Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda in March

The Mass Effect website announces March 21st as the release date for Mass Effect: Andromeda, the continuation of the sci-fi action/RPG series. Here's the update from Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare:

On behalf of our teams across Montreal, Edmonton and Austin, I’m excited to announce that Mass Effect™: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe. We appreciate your patience (and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game. Here’s a little bit of context into how we’ve gotten here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is our most ambitious Mass Effect game to date. We’re telling completely new stories, creating new characters, new planets, new species, and introducing new gameplay systems. And for the first time, we’re bringing Mass Effect to the FrostbiteTM game engine, an incredible engine that’s delivering a tremendous graphical jump from the trilogy to Mass Effect: Andromeda. To deliver on this, we’re taking all the time we can to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience.

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

Even more exciting for us over the last couple of months has been seeing the excitement build in the community as we’ve started to share more about the game. The passion you have for the franchise continues to drive us. And now, we’re just a couple of months away from delivering a brand new Mass Effect experience to you for the first time in five years – richer, deeper and ready for exploration. We’re excited about how far we are going with the franchise, and we hope you find it’s been worth the wait.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 8, 2017, 10:29 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 06:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:45:
Other than that, I think Andromeda looks very good. But I'm a HUGE ME fan, (Huge. Yuuuuuuuge! Like, the biggest fan!) so take that as you will.
Brother please stop, I'm RIGHT there with you. I LOVE this franchise and they are seriously going to have to fuck this up for me to hate it. This is EASILY a day one purchase for me regardless of reviews. I can only hope that you might be with me there when we play online? I'm seriously gimped because of my stroke but I still have one good hand and i'll defend the galaxy with you if you'll have meh!

A stroke? Jesus, buddy, I'm so sorry to hear that.

But yeah, we'll play online.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 7, 2017, 06:52 SlimRam

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:45:
Other than that, I think Andromeda looks very good. But I'm a HUGE ME fan, (Huge. Yuuuuuuuge! Like, the biggest fan!) so take that as you will.
Brother please stop, I'm RIGHT there with you. I LOVE this franchise and they are seriously going to have to fuck this up for me to hate it. This is EASILY a day one purchase for me regardless of reviews. I can only hope that you might be with me there when we play online? I'm seriously gimped because of my stroke but I still have one good hand and i'll defend the galaxy with you if you'll have meh!

55. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 6, 2017, 16:45 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 16:46:
Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 12:46:
There are, by reports, like 12+ full planets you can investigate and several small outpost like sections, so where that's concerned it should be fine. Also, ME1 had just as much combat as ME2/3, it was just shitty combat versus decent combat, so eh.

Wait for reviews. I'm planning on getting it day one, so I will post a review a few days later.

The real question is, did they just DA:I this game? I saw a lot of "collect resources and upgrade your stuffs!" bullshit in the previous trailers. What do you think of this game so far?

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. Though Bioware has been asked that question multiple times in interviews, and they say they learned from DA:I in that respect, and it doesn't have it near as much. Whether that's true or not, nobody can really say until the game is out, of course.

To be honest, the "Gather 500 of these" in every map stuff in DA:I didn't really bother me, as I tend to visit every nook and cranny of a map anyway, and thus will pick all that stuff up as I walk past it. It was also very easy to ignore, as you didn't even really get that much cool stuff from it.

54. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 6, 2017, 08:41 Verno

Fion wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:33:
Yea the one thing that bugs me is all the races are the same. All these people from various races of the Milky Way hop a big ass ship based on the design of the Citadel and this new galaxy - bigger than our own - has no new races?

Oh my mistake, a simple google search reveals there's one new race. Unless the others are like super secret.

Also this story is no longer about earth, so why cant I play a different species than human this time?

All good points and I suspect its probably just asset reuse bullshit unfortunately. I would've been fine with an entirely new game using the same engine instead of another ME game with all of its associated baggage.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

53. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 21:20 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:50:
Yes please, space battles. The descriptions of ship battles in the old ME codex's were freaking awesome.

This is a series that could really use the equivalent of FF Tactics, only the tactics involves ship-to-ship combat.

If I had time, I'd go looking for the post I made some time around ME3's release about how cool it would be to have an X-wing-style simulator in the ME universe, like playing one of those small fighters in the last big battle sequence at Earth, flying in between those bigger cruisers and capital ships as they duke it out, firing on each other, being blasted to bits that you have to fly through (ala the beginning of SW:Ep3:RotS). I mean, how fucking awesome would that be?! And if they made it VR-capable too, like the paltry demo X-Wing mission you get in SW:BF? But still able to be enjoyed on a regular LCD too. (or multiples of them, if available...heh) Why hasn't this already been greenlit, EA'd and kicked out the door?! C'mon, Bioware, get with the program! Go tell that hack Chris Roberts that while he may be a good kisser, he still can't design a worthy triple-A game to save his fucking life (or the lives of his employees for that matter, from the looks of it!)

Goddamn, now I gotta go load up X-Wing Alliance or Tie Fighter...oooh! Maybe I'll go play some Rogue Squadron 2 on Dolphin! *runs off*

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

52. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 18:50 Drayth

Yes please, space battles. The descriptions of ship battles in the old ME codex's were freaking awesome.

This is a series that could really use the equivalent of FF Tactics, only the tactics involves ship-to-ship combat.

51. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 18:33 Fion

Yea the one thing that bugs me is all the races are the same. All these people from various races of the Milky Way hop a big ass ship based on the design of the Citadel and this new galaxy - bigger than our own - has no new races?

Oh my mistake, a simple google search reveals there's one new race. Unless the others are like super secret.

Also this story is no longer about earth, so why cant I play a different species than human this time?

The combat seems.. ok. I see a bit of 'push a button & something cool happens' syndrome going on. I get it, ME is like 70% shooter but I'd much rather see improved tactical combat.

I'm still looking forward to the game, I hope it improves significantly over the failings of the original (especially ME3 which was weak all around for the most part). Also can we get some fucking space battles that aren't a 20 minute movie this time? PLEASE?!

50. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 18:22 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 16:46:
There are, by reports, like 12+ full planets you can investigate and several small outpost like sections, so where that's concerned it should be fine. Also, ME1 had just as much combat as ME2/3, it was just shitty combat versus decent combat, so eh.

Wait for reviews. I'm planning on getting it day one, so I will post a review a few days later.

The real question is, did they just DA:I this game? I saw a lot of "collect resources and upgrade your stuffs!" bullshit in the previous trailers. What do you think of this game so far?

Is that called DA:I'ing a game? Tons of games have that stuff and people like to craft... so you gather to craft, no?

49. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 18:13 Squirmer

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

So Bioware employees are encouraged to spend their holiday break doing work to beta test the game. Cool.

48. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 17:54 Verno

I clicked on this hesitantly, expecting this thread to be 40 posts of bitching about the ME3 ending. Now I wish it was that hahaha.

Anyway I have no idea what to make of this game. On one hand they've made some changes I like and on the other there are some weird decisions with race choices and the overall shared universe.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

47. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 17:11 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 16:39:
Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 12:12:
Dude, since those so-called racial/homophobic comments have been moderated (what, removed or whatever you mean?), there's really no knowing what it is I said.

Show me one of these comments where I'm such a racist, Islamophobe (guess that's what you're getting at with "cultural"?) or homophobe. 100% certain it's yourself who reads racist, Islamophobic or homophobic shit into it.

Yeah I'm going to waste time on what is readily apparent, even in this thread. Go on blaming everyone else for your prejudices, maybe one day you'll even convince yourself.

You've trapped yourself and you know it. Time and time again with that endless, bullshit crusade of yours.

Jivaro wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 16:01:
No, you are homophobes if you think the act of including a gay person in a fictional story is a moral lesson.

Not to me, but it's certainly in there to make a point whether you need it or not. Unless, of course, you believe that there are no homophobes in the world. But that'd make you kinda insane considering the good fight you think you're fighting here.

Anyway it's obvious a small handful of you guys have made up your mind: people who aren't particularly appreciative of unsubtle "moral lessons" (or whatever you wanna call it) in entertainment are fascists/racists/[insert label]. It's an absolute conversation stopper. You're either with or against you people.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

46. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 16:46 Redmask

45. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 16:39 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 12:12:
Dude, since those so-called racial/homophobic comments have been moderated (what, removed or whatever you mean?), there's really no knowing what it is I said.

Show me one of these comments where I'm such a racist, Islamophobe (guess that's what you're getting at with "cultural"?) or homophobe. 100% certain it's yourself who reads racist, Islamophobic or homophobic shit into it.

Yeah I'm going to waste time on what is readily apparent, even in this thread. Go on blaming everyone else for your prejudices, maybe one day you'll even convince yourself.

No, you are homophobes if you think the act of including a gay person in a fictional story is a moral lesson.

You don't get it, its being forced on him. He had no choice but to fuck the gay character!

44. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 16:25 The Half Elf

Token gay guy says:

STFU and move on to less important things in the universe. (Which is an unintended pun cause of ya know... Andromeda heh)

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

43. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 16:01 Jivaro

42. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 15:40 Quinn

Slick wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 14:53:
I think the whole argument this thread has turned into stems from what one person referred to as "forced".

At no point were you "forced" to be gay in that game. You were "forced" to see that gay characters exist in the same universe that you do, and that's about it. So yes, the arguments made against this are correct, it's homophobic. If you think that being "forced" to exist in a game at the same time that gay characters are present, that's homophobic. Different strokes folks, if you haven't gotten the memo by now, you're pretty far behind. This kind of thinking is akin to the white supremacists who want a white ethno-state in America. They actually say stuff like "I respect black people, they're aware of their history, and their culture, we want the same for white people. We also want a place of our own, like the jews have in Israel." It almost seems benign on the surface, until you think about it for 5 seconds. Ideally wanting to share your town, country, planet only with people of a racial or sexual identity that you're "okay" with is fascism.

And here we have another one who exaggerates and misrepresents + thinks (with fucking insane bravado) that he knows EXACTLY what someone else believes, thinks and feels based on one tiny fucking thing that got the little guy triggered. Starting to see the pattern yet folks? We aren't just people who believe that moral lessons in entertainment should be subtle and good instead of in your face all the time and half-assed. Oh no, we are white-supremacist fascists. Oh, and homophobes.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

41. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 14:58 Slick

"On one hand but not the other" argument reminds me of the Cindy in FFXV thing that many people also complained about. She's obvious fan service for people who find sexy women attractive. My wife said that she thought the game was trying to tell her that "this game isn't for me". That it's obviously for straight men. "Or gay women" I pointed out. a 2 hour conversation later.....

Anyways, the point is that there's nothing wrong with Cindy, she's a bit of sex for the people who like that. It shouldn't take anything away from people who don't particularly like that. The bar for entry for any piece of media is "I have to like absolutely everything in this book". That's dumb, and if that rule was observed, most books would be bland, lowest-common-denominator tripe.

Same thing with a gay character in a story, it doesn't take anything away. Even if he's in assless-chaps and prancing around on his way to the steamroom. Who gives a shit, it's a character in a story. Maybe it wasn't written-in "for you", but fuck you! You're not the only one reading this story! You share the world with other people.

sigh... without going on a rant, I think that there should be more fan service to straight women in general in games, so they'll stop complaining about the fan service to straight men. The solution isn't to take away the fan service to men because it offends your delicate sensibilities, that'd be going backwards.

This is totally disregarding the fact that in FFXV, you're following a 4-man band of bros wearing tight leather running away from you with their taught asses waggling back and forth for 100 hours. NOPE! that doesn't count though, cause Cindy is a vixen that has about 10 minutes total screen time. GRRRRR.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

40. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 14:53 Slick

I think the whole argument this thread has turned into stems from what one person referred to as "forced".

At no point were you "forced" to be gay in that game. You were "forced" to see that gay characters exist in the same universe that you do, and that's about it. So yes, the arguments made against this are correct, it's homophobic. If you think that being "forced" to exist in a game at the same time that gay characters are present, that's homophobic. Different strokes folks, if you haven't gotten the memo by now, you're pretty far behind. This kind of thinking is akin to the white supremacists who want a white ethno-state in America. They actually say stuff like "I respect black people, they're aware of their history, and their culture, we want the same for white people. We also want a place of our own, like the jews have in Israel." It almost seems benign on the surface, until you think about it for 5 seconds. Ideally wanting to share your town, country, planet only with people of a racial or sexual identity that you're "okay" with is fascism.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

39. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 14:52 HorrorScope

Sho wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 01:22:
Feeling sad for people who can't enjoy games I guess.

+1

38. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 14:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:59:

frankly it would be super difficult to include "realistic" romantic scenarios without making it the primary focus of the game considering all the hyper-nuanced bullshit that goes into real life relationships

Jaheira is probably one of the best "realistic romance" characters that's ever been done. It can be done, but it's easier to write flat characters that exist to pander. You can see that with DA2's romance garbage, especially the person who was the lead writer for them. They didn't believe in depth, just cheap garbage with no depth.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo