Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Overwatch Roadhog Changes

Overwatch designer Geoff Goodman made this post to explain changes in a new build of the multiplayer shooter that's going into testing on the PTR. This includes re-balancing some changes, primarily adding some effectiveness back to Roadhog's hook after recent nerfs. Here's word:

We're about to push a new build to the PTR with some new changes:

Roadhog Hook

• Added some more line of sight checks towards the left/right of a potential hook target. This means it should be easier to hook someone who is sticking halfway out of a doorway, or behind a thin pole, etc. These checks are also used for the persistent line of sight check, so if a hook target moves behind a slim object like a stump or a lightpole, they won't be released anymore.
  • Hooked targets are now slowed heavily while they are stunned, even if they are in the air. This means if someone is strafe jumping away from you and you land a hook, they are a lot less likely to slide out of line on sight, breaking the hook.
  • Fixed a bug that could allow you to hook someone and pull them behind you if you spun around before the hook landed.

Ana

• Biotic Grenade duration reduced from 5s to 4s

Sombra

• Hack cooldown reduced from 12s to 8s

Thanks for the feedback so far! Hopefully we'll have this new patch up very soon so you guys can check it out and let us know what you think.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 19:21 Ceribaen

Think that they need to start separating changes for console and PC... Because destroying Ana's grenade is going to make her basically useless for anyone who isn't using third party hardware to play m/kb on console.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 16:20 Creston

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 15:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 10:29:
Ah yes, the usual Blizzard Nerf Hammer has struck again. Let's not adjust something a little bit downwards, let's just make it completely utterly useless, then adjust it back up when the cries of outrage become too overwhelming.

It's really become a concept by now. Many games employ the Blizzard Nerf Hammer method of "balancing."

I guess I don't see anything wrong with making drastic changes on the PTR as long as they listen to feedback, which it seems like they are doing.

I thought they had put the hook nerf on public servers, not just the PTR. My bad.

11. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 15:52 AngelicPenguin

Ah yes, the usual Blizzard Nerf Hammer has struck again. Let's not adjust something a little bit downwards, let's just make it completely utterly useless, then adjust it back up when the cries of outrage become too overwhelming.

It's really become a concept by now. Many games employ the Blizzard Nerf Hammer method of "balancing."

I guess I don't see anything wrong with making drastic changes on the PTR as long as they listen to feedback, which it seems like they are doing.

10. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 14:41 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 13:28:

I can see some wisdom in a big change, but I think you only do that when the small changes just aren't having the intended effect. As I pointed out in the previous thread, all they did by fixing Roadhog's hook was reverse the problem. Instead of completely ignoring line of sight, they changed it to where any small impedance would break the hook. Now they've adjusted that again, I still think it might be too easy to break the hook, but it seemed pretty obvious they were creating a new problem.

Ana nade, and roadhog's quantum hook are pretty much the reason behind the current, boring, 3 tank meta. So I'm fine with them being nerfed, just don't make them useless. I'd rather see other characters buffed to make them more viable (like they're trying to do with Sombra).

Not to mention that these changes aren't even in the live game yet, they've only been testing on the PTR while they iron things out. That's what the PTR is for, after all. I think the PTR patch notes being posted at blues are fueling some kind of confirmation bias Creston has against blizzard and other companies. In reality, they're actually handling this quite well.

Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions (PSP) , River City Ransom Underground (PC) , GTA:V (PC) , Owlboy (PC) , Everspace (PC)

9. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 14:40 Linksil

I see more balancing for network and random shit that happens once you throw something out for testing, to make it a more consistent ability.

The fact that ana's grenade is still op after the reduction in healing, is just how amazing it is.

Sombra they need to make her starting to hack break her out of stealth. That way you can surprise someone and then start hacking them instead of waiting for the full timer to expire. Other then that I love what they're doing with her.

I'm just glad we have a test server instead of them doing it all on live.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

8. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 13:28 Pigeon

I can see some wisdom in a big change, but I think you only do that when the small changes just aren't having the intended effect. As I pointed out in the previous thread, all they did by fixing Roadhog's hook was reverse the problem. Instead of completely ignoring line of sight, they changed it to where any small impedance would break the hook. Now they've adjusted that again, I still think it might be too easy to break the hook, but it seemed pretty obvious they were creating a new problem.

Ana nade, and roadhog's quantum hook are pretty much the reason behind the current, boring, 3 tank meta. So I'm fine with them being nerfed, just don't make them useless. I'd rather see other characters buffed to make them more viable (like they're trying to do with Sombra).

7. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 13:12 Creston

Blackhawk wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 12:44:
Nerf hammer?

I see one bug fix, three buffs, and only one nerf (and that is to Ana's grenade, which everyone, including pro players, say is particularly broken.)

The nerf happened the previous patch a few days ago. Now they're quickly having to un-nerf it again, because as usual, they just utterly crushed an entire skill.

6. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 13:10 RedEye9

Frijoles wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 11:55:
Luke wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 11:42:
derp

You post this in a lot of threads.
It's a Google Translate automated response when it can't determine the language being translated.

5. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 Blackhawk

Nerf hammer?

I see one bug fix, three buffs, and only one nerf (and that is to Ana's grenade, which everyone, including pro players, say is particularly broken.)

4. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 12:18 deqer

still manga shit.. Book
Troubles immersing yourself into a world of Overwatch?

Which worlds do you prefer?

3. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 Frijoles

still manga shit.. Book

You post this in a lot of threads.

2. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 11:42 Luke

still manga shit.. Book  

1. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 10:29 Creston

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo