Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda in March

The Mass Effect website announces March 21st as the release date for Mass Effect: Andromeda, the continuation of the sci-fi action/RPG series. Here's the update from Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare:

On behalf of our teams across Montreal, Edmonton and Austin, I’m excited to announce that Mass Effect™: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe. We appreciate your patience (and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game. Here’s a little bit of context into how we’ve gotten here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is our most ambitious Mass Effect game to date. We’re telling completely new stories, creating new characters, new planets, new species, and introducing new gameplay systems. And for the first time, we’re bringing Mass Effect to the FrostbiteTM game engine, an incredible engine that’s delivering a tremendous graphical jump from the trilogy to Mass Effect: Andromeda. To deliver on this, we’re taking all the time we can to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience.

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

Even more exciting for us over the last couple of months has been seeing the excitement build in the community as we’ve started to share more about the game. The passion you have for the franchise continues to drive us. And now, we’re just a couple of months away from delivering a brand new Mass Effect experience to you for the first time in five years – richer, deeper and ready for exploration. We’re excited about how far we are going with the franchise, and we hope you find it’s been worth the wait.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 13:59 Agent-Zero

all the romance stuff is hilariously awkward and cringey at best, the gay stuff and the straight stuff... its dumb as shit across the board.. its like some kind of cheap cinemax softcore made for teenyboppers and fantasy nerds

im just wondering when they will start adding transgender and neutral and a-sexual and so forth in there, i bet thats next on the agenda... that will be pretty entertaining

frankly it would be super difficult to include "realistic" romantic scenarios without making it the primary focus of the game considering all the hyper-nuanced bullshit that goes into real life relationships

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 13:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:59:

So is it shoe horned when a female character is obviously inserted strictly to appeal to male players? Why is it ok on one hand but bad on the other? Could it be perhaps that they're just trying to appeal to different people? That gay character seems shoe horned to you because it's not there for you.

That's called "fan service" and it's just as bad. Sometimes it's even worse. Funny enough, that "gay character" which is shoe horned in as it seems to me? Those gay friends of mine see it the same way, shitty-assed-shoe horning which detracts from the actual game, story and narrative. What most people want is unique characters, which are unique and aren't jammed in. This is no different then the current escapades of absolute garbage being jammed into comic books in order to pander to a demographic which is so abysmally small that it's driving the core audience away.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

35. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 13:21 Cutter

I'm replaying DAI right now and BiowarEA does tend to lay it on really thick. It's clumsy and awkward and they need to stop doing it. Even the straight relationships are pretty wincingly bad.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

34. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 12:46 Creston

NamecaF wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:33:
Have you seen the "gameplay" trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

It looks like shit. They go all the way to another freaking GALAXY and you're still running into the same alien races from the first lot of games?

Again, if you paid attention for more than five seconds, you'd realize they say that the city Ryder visits is the city where all the outcasts from the Nexus wound up. The nexus being sort of like the hub where all the milky way races wind up. So yeah, it kind of makes sense that you'd run into milky way races there.

And why are they all against each other if they went there on the same ship?

They didn't. Each race sent their own ark ships.

I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite from ME2 and 3.

There will only be 1 new race, and it's just the adversary, so yeah, that's pretty disappointing. Then again, the only reason they go to Andromeda is because Mac Walters wrote them into a corner and it's the only way they can get out from under the Reaper bullshit.

I was also hoping for more of a return to the first game; with the emphasis on exploration, story, role playing, etc. and less on the constant gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. I mean, honestly, it's like "Michael Bay" came and took over on the sequels.

There are, by reports, like 12+ full planets you can investigate and several small outpost like sections, so where that's concerned it should be fine. Also, ME1 had just as much combat as ME2/3, it was just shitty combat versus decent combat, so eh.

Wait for reviews. I'm planning on getting it day one, so I will post a review a few days later.

33. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 12:38 Creston

Whooooo!  

32. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 12:12 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:59:
Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:56:
Using one's own experiences in arguments is usually a weak and stupid thing to do, except for some cases. When someone claims you're a racist toward black people and you tell them you have black friends, it's really not as ridiculous a point as many SJWs claim it to be. Same here. You claim to know me better than I know myself by telling me I'm a homophobe. If I was, however, I'd have an issue with having gay people around me. I obviously don't. Unlike many, however, I don't think being gay is somehow better or cooler than being hetero. I'm actually indifferent about it.

You've had numerous comments moderated regarding other races, cultures and sexual preferences. You can protest all you want but the proof is in the pudding, you reveal yourself with every ignorant comment like you did in this thread, claiming gay choices were being forced on you and only backing down when others prove otherwise. "battle of semantics", what a cop out.

Dude, since those so-called racial/homophobic comments have been moderated (what, removed or whatever you mean?), there's really no knowing what it is I said.

Show me one of these comments where I'm such a racist, Islamophobe (guess that's what you're getting at with "cultural"?) or homophobe. 100% certain it's yourself who reads racist, Islamophobic or homophobic shit into it.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

31. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 11:59 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:56:
Using one's own experiences in arguments is usually a weak and stupid thing to do, except for some cases. When someone claims you're a racist toward black people and you tell them you have black friends, it's really not as ridiculous a point as many SJWs claim it to be. Same here. You claim to know me better than I know myself by telling me I'm a homophobe. If I was, however, I'd have an issue with having gay people around me. I obviously don't. Unlike many, however, I don't think being gay is somehow better or cooler than being hetero. I'm actually indifferent about it.

You've had numerous comments moderated regarding other races, cultures and sexual preferences. You can protest all you want but the proof is in the pudding, you reveal yourself with every ignorant comment like you did in this thread, claiming gay choices were being forced on you and only backing down when others prove otherwise. "battle of semantics", what a cop out.

Go ask your "gay friends" what they think of your thoughts here. That'll be good for a laugh.

t's not that the person is so as written. It's shoehorning and then the vibrant declarations of such.

So is it shoe horned when a female character is obviously inserted strictly to appeal to male players? Why is it ok on one hand but bad on the other? Could it be perhaps that they're just trying to appeal to different people? That gay character seems shoe horned to you because it's not there for you.

30. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 11:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:53:
I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

It's not that the person is so as written. It's shoehorning and then the vibrant declarations of such. Think of it this way, in FO2 you could hook up with someone of the same sex. Get married to them, haul their shitty ass around that could get 1-shot by a mole rat. But at no point did it become a talking point like: "Hey, I'm gay. Look at me and how it makes me a great NPC/PC/etc. Let me tell you my life story" every 20th sentence for example. It's not a selling point to most people, but for some companies the shoehorning is a selling point which is what pisses people off. Compare the shoehorning in DA3, and then compare the "current year" bit in Witcher 3. See the difference?

The problem ending wise for ME3 is you know what the end is. Even if the journey to that end is great, you know it's coming. And the closer you get to it, the more you dread that it's going to throw off the enjoyment you've had getting there. That rounds off that they claimed "all your choices would have an impact, it would change how the ending would play out, etc, etc, etc."

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 11:50 Quinn

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:37:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:17:
We all have gay friends, whether we are aware of it or not. Why do people feel like they need to preface their ridiculous excuses for homophobia with that as if they achieved a mystery Boy Scout patch for allowing people to exist in their presence that would have existed anyway?

The idea that these human beings wouldn't/shouldn't be represented in our fictional or non-fictional entertainment is ridiculous. The fact that they are today becoming less of a headline and more the norm only highlights how fucking backwards we were as a culture previously.

Mass Effect forces nothing on you except maybe the acknowledgement that someone or multiple someones in the game might be gay. If that bothers you...than you aren't any gay person's friend. You simply tolerate their existence. Get over yourself.

+1

+1? Alright, let's analyze:

We all have gay friends, whether we are aware of it or not. Why do people feel like they need to preface their ridiculous excuses for homophobia with that as if they achieved a mystery Boy Scout patch for allowing people to exist in their presence that would have existed anyway?

The key thing in the argument "I have no problem with gay people" or "I have gay friends" is that you do know they are gay, of course. If you are completely fine with gay people or if you even have gay friends, you are literally by definition not a fucking homophobe. It's not a damn mantra I'm shouting off rooftops -- it's reactionary to people labeling me as a homophobe.

The idea that these human beings wouldn't/shouldn't be represented in our fictional or non-fictional entertainment is ridiculous.

Who said this in this thread? It's a red herring. It's unnecessary to misrepresent someone's POV and as I said earlier, it's something people tend to do when they religiously believe they are morally superior.

The fact that they are today becoming less of a headline and more the norm only highlights how fucking backwards we were as a culture previously.

I totally agree.

Mass Effect forces nothing on you except maybe the acknowledgement that someone or multiple someones in the game might be gay. If that bothers you..

It doesn't. Never said that that's what bothered me. What bothered me was the unsubtleness of Steve's character. It screamed "GAY PPL ARE NORMALLLL AND ALL OF YOU HOMOPHOBES SHOULD KNOW THISSSS!" to me, which can at some point become annoying for someone who doesn't need that lesson. That's all. (EDIT: allow me to steal Mashiki Amiketo's link he posted above. These 2 fat gamers got it right, imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLPodSLV1M&feature=youtu.be&t=27m50s)

Congrats for getting the brownie-point from RedEye9 though.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2017, 12:05.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

28. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 11:37 RedEye9

Jivaro wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:17:

The idea that these human beings wouldn't/shouldn't be represented in our fictional or non-fictional entertainment is ridiculous. The fact that they are today becoming less of a headline and more the norm only highlights how fucking backwards we were as a culture previously.

Mass Effect forces nothing on you except maybe the acknowledgement that someone or multiple someones in the game might be gay. If that bothers you...than you aren't any gay person's friend. You simply tolerate their existence. Get over yourself.

+1

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

27. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 10:56 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 09:21:
Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 04:27:
While I mostly agree with you, people like you should also be careful not to misrepresent and exaggerate what the other is actually saying. Like the SJW's who scream "racist!" the moment someone says they dislike the BLM movement,for example.

You don't have to be a homophobe if you believe that gayness was forced upon you in Mass Effect. I agree with the guy. You can call me whatever you want, or say that I lack introspection, but all I can say to that is that I am perfectly comfortable around gay people and have some gay colleagues around me daily that I find extremely enjoyable people. Still I also observed a sense of "forced upon"-ness. A "look how incredibly morally amazing we are" type of message. Hell, maybe that's a good thing and necessary to give some perspective to actual homophobes. I don't know. Whatever the case, it felt forced upon to me and sometimes it can be kinda tiresome having to battle Social Justice Warriors all of the time because they have the delusion of being able to read people's minds and feelings.

The guy with incredibly racist and homophobic comments in his history saying "I totally have gay friends so my obviously homophobic view point are ok" is just meaningless bullshit and very transparent.

There was nothing forced on the player. Are you unable to comprehend what the word force means? You would have no choice. There were choices in the game for straight players, gay players and bi players. Nothing was forced on anyone at any time. The fact that you think offering others options is you being forced to do something screams about your internal thoughts on the matter and how insensitive you are. Let's be fucking blunt here. You just don't want to see other options because they threaten your world view. You would prefer they put a tickbox at the very beginning of the game saying "Please don't even hint any gayness, I am too fucking immature".

When the game forces you to romance a gay dude, you are being forced. The games have clearly delineated romance breakpoints and they never force you to do anything. It's fine to say you think the game is moralizing to you and that it's obnoxious. It's not ok to falsely claim the game is forcing anything on the player.

You are right about one thing: in a battle of semantics, I shouldn't have used the word "forced". What I meant was that they forced their awesome moral compass down my throat. But KNOW, because this is important, that I am solely talking about Mass Effect 3; solely talking about Steve. I'm sure his character was the victim of a terrible deadline, but whatever. Also note that nowhere did I mention I had a problem with the available gay romance options. Nowhere.

But hey, you know what's funny? You are doing exactly what I advised the other guy not to do: exaggerating and misrepresenting another's POV plus deluding yourself that you can read my mind and my feelings. This argument is about me and how I feel, so you are in a fucking huge disadvantage here. I am telling you that I am no homophobe. If you believe I am, somehow, then there is nothing I can say or do to change your mind.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 10:24 Rigs

Actually, there are a good number of people here who put thought into their posts rather than resorting to snarky comments without substance and without addressing any actual points made by anyone.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Am I one of them?! Please say I'm one of them!

Yes, seriously. My self-esteem depends on if people like what I post.

For real.*

Also, +1 for mentioning B5...I always felt that ME was closest in having that B5 feel and the Minbari - Asari similarities can't be a coincidence.

=-Rigs-=

*Not really.

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

25. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 10:17 Jivaro

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 10:12 Drayth

* Spoilers *

Babylon 5 Station -> Citadel

Shadows -> Reapers

Minbari -> Asari

The allied roguish minor races -> Roguish misc races near Omega

Epic battle between current races and ancient races -> Epic battle between current races vs the ancient reapers.

etc etc etc....

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 09:59 ForgedReality

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 05:49:
Tom wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 04:45:
The ME3 ending sucked. Did it make the whole game/series complete garbage? No. But it certainly had a big negative impact, and rightfully so.

The funny thing is that ME was pretty much a ripoff of the TV show Babylon 5 right from the beginning and then they did such a worse ending!

Curious response. I'm interested to know in what ways it's like B5, one of the best sci-fi shows ever created.

Disclaimer: I did not play ME2 or 3.

22. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 09:21 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 04:27:
While I mostly agree with you, people like you should also be careful not to misrepresent and exaggerate what the other is actually saying. Like the SJW's who scream "racist!" the moment someone says they dislike the BLM movement,for example.

You don't have to be a homophobe if you believe that gayness was forced upon you in Mass Effect. I agree with the guy. You can call me whatever you want, or say that I lack introspection, but all I can say to that is that I am perfectly comfortable around gay people and have some gay colleagues around me daily that I find extremely enjoyable people. Still I also observed a sense of "forced upon"-ness. A "look how incredibly morally amazing we are" type of message. Hell, maybe that's a good thing and necessary to give some perspective to actual homophobes. I don't know. Whatever the case, it felt forced upon to me and sometimes it can be kinda tiresome having to battle Social Justice Warriors all of the time because they have the delusion of being able to read people's minds and feelings.

The guy with incredibly racist and homophobic comments in his history saying "I totally have gay friends so my obviously homophobic view point are ok" is just meaningless bullshit and very transparent.

There was nothing forced on the player. Are you unable to comprehend what the word force means? You would have no choice. There were choices in the game for straight players, gay players and bi players. Nothing was forced on anyone at any time. The fact that you think offering others options is you being forced to do something screams about your internal thoughts on the matter and how insensitive you are. Let's be fucking blunt here. You just don't want to see other options because they threaten your world view. You would prefer they put a tickbox at the very beginning of the game saying "Please don't even hint any gayness, I am too fucking immature".

When the game forces you to romance a gay dude, you are being forced. The games have clearly delineated romance breakpoints and they never force you to do anything. It's fine to say you think the game is moralizing to you and that it's obnoxious. It's not ok to falsely claim the game is forcing anything on the player.

21. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 06:52 The Half Elf

Bundy wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:56:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:50:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:42:
NamecaF wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 00:33:
I was hoping for more of a return to the first game with the emphasis on exploration and RPG and less on all the constant Michael Bay gunplay and combat every 15 seconds. And I was hoping for all new races and stories, but this just looks like the same ol' shite.

Love the reactionary posts. Where to begin...

1) Andromeda is bringing back the planetary exploration from the first game, only with actual stuff to do on said planets rather than drive around an empty landscape in a vehicle that handles like crap.

2) Mass Effect has always been shooter first, RPG second. This was true of the first game, only it had pretty crappy combat and lackluster level design. The skill tree was more complex, sure, but there was a lot of filler and leveling wasn't exactly interesting.

3) There are new races and stories.

Love your reactionary reply. Where to begin..

1) Its pretty funny

2) Posts have always been reactionary, take a fucking look around.

3) It has a list, with numbers and shit.

You forgot to add a poll. Every anti-reactionary reactionary flamebait fanboy post needs a good poll.

[ ] Shep
[ ] FemShep

Done.

Frankly I'll just be happy if Bioware stops trying to check all the LGBTQ boxes with every RPG they make, and trying really REALLY hard to convince me that I need to be gay. Why wasn't there a "I'm your fucking commanding officer and I'm not fucking gay. Stop hitting on me and just fly the fucking shuttle craft. And NO! I don't want to dance. Fuck" dialog option.

Oh look at that, I ranted.

FORCE YOU TO BE GAY?!? The options are there if you want them but in no way shape or form do they FORCE them on you. Hell they don't even force the straight options on you.
Hell the only guy I WANTED to fuck in Mass Effect was Vega ( I mean look at the guy, DAMN! *in best Hey Ask Watcha Playing voice*) and you can't.
But if you want a really good laugh have a gay relationship with Iron Bull in Dragon Age Inq. Or go watch the clips

And no you didn't rant, more of tirade. But my use of tirade is as accurate as Bioware forcing gay choices on you.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 06:45 The Half Elf

1st playthrough I play to my style which is always Paragon Shepard.
2nd playthrough will be Renegade FemShep for laughs.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 05:49 Wesp5

Tom wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 04:45:
The ME3 ending sucked. Did it make the whole game/series complete garbage? No. But it certainly had a big negative impact, and rightfully so.

The funny thing is that ME was pretty much a ripoff of the TV show Babylon 5 right from the beginning and then they did such a worse ending!

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 04:45 Tom

I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

Time spent landing a plane may only be 1% of the flight time but it's a rather important 1%.

The ME3 ending sucked. Did it make the whole game/series complete garbage? No. But it certainly had a big negative impact, and rightfully so. With each game in the series they kept leading people on, building things up, and then in the end it went nowhere. Players with hundreds of hours of playtime in the series were left with a very unsatisfying resolution to the story. And why? All the money spent on development, all the money they raked in from sales, and management didn't have the good sense to hire some decent writers.

The most frustrating thing about it is that it's hardly a problem specific to Mass Effect. It's the norm for games (and movies) to fail horribly when it comes to the writing.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo