Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Firewatch Sells 1M

Campo Santo tweets about the continued success of Firewatch, their first-person exploration game (thanks GameInformer). Here's word:
Sometime late last year we sold our one millionth copy of Firewatch. Thank you all so much!
View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 5, 2017, 17:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I'll add this to the Steam/Humble/Gog(if it ever gets to Gog) list. I debated buying it this past Steam sale, but passed on it.

It looked interesting, but not more than $9.99 interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 5, 2017, 01:01 BIGtrouble77

Leper wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:38:
Sorry, but it's definitely a game. The gameplay consists of finding your way to objectives using the map, deciding what dialogue options your character speaks, and enjoying the story, scenery, sounds, dialogue and atmosphere. Maybe not the most exciting game, but then neither was Myst. It sounds like you enjoyed it in your own way as well and it didn't cost you anything, so I don't know what's to complain about. What is the price exactly? I think I paid less for my lunch today.
(I looked it up and it's currently at $12).

Couldn't disagree more. You cannot affect the outcome, you are just walking through a predetermined story- there's no finding your way. Yes, you interact with some things, but it's completely linear and require zero problem solving. There are some different dialog choices, but it has almost no effect on the story. The "game" is also loaded with invisible walls, so there's absolutely no way to go explore and possibly "loose" because you miss important events, stumble on something bad or some other kind of x-factor.

This is a walking simulator that has an ok story around it. I would have bought it for the full price when it came out if it was longer and there was some kind of game mechanic in it. I can think of a few that would make this very compelling. I feel like the devs were very creative and passionate, but forgot to actually insert a game anywhere.

All that said, I thought the ending was great, which it was heavily criticized for. I don't want to spoil it, but I thought it was a really great psychological experiment. But none of that makes this a game.

9. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 22:32 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 18:26:
Gratz on their success, good to see a small team of experienced developers moving away from publishers.

It's more of a story/walking simulator to me, the choices don't mean much at all and has a poor ending. It's an interesting story, if your into that sort of thing. There's no real need to ever play it again, once you know what's going on. It's not like you can improve on your game experience.

The biggest Independent developer surprise hit, for me was Survivalist. Even though it's two years old, it was new to me and couldn't stop playing it. Lighter

It came along for me as I was ending a 3 year stretch where I was caring for someone with Alzheimer's and it really moved me. Very well written I felt.

That being said, playing it a second time for the audio commentary is great, and they opened it up to just explore around in too and take scenery photos.

It makes me want to have like a backpacking/rock climbing/spelunking/hang gliding/orienteering game that takes place in a world about the size of Skyrim if not bigger and is just flat out exploration and wandering. In my mind I call it "Range".

8. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 20:56 Mordecai Walfish

Acleacius wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 18:26:
Gratz on their success, good to see a small team of experienced developers moving away from publishers.

It's more of a story/walking simulator to me, the choices don't mean much at all and has a poor ending. It's an interesting story, if your into that sort of thing. There's no real need to ever play it again, once you know what's going on. It's not like you can improve on your game experience.

The biggest Independent developer surprise hit, for me was Survivalist. Even though it's two years old, it was new to me and couldn't stop playing it. Lighter

For me that game was Subnautica. Absolutely beautiful world crafted by their devs and I was thrilled to see them make the Steam top 100 Silver category for 2016 as an independent game studio, especially with the game being such a dramatic departure from their previous game (Natural Selection 2)

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2017, 23:07.

7. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 18:26 Acleacius

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 18:25 xXStellarDadXx

Leper wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:38:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 16:09:
I watched a youtube series on this game- and calling it a game is a stretch. The guy broke it up into 6, 30 minute parts. We all chatted about it and had a cool little community around the series.

That said, I think I got more out of the game enjoying it that way than actually playing it. I would buy it for $5, but no more... I really don't want to support 3 hour experiences with virtually no gameplay. As good as the story is, Firewatch is shallow and empty and most definitely not worth the price. The only way I think I could buy it is if it had a good VR experience and I actually owned a VR headset.

Sorry, but it's definitely a game. The gameplay consists of finding your way to objectives using the map, deciding what dialogue options your character speaks, and enjoying the story, scenery, sounds, dialogue and atmosphere. Maybe not the most exciting game, but then neither was Myst. It sounds like you enjoyed it in your own way as well and it didn't cost you anything, so I don't know what's to complain about. What is the price exactly? I think I paid less for my lunch today.

I enjoyed game as well..

I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

5. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 17:38 Leper

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 16:09:
I watched a youtube series on this game- and calling it a game is a stretch. The guy broke it up into 6, 30 minute parts. We all chatted about it and had a cool little community around the series.

That said, I think I got more out of the game enjoying it that way than actually playing it. I would buy it for $5, but no more... I really don't want to support 3 hour experiences with virtually no gameplay. As good as the story is, Firewatch is shallow and empty and most definitely not worth the price. The only way I think I could buy it is if it had a good VR experience and I actually owned a VR headset.

4. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 16:09 BIGtrouble77

3. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 14:08 Bundy

I enjoyed this game. If you're a fan though, don't watch that video where the dev showed a 3rd person view of Henry in the unity editor. Ruined my whole mental image.  

2. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 14:02 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:51:
It's good to see some devs still be excited about selling a million copies.

Most of the dickwit publishers nowadays just grumble and frown when a game sells 6+ million.

Well, budgets, too. I'm sure Firewatch was a lot cheaper, comparatively.

I picked up a copy on ps4 for cheap over the holidays, so I did my part.

1. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 13:51 Creston

It's good to see some devs still be excited about selling a million copies.

Most of the dickwit publishers nowadays just grumble and frown when a game sells 6+ million.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >