Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Award Winners

May I have the envelope please! Valve announces the winners of their first-ever Steam Awards. Their FAQ explains all the benefits this bestows as, "Eternal fame as winner of the first ever Steam Awards!" Here are the winners:

• "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Won by Portal 2
  • "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Won by Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • "Test of Time" Won by The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • "Just 5 More Minutes" Won by Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Won by Grand Theft Auto V
  • "Game Within A Game" Won by Grand Theft Auto V
  • "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Won by The Walking Dead
  • "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Won by Goat Simulator
  • "Boom Boom" Won by DOOM
  • "Love/Hate Relationship" Won by DARK SOULS III
  • "Sit Back and Relax" Won by Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • "Better With Friends" Won by Left 4 Dead 2

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 2, 2017, 00:16 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 23:45:
You guys must have some iron man like nerves, the AI drivers in ETS2 drive me insane But then I realize I would also be a horribly potty mouthed truck driver in reality. ^^

I think the AI in ATS is much better. The drivers act like real west-coast drivers... that is to say they drive like maniacs.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 23:45 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 18:04:
Quboid wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 12:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 02:26:
Also ETS 2 under sit back and relax? WTF? Nobody who voted that ever did a long distance delivery with traffic on.

I think I voted for ETS2 there, I think it's very relaxing. Granted, I was never too bothered about the occasional crash or speeding ticket.

I was going to vote for ETS2 too, but I think ATS is a much better game. Nothing more relaxing than driving in Nevada with some country music playing.

You guys must have some iron man like nerves, the AI drivers in ETS2 drive me insane But then I realize I would also be a horribly potty mouthed truck driver in reality. ^^

32. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 18:04 Kxmode

Quboid wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 12:48:
Also ETS 2 under sit back and relax? WTF? Nobody who voted that ever did a long distance delivery with traffic on.

I think I voted for ETS2 there, I think it's very relaxing. Granted, I was never too bothered about the occasional crash or speeding ticket.

I was going to vote for ETS2 too, but I think ATS is a much better game. Nothing more relaxing than driving in Nevada with some country music playing.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

31. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 13:16 Pigeon

Jivaro wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 11:24:
I don't pretend to understand the tastes of people 20-30 years younger than me, nor am I angry about the differences. I am not even sure that it's just the young people that have game preferences so seemingly alien to me. There are quite a few types of video games that have never appealed to me that are very popular today.

That said, I do question using the phrase "just five more minutes" for a game that isn't a a turn-based game. I feel like a multiplayer FPS should be "But Mom...I can't pause!"

edited: spelling, sentence structure, alcohol related hangover. not necessarily in that order.

I understand the just 5 more minutes thing for a multiplayer FPS, but there is no time waster like a turned based strategy game. By its very nature you should be able to easily stop and pick right back up where you started, but you just can't not click that turn button. The only time I obliviously wasted a whole day playing a game was a turn based 4x. 'Why is it still dark out surely the sun has come up by now... oh it's night now'.

30. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 12:48 Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

29. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 11:24 Jivaro

I don't pretend to understand the tastes of people 20-30 years younger than me, nor am I angry about the differences. I am not even sure that it's just the young people that have game preferences so seemingly alien to me. There are quite a few types of video games that have never appealed to me that are very popular today.

That said, I do question using the phrase "just five more minutes" for a game that isn't a a turn-based game. I feel like a multiplayer FPS should be "But Mom...I can't pause!"

edited: spelling, sentence structure, alcohol related hangover. not necessarily in that order.

28. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 05:48 Jerykk

yonder wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 22:59:
I fully understand that people do, but I don't, and millions hate it as much as I do. CS is a very divisive game for one that's as popular as it is.

"Millions" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I imagine many people haven't played CS (primarily console gamers) and simply don't care about it. Or they tried it once and weren't really hooked. That's not quite the same as hate. The general gaming populace isn't really that passionate about games.

27. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 04:06 heroin

"Valve releases games that are very popular and more importantly, very well-known. It's no surprise that they'd gain the majority of votes in multiple categories."

You mean Valve *used* to release games....

26. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 02:26 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:53:
How does Witcher 3 not win Game Within A Game? I mean we're comparing tennis & golf mini-games with GWENT!

Look at the games that won, and despair. For that is the current generation of gamers. Also ETS 2 under sit back and relax? WTF? Nobody who voted that ever did a long distance delivery with traffic on.

25. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 01:10 born2expire

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 16:31:
LAME and fabricated. I mean it's obvious that the fuckers from Valve fixed the results in order to sneak in a couple of their own garbage casual shit games like CSGO, L4D2 and Portal 2. Just like they do it with the Steam top 10 every week. I'm sure that they just put CSGO in there for advertising purposes.

Yeah CSGO is a casual shit game, OK. CSGO is the second largest game, period. Just cuz you don't play doesn't mean 9 million poeple a month don't.

24. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 00:44 Jerykk

Blackhawk wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:06:
It is interesting that, out of all of the votes, not one game older than six years ended up winning a nomination, unless they happened to be made by Valve.

In other words, every candidate that won the 'vote' was something Valve could still make money off of by extra exposure.

Do you honestly believe that these nominees were rigged by Valve? It may be hard to believe but people really like Valve's games. CS:GO generally has the highest or second highest (behind DotA2) concurrent player count on Steam. Portal 2 heavily features GLaDOS, who is easily the most popular and recognizable antagonist of any game made within the past 20 years. Left 4 Dead 2 is one of the most popular co-op games of all time (it has sold over 15 million copies on PC alone) and is far more recognizable than any of the other nominees.

Valve releases games that are very popular and more importantly, very well-known. It's no surprise that they'd gain the majority of votes in multiple categories.

23. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 00:36 Kxmode

These awards don't invalid the games we feel are the best. All it means is these are the games that received the most votes.  

22. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 23:45 NewMaxx

Here's my way of thinking:

"Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" - really, I could argue for either Far Cry 4 (do the secret ending) or Borderlands (Jack was originally trying to be a hero - as we see in The Pre-Sequel) over Portal 2.
"Test of Time" - I don't consider Skyrim old enough to really qualify for this award; something like Deus Ex deserves a nomination and a win FAR more.
"Just 5 More Minutes" - anything but CS, holy hell. I chose Fallout 4 since Civ VI is still too new.
"Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" - Eh, plenty of games I'd put here before GTA V.
"Game Within A Game" - GTA V winning is fine, but Gwent actually is becoming its own game, so...
"I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" - plenty of solid choices for this one. I could go with either TWD (Season 1 especially) or Life is Strange.

21. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 23:29 Prez

Frijoles wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:48:
I don't think I voted the same for any of these. I'm out of touch with today's gamer, I guess.

Same. Not a single game I voted for won. Oh well, at least I got the trading cards.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 22:59 yonder

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:56:
yonder wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 19:53:
"Just 5 more minutes" is a way of saying "Just one more turn" and there's no way CS deserves it.

Have you ever played Counter-Strike? It's literally composed of short rounds under 5 minutes each, and it's very addicting. Tons of people who play are thinking "oh, just one more round/match/map."

I have, and I despise the game for a variety of reasons, and I've never felt anything remotely close to an urge to play again.

I fully understand that people do, but I don't, and millions hate it as much as I do. CS is a very divisive game for one that's as popular as it is.

19. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 20:56 jacobvandy

yonder wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 19:53:
"Just 5 more minutes" is a way of saying "Just one more turn" and there's no way CS deserves it.

Have you ever played Counter-Strike? It's literally composed of short rounds under 5 minutes each, and it's very addicting. Tons of people who play are thinking "oh, just one more round/match/map."

18. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 20:31 yonder

Blackhawk wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:06:
It is interesting that, out of all of the votes, not one game older than six years ended up winning a nomination, unless they happened to be made by Valve.

In other words, every candidate that won the 'vote' was something Valve could still make money off of by extra exposure.

Well it *IS* the "Steam" Awards, so I don't see how that's terribly... interesting.

Most Awards lists have eligibility requirements.

17. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 20:06 Blackhawk

16. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 19:53 yonder

Yeah but we're fine w/ GTA5's awards. Let's not pretend that "Whooooaaaaaaa, dude!" is a pretegious category, and GT games are CHOCK FULL of minigames, so the other award is obviously fine.

Some of these awards are bad. CS is obviously the worst. But most are either decent or spot on, with "Not Crying" by TWD as the best.

And yes, it's a popularity contest... and thus it's stupid... cuz gamers are stupid.

15. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 16:35 Jerykk

You guys do realize that this is a popularity contest and that CS:GO is one of the (and often the most) popular games on Steam? You may dislike CS:GO but statistically, you'd be in the minority. Notice that GTA V won two awards as well. Popularity contest.  

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo