Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin

Origin's On the House program now offers Mass Effect 2 as a free download for anyone with a free Origin account. The sci-fi action/RPG sequel is the latest addition to this program, where word simply is, "Arm yourself and prepare for an unforgettable intergalactic adventure. Add this critically-acclaimed role-playing game to your library for free. It's On the House!" Here's a refresher on the game, which was first released in 2010:

Are you prepared to lose everything to save the galaxy? You'll need to be, Commander Shepherd. It's time to bring together your greatest allies and recruit the galaxy's fighting elite to continue the resistance against the invading Reapers. So steel yourself, because this is an astronomical mission where sacrifices must be made. You'll face tougher choices and new, deadlier enemies. Arm yourself and prepare for an unforgettable intergalactic adventure.

Game Features:
Shift the fight in your favor. Equip yourself with powerful new weapons almost instantly thanks to a new inventory system. Plus, an improved health regeneration system means you'll spend less time hunting for restorative items.

Make every decision matter. Divisive crew members are just the tip of the iceberg, Commander, because you'll also be tasked with issues of intergalactic diplomacy. And time's a wastin' so don't be afraid to use new prompt-based actions that let you interrupt conversations, even if they could alter the fate of your crew...and the galaxy.

Forge new alliances, carefully. You'll fight alongside some of your most trustworthy crew members, but you'll also get the opportunity to recruit new talent. Just choose your new partners with care because the fate of the galaxy rests on your shoulders, Commander.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 7, 2017, 04:30 Slick

Drayth wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 21:54:
I was just making the correction that I originally compared Fry's to GoG not Origin, then added my reasoning for the original analogy.

We'll just keep our own imaginary, fantasy store-lands each to our respective mind boxes. S'aul good.

Ahh my bad, I missed that. That being said I'm no authority as we don't have Fry's in Canadia.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 7, 2017, 01:29 KilrathiAce

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 01:40:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 00:22:
EA badly wants me to install that trash called Origin. Nope.

Because Steam is so much better?

It has been better much better for a long time, quite well before origin ever appeared in fact. Cannot say it was great since its inception though. But now it is.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

43. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 21:54 Drayth

I was just making the correction that I originally compared Fry's to GoG not Origin, then added my reasoning for the original analogy.

We'll just keep our own imaginary, fantasy store-lands each to our respective mind boxes. S'aul good.

42. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 21:01 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 19:42:
Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 15:57:
HorrorScope, reasonable reply from a reasonable (wo)man, how dare you!

I just think that culturally it's a bit odd that Gamers are obsessed with the publishers and storefronts. I've never heard of anyone uttering the words:

"Brah, I don't ever go to see LionsGate or Paramount films, they're pretty evil"

"Dood, we don't go to Cineplex Cinemas, don't you know they're an evil corporation? They'll never trick me into seeing a movie there."

I think that more scientific study needs to be devoted to this, fuck learning about fast radio bursts, let's figure out what's happening with humans on message boards.

Also, If I were to extend my often-used analogy, I'd say that Origin isn't so much a Fry's, as a Juicy Couture. The point being that Fry's is just like walmart, it sells things from many different brands, and barely has any in-house products. Juicy Couture on the other hand, their stores only sell mostly Juicy Couture products, with other brands being accessories.

I'm tellin ya, still like the place, moderation is great, the characters can at least handle some heat without a major meltdown, but man it seems too many are growing old at heart, not liking the new all that much. Overly grumpy, make mountains out of mole hills etc, granted there are some mountains out there, but not everything is, like a game client/overly... not a mountain. The only chance we had of one store front would have been MS doing this around 2000, never entering the console market, stay solely pc, do it all for free so all publishers could/would use, keep us all nice tidy and loyal to the O/S. But that ship sailed.

so true, I think it's a byproduct of there not really being that much to legitimate winge about these days. I mean, without question, we're living in the best time ever to be alive in human history (I'd love for someone to try and debate that point xD). So without real problems, people who are already well off enough to be PC gamers, probably don't have that many real-life issues going on (ie. they can probably find food and shelter). So the part of our evolution that's forces us to find fault, to find things that need improving, well those wheels are just spinning, and we have mountains out of molehills. "I don't want to click on THAT icon, I want to click on THIS icon. I mean, if I were trying to come up with an example of extreme laziness and stubbornness, I honestly don't think I could do better than that.

And totally agree, there's no reason why MS doesn't have a store. They should have had one ages ago. Was Apple launching the App Store not a clue? wasn't that like 10 years ago? I still think there's a huge market for MS to have their own in-house app store, if they charge a reasonable fee for developers. I've said this before, but it's a PITA to buy software for a PC online. EVERY developer has their own storefront, with their own account, and passwords that I have to manage. Everyone has different non-standard payment options. It's ridiculous. This isn't inventing Amazon we're talking about it's a fucking DIGITAL SERVICE. This kind of streamlining should have been done ages ago. The only way they could blow it is charging an absurd commission, like %30. If you're selling Ableton Live Studio 9 for $899 USD, you're not going to give 1/3rd of that to someone else who did fuck all to build it. You'll let your customers find you, and deal with a shitty customer service experience to buy your product. If MS charged 5%, they could be making billions per year ad infinitum.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

41. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 20:55 Slick

Drayth wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 17:22:
No man, GoG was Fry's. Lots of miscellaneous things with some real gems hidden in there. Origin = Best Buy, slick store layout (no pun) but only a few key products and higher prices.

Nope. Doesn't fit with the analogy.

Best Buy sells predominantly other people's wares, there aren't a lot of "Best Buy" branded items for sale (or whatever their house brand is), possibly some ridiculous overpriced HDMI cables? 90+% of items sold at best buy are everybody else's stuff, they don't actually make the appliances they're selling. Walmart is no different from best buy, other than to use Walmart as the example of THE undisputed monolithic king of big-box stores.

The point of Origin is it sells predominantly EA's own titles, it's their store for their products. Perhaps Juicy Couture struck a bad chord, how able the Apple Store? They sell 90% Apple stuff, but they have some accessories, and speakers, iphone cases etc. that aren't Apple branded. But the purpose of the Apple store is to give customers a direct way to buy Apple products, instead of say, selling their products exclusively through Best Buy, so that Best Buy can take a %30 cut, even though they're just being a 3rd party retailer. Best Buy didn't put any R and D into developing, manufacturing, and marketing Apple products, so why should Apple be chastised for wanting to sell Apple shit in their own Apple store?

40. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 19:42 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 15:57:

I just think that culturally it's a bit odd that Gamers are obsessed with the publishers and storefronts. I've never heard of anyone uttering the words:

"Brah, I don't ever go to see LionsGate or Paramount films, they're pretty evil"

"Dood, we don't go to Cineplex Cinemas, don't you know they're an evil corporation? They'll never trick me into seeing a movie there."

I think that more scientific study needs to be devoted to this, fuck learning about fast radio bursts, let's figure out what's happening with humans on message boards.

Also, If I were to extend my often-used analogy, I'd say that Origin isn't so much a Fry's, as a Juicy Couture. The point being that Fry's is just like walmart, it sells things from many different brands, and barely has any in-house products. Juicy Couture on the other hand, their stores only sell mostly Juicy Couture products, with other brands being accessories.

I'm tellin ya, still like the place, moderation is great, the characters can at least handle some heat without a major meltdown, but man it seems too many are growing old at heart, not liking the new all that much. Overly grumpy, make mountains out of mole hills etc, granted there are some mountains out there, but not everything is, like a game client/overly... not a mountain. The only chance we had of one store front would have been MS doing this around 2000, never entering the console market, stay solely pc, do it all for free so all publishers could/would use, keep us all nice tidy and loyal to the O/S. But that ship sailed.

39. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 19:12 Creston

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. If you've never played it, please grab it and play it. It is AWESOME.

38. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 17:22 Drayth

No man, GoG was Fry's. Lots of miscellaneous things with some real gems hidden in there. Origin = Best Buy, slick store layout (no pun) but only a few key products and higher prices.  

37. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 15:57 Slick

36. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 15:55 Osc8r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 01:40:
Because Steam is so much better?

Yes. Much.

35. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 11:36 MattyC

Acragas10 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 10:23:
Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 09:45:
Hahaha they are still using that shit? I remember that crap from the XBL days too and even Microsoft ditched the "Points" bullshit. Give it up already Bioware, geez.

They did give up, but for whatever reason never updated some of their old titles to stop using points. SO even if you do bite the bullet and buy the points you need, you better try to get exactly as many as you need, because if you have any left over, nothing will use them again, ever. I'm pretty sure this odd marketing agreement with Bioware/points is why we never got a complete version of ME2, 3 or Dragon Age 2.

The ME2 DLC ranges from interesting to very good, but I wouldn't qualify it as essential to enjoy the game. There's certainly plenty to do in the "base" game that you get for free.

All of this is oddly why I stuck with the Xbox for Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I would have honestly preferred to play them on the PC, but it always seemed like a horrible decision...

34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 11:33 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 06:07:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 05:49:
Getting Mass Effect 2 for free awesome. Convincing the old hold outs that Origin is not equal to selling your PC's soul to the advertising devil? A much harder battle.

Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes? No different then Steam ultimately. And more useful then Ubi's launcher as EA has a wider range of games.

And the DLC, only a couple are worth anything, the rest is generally useless trash.

define "useful".

Between Steam and Origin, they both have a built-in browser (who the fuck cares), they both can stream directly to popular streaming services (any real streamer will be using OBS or xsplit), and an integrated VOIP service (any gamer worth their salt is using discord).

The only thing I can think of is that the steam product pages link to their own forums "discussions" that's actually useful. But that's about it. I don't think it warrants the larger memory footprint, but in all honesty, who the fuck ares about that anyways, we're talking the difference of like 100 to 150 megs of ram. I'm pretty sure this one tab of BluesNews in chrome is taking up about that much.

It's just a storefront. You get BigMacs from the McDonalds store, not from Burger King. Just like you buy EA games from Origin, not Steam. This isn't revolutionary thinking. Just because Steam is the WalMart of the online game stores, doesn't mean that every developer should publish their games in WalMart cause you're too lazy to "walk" (read: click a different icon) to a different store in the mall.

Agreed, but I think those against won't be changing minds soon, like win10, etc. You mention the discussion forum, I don't recall origin having a real rating system either, again nice to have.

My bottom line is reasonable business and what would I do if I were them... it to me is unreasonable for them to have to give steam 30% of the retail price, that alone would force my hand to have to build something like this when your company is that large, that is really the only sane business choice. So with that, I cannot fault them. So it is what it is and it seems to work for me without any headaches.

I live in a world where each game stands on its own, because they make a bad or good game last time, doesn't mean the next will be the same. So I'll judge each as they release. I'm not relying on anyone to have to deliver a great game, if not I'll just pick something else, over 500 games were released new to steam just in Dec, there is plenty to choose from.

I'm hoping the next ME is great, love the engine, if not, oh well, next game up.

33. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 10:23 Acragas10

Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 09:45:
Hahaha they are still using that shit? I remember that crap from the XBL days too and even Microsoft ditched the "Points" bullshit. Give it up already Bioware, geez.

They did give up, but for whatever reason never updated some of their old titles to stop using points. SO even if you do bite the bullet and buy the points you need, you better try to get exactly as many as you need, because if you have any left over, nothing will use them again, ever. I'm pretty sure this odd marketing agreement with Bioware/points is why we never got a complete version of ME2, 3 or Dragon Age 2.

The ME2 DLC ranges from interesting to very good, but I wouldn't qualify it as essential to enjoy the game. There's certainly plenty to do in the "base" game that you get for free.

32. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 09:45 Verno

Playing: FFXII Zodiac Age, Nier Automata, Nioh
Watching: Mr Mercedes, Colossal, It Comes at Night

31. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 09:40 MoonSpook

MattyC wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 08:11:
It appears the DLC is free with this at least.

Nah, only some of it is. The rest you have to buy with Bioware Points, which you can only buy in bundles of 800 or 1600, so to buy all the DLC you'll end up with leftover useless points, not to mention you're paying through the nose for them. I could rant for hours about their stubbornness in not allowing us to pay actual real-world currency for them, but it's a battle we'll never win.

30. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 08:11 MattyC

Morgan19 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 20:47:
christheshitter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 20:26:
I guess EA are the only ones winning on these giveaways.
You don't "have" to dig anywhere, and they only "win" if you make the choice to buy DLC... There are plenty of people happy to play the free game and leave it at that.

It appears the DLC is free with this at least.

29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 07:47 ZeroPike1

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 06:07:
Getting Mass Effect 2 for free awesome. Convincing the old hold outs that Origin is not equal to selling your PC's soul to the advertising devil? A much harder battle.

Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes? No different then Steam ultimately. And more useful then Ubi's launcher as EA has a wider range of games.

And the DLC, only a couple are worth anything, the rest is generally useless trash.

define "useful".

Between Steam and Origin, they both have a built-in browser (who the fuck cares), they both can stream directly to popular streaming services (any real streamer will be using OBS or xsplit), and an integrated VOIP service (any gamer worth their salt is using discord).

The only thing I can think of is that the steam product pages link to their own forums "discussions" that's actually useful. But that's about it. I don't think it warrants the larger memory footprint, but in all honesty, who the fuck ares about that anyways, we're talking the difference of like 100 to 150 megs of ram. I'm pretty sure this one tab of BluesNews in chrome is taking up about that much.

It's just a storefront. You get BigMacs from the McDonalds store, not from Burger King. Just like you buy EA games from Origin, not Steam. This isn't revolutionary thinking. Just because Steam is the WalMart of the online game stores, doesn't mean that every developer should publish their games in WalMart cause you're too lazy to "walk" (read: click a different icon) to a different store in the mall.

I suppose its objective. Based on a person's Library location. Sitting on 300+ games on steam and sitting in some community pages, friends lists. Origins' I have my EA games and Steam friends' extensions. And my Ubi launcher I have Ubi games, and have not ran it in 6+ months and forgot my password.

So I see more use out of Steam then I would the others.

There is no logical reason to stay away from Origin. If you grab a deal and its cheaper through Origin. Grab it.

Of course bringing logic to some knuckleheads is like trying to get a flower to check your taxes. Why bother.

28. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 07:39 ZeroPike1

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 06:04:
Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes?

What's dumb and annoying is when people keep spreading these lies. Origin has a lot of games from many different publishers.

Ohh yeah found them after scrolling through every EA title on the market until I found where they had buried them at the bottom of the store. Which was dumb and annoying to scroll through. So thank god people like you are scrolling to the bottom of lists that nobody else bothers too.

27. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 07:24 Drayth

I guess that makes Origin -> Best Buy.

GOG Downloader = Fry's?

26. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 06:07 Slick

define "useful".

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo