Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Legal Briefs

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 12, 2017, 19:43 saluk

Oculus are annoying, but ZeniMax are out to lunch with this lawsuit. Even if they may have some legal ground to stand on (quite dubious by my non-lawyer eyes).  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 12, 2017, 09:05 Umbral

"I hope they somehow both lose."

This

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2017, 23:40 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 23:35:
While I'm not a big fan of Oculus' tactics with their store, it's pretty painfully obvious that Zenimax had no interest in VR until "two billion dollars" showed up on a news feed. They're likely mad they lost Carmack, but seriously, they didn't lose any proprietary code.
The only leg they have to stand on is if they have a contract stating anything Carmack did, at ANY point in time (in office or at home or wherever) is their property. He was working for both companies for about a year, and they could technically claim everything he did during that is theirs. There ARE bullshit contracts like that.

Yeah, I have no dog in this fight, I hope they somehow both lose. still, the idea of these contracts is retarded, most of the time they're written so the signing party doesn't even understand them, that's contract 101.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2017, 23:35 HoSpanky

While I'm not a big fan of Oculus' tactics with their store, it's pretty painfully obvious that Zenimax had no interest in VR until "two billion dollars" showed up on a news feed. They're likely mad they lost Carmack, but seriously, they didn't lose any proprietary code.
The only leg they have to stand on is if they have a contract stating anything Carmack did, at ANY point in time (in office or at home or wherever) is their property. He was working for both companies for about a year, and they could technically claim everything he did during that is theirs. There ARE bullshit contracts like that.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2017, 19:14 Stormsinger

Seems almost like they're running out of relevant adjectives when they start calling litigation "wasteful".  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo