Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy New Year's Eve! Remember to play safe if you are heading out to celebrate tonight, as there will be a lot of amateur drinkers out there possibly driving (please don't be one of them). And as always, for those in areas where it's already 2017, please don't tell us what the future holds or we may alter the timeline. We're just hunkering down in the BlueTower tonight for a quiet evening. If I was going to head out today, it would be for one last sandwich from the Carnegie Deli, which will be closed for good tomorrow *sniff* (thanks Neutronbeam), but at least we got there recently for one last visit.

One more note for the new year: There will be some scheduled maintenance on the server here tomorrow, which will result in downtime. This will hopefully be routine, and if things go smoothly you probably won't notice. But there's always the possibility that there will be complications, so apologies in advance if the site is inaccessible at points tomorrow. Here's a hearty thank you to Frans for taking care of these technical things so well. It should be noted that nearly two years of uninterrupted uptime will be broken when the server is taken offline for maintenance, which is impressive, especially considering the points in the site's history when 24 hours without a server crash was a rare accomplishment.

R.I.P.: Allan Williams, the Beatles' first manager, dies. Thanks nin.
R.I.P.: Tyrus Wong, ‘Bambi’ Artist Thwarted by Racial Bias, Dies at 106.

Eve of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Shadow Realms Arcade.
Stories: Comet to zip across night sky on New Year's Eve.
Costner Wants To Direct A 10-Hour Western. So shorter than Dances with Wolves?
Science: Low Iron Levels May Be Linked to Hearing Loss.
A chemical imbalance in the brain could be causing people to exercise less, study finds.
Media: Adam Ruins Millennials.
11 year old uses saved birthday money for Dad's Xmas Present.
Amazon Alexa Gone Wild.
Follow-up: More Time Spent On Final "Thrones" Episodes.
Stars We Lost In 2016.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 18:33 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 14:16:
Frans wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 03:01:
Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 17:11:
EDIT: Oh! Also, maybe some more time to EDIT a post before it says on the bottom that it's been edited?
I've doubled the window to 10 minutes.

Also maybe an option to disable the extra 'Post has been edited' step after editing a post (duh!). So we hit 'Edit' and it goes right back to the thread with our newly edited post. That would save some time.
Given how the board code handles form submissions, it's not possible (or at easy to see how) to make an exception just there.

Thanks Frans. I've always felt 5m was a bit short.

Indeed, much thanks, Frans! We will endevour to endure this creeky old site for as long as it carries us...or something like that.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 14:16 jdreyer

EDIT: Oh! Also, maybe some more time to EDIT a post before it says on the bottom that it's been edited?

Also maybe an option to disable the extra 'Post has been edited' step after editing a post (duh!). So we hit 'Edit' and it goes right back to the thread with our newly edited post. That would save some time.
Given how the board code handles form submissions, it's not possible (or at easy to see how) to make an exception just there.

Thanks Frans. I've always felt 5m was a bit short.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 12:29 nin

On behalf of sleepy posters everywhere (and those of us that just flat out can't spell) thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 03:01  Frans 

-- Frans

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 19:05 RedEye9

Jivaro wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 17:17:
Wow Red! Thanks for the info and the links...I will start reading through it now.
It's not like I really gave you much. Do you disconnect the external drives the proper way, I would go ahead and run check disk on them. everydays ootb is a good way to post progress.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

49. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 18:09 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 12:46:
NVRMND AGAIN, you tried another drive, I WILL LEARN TO READ IN 2017

Me too.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 17:17 Jivaro

Wow Red! Thanks for the info and the links...I will start reading through it now.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 16:44 ForgedReality

Re: 11 year old

Oh good. Dad paid for his own gift. >=/ Kids are the worst.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 13:11 RedEye9

The drive disappearing from windows is a different ball of wax.

Have you tried different USB ports and USB cables. Try the USB ports on the motherboard, not the ports on the case.

A specific hot fix that probably does not apply https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976972

Good luck, hopefully someone else will have some knowledge to share on your issue.

EDIT just more stuff to read

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2017, 13:19.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:46 RedEye9

I would do a chkdsk on the drive and also look at it's smart data.
I use CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.5 for a quick and dirty way to see if smart is ok, BUT it is no substitute for the manufacturers hdd check tool.
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
NVRMND AGAIN, you tried another drive, I WILL LEARN TO READ IN 2017

I'm sure you googled the question and have looked through various forums, sounds like a horrible way to spend the new years.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:41 Jivaro

that was my first guess Red, sorry for not including that in the original post. I have edited it to include it now. Its NTFS. Thanks for reading and responding though.  

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:40 RedEye9

nvmnd  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 12:36 Jivaro

Interesting tech issue today..thought I would lay it out in case someone knows a quick fix that has flown over my head...

I use an external drive enclosure, USB 3.0, for a couple of older drives. One of the drives is 1.0TB, WD, and has Origin and U-Play as well as their games on it. It's a temporary situation so advice that it needs to be changed for speed or whatever is redundant and not needed. I am well aware its not a good long term solution.

What has boggled my mind though is an apparent glitch in Uplay and Origin specifically. When they go to download something it inevitably fails during download if the resulting files will be 4GB or larger. That's right, the download itself can be smaller than 4gb but if the patching process will end up taking up more than 4gb of storage...it crashes. I mean, the whole drive disappears from Windows completely. This is made even more confusing by the fact that Battle.net and GOG, which are also installed on the drive, don't have the same problem. They can download whatever they want with no problems. (edit: yes, it's formatted in NTFS and no, there are no other partitions)

I know the quick answer is "Origin and Uplay suck". I was wondering if someone could give me the reason as to why this is. Previous to this I had zero reason to care as to which service was being used because I had never had a glitch anywhere near as puzzling as this. That said, my tech knowledge has always been "hobbyist" level as opposed to "technician" level. What am I missing?

Edit: yes, I tried another drive...same problem with the same services

41. removed Jan 1, 2017, 11:09 Agent-Zero

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 1, 2017, 12:52.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 10:41  Frans 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 00:40:
Frans wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:57:
Just an OS upgrade, so don't hold your breath.
Windows XP? Awesome!
How'd you guess? I know it was a pretty big leap from DOS 6.1, but it seems to have worked out well enough. I should have done this a decade ago.

As for any new features or other visible changes, that's tricky if not downright hard, because the Blammo CMS and Chatbear-based forum code is so old and crufty. Making the site more mobile-friendly or disabling ads for members is difficult due to the lack of code and HTML separation (Furn and Bagpuss didn't do MVC in the 90's).

And building a new site using modern tech that looks, functions and feels like the current one is of course a huge undertaking. No contemporary CMS can do that out of the box either. So unless an experienced web programmer (which I'm not) steps forward to work on this (more or less) pro bono, or another really clever idea surfaces, I'm afraid little is going to change around here.

-- Frans

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 05:04 SlimRam

Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work. Strikethu doesn't work either, I don't think.

=-Rigs-=

I believe I just found a sub program...probably YEARS old that was running in the background of Blues page. It was a dirty exec. that was ONLY ran when Rigs signed in. I was able to decompile the code and it looked like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
string Rigs = "Rigs";
cout << "Please enter your name:\n>";
cin >> Rigs;
if (Rigs != "Rigs")
cout << "You did not enter Rigs.\n";
else
{
cout << "You cannot use underline or line through.\n";
}
return 0;
}

(please excuse my code, still teaching myself C++)

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2017, 06:21.

38. removed Jan 1, 2017, 01:13 SlimRam

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 1, 2017, 12:52.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 01:03 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 00:44:
loomy wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:07:
As for forum upgrades, I wish we could get some kind of upvote or 'like' or something. Or maybe something that shows how many times it's been viewed

don't do any of this

Agree! Upvote/downvote is not welcomed on this site.

Quboid wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 22:51:
A 'like' system, some way to agree with a post or thank a poster, would be nice. An acknowledgement, rather than a popularity contest.

Geez, ok, I get it, no upvoting...I was just throwing ideas out anyway, nothing concrete. At least I got you all sharing your opinion (even if it's what not to do). I was thinking more like Quboid, some kind of acknowledgment of your post by readers. Like number of 'views'.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 23:32:
I mentioned to Rigs last time he complained about this that it was his computer. The rest of us work fine.

Rigs, stop using IE v5.0

And just when did we have this supposed discussion? Besides shows how much you know, I've never used IE 5! I skipped it and went right to IE 6. The last time we had this discussion.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 23:25:
*JDreyer examines code. Finds something interesting.*

underline = TRUE;
If (username == "Rigs") underline = FALSE;

Happy New Year!

See! I'm a victim of circumstance!

Again, Happy New Year, ya'll...I'm goin' to kill some more Caco's and then go to bed! I have a feeling some people here are gonna be just a tad bit groggy in the morning...

=-Rigs-=

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 00:49 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 21:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:37:
Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:02:

Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work.

underlined

striked through

both

• fixed

• Just like I said, they don't work. And haven't for a while. Unless I'm blind and/or seeing alternate universe versions.
    It's working fine on my end with 3 different browsers (chrome, android chrome, ie and firefox), maybe it's time to clean your cache and cookies.

Wow SON OF A BITCH! You mean this whole time it worked (just not on my Chrome)?!

Well, ok, then disregard that! I guess it does work. Geez, I feel stupid, but I wonder why my Chrome install won't do it? This is what I see in Chrome. Clearing cookies and cache does nothing. It works in Firefox but I haven't used FF in a long time. I only fire it up when a site doesn't work well in Chrome. I never thought to check it out in FF too. That's really strange. Huh...

For the record the forum code for underline, strikethrough, bold, etc is rendering normal HTML code

<i>
    <blockquote>
    <b>Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 17:11:</b><br>
    <i><br>
    Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work. </i>
    </blockquote><br>
    <u>underlined</u><br><br>
    <strike>striked through</strike><br><br>
    <u><strike>both</strike></u><br><br>
    <b><li><font color="red">f</font><font color="green">i</font><font color="blue">x</font><font color="red">e</font><font color="green">d</font></li></b>
    </i>

That's HTML1 stuff and it should render on your browser.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 00:44 Kxmode

loomy wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:07:
    As for forum upgrades, I wish we could get some kind of upvote or 'like' or something. Or maybe something that shows how many times it's been viewed

don't do any of this

Agree! Upvote/downvote is not welcomed on this site.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo