Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Got a new electric water kettle for making coffee here in the BlueTower, as the old one was developing some rust (in spite of being made from stainless steel). Shopping for these reveals an interesting paradox. They seem to come in two varieties: Besides the more common type with the side windows, there are versions that specifically avoid having any plastic come in contact with the water for those concerned about such things. This is the kind I got, and like many of them, it sports the longer gooseneck pouring spout favored by coffee nerds. The unfortunate thing is that these arguably better kettles seem to all be smaller, topping out at around a liter, while my old kettle could hold 1.7 liters. I don't see why avoiding plastics should require diminished capacity, but there it is. The weirder thing is that the plastic-free kettles also don't seem to feature any temperature controls. I could set my old kettle to 200ºF and be good to go when it finished, but this new one only boils. I'm not sure that this must be the case either, and it seems at odds with the coffee-centric pouring spout. So now I have to take the pot off and wait for it to cool a bit. The good news is that 200º was my compromise of the supposedly optimal brewing range of 195º-205º, but the experts say closer to 205º is better, so this will allow me to better pursue percolated perfection.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Xcross Madness.
Story: How Queen Elizabeth Was Almost Shot by Her Own Guard.
Science: Surprise! Monster Burst of Radio Waves Arose in Tiny Galaxy.
Less shrinkage: This is your aging brain on the Mediterranean diet.
Media: Canadian Skeet Shooting, eh.
This Sums Up Motherhood In 34 Seconds.
Where you going with that chicken leg, girl?
Cool Judge Being Fair and Reasonable.
Follow-up: Game of Thrones Season 7 will reportedly increase in 'size and scale'.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2017, 19:13  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 02:28:
Or one could, you know, boil water in a stainless or glass kettle on the stove.

Of course the stove still works. But these kettles are far faster and more energy efficient than using the stove. You get spoiled by the speed pretty quickly.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2017, 12:53 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:04:
Blue wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 14:53:
Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:40:
If Stainless Steel is Stainless, Why Does it Rust?

I'm always amazed when people are amazed at rusty stainless steel.

And why didn't you just get a glass kettle instead? I have the Hamilton-Beach 1.7 litre kettle myself and it works like a champ. No plastic to worry about. And the blue LEDs look cool.

This is the first answered question about your kettle on Amazon:

The jar is not totally made of glass. I bought the kettle after reading these answers and wondered how the glass jar is attached to the stainless steel heating element. There is some kind of plastic (maybe silicone?) part that holds that glass jar and the heating element together and also acts as a sealant. I opened the lid after emptying the hot water (while the pot was still hot) and got a whiff of a very strong plastic odor. I'm pretty certain that the plastic part is being heated to high temperatures. My pot is going back.

No, the LED ring is sealed in glass - it's all one continual piece. So I have no idea what he's talking about. It could have been something in the heating element underneath it but I've had nary a problem like that. That's why I went with this one as the only bits where the water is is stainless steel and glass.

To be fair, that post talks about smell, not taste. And it's certainly worrisome if a new device emits smells while it's supposed to be boiling water, which would indicate an internal temperature touching something plastic above 240°C , and that means you can expect a fault. It could be manufacturing thing that only happens every so often. Plenty of reviews talk about bad smells.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2017, 06:48 Kxmode

Being a shareholder of Activision Blizzard affords me the ability to see what's going on with the company in real time. This Form 4 filing by Mike Morhaime appeared on January 4th. According to the report, it looks like Mike exercised his option to dispose of 31,879 shares of ATVI for $139,999 and another disposal of 34,787 shares of ATVI for $178,878 for a combined cashout of $318,877. I wonder if he's getting ready to retire from Blizzard, like many of his colleagues have.

Note the Transaction Codes. According to the SEC:

F - Payment of exercise price or tax liability using portion of securities received from the company
G - Gift of securities by or to the insider

----

More news and information from Dow Jones:

Cowen Sees Hard Road Ahead for Activision -- Market Talk
— 1:31 PM ET 01/04/2017

Cowen now thinks Activision Blizzard's ( ATVI ) latest "Call of Duty" video game has sold even fewer units than it originally projected, even though the shooter was November's top-selling title in the US, according to NPD. Also, Cowen no longer assumes ATVI's Blizzard unit will release a new game in FY17 due to a lack of announcements at its annual fan convention in November or since then. "While the stock is likely to confront an earnings overhang in the immediate term, we think a better outlook for FY18 will eventually get shares moving higher again," Cowen says. It cuts its FY17 EPS estimate for ATVI by 16% to $1.82. ATVI gains 1.1% to $37.05; shares are down more than 15% since the company reported earnings Nov. 3.

Not sure what but it's like Mike is retiring, or he is selling his shares before the stock tumbles further. I've seen ATVI get hit hard in recent weeks and months. I bought my position at $44.92 and since has seen it dropped 15.54% to $37.94. Unacceptable!

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2017, 07:01.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2017, 02:28 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:48:

And why didn't you just get a glass kettle instead? I have the Hamilton-Beach 1.7 litre kettle myself and it works like a champ. No plastic to worry about. And the blue LEDs look cool.

The jar is not totally made of glass. I bought the kettle after reading these answers and wondered how the glass jar is attached to the stainless steel heating element. There is some kind of plastic (maybe silicone?) part that holds that glass jar and the heating element together and also acts as a sealant. I opened the lid after emptying the hot water (while the pot was still hot) and got a whiff of a very strong plastic odor. I'm pretty certain that the plastic part is being heated to high temperatures. My pot is going back.

No, the LED ring is sealed in glass - it's all one continual piece. So I have no idea what he's talking about. It could have been something in the heating element underneath it but I've had nary a problem like that. That's why I went with this one as the only bits where the water is is stainless steel and glass.
Jeez Blue,
Didn't you know that when glass and steel are placed next to each other they form a perfect water tight seal. No glues, epoxies, rubbers or bpa / estrogen leaching plastics are needed.

But on the good side at least you'd be guaranteed a rusty stainless steel bottom freely flavoring your H2O. at least according to the reviews.

Or one could, you know, boil water in a stainless or glass kettle on the stove.

Stay a while, and listen.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2017, 02:26 jdreyer

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:41:
Kicking Horse coffee is amazing with an Aeropress and a metal (laser punched) filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Able-Brewing-Coffee-AeroPress-Espresso/dp/B00E58P7ME

Kona whole bean.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 18:48 RedEye9

Jeez Blue,
Didn't you know that when glass and steel are placed next to each other they form a perfect water tight seal. No glues, epoxies, rubbers or bpa / estrogen leaching plastics are needed.

But on the good side at least you'd be guaranteed a rusty stainless steel bottom freely flavoring your H2O. at least according to the reviews.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 18:41 Rectal Prolapse

Kicking Horse coffee is amazing with an Aeropress and a metal (laser punched) filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Able-Brewing-Coffee-AeroPress-Espresso/dp/B00E58P7ME

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 18:04 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 17:52 Burrito of Peace

Heathens.

The only proper hot drink is tea.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 17:25 Wallshadows

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:42:
Just a french press or an Aeropress? All I've ever used is a french press. Just remember, your optimal brewing time is about 5 minutes. So I always pour my cup that I'm drinking and pour the rest into a thermos style cup to keep hot and from getting anymore bitter.

Just a basic french press. I haven't dabbled around with how hot the water should get as I usually just bring it to a boil then pour it in to the press, give it a stir and leave it for five minutes before plunging and pouring. I ran out of the good stuff so now I'm on my "back of the cupboard" Maxwell House reserve which, quite frankly, leaves a little to be desired with taste whether it's fresh or a couple hours old.

I'll keep a thermos handy though when I restock on some Kicking Horse.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 14:53  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: hey girl Jan 5, 2017, 14:16 Agent-Zero

damn, that bitch got some big titties  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 13:42 Cutter

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:33:
I got a coffee press over the holidays and have been going non-stop with it. I hate to sound like a hipster but it definitely tastes different than just running the coffee through a k-cup single cradle with my own brew.

Just a french press or an Aeropress? All I've ever used is a french press. Just remember, your optimal brewing time is about 5 minutes. So I always pour my cup that I'm drinking and pour the rest into a thermos style cup to keep hot and from getting anymore bitter.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 13:40 Cutter

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 13:33 Wallshadows

I got a coffee press over the holidays and have been going non-stop with it. I hate to sound like a hipster but it definitely tastes different than just running the coffee through a k-cup single cradle with my own brew.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 13:32 jdreyer

RoboNerd wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:45:
The story on the Queen nearly getting plugged reminded me of something I've noticed about the national media - they seemed to be fascinated by anything related to the British Royal family. The Queen gets a cold and we hear about it. Are we being conditioned to being sympathetic to monarchy? Why is it always the British Royal Family? There are after all other monarchies in the world. This Royal Family was the one we fought two wars to be rid of. I say good riddance. King

This was awesome:

“Bloody hell, Your Majesty, I nearly shot you,” the guard reportedly told her after realizing his mistake.

“That’s quite all right,” she responded. “Next time I’ll ring through beforehand so you don’t have to shoot me.”

That exchange is just SOOOO British.

Also, if this had happened in the USA, she would have been shot.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 Mr. Tact

RoboNerd wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:45:
Why is it always the British Royal Family?
I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question, but just in case it wasn't the answer is pretty obvious. The US started as British colonies. We share a common language. The UK is now one of our closest allies. We may have kicked out the British monarchy roughly 240 years ago, but there are still many things that tie the two of us together.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 11:20 eRe4s3r

I have a 1.7l stainless steel cattle with a water temp wheel from a discounter, but I assume you don't have Aldi where you live.. aside that, yeah, no plastic in my water. Hate the taste that creates  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 11:05 RedEye9

We can only hope that members of our secret service have itchier trigger fingers.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 10:45 RoboNerd

The story on the Queen nearly getting plugged reminded me of something I've noticed about the national media - they seemed to be fascinated by anything related to the British Royal family. The Queen gets a cold and we hear about it. Are we being conditioned to being sympathetic to monarchy? Why is it always the British Royal Family? There are after all other monarchies in the world. This Royal Family was the one we fought two wars to be rid of. I say good riddance. King

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo