Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 6, 2017, 09:22 Verno

I find it ironic that smart meters have all sorts of protection against physical tampering but can be remotely flashed without any authentication via a plain text protocol. Fucking LOL. I should look into this more, I would love to pay less on my power bill.  
Playing: Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, Abzu, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Life in Pieces, Arrival, Taboo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 14:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 09:44:

3) The concern becomes that the party decided to release the hack from only one side, which caused churn, because somehow people felt the DNC hacks were a scandal even though the emails basically revealed what many of us already assumed was going on

It wasn't so much the content of the DNC emails that was the problem, it was the headlines it generated. As many of our own esteemed members demonstrate every day, actually reading an article and carefully weighing its contents is very, very different from a glanced-at headline reinforcing your own preconceptions. Most people do not actually read articles: they glance at a headline and say "yup, I was right all along"; again, see basically every comment thread ever, on Bluesnews or otherwise. If you were a Republican-leaning voter who disliked both Trump and Clinton, but were trying to find some rationalization for rolling the dice on Trump, seeing "Clinton - Emails - Investigation - DNC - Suspicion" in your Facebook feed during the last two weeks of the election would be far more decisive in forming that rationalization than the actual contents of any of those headlined articles.

47. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 descender

Jesus christ... can you take like 30 seconds to try to follow your own conversation?

Varan: They shouldn't be focusing on Russia inofluencing the election because it was so close
RedEye: It was not close
Varan: Give it a rest, change the electoral college, you had your chance
Me: You can't change the electoral college because... reasons
Varan: None of this matters Trump won anyway
Me: Then stop using it as a reason if it doesn't matter

Please stop talking us in circles.

46. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 11:33 VaranDragon

descender wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:19:
If its besides the point, then stop using it to make your point.

Wait, what? Are you obfuscating? On purpose? On a gaming forum? Jesus...

45. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 11:19 descender

If its besides the point, then stop using it to make your point.  

44. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 11:16 VaranDragon

That's all beside the point anyway. Trump won the presidency, according to the rules of the game. As fucked up as they are, they are still the rules right? So we can whine about em on the internet, we can blame Russia for interfering, we can cry about the Democratic party choosing the wrong candidate, none of it won't change a thing. All I'm saying is that the CIA is hugely incompetent, as they have proven time and time again (I don't for a second believe the conspiracy theory) and the US and very possibly the World are going to suffer as a result, again!  

43. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 10:56 descender

Varan, do you know what the process is for abolishing the electoral college? It requires 3/4 of the states to approve it. How does one convince (mostly red) states who are being over-represented in the electoral process to give up that power?

Congress has actually tried to change the electoral college over 700 times since it's inception.

There is no reason to wash away the fact that 3 million more people voted for Hillary. We all know the electoral college sucks, but implying the election was "close" is just dishonest.

42. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 10:43 VaranDragon

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:18:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:06:
I agree it probably was Russia. Or hackers affiliated with Russian interests or whatever. That's not the issue, the issue is them publicly saying "IT WAS DEFINITIVELY RUSSIA", and even worse, focusing on the electoral issue because the margin of victory was so narrow.
It was not narrow, HRC had almost 3 million more American votes.

Give it a rest man, everyone knows that the electoral system sucks. Then change it for fucks sake! You had ample time, and good reason, remember how Al Gore lost to Bush? Remember Florida? Look how great the World turned out as a result of that? Did the US change its electoral process? Nope.

41. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 10:18 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 10:06:
I agree it probably was Russia. Or hackers affiliated with Russian interests or whatever. That's not the issue, the issue is them publicly saying "IT WAS DEFINITIVELY RUSSIA", and even worse, focusing on the electoral issue because the margin of victory was so narrow.
It was not narrow, HRC had almost 3 million more American votes.

40. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 10:06 VaranDragon

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 09:44:
4) The whole Russia thing is annoying primarily because we've had multiple sources say "we're confident Russia did it" and other people go "NANANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" with absolutely no evidence against it. The best evidence is consistently someone politically connected to Russia going "of course they didn't do it!" This doesn't I think Russia deserves retaliation or war, or even that I'm convinced they did it, but it's so weird to see the CIA, the NSA, and security experts outside the government go "this was Russia" and people respond "well, Julian Assange has never lied to us, and I don't know how he would know with complete confidence but I trust him endlessly!"

I agree it probably was Russia. Or hackers affiliated with Russian interests or whatever. That's not the issue, the issue is them publicly saying "IT WAS DEFINITIVELY RUSSIA", and even worse, focusing on the electoral issue because the margin of victory was so narrow. Basically you have a non political entity, in this case the CIA, claiming that the next president of the United States was elected as a direct result of outside interference. That's not fixing the problem! That's pouring napalm on an open flame!!

This whole "scandal" makes the CIA look incompetent at best, and openly hostile to its next Commander in Chief at worst. It makes Trump look like even more of a boogeyman, and lets face it it's not like most of the world media is not already doing just that day in day out, and its deepening the huge political divide that's already taken root in the US.

Hell, the only ones that come out of this smelling of roses are ironically the Russians. If I was a conspiracy minded person, I would probably think that the whole thing was a setup, directed from Moscow, and setup just right so the breadcrumbs fall in place just like that....

39. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 09:44 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 07:46:
Rilcon wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:19:
1. Why do people now trust the likes of the CIA or NSA?

2. Who even cares who "hacked" (very strong word for falling for a phishing attack...) the emails? It wasn't the russians writing those things, and the writers aren't disputing their veracity. If someone hacked your SO's phone and only showed you proof they were fooling with somone else, who would you be mad at?

Finally some common sense in the thread, without resorting to conjecture or blaming the "other" party. Seriously, Trump may turn out to be the worst president in the history of the United States, but organizations like the CIA airing their OWN DIRTY LAUNDRY in public should be raising some eyebrows, they have their own fucking agenda, which is why this information is public. A real intelligence agency that actually cares about its nation's security would never make something as sensitive as this public.

My basic views:

1) There was absolutely nothing scandalous in the DNC hacks. It feels like everything that came out was either common sense or completely made up in the minds of morons (see: pizzagate)

2) The GOP was almost definitely also hacked

3) The concern becomes that the party decided to release the hack from only one side, which caused churn, because somehow people felt the DNC hacks were a scandal even though the emails basically revealed what many of us already assumed was going on

4) The whole Russia thing is annoying primarily because we've had multiple sources say "we're confident Russia did it" and other people go "NANANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" with absolutely no evidence against it. The best evidence is consistently someone politically connected to Russia going "of course they didn't do it!" This doesn't I think Russia deserves retaliation or war, or even that I'm convinced they did it, but it's so weird to see the CIA, the NSA, and security experts outside the government go "this was Russia" and people respond "well, Julian Assange has never lied to us, and I don't know how he would know with complete confidence but I trust him endlessly!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 09:31 Redmask

descender wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:28:
People have always trusted the intelligence communities, it only seems to be now that they are saying things you don't like that their credibility comes into question

I hope this wasn't said with a straight face. Yeah the NSA and CIA have given us no cause for concern before Rolleyes

The fact that this stuff is being used as political theater should already have started ringing alarm bells in your head.

37. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 07:46 VaranDragon

Rilcon wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:19:
1. Why do people now trust the likes of the CIA or NSA?

2. Who even cares who "hacked" (very strong word for falling for a phishing attack...) the emails? It wasn't the russians writing those things, and the writers aren't disputing their veracity. If someone hacked your SO's phone and only showed you proof they were fooling with somone else, who would you be mad at?

Finally some common sense in the thread, without resorting to conjecture or blaming the "other" party. Seriously, Trump may turn out to be the worst president in the history of the United States, but organizations like the CIA airing their OWN DIRTY LAUNDRY in public should be raising some eyebrows, they have their own fucking agenda, which is why this information is public. A real intelligence agency that actually cares about its nation's security would never make something as sensitive as this public.

36. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 5, 2017, 02:32 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 16:11:
descender wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 16:00:
oh, those same intelligence experts that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction? Those experts?

Have you ever actually bothered to read that report? They didn't say he had weapons, they said he was trying to obtain them.

Please, don't let facts get in the way of your lifetime of accumulated stupidity.

Yeah, and Colin Powell never went before the UN with make-believe pictures of semi truck trailers being used to manufacture chemical weapons. That sure was some intelligence expert reporting everyone could get behind right?

Or how about that time during the first gulf war when they propped up that #fakenews story about babies being thrown out of incubators?

Those were good times, back before bullshit stories couldn't be exposed and they had control over people through an endless barrage of propaganda through corporate lame-stream media.

Hillary didn't win so it must be Russian hackers! No assholes, she lost because people voted for Trump.

Jesus fuck, dude. The Bush administration lied their asses off about what the intelligence community was telling them because they wanted to start a(nother) war.

The intelligence agencies didn't say he had WMDs. You're just fucking ignorant.

The same assholes complaining about Obama being weak on Russia were attacking Hillary saying she wanted to start a war. It was all political bullshit.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

35. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 20:40 Dacote

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:10:
Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 19:32:
Rilcon wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 19:11:
Can you source to where wikileaks made those claims? I believe there's a difference between them publishing an email as-is and a third party like Alex Jones taking it well out of context and warping it into absurdity.

Twitter
OMFG ROFLCOPTR

Still their official communication
sad

34. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 20:33 SlimRam

Here's how I see it:

Everyone lies.

No one is real.

Money is God.

See, easy.

33. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 20:27 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:10:
Can you source to where wikileaks made those claims? I believe there's a difference between them publishing an email as-is and a third party like Alex Jones taking it well out of context and warping it into absurdity.

Twitter
OMFG ROFLCOPTR

Still their official communication

-------------

32. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 20:10 RedEye9

Twitter
OMFG ROFLCOPTR

31. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 19:32 Beamer

Twitter

-------------

30. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 19:27 Agent-Zero

descender wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 17:28:
People have always trusted the intelligence communities,

LOL what the fuck are you smoking?