Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up

A post to the RSI Community Forums by Chris Roberts further discusses the just announced switch for Star Citizen from Crytek's CryENGINE to Amazon's Lumberyard engine (thanks DSOGaming). As noted, the new engine is an offshoot of the old one, and Chris explains that this made for an easy transition:
Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!
View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 30, 2016, 21:00 Peeeling

I was intrigued by 'object containers' so I checked it out. Major deja-vu.

Way back, I recall reading about the incredible FIDELITY of the thruster model. The actual placement of the thrusters, the actual power fed to them, it was all accurately simulated. And of course nobody could actually control such a system manually so on top of this marvellous fidelity they introduced a bunch of simulated abstraction layers. And the sum of these parts? Pretty underwhelming.

Then there's the unified animation system, that proved so jarring they had to add a 'vision stabilisation' layer which - contrary to what some here continue to parrot - necessarily re-separates your 3rd person head from your 1st person view.

Now we have another system for handling cargo, and yet again FIDELITY has won out over common sense. So unless every one of their players enjoys playing Tetris to load and unload their ships, I'm calling it now: a simulated on-board cargo computer that will arrange everything so all you have to care about is "Cargo: 11/20 full".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 23:57 Slick

SlimRam wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 16:55:
Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 17:44:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 01:58:
My powers of observation often scare MYSELF. Please observe 2 post above for Mr. Harlock's responce Slick and CJ Parker seem to be literally separated at birth. They both have HUGE superiority complexes and love to talk down to any unfortunate soul that actually wants to comment on a subject that they happen to be upon. Hell, they even have almost the same computer config as they said a few days ago. I do not care so let them do what they do, doesn't really matter to me *bows*. Merry Christmas to All!!!

Wait what!?

CJ_parker and I couldn't be more socially opposed. The fact that I point out the oh-so few things we share in common is more a reflection about the absurdity of how 2 people with such fundamentally different views can occasionally share something in common.

99% of the time, CJ is just posting loud angry bullshit, and he'll probably take that as a compliment.

As for me, care to point out in this thread how I've been condescending?

There have been condescending posts made, but not by me. The last 2 days of SC thread posts I've made have been very civil.

You both post your opinions, like everyone else here. You're similar in regards to how you talk to people. Yeah, CJ screams a lot and calls a lot of things shit, it's his way. You don't do this. What you both do seem to do is argue your point even after the person you're arguing with has made up their mind. Neither of you seem to be able comprehend why a person doesn't agree with you, even when they explain it. Then, instead of accepting their answer, you both tend to start becoming angrier and finally sometimes resort to direct or indirect insults.

No, I don't have to qualify my opinion of you to you or anyone else. This is my opinion of you both; whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. Some people on here probably see me as an idiot or asshole because of some of the things I've said, that's their opinion and their entitled to it.

I try to live in a world of objective truths, and I'm constantly searching for the truth.

Sometimes when I'm rebutting someone's nonsense, I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it for the untold plethora of people who are reading these comments.

I don't buy the idea that someone can have an opinion of something, and demand as much respect for it as actual fact. It can be my opinion that the square root of the moon equals green cheese, but that doesn't make it true.

I'm not trying to convince the person to change their mind, as that's usually impossible, and a fool's errand, I'm having a dialogue for other people to read to perhaps get a more rounded-view of a subject.

I mean this isn't revolutionary thinking, to me it's common sense. Everytime you let someone have a podium and they start talking nonsense, if you don't speak up you're in danger of that mis-information spreading.

I don't claim to know all the answers, but my pursuit is to know all the answers I can possibly know. It makes me more complete as a human being to have a firm grasp on a subject, and I think it furthers the betterment of mankind for people to be enlightened by facts and logical argument, than to just cower in a mire of disinformation, lies, and fear.

If someone has a valid opinion on something I obviously respect it. However if they try to make an argument BASED on spurious disinformation, then no, I do not accept it, and will battle it. Not for their benefit, but for anyone else reading.

We're the only ones who post here, and we're a big enough community, but that says nothing of the many more who just lurk and don't post. Something to keep in mind when you come up against some factually incorrect nonsense.

People's opinions I don't let get to me, it's when they start spreading untruths that I get worried. Don't tell me that this isn't a real danger in today's world. Donald Trump is the next president.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

62. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 16:55 SlimRam

My powers of observation often scare MYSELF. Please observe 2 post above for Mr. Harlock's responce Slick and CJ Parker seem to be literally separated at birth. They both have HUGE superiority complexes and love to talk down to any unfortunate soul that actually wants to comment on a subject that they happen to be upon. Hell, they even have almost the same computer config as they said a few days ago. I do not care so let them do what they do, doesn't really matter to me *bows*. Merry Christmas to All!!!

Wait what!?

CJ_parker and I couldn't be more socially opposed. The fact that I point out the oh-so few things we share in common is more a reflection about the absurdity of how 2 people with such fundamentally different views can occasionally share something in common.

99% of the time, CJ is just posting loud angry bullshit, and he'll probably take that as a compliment.

There have been condescending posts made, but not by me. The last 2 days of SC thread posts I've made have been very civil.

You both post your opinions, like everyone else here. You're similar in regards to how you talk to people. Yeah, CJ screams a lot and calls a lot of things shit, it's his way. You don't do this. What you both do seem to do is argue your point even after the person you're arguing with has made up their mind. Neither of you seem to be able comprehend why a person doesn't agree with you, even when they explain it. Then, instead of accepting their answer, you both tend to start becoming angrier and finally sometimes resort to direct or indirect insults.

No, I don't have to qualify my opinion of you to you or anyone else. This is my opinion of you both; whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. Some people on here probably see me as an idiot or asshole because of some of the things I've said, that's their opinion and their entitled to it.

61. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 13:53 jdreyer

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 10:25:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 00:28:
Agent-Zero appears to be the most recent incarnation of this poster.

Ive been coming to this website since the 90s, back when I worked on mods for Quake

Yeah, found this site in the late 90s. I used to print it out and read it on the bus on the way to work.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

60. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 10:25 Agent-Zero

Ive been coming to this website since the 90s, back when I worked on mods for Quake

59. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 09:57 Peeeling

Given that there's only so much you can do in 'a day or so', I'm going to venture the following:

2.6 now pulls in a bunch of lumberyard-specific code, but the modules themselves make no significant additional usage of it. No doubt some of the network layer has changed, but what is being communicated under what circumstances, and how lag/prediction/missed packets etc are being dealt with at a high level almost certainly hasn't. So this doesn't constitute the 'new netcode', I reckon.

58. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 04:42 Drayth

So speak'eth jdreyer, Keeper of the Blues.

*monks chanting*

57. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 04:21 Slick

Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 22:07:
I guess I'd be more "in" on this if I had the faintest clue who the fuck Harlock is. I have a feeling it's one of those "you-have-to-have-been-on-this-board-for-15-years-to-get-the-reference-jokes".

Fifteen years not necessary. Harlock was the username of a poster on this board from 2013 to Jan 25, 2016, when he was banned for violating the Blues News TOS. He was fairly prolific with nearly 3000 posts. Since you started posting in 2012, and have been a fairly regular poster around here, it's a fair assumption that you knew who Harlock was.

"Harlock" has fairly distinctive postings, both in content and style. The same person has been posting on Blues for than a decade under a number of other (now banned) accounts: rudra, space captain, space admiral. There are probably others.

Ahh thank you for clearing that up JD, good form, top marks.

Come to think of it Harlock sounds vaguely familiar, I have a feeling i'd recognize the avatar... I'd like to think that I just tuned his nonsense out. After seeing the try-hard troll schtick in this thread...

Anyways, I had a feeling whoever he was had roots going back over a decade, see? 15 years wasn't that far off =p

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

56. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 27, 2016, 00:28 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 22:07:
I guess I'd be more "in" on this if I had the faintest clue who the fuck Harlock is. I have a feeling it's one of those "you-have-to-have-been-on-this-board-for-15-years-to-get-the-reference-jokes".

Fifteen years not necessary. Harlock was the username of a poster on this board from 2013 to Jan 25, 2016, when he was banned for violating the Blues News TOS. He was fairly prolific with nearly 3000 posts. Since you started posting in 2012, and have been a fairly regular poster around here, it's a fair assumption that you knew who Harlock was.

"Harlock" has fairly distinctive postings, both in content and style. The same person has been posting on Blues for than a decade under a number of other (now banned) accounts: rudra, space captain, space admiral. There are probably others.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

55. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 22:08 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 17:49:
HAHAHAHA. Yeah. Right, dude. Whatever. Stop pretending you're not me!

-loud? check (all caps HAHAHA)

-angry? check (very menacing "whatever")

-bullshit? check (I'm me! )

54. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 22:07 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 17:59:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 10:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 08:20:
Hmmmm...after that post I think it's finally time to say it...

Welcome back harlock/rudra it's been awhile!
GTFO, you might just have nailed it.

Slick, how do you feel about that.

Wait what!?

Also, "how do i feel about that"? Don't really know what you're on about. I know when I started posting here a few years ago people were saying that I'm obviously "some other guy" can't remember the name. Is that what you're getting at? That I'm an imposter? That my thoughts and opinions aren't really my own? You should borrow CJ's tinfoil hat sometime...
Lighten up francis. I was simply making a pun that you were having a conversation with captain space cadet harlock, that was all. And by the way, Renolds called and they want their tin-foil back.

And I wrongly thought that you were saying I'm someone else, as I've heard that a lot, especially in the first few months on this board, it's all anyone would say when they ran out of ideas to troll me with. So yeah, kinda a sore spot.

53. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 22:04 Slick

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 18:22:
Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 17:49:
Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 14:59:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 13:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 11:50:
Luke wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 11:42:
snip
Brain cells were literally sucked out of my head. Bomb
Try not to be too hard on Luke. If I had to guess I would say that English is his second or third language. Many people here have commented on how his comments don't make sense and I tend to agree.

i dont think its a language thing - my guess is some sort of mental health issue or "special needs" type situation

*cough, the pot called, he has urgent info about the kettle*

And it's obvious he's ESL, cut him some slack. I'm still astounded by how many people think that not speaking a language well means that they're just a little slow.

REALLY?

Explain yourself in Mandarin, go ahead. Any Chinese person might think you're a mental case. Does that mean you don't have a wealth of interesting ideas and thoughts flying around your head? Well, probably, but that's a different point... what was I talking about?

relax.. take a deep breath

everything will be ok

sick burn

52. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 18:22 Agent-Zero

Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 17:49:
snip
Try not to be too hard on Luke. If I had to guess I would say that English is his second or third language. Many people here have commented on how his comments don't make sense and I tend to agree.

i dont think its a language thing - my guess is some sort of mental health issue or "special needs" type situation

And it's obvious he's ESL, cut him some slack. I'm still astounded by how many people think that not speaking a language well means that they're just a little slow.

REALLY?

Explain yourself in Mandarin, go ahead. Any Chinese person might think you're a mental case. Does that mean you don't have a wealth of interesting ideas and thoughts flying around your head? Well, probably, but that's a different point... what was I talking about?

relax.. take a deep breath

everything will be ok

51. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 17:59 RedEye9

Wait what!?

Also, "how do i feel about that"? Don't really know what you're on about. I know when I started posting here a few years ago people were saying that I'm obviously "some other guy" can't remember the name. Is that what you're getting at? That I'm an imposter? That my thoughts and opinions aren't really my own? You should borrow CJ's tinfoil hat sometime...
Lighten up francis. I was simply making a pun that you were having a conversation with captain space cadet harlock, that was all. And by the way, Renolds called and they want their tin-foil back.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

50. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 17:49 CJ_Parker

HAHAHAHA. Yeah. Right, dude. Whatever. Stop pretending you're not me!  

49. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 17:49 Slick

snip

REALLY?

48. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 17:44 Slick

Wait what!?

47. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 14:59 Agent-Zero

snip

46. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 13:34 CJ_Parker

Total-Khaos wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 13:26:
I don't understand why this was crowd funded in the first place. The Kickstarter that went live in 2012 said they had investors that would be picking up the tab for the entire development of the game.

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

So...why all the money grabs with selling spaceships? This is the biggest smoke and mirrors show around!

Yep. That was the first lie and the first promise they broke back in 2012:

- These ships will only be available until the end of the pledge campaign, never to be sold again for real money. Buy, buy, buy!!! Last chance!!! Now or never!!!

Fast forward 4+ years later and with the exception of the Scythe you can still buy every single ship (or a better equivalent because some ships from the start have already become all but obsolete) for $$$.
The second lie was that buying the ships during the pledge campaign was going to be the best deal/lowest price for those ships. That was also complete bullshit.
The third lie was LTI...

... and so on, and so on...

So many lies over the years. Fuck CIG.

45. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 13:26 Total-Khaos

I don't understand why this was crowd funded in the first place. The Kickstarter that went live in 2012 said they had investors that would be picking up the tab for the entire development of the game.

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

So...why all the money grabs with selling spaceships? This is the biggest smoke and mirrors show around!

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >