Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Into the Black

R.I.P.: Vesna Vulović, survived 44 years after 33,000-foot fall.
View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 19:27 Rigs

So I stunned you all to silence, ja?

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 11:17 Rigs

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 10:30:
Rigs wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 04:50:
I'm tellin' ya, man...I hate to be that guy on the corner with the sign that says 'The End is Nigh!' but... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

wondering why you are saying "the end is nigh"? what makes you think this is so... its not necessarily that I disagree (or agree, for that matter), Im just wondering what are the indications that give you this impression

I was being semi-sarcastic...I had mentioned a few days ago, after Carrie Fisher's death that maybe the Rapture wasn't exactly instantaneous as was supposed, maybe it takes time and maybe people don't just disappear, they pass away, but earlier than they otherwise would have (or maybe it's part of a bigger plan that was put in motion long ago, who knows?). I have some rather curious ideas as to life and death...

Like, for instance, when I was young I was given the typical Christian life and death story with Heaven and Hell and all that. Then as I got older I started to believe that we had more than one life, when you died, you came back as someone else with no memory of the previous life. As I've gotten older, I've kinda fine tuned that theory. Now, I believe that, yes, we live multiple lives, but not in succession. No, I think we re-live the same life in the same time frame over and over again until we've learned all there is to learn and make the correct decisions that in past lives where we've made mistakes. But not all of us are on the same line, so to speak. Some of us are older souls, further along in the process. This manifests itself as people who seem to have a very high intellect, almost like they know what to do before they do it. People like Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, etc, other geniuses of their day that have slowly made their way through time going over the same time frame as many times as needed until they did all they could do with what they had and then were able to proceed to a time a little further ahead. People that are smart but not crazy, that have very agreeable (or at least tolerable) personalities. This is why there are some that have everything they need seemingly from birth, regardless of upbringing and social status.

I'm not saying the theory is perfect or even correct, but it would explain a great many things. Why some people just seem to have 'it'. An unquenchable drive, ambition far outstripping most others, knowledge and confidence about what they do as if they know what will happen, even if they don't really 'know' themselves.

To what end, though? I haven't a clue. I don't have all the answers, obviously. This is just the way I see things right now. It would be great if when we die we get to come back a couple decades later and try again. I've never really gave the YOLO thing any thought as it seems totally implausible. I mean, if you can only try once and then nothing, what's the point? Even if you bring world peace, you still don't get to enjoy it forever. If you win the lottery, you don't get to take it with you. So why even bother?

As for this being the end? Again, I have no clue. I will say that over the last couple decades, I've had the feeling, personally, as technology evolved, it felt to me like I somehow knew when it came to some milestone that that was the way it was supposed to be. Like that we went from 486's to Pentiums to CoreDuo's to Core i3/5/7's just doesn't surprise me, like it felt, when it happened, that it was always going to happen this way anyway and so I wasn't surprised. I didn't know where it was going (and still don't) but when it got there, it felt like I always knew it was going to be that way. Kinda hard to explain, I guess. And I don't feel like the world is about to end but then, who am I? I could be just fucking crazy!

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 10:30 Agent-Zero

Rigs wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 04:50:
I'm tellin' ya, man...I hate to be that guy on the corner with the sign that says 'The End is Nigh!' but... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

wondering why you are saying "the end is nigh"? what makes you think this is so... its not necessarily that I disagree (or agree, for that matter), Im just wondering what are the indications that give you this impression

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 04:50 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 00:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 23:16:
Debbie Reynolds died earlier today too. That's gotta be one devastated family.

Jesus Christ.

MOTHERFUCKER! WHAT THE FUCK 2016!!! Really?! What the fuck is Billie going through right now??? She just lost her Mom and Grandma in the same fucking WEEK!

I'm starting to think that Rigs was right, maybe this is the goddamn rapture *grrrrrrrrrrr* Take ME motherfucker if you've got the BALLS but I PROMISE YOU ONE THING...when I get there someone is going to answer to me or I'll BURN THE FUCKING PLACE FROM THE SKY.

Oh yeah, and of course, FUCK YOU 2016...AGAIN...CONTINUOUSLY...UNTIL YOU DIE!

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 01:40 NKD

WaltC wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 23:43:
Weird to think that just a couple hundred years ago the average male lifespan in America was ~45 or thereabouts!

This is kind of a misleading statistic, however. Average life expectancy a couple hundred years ago was skewed lower by childhood mortalities. In the early to mid 1800s, if you made it to your 20s, you were probably going to make it to your 60s, and it wasn't unheard of for people to live into their 70s and 80s.

It wasn't routine for people to die in their 40s, nor was it viewed as old age.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

4. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 00:18 SlimRam

Jesus Christ.

MOTHERFUCKER! WHAT THE FUCK 2016!!! Really?! What the fuck is Billie going through right now??? She just lost her Mom and Grandma in the same fucking WEEK!

I'm starting to think that Rigs was right, maybe this is the goddamn rapture *grrrrrrrrrrr* Take ME motherfucker if you've got the BALLS but I PROMISE YOU ONE THING...when I get there someone is going to answer to me or I'll BURN THE FUCKING PLACE FROM THE SKY.

Oh yeah, and of course, FUCK YOU 2016...AGAIN...CONTINUOUSLY...UNTIL YOU DIE!

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 2016, 01:23.

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 23:43 WaltC

Jesus Christ.

Reynolds lived to be 84, I believe. The majority of people on the planet don't live that long, so she had a long life, indeed. Her 24-year-younger daughter, however, had a much different health prognosis, obviously. However, even at 60 she herself outlived hundreds of millions of people or more. Weird to think that just a couple hundred years ago the average male lifespan in America was ~45 or thereabouts! Not to belittle the sadness for the family, of course, but there is some perspective to be applied as well. It's sobering to think that while death is inevitable for every person ever born, it is almost never expected when it comes, even so...! That fact provides the last two words of your post with some deeper perspective, as well.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

2. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 23:17 bigspender

yikes, that is some fall!  

1. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 23:16 Wallshadows

Jesus Christ.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >