Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 9, 2017, 06:09 yuastnav

jimnms wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 04:43:
saluk wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:12:
They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

I used that as well, and still do. The announcement that they were dropping it from a built in feature recommended Tab Groups for those that used the feature. It is based on the original Mozilla code. It used to be an addon before Mozilla integrated it, now they've spun it back off as an addon. I'm actually glad they did because now with it as an independent addon again it has been updated, new features added and it is so much better now. It seamlessly imported my tab groups from Firefox and it's like nothing ever changed for me (except the improvements). Firefox tended to corrupt the tab groups and I'd have to edit my session.js to manually repair it. This hasn't happened any more, but it has a backup feature so that you can restore a previous backup if it does.

As for tabs, memory usage and stability, Firefox's reliability has been rock solid recently. I have 4 tab groups (the main window and 3 saved that I use frequently). I hardly ever close Firefox. I currently have 62 tabs open among the 4 groups (34 on the main windows). Firefox has been running for 8 days and is using 1.8GB of memory.

Hey thanks, I kinda missed Tab Groups. Didn't use them all the time but they were useful. Was really puzzled that they decided to remove them.

Unfortunately all modern browsers are pretty terrible. Whenever I want something lightweight I use midori. I use Chrome for Netflix and Amazon and for everything else I use Firefox. But maaan is this browser slow. And what a memory hog. Unfortunately it is the only browser that is even useful to me because of all the addons I need, addons which Chrome does not have. Which is, unfortunately, also part of the reason why Firefox is so slow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 9, 2017, 04:43 MeanJim

saluk wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:12:
They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

I used that as well, and still do. The announcement that they were dropping it from a built in feature recommended Tab Groups for those that used the feature. It is based on the original Mozilla code. It used to be an addon before Mozilla integrated it, now they've spun it back off as an addon. I'm actually glad they did because now with it as an independent addon again it has been updated, new features added and it is so much better now. It seamlessly imported my tab groups from Firefox and it's like nothing ever changed for me (except the improvements). Firefox tended to corrupt the tab groups and I'd have to edit my session.js to manually repair it. This hasn't happened any more, but it has a backup feature so that you can restore a previous backup if it does.

As for tabs, memory usage and stability, Firefox's reliability has been rock solid recently. I have 4 tab groups (the main window and 3 saved that I use frequently). I hardly ever close Firefox. I currently have 62 tabs open among the 4 groups (34 on the main windows). Firefox has been running for 8 days and is using 1.8GB of memory.

MeanJim on Steam

20. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 21:03 Mr. Tact

Well, two years anyway, until the mid-terms -- here's to hoping....

And if he isn't your president, who is? I don't disagree with your assessment but disengaging won't help. I didn't say "work with", I said, "we need to do what we can". Is there something useful we can do? Great question. I'll admit the options are limited. I think our best hope is to keep spreading light on whatever the GOP does and hope some of the Trump voters see it... the light that is...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 20:25 Saboth

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 17:36:
I knew about Trump's tweets concerning Schwarzenegger, but I hadn't seen Schwarzenegger's response -- very classy. Arnold's right -- and for those who didn't read it, Arnold quotes part an Abraham Lincoln inaugural address:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

I pretty much think Trump is a twerp, but starting 20 Jan, he will be POTUS -- we need to do what we can to help the country despite our personal feelings.

Trump's not my president. I doubt that opinion will change. If he had ideas that would help the country and citizens, I'd be all for "working with the GOP". Instead, their first order of business is repealing Obamacare, while having no idea on what to replace it with. That will harm tens of millions of Americans, maybe more, depending on what they do. They plan on rolling back legislation which fixed overtime pay for millions of Americans. They plan on using taxpayer dollars to build an idiotic wall.

Trump wants the US to become allies with a country that is trying to tear down the USA, and remains our enemy. Trump wants to dismantle every protective agency in government, in the name of corporate profits. The GOP just introduced a rider into the Obamacare repeal that will defund Planned Parenthood. Sorry, there is nothing good at all in anything the GOP or Trump wants and is doing. Tariffs will harm Americans and companies. We'd see a huge increase in the cost of living if those are implemented. I do not agree with most of Trump's nominees. Plainly, I see no reason to "work with" a party that will be terrible for the country as a whole, increasing the debt, deficit, lowering wages, increasing the cost of living, harming minorities, harming our relations with our allies, and basically doing the opposite of intelligent governing. I can't see supporting any of that in any way, or "working with" the GOP. Unfortunately, they can pretty much do what they want for the next 4 years.

18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 20:12 saluk

WIth the same amount of tabs chrome vs firefox memory usage is roughly equal. I find that in my usage, firefox tends to support slightly more tabs for the same amount of memory, but it's pretty negligible.

I stick with firefox out of trust, and it's never let me down. They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 18:18 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 17:36:
I knew about Trump's tweets concerning Schwarzenegger, but I hadn't seen Schwarzenegger's response -- very classy. Arnold's right -- and for those who didn't read it, Arnold quotes part an Abraham Lincoln inaugural address:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

I pretty much think Trump is a twerp, but starting 20 Jan, he will be POTUS -- we need to do what we can to help the country despite our personal feelings.

Here's how I'll be helping the country:
Staying out of trouble.
Producing at my job.
Consuming for the economy.

16. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 17:36 Mr. Tact

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 17:30 Mr. Tact

Nucas wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 12:37:
man, i miss opera. was my go to browser like 15 years ago. stopped paying attention when they went chromium (why wouldn't i just use chrome?)

Uh, so you wouldn't have updates forced down your throat?

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 11:25 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 10:19:
I used to think like you, but at work, we had a choice of IE7 or Chrome. I used IE7 for all things Google, and Chrome for everything else.

IE7? Well that isn't even really fair.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 10:22 El Pit

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 10:19:
El Pit wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 02:43:
SirKnight wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 23:48:
Dacote wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 12:23:
Edge is a flop, chrome is a hog, hopefully firefox will improve.

You mean Firefox is a hog. I've never seen a browser take up so much memory as Firefox and run so poorly. Then when one tab or window does something bad, every other window and tab goes down with it.

With Chrome I am using significantly less memory and it's SOOOO much more stable, NEVER crashes on me. Firefox would crash (and corrupt my bookmarks) constantly. This is all with minimal to no addons enabled too!

What helps Chrome even more is to use a plugin like The Great Suspender. Firefox is pretty much dead to me at this point.

Thank you for using Chrome! And thanks for all the data, too!
Yours truly, Google

EDIT: Sorry! I know that only Microsoft is the devil and neither Google nor Apple would spy on people. My bad!

As if Google can't get that data, anyway.

I used to think like you, but at work, we had a choice of IE7 or Chrome. I used IE7 for all things Google, and Chrome for everything else.

Didn't matter. The other day my mother emailed me a link to a coat at Nordstrom. I opened it on my phone. Before I even put the phone down I had an ad on my work desktop with that same coat. Even though Chrome never had an opportunity to know what that Google account was, Google was still able to link my work browser session to my phone.

That is what I meant to say (in a way): they ALL spy on you. But unlike Google and Microsoft and Apple, Mozilla is at least a nonprofit organization. I prefer to support the nonprofit orgs.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 10:19 Beamer

El Pit wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 02:43:

You mean Firefox is a hog. I've never seen a browser take up so much memory as Firefox and run so poorly. Then when one tab or window does something bad, every other window and tab goes down with it.

With Chrome I am using significantly less memory and it's SOOOO much more stable, NEVER crashes on me. Firefox would crash (and corrupt my bookmarks) constantly. This is all with minimal to no addons enabled too!

What helps Chrome even more is to use a plugin like The Great Suspender. Firefox is pretty much dead to me at this point.

Yours truly, Google

EDIT: Sorry! I know that only Microsoft is the devil and neither Google nor Apple would spy on people. My bad!

As if Google can't get that data, anyway.

Didn't matter. The other day my mother emailed me a link to a coat at Nordstrom. I opened it on my phone. Before I even put the phone down I had an ad on my work desktop with that same coat. Even though Chrome never had an opportunity to know what that Google account was, Google was still able to link my work browser session to my phone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 09:16 Redmask

I think you have that backwards. Chrome was such a memory pig for so long that its devs even admitted their big focus going forward was reducing its memory usage. I gave up on Chrome and ended up with Firefox again, they've made huge strides in memory management with plugins/addons and now have multi-process support. They also finally got rid of their dumb non-browsing efforts like Hello and that other bullshit.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 02:43 El Pit

Yours truly, Google

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2017, 04:24.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 23:48 SirKnight

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 18:03 HorrorScope

Are you struggling with browsers or what?

I doubt I'll move any time soon from Firefox due to addons/protections. Edge is fast though.

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 17:19 VaranDragon

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 16:12:
http://truthfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-10-09-at-6.50.19-AM.png

nuff said

Well to be completely fair to old Arnold there, the girl does seems to be enjoying herself.

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 16:32 Dacote

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 16:12:
http://truthfeedom/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-10-09-at.19-AM.png

nuff said
You never say anything or consequence, keep it up.

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 15:36 wtf_man

But Maahrreeahh... I had to make an Ahhnorld Joonyah!!! I'm the Spehrrminatore!!!  

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 13:35 Cutter

You can't legislate bullying away. FFS! Just more tax dollars wasted on treating the sympton and not fixing the problem.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo