Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin

Origin's On the House program now offers Mass Effect 2 as a free download for anyone with a free Origin account. The sci-fi action/RPG sequel is the latest addition to this program, where word simply is, "Arm yourself and prepare for an unforgettable intergalactic adventure. Add this critically-acclaimed role-playing game to your library for free. It's On the House!" Here's a refresher on the game, which was first released in 2010:

Are you prepared to lose everything to save the galaxy? You'll need to be, Commander Shepherd. It's time to bring together your greatest allies and recruit the galaxy's fighting elite to continue the resistance against the invading Reapers. So steel yourself, because this is an astronomical mission where sacrifices must be made. You'll face tougher choices and new, deadlier enemies. Arm yourself and prepare for an unforgettable intergalactic adventure.

Game Features:
Shift the fight in your favor. Equip yourself with powerful new weapons almost instantly thanks to a new inventory system. Plus, an improved health regeneration system means you'll spend less time hunting for restorative items.

Make every decision matter. Divisive crew members are just the tip of the iceberg, Commander, because you'll also be tasked with issues of intergalactic diplomacy. And time's a wastin' so don't be afraid to use new prompt-based actions that let you interrupt conversations, even if they could alter the fate of your crew...and the galaxy.

Forge new alliances, carefully. You'll fight alongside some of your most trustworthy crew members, but you'll also get the opportunity to recruit new talent. Just choose your new partners with care because the fate of the galaxy rests on your shoulders, Commander.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 06:04 CJ_Parker

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 05:49:
Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes?

What's dumb and annoying is when people keep spreading these lies. Origin has a lot of games from many different publishers. You can buy The Witcher, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Risen 2, Blackguards, many Ubi games like AssCreed, WatchDawgz, FarCry series, Splinter Cell, Warner Bros games like Batman series, Tomb Raider, Darksiders, Resident Evil series, Metro Last Light, Hitman, Alan Wake, Sniper Elite, F.E.A.R, This War of Mine, Euro Truck Sims, Titan Quest Anniversary edition, ya know.... dozens upon dozens of non-EA games.

On the question whether to play ME1 before ME2? Hells yeah. You have to! Or at least watch some story summary vidz on YT. The whole premise of the second part like how Shepard got put back together and is now intended to be a Cerberus tool is based on the outcome of the first game. The first game is pretty short (under 20 hours) if you just focus on story so anyone who really wants to get into the series should definitely play it first and not jump straight to no. 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 05:49 ZeroPike1

Getting Mass Effect 2 for free awesome. Convincing the old hold outs that Origin is not equal to selling your PC's soul to the advertising devil? A much harder battle.

Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes? No different then Steam ultimately. And more useful then Ubi's launcher as EA has a wider range of games.

And the DLC, only a couple are worth anything, the rest is generally useless trash.

23. Re: ME newbie. Jan 6, 2017, 04:28 Suppa7

Ant wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 21:43:
Do we need to play ME1 to understand ME2's story?

You don't need to play ME1 but you should watch the playthrough and skip to the cutscenes. Or watch someone elses "lets play" through the entire game of ME1. ME2 can't truly be appreciated unless you've played ME1. ME2 is still an awesome game. So decide what you want more - if you care about story, you'll want to see ME1. If you don't, just jump into ME2.

22. Re: ME newbie. Jan 6, 2017, 04:13 El Pit

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 03:59:

It's true, 1 in 10 people in here are so edgy they're entirely made out of edge.

If they have n edges - does that not make them round?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

21. Re: ME newbie. Jan 6, 2017, 03:59 Slick

"This one time, I saw a McDonalds giving away free burgers, I was tempted until I realized the magnitude their devious plot. So innocuous it seemed! A free burger! Surely there's no catch... RIGHT??? As it turns out I had to go INSIDE their store to get the free burger. Nice try McDonalds, maybe you'll sucker in some dim-witted plebs with your evil plan, but I'm too smart for that." - 1 in 10 BluesNews posters.

It's true, 1 in 10 people in here are so edgy they're entirely made out of edge.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

20. Re: ME newbie. Jan 6, 2017, 03:45 Acleacius

Ieeeeee...you what...never played ME! Faint

Unless you specifically have a reason not to play it, you really should. You can get a nice package on Steam with ME and ME II for under $8 during sales.

Even though it's consoley, it's got a pretty good story and acting. On the downside, it's frustrating to be forced to use a cover system and the gear modding is annoying. The only 'story dlc' for ME is free and ME II you get about 30% of the dlc in the package. You should defiantly avoid buying any extra dlc from ea/origins unless you've got a goose who lays golden eggs. Saying they are overpriced 6 years later, is saying the flu is a random sneeze. ea has been in full exploit mode, about ME II dlc for 6 damn years.

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

19. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 01:40 jdreyer

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 00:22:
EA badly wants me to install that trash called Origin. Nope.

Because Steam is so much better?

Stay a while, and listen.

18. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 00:22 KilrathiAce

EA badly wants me to install that trash called Origin. Nope.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Re: ME newbie. Jan 6, 2017, 00:22 Ant

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 23:04:

Ant, if you never played Mass Effect it's still a good game to play (and a HD mod helps as well). Is it essential? No, but I will say even with ME 3's crappy ending, it's worth the price of admission.
OK and thanks.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: ME newbie. Jan 5, 2017, 23:04 The Half Elf

Ant, if you never played Mass Effect it's still a good game to play (and a HD mod helps as well). Is it essential? No, but I will say even with ME 3's crappy ending, it's worth the price of admission.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

15. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 22:23 Drayth

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 21:18:
I never even knew the game had DLC, oh well.

..really? This one has some of the best DLC as far as DLC goes. Lair of the Shadow Broker is awesome, and Arrival serves as one of the more key plot moments in the overall story of the series, despite not being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 21:51 Ant

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 21:49:

As I recall, the story is pretty self-contained, although there will be occasional references to events/characters from the first game that will make more sense if you've played it.
Thanks.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 21:49 Scottish Martial Arts

As I recall, the story is pretty self-contained, although there will be occasional references to events/characters from the first game that will make more sense if you've played it.

12. ME newbie. Jan 5, 2017, 21:43 Ant

11. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 21:18 RedEye9

WOW
This is a pretty awesome game from a good series and it's FREE. For that I can pretend to like being forced to be gay. The only other time I was gay I did it for the money. All twee fiddy of it.$$$

I never even knew the game had DLC, oh well.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 20:47 Morgan19

christheshitter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 20:26:
I guess EA are the only ones winning on these giveaways.
You don't "have" to dig anywhere, and they only "win" if you make the choice to buy DLC... There are plenty of people happy to play the free game and leave it at that.

9. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 20:28 christheshitter

christheshitter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 20:26:
The DLC's costs a fortune. I rather buy the Deluxe versions for a cheap penny than to given away stripped barebone games for free.

8. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 20:26 christheshitter

The DLC's costs a fortune. I rather buy the Deluxe versions for a cheap penny than to given away stripped barebone games for free for which i have to dig deep in my pocket.

7. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 20:19 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 19:46:
Be careful Bioware games force gay things in you!

You say that like it's a bad thing. Honk honk! Biker Whip Glomp

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 19:58 Wallshadows

I just stopped caring. I bit down on the bullet for Battlefield 1 after it was 40% off and I can't say I feel that bad. I'd rather not have any kind of platform running in the background but it's not like it gave my computer electrogonorrhea or cause performance issues either.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo