Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

World War II Online Coming to Steam

There's a new development roadmap on the Battleground Europe website detailing what's in the works for World War II Online: Battleground Europe, the MMOFPS game. They discuss plans for a 64-bit client, integrated voice communications, latency fixes, bandwidth improvements, the addition of Italian soldiers, and more. Some of this is described as preparation for launching the game on Steam by this summer. And if a 2017 Steam release for a game that first launched in 2001 seems unusual, the fact that this will be "early access" for the 15+ year-old game will seem stranger still. Here's the deal:

While we have been Greenlit on Steam (capable of publishing the game there) for some time, we have spent a lot of our time preparing to make ourselves as successful as possible. This has come primarily in the form of stabilizing all of our systems and game, gaining a ton of knowledge and growing our team.

It is our goal that by Summer of 2017 WWII Online will be officially on Steam as an "Early Access" game. We're choosing this route because it will provide us some grace to get things right and prepared prior to a full blitzed release, but still have the benefit of configuring everything properly and learning in a semi-beta mode.

All of our goals and objectives this year relate to making it onto Steam, it is PRIORITY 1. And we'd like to thank you all for your outstanding patience in the time it has taken, believe me, no one is more anxious than us. But good things come with hard work and proper preparations.

As you continue to read, you'll learn more about the things we're doing right now to make Steam more successful upon release.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2017, 14:14 JayDeath

Holy 10 years too late! This is a good game. The problem is the insanely low player base. You can get into some fun action on the weekends but this game is kinda dead any other time. And it's way more fun if you join a squad. I stopped playing because of the low player base.  
Steam: BenRichards
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2017, 12:20 Wallshadows

ShakyJake wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 07:42:
Then again, driving an especially slow tank for over half an hour to get into the action just to be knocked out within a minute of getting into the fight... not so much.

I can appreciate this far more than I can in games like Battlefield 1 where it takes about a half-dozen direct hits from an anti-tank rifle before it stops. God damn horses.

16. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 8, 2017, 11:44 Task

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 10:22:

My brother also bought the game, and he loved playing an 88. I'd spawn in, haul him to the front, then despawn and come back as a rifleman. He'd plink tanks and I'd slaughter the infantry trying to sneak up and kill him. I've honestly never had more fun playing a multiplayer shooter/sim. Ever!

It definitely requires group play, or simply following the herd without teamspeak or whatever. Going solo in this game can be frustrating unless one has a lot patience just sneaking around and waiting. Using tanks or anti-tank stuff for instance is tough solo without infantry support. As infantry you are going to die a lot unless you're careful and with a large force, but inevitably someone is going to get a bullet in a charge. Just how it goes.

My highlights were:
-Ambushing an Allied assault with a Tiger (and a different scenario with a Panzer IV Ausf. D)
-Shooting down a Blenheim with a Panzer II
-Paradropping (which looks like this)
-Sniping

Not fun:
-The main thing I hated was the air combat, since I preferred the IL-2 flight model and in WW2O they draw a circle around an aircraft as you get close, which I think is lame. It's harder to get away with such an easy spotting system instead of forcing people to use their eyes and full SA.
-The latency wasn't great for infantry combat, the only way I got kills was shooting ahead of a target (even at close range as they jerked around) or waiting until they stood still.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2017, 11:56.

Playing: Dragon Quest 1, Bravely Default

15. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 8, 2017, 10:22 Eirikrautha

Played this game for a year or two when it came out. The key was population. When the server was light, you could spawn in and sit for an hour without seeing anyone. Boring as hell. But when a particular sector was hopping, the action was different than any other war sim I've ever played. From Opel rushes to tank duels, the game could be really fun. And as soon as the Axis won (since they did 9 times out of 10), they wiped the map and you started over.

My brother also bought the game, and he loved playing an 88. I'd spawn in, haul him to the front, then despawn and come back as a rifleman. He'd plink tanks and I'd slaughter the infantry trying to sneak up and kill him. I've honestly never had more fun playing a multiplayer shooter/sim. Ever!

In the end, though, as the meta-game with spawn limits and such kept you from spawning the stuff you wanted and the populations dwindled, it just wasn't as fun. Plus, like any multiplayer game, the more time you had to put in, the more fun you had. And I didn't have much of either anymore...

14. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 8, 2017, 09:17 Redmask

I remember this being one of the buggiest pieces of shit with the worst optimization when it launched. It was one of the only PC games that I hated so much I got a refund for it, standing in line at a store arguing with a manager for like 20 minutes about their return policy for PC games. I got my fucking refund and fuck this game forever.  

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2017, 07:42 ShakyJake

The tank simulation component to the game was really cool, I thought. Since there were no kill feed messages or points flashing on your screen for kills, you really had no way of knowing an enemy tank was really knocked out unless you saw it burning. Combined with just how detailed the damage model was, it felt like the strongest part of the game. Then again, driving an especially slow tank for over half an hour to get into the action just to be knocked out within a minute of getting into the fight... not so much.  

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2017, 01:57 Prez

Rush job.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2017, 00:47 Bard

Rigs wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 15:51:
I've owned this game, at one point or another, a total of four times over the last two decades. I bought it at release in June (July?) 2001. I remember sitting in the doctors office in Manhattan reading the manual, waiting for my (now ex-) wife to come out, thinking, 'wow, this is gonna be totally awesome!'. And it was...a complete disaster.

Yeah. It sucked. It went back on the shelf and i've never tried it since.

10. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 8, 2017, 00:11 TheVocalMinority

Tried it out it a few years back. Much better experience than others are talking about here you would spawn in at the front line not far from the action. Managed to help capture a very bombed out town.

Was really fun. The biggest annoyance was there was a bit of nerfing of the mouse controls so you couldn't do the old 180 degree headshot as the mouse movement would slow after a certain arc. The graphics were a little dated at the time and there was a bit of a sense of not knowing exactly what was going on and why but I think that would improve with experience.

I didn't end up subscribing although I enjoyed it as there was too many other things to play that were fun that I didn't have to sub for.

They have been spamming e-mail at me the last few weeks about all the recent improvements in the game. Won't be checking it out though unless they bring out a Linux client - don't think I have booted Windows on my home pc for the last 6 months.

VM

9. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 7, 2017, 21:48 SlimRam

Heh, yep played this game quite a bit when it first came out. I remember lots of boredom sprinkled with flurries of some excitement. When you could stay connected and a big fight was going on it was kinda fun. I remember the graphics were really bad, even for 17 years ago but also the poor network was probably ready to explode most the time. The crashes were fairly constant but that was a long time ago. I liked using the tank like Task said but you definitely had to have patience. Trying to just GET to the front lines was a chore and took awhile usually. I remember hating trying to shoot someone with a rifle because they weren't even close to acurate and the other player was usually lagging and warping all over the place. I remember that the flight model was really good though. It was a lot of fun just flying around but you rarely got into an actual dogfight. It had a nice damage model and I think it was even location based which was a big deal back then. I had fun with it for about a year I believe but the allies seemed to always lose and when it got bad a lot of people would just switch to the winning side . I met some cool people on there too and that was cool. Overall a very MEH experience.  

8. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 7, 2017, 21:47 Wash Washburne

Seems Arma 3 with WW2 mod like Iron Front 1944 is better choice, dunno just me.  

7. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 7, 2017, 20:42 Nighthawk

"AT gun needing a tow, can anyone take me to the lines?"
*waits*
*watches trucks gather up a handful of troops, drive away*
*quit game*

Great idea, mediocre implementation, boring gameplay.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 19:59 Task

A proper time with the game would be taking a tiger tank and pulling a 'whitman'. Drive it out to the countryside along the front line, wait in ambush, park it and wait. In my case I lucked out and heard tanks rumbling in the distance. Waited until they were out in the open and destroyed 5 Shermans. One and only time that happened to me. The entire sortie took several hours, a lot of it just sitting and listening.  

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 17:30 yonder

TMGeorge wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 16:49:
I've owned this game, at one point or another, a total of four times over the last two decades. I bought it at release in June (July?) 2001.

Same boat. Imported it at release to europe for 125 bucks. I got my 1st CC for it. (you dont really need CCs in europe) It sounded good but was terrible done. I gave up after 1 hour

I'm curious what you thought it would be if you gave up after an hour. It never pretended to be a fast-paced game for twitch gamers. An hour is barely enough time to begin to get a taste of the game.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 16:49 TMGeorge

I've owned this game, at one point or another, a total of four times over the last two decades. I bought it at release in June (July?) 2001.

Same boat. Imported it at release to europe for 125 bucks. I got my 1st CC for it. (you dont really need CCs in europe) It sounded good but was terrible done. I gave up after 1 hour

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 15:51 Rigs

I've owned this game, at one point or another, a total of four times over the last two decades. I bought it at release in June (July?) 2001. I remember sitting in the doctors office in Manhattan reading the manual, waiting for my (now ex-) wife to come out, thinking, 'wow, this is gonna be totally awesome!'. And it was...a complete disaster. LOL! When I got home, I installed it only for it to crash constantly when trying to login or start a game. Then after a few patches, there were the intermittent connection issues, more crashes, more bugs than an abandoned city housing development...the list just goes on and on. Cornered Rat, the devs, just were NOT ready for it's launch. That much was obvious. So I sadly returned my copy before moving back to FL, a couple months before 9/11.

I had largely forgotten about the game except for the horror stories coming out of it every so often. How it took three steps to even fire your gun or reload it. Just ridiculous stuff. How it took a half an hour to get to the 'front' only to be sniped in two seconds. Rinse, repeat. I didn't give up hope that one day, in the far future, this game would finally become the masterpiece it was always supposed to be.

Let's hope they've made significant progress over the last decade, ja?

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 14:01 LOC

Oh, nice. Can't wait for this now. Used to LOVE this game, like 13 years ago or something. I'll play again if its on Steam. Yeah I'm lazy, sorry.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 12:24 Task

Might be a good move. I doubt an average steamer has heard of it. Decent for what it is, since certainly no one else has tried making a semi-twitch ww2 mmo (as far as I know).  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo