Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda in March

The Mass Effect website announces March 21st as the release date for Mass Effect: Andromeda, the continuation of the sci-fi action/RPG series. Here's the update from Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare:

On behalf of our teams across Montreal, Edmonton and Austin, I’m excited to announce that Mass Effect™: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe. We appreciate your patience (and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game. Here’s a little bit of context into how we’ve gotten here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is our most ambitious Mass Effect game to date. We’re telling completely new stories, creating new characters, new planets, new species, and introducing new gameplay systems. And for the first time, we’re bringing Mass Effect to the FrostbiteTM game engine, an incredible engine that’s delivering a tremendous graphical jump from the trilogy to Mass Effect: Andromeda. To deliver on this, we’re taking all the time we can to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience.

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

Even more exciting for us over the last couple of months has been seeing the excitement build in the community as we’ve started to share more about the game. The passion you have for the franchise continues to drive us. And now, we’re just a couple of months away from delivering a brand new Mass Effect experience to you for the first time in five years – richer, deeper and ready for exploration. We’re excited about how far we are going with the franchise, and we hope you find it’s been worth the wait.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 04:27 Quinn

NKD wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 02:29:
I never once felt bothered by the gay romance options, or felt like they were trying to force it upon me.

I think some people could do with a little introspection about why certain things bug them more than they bug other people. Is it really trying to "convince you that you need to be gay"? If not, then why are you emotionally driven to exaggeration by it? Were you also bothered by the romance options that, while straight, weren't the ones you were interested in? Why did only the gay ones bother you?

A lot of the problems we have as humans stem from a lack of introspection. We don't examine why we feel the way we do about things. Some people feel strongly about some gay content in their games, but they don't examine why. They often get defensive about it too, and vigorously deny hating gay people.

"I don't hate gays, but I don't ever want to be reminded they exist or that I share the same world with them. If I am, I'll scream bloody murder about it being forced upon me." seems to be a popular opinion among gamers when it comes to gay content in games.

While I mostly agree with you, people like you should also be careful not to misrepresent and exaggerate what the other is actually saying. Like the SJW's who scream "racist!" the moment someone says they dislike the BLM movement,for example.

You don't have to be a homophobe if you believe that gayness was forced upon you in Mass Effect. I agree with the guy. You can call me whatever you want, or say that I lack introspection, but all I can say to that is that I am perfectly comfortable around gay people and have some gay colleagues around me daily that I find extremely enjoyable people. Still I also observed a sense of "forced upon"-ness. A "look how incredibly morally amazing we are" type of message. Hell, maybe that's a good thing and necessary to give some perspective to actual homophobes. I don't know. Whatever the case, it felt forced upon to me and sometimes it can be kinda tiresome having to battle Social Justice Warriors all of the time because they have the delusion of being able to read people's minds and feelings.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 03:53 Jerykk

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:50:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:42:
NamecaF wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:33:
I was hoping for more of a return to the first game with the emphasis on exploration and RPG and less on all the constant Michael Bay gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. And I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite.

Love the reactionary posts. Where to begin...

1) Andromeda is bringing back the planetary exploration from the first game, only with actual stuff to do on said planets rather than drive around an empty landscape in a vehicle that handles like crap.

2) Mass Effect has always been shooter first, RPG second. This was true of the first game, only it had pretty crappy combat and lackluster level design. The skill tree was more complex, sure, but there was a lot of filler and leveling wasn't exactly interesting.

3) There are new races and stories.

Love your reactionary reply. Where to begin..

1) Its pretty funny

2) Posts have always been reactionary, take a fucking look around.

3) It has a list, with numbers and shit.

Actually, there are a good number of people here who put thought into their posts rather than resorting to snarky comments without substance and without addressing any actual points made by anyone.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:25:
The problem is when companies go for the "rah-rah, look at us! We're awesommely diverse, look at all these diverse characters! Look at this, you can be a quadragendered-octopus-train engine!" Instead of investing in story, and making it a meaningful story.

I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

15. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 03:25 Mashiki Amiketo

Sho wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 01:22:
Feeling sad for people who can't enjoy games I guess.
I'm pretty sure everyone can enjoy games. The problem is when companies go for the "rah-rah, look at us! We're awesommely diverse, look at all these diverse characters! Look at this, you can be a quadragendered-octopus-train engine!" Instead of investing in story, and making it a meaningful story.

Will wait for reviews, not expecting consumer reviews to be good aka another DA2 fiasco. Expecting many review sites like polygon and kotaku to be falling all over themselves that this is the second coming though. I'm hoping I'm fully wrong too.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 02:33 Rhett

Well I'm looking forward to it anyway... Also, hype for multiplayer again! Can't be any worse than some devs have been lately with microtransactions, if they handle it like the last game.  

13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 02:29 NKD

I never once felt bothered by the gay romance options, or felt like they were trying to force it upon me.

I think some people could do with a little introspection about why certain things bug them more than they bug other people. Is it really trying to "convince you that you need to be gay"? If not, then why are you emotionally driven to exaggeration by it? Were you also bothered by the romance options that, while straight, weren't the ones you were interested in? Why did only the gay ones bother you?

A lot of the problems we have as humans stem from a lack of introspection. We don't examine why we feel the way we do about things. Some people feel strongly about some gay content in their games, but they don't examine why. They often get defensive about it too, and vigorously deny hating gay people.

"I don't hate gays, but I don't ever want to be reminded they exist or that I share the same world with them. If I am, I'll scream bloody murder about it being forced upon me." seems to be a popular opinion among gamers when it comes to gay content in games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

12. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 02:29 VaranDragon

NKD wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:26:
Be smart, don't be a retard, wait for reviews.

This.

11. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 01:56 Slick

Bundy wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:56:
I'll just be happy if Bioware stops trying to check all the LGBTQ boxes with every RPG they make, and trying really REALLY hard to convince me that I need to be gay.

lol

One time I saw this movie about cowboys, now I pork dudes in the butt, I'm easily suggestible.

Also, perhaps the idea is that you can be civil to someone interested in you romantically, I'm not sure what a "fuck off faggot I'm not gay" dialogue option would add to the experience. I mean it would be kinda funny, but this isn't Saint's Row. And even then I doubt SR would be that tactless...

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 01:22 Sho

Feeling sad for people who can't enjoy games I guess.  

9. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 00:56 Bundy

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:50:
I was hoping for more of a return to the first game with the emphasis on exploration and RPG and less on all the constant Michael Bay gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. And I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite.

1) Andromeda is bringing back the planetary exploration from the first game, only with actual stuff to do on said planets rather than drive around an empty landscape in a vehicle that handles like crap.

2) Mass Effect has always been shooter first, RPG second. This was true of the first game, only it had pretty crappy combat and lackluster level design. The skill tree was more complex, sure, but there was a lot of filler and leveling wasn't exactly interesting.

1) Its pretty funny

You forgot to add a poll. Every anti-reactionary reactionary flamebait fanboy post needs a good poll.

[ ] Shep
[ ] FemShep

Done.

Frankly I'll just be happy if Bioware stops trying to check all the LGBTQ boxes with every RPG they make, and trying really REALLY hard to convince me that I need to be gay. Why wasn't there a "I'm your fucking commanding officer and I'm not fucking gay. Stop hitting on me and just fly the fucking shuttle craft. And NO! I don't want to dance. Fuck" dialog option.

Oh look at that, I ranted.

8. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 00:50 Agent-Zero

1) Its pretty funny

7. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 00:42 Jerykk

6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 00:33 NamecaF

Have you seen the "gameplay" trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

It looks like shit. They go all the way to another freaking GALAXY and you're still running into the same alien races from the first lot of games?

And why are they all against each other if they went there on the same ship?

I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite from ME2 and 3.

I was also hoping for more of a return to the first game; with the emphasis on exploration, story, role playing, etc. and less on the constant gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. I mean, honestly, it's like "Michael Bay" came and took over on the sequels.

5. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 00:26 NKD

Be smart, don't be a retard, wait for reviews.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 4, 2017, 23:13 Cutter

I can't see it being anything other than a typical BiowarEA game. Maybe they took a page from Witcher 3 on how to do make a good game, but I doubt it.

Shootin' at the walls of heartache, bang, bang, I am the warrior! Yes I am the warrior and heart to heart you win if you survive!

3. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 4, 2017, 22:08 Agent-Zero

wondering if this will just be Dragon Age Inquisition in space...

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2017, 22:22.

2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 4, 2017, 21:48 CJ_Parker

YAWN!

*Doing the patented, well-documented, and quite unflattering Shepard nap*

1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 4, 2017, 21:17 SlimRam

YAY!

*Doing the patented, well-documented, and quite unflattering Shepard dance*

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer