh. I miss having friends, excessive moving for work blows.

The Switch is awesome, just admit it. There's nothing in your complaints that is justifiable.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jan 13, 2017, 14:06
Slick

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:06
Jan 13, 2017, 14:06
 Slick

Aaaaaand to prove my point, I'll do a play-by-play:

Verno wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 10:59:
I'm a big time Nintendo fan but I'm sitting this one out.

- Hefty price tag, no games included

$300 FOR A BRAND NEW "CONSOLE" ISN'T HEFTY. DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE COMPARING THIS TO. WHAT COMPETITOR SYSTEM, WHEN NEW, LAUNCHED WITH FREE GAMES?

- Anemic internal storage, sure its expandable but more $$$. Sure the games are on cartridges but they still need patches, DLC, etc etc.

YOU REALIZE YOU'VE COUNTERED YOUR OWN POINT TWICE IN THAT STATEMENT RIGHT? DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT THIS ISN'T ALL CONSIDERED WITH THE SYSTEM DESIGN?

- Very expensive peripherals, Nintendo is taking the toy approach here

HOW IS $50 FOR A CONTROLLER "VERY EXPENSIVE"? AGAIN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE COMPARING THIS TO.

- Outsourced online functionality, much of it through a smartphone app

WAIT, SO A TECH COMPANY OUTSOURCED SOMETHING TO A GROUP THAT FOCUSES ON JUST THAT ONE THING? BLIMEY. HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED A GAME'S ENDING CREDITS? THEY OUTSOURCE DEVELOPMENT TO LIKE 30 DIFFERENT STUDIOS SOMETIMES, IT'S COMMON IN THE INDUSTRY.

- Paid monthly subscription for online play, not exactly a Nintendo strength in the first place

SO "EXACTLY" LIKE THE OTHER CONSOLES.

- Adding insult to injury they're offering free NES and SNES games monthly to people who subscribe...but they vanish the next month. Only Nintendo could be this stingy with 20-30 year old games.

SO YOU'RE MAD AT FREE STUFF BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE TYPE OF FREE THAT YOU WANT.

- Even when docked Zelda is running at 900p

WHAT IS YOUR POINT? THIS IS LITERALLY THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION ZELDA GAME AT LAUNCH EVER PRODUCED, AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING!?!

- 3 hour battery life (in Zelda apparently) is below even the Shield Tablet

THE SHIELD TABLET PLAYING THIS SPECIFIC GAME? APPLES TO ORANGES. EXCEPT YOU DIDN'T REALLY NAME THE ORANGE, SO IT COULD BE APPLES TO SHARKS YOU'RE COMPARING.

- Confirmed launch line up is paltry yet again, Nintendo has learned nothing from its past 4 console launches apparently

DID YOU MISS THE FACT THAT WHAT LOOKS TO BE A RETURN TO GLORY FOR ONE OF THE MOST RECOGNIZABLE VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH IS A LAUNCH DAY TITLE? I MEAN REALLY, WHAT DO YOU WANT? A NEW MARIO, METROID, ZELDA, SMASH BROS, AND POKEMON ALL ON DAY ONE!?

By the time you add second joycon, grip, external battery for travel and some games you're looking at $600+. Oh and Nintendos clownshoes online multiplayer so probably $50+ a year for that. Pro controller for $80 hahah get the fuck out of here.

THE SWITCH COMES WITH 2 CONTROLLERS, NOT SURE WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT. ALSO NOBODY TELL THIS GUY ABOUT XBOX LIVE FOR $60 A YEAR, AND $150 FOR THE PRO CONTROLLER, HIS HEAD MIGHT EXPLODE.

Anyways I just don't see the value there right now, big meh. Overpriced, underpowered and some frankly arrogant design decisions.

TO EACH THEIR OWN, BUT I'D REVISE YOUR STATEMENTS AND DISCERN FACT FROM OPINION.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jan 13, 2017, 14:10
Cram

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:10
Jan 13, 2017, 14:10
 Cram

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 13:53:
I don't know why you're comparing it to a console Verno, it's clearly a portable.

The fact that Zelda is a launch title is pretty crazy, haven't seen a Nintendo console launch with a high-profile game on day one in a long time.

Twilight Princess for the Wii, granted that was a long time ago.

I preordered the Switch. I can always cancel if I get buyers regret, or Ebay it. I just wanted to make sure I have a good/decent/slightly possible shot at getting one at launch.

That new SquareEnix RPG Project...Octowhatever looked pretty interesting. As does the new Mario game. Agreed all around though that their launch situation for games is abysmal, and that the accessories are way to expensive. And everything else people have said.

Jan 13, 2017, 14:19
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:19
Jan 13, 2017, 14:19

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:06:

SO YOU'RE MAD AT FREE STUFF BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE TYPE OF FREE THAT YOU WANT.

Holy crap, Slick, go suck on an egg. Expiring NES/SNES games is absurd.

Jan 13, 2017, 14:22
PHJF

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:22
Jan 13, 2017, 14:22
 PHJF

A ported GCN title doesn't count.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jan 13, 2017, 14:27
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:27
Jan 13, 2017, 14:27

Well I skipped the Wii and Wii-U, so this is where I double-dutch back in. I'm also quite happy they're re-releasing Mario Kart 8 for that reason, and I hope they do the same with other high-profile titles of the past several years.

My little brother finally got a Wii-U this past Christmas, and while they do some interesting things with the second-screen aspect, I got to see just how clunky that gamepad is. It's terrible for controlling games on the TV AND there were several things we couldn't do because the many Wiimotes amassed in that household over the years were never upgraded with Motion Plus.

I believe that Mario Kart bundle was also $300 or near to it, so while it did come with the game, it would have also needed Wiimotes and nunchuks if we didn't already have them. The Switch is far more functionally complete out of the box, and if you need more than two-player support you can get a pair of motion-sensing controllers for the same price it used to be for one (Wiimote + nunchuk combos were still $60 when the Motion Plus add-on launched for $20).

Jan 13, 2017, 14:31
Verno

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:31
Jan 13, 2017, 14:31
 Verno

The biggest seller in this announcement will probably turn out to be 6 year old Skyrim. Super Mario Odyssey looks legit good. Not a lot of info on the rest.

Still find the idea of Nintendo charging for multiplayer hilarious. The company's best previous effort being Friends Codes. At least they're smart enough not to charge for it at launch. Anyways back to work.

Jan 13, 2017, 14:35
Cram

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:35
Jan 13, 2017, 14:35
 Cram

PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:22:

Then neither does Breath of the Wild, a ported Wii-U title

Jan 13, 2017, 14:37
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:37
Jan 13, 2017, 14:37

So a ported Wii U title does, but a ported GCN doesn't? Regardless, I was completely on the bandwagon but $300 seems a bit high, to me anyway. Also, aside from Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda, I can't see anything that would push me to pick it up for this price. Hell, I still haven't even considered getting a Wii U just because I still consider that thing to be way overpriced.

Not for me this time, I'll wait it out - thanks anyway Nintendo.
~~Crim~~

Jan 13, 2017, 14:38
Slick

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:38
Jan 13, 2017, 14:38
 Slick

Cram wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:35:

Then neither does Breath of the Wild, a ported Wii-U title

It appears that the Wii U version is coming out on March 31st, according to Amazon. 4 weeks after the Switch release.

Re: Into the Black
Jan 13, 2017, 15:14
Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2017, 15:14
Jan 13, 2017, 15:14

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:38:
It appears that the Wii U version is coming out on March 31st, according to Amazon. 4 weeks after the Switch release.

So a port with a dick move delay on the original version to try and get people off the dead console and onto the new one.

Jan 13, 2017, 15:20
Slick

Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2017, 15:20
Jan 13, 2017, 15:20
 Slick

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 15:14:
Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:38:

So a port with a dick move delay on the original version to try and get people off the dead console and onto the new one.

What kind of pretzel do you have to twist yourself into to claim that a game which is coming out for the Switch before the Wii-U is somehow a port the other way around.

This is ludicrous.

Your argument side-steps the whole "chronology of events" detail.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2017, 15:49.

Jan 13, 2017, 15:45
Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2017, 15:45
Jan 13, 2017, 15:45

Slick, the gamecube version of TP released a month after the Wii version... exactly like they are doing again here. You might want to check your "chronology of events" details.

They were not designed for the new systems, they are ports and they were intentionally delayed on the older system to help sell the new one. Skyward Sword was the Zelda game actually developed on and for the Wii.

I don't know what the hell they are thinking here... no part of this new system appeals to me (as a rabid nintendo fanboy) and that's going to be a huge problem for them.

A ported Zelda again, a ported Mario Kart... and no signs of life for Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario Party, Smash brothers... it's like they aren't even trying.
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer