Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Asheron's Call Games Ending

The Asheron's Call Facebook page announces that Turbine is putting an end to Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 on January 31st, ending a lengthy run for both MMORPGs. This follows word that they are handing off responsibility for The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, and new indie studio Standing Stone Games will run both
MMORPGs. Here's word on the end of both Asheron's Call games:

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron's Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017.
This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it's not easy for us to bring it to an end.

We have had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron's Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it.

It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud.

Between now and January 31st, 2017, the game will remain available to play, completely free, for any player currently with an account. New account creation will be disabled.
If you have any questions, please visit support.wbgames.com

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 22:08 Ravor

White Mattekar Robes - Pre Patch ones.

Great game, it'll be missed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 14:08 Kxmode

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:51:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:06:
I was tempted to sell my super rare pre-nerf Hoary Mattekar Robe on eBay but I kept for sentimental reasons. There was no such thing in AC as BOP or BOE making it super easy to get rid of high levelled items for cash-money.

Were those the robes that were bright white?

Yup!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 13:51 Jagacademy

Kxmode wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:06:
I was tempted to sell my super rare pre-nerf Hoary Mattekar Robe on eBay but I kept for sentimental reasons. There was no such thing in AC as BOP or BOE making it super easy to get rid of high levelled items for cash-money.

Were those the robes that were bright white? I had 12 of them at one point, from running around killing people all day, think I sold them for $2,000. This was back before Ebay banned sales, which was a really unfortunate day.

21. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 13:33 Agent.X7

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 23:51:
I had no idea Asheron's Call 2 was ever relaunched from the first shutdown.

Same. I read the headline and was like....what? AC2 was shut down forever ago. I tested that game from Alpha to release.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

20. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 13:06 Kxmode

Choachy wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 08:25:
I played AC for many years, and it was my first MMORPG. I guess I played it until WoW came out. And I had completely forgotten about the spell learning system. Burning through tapers left and right to learn a spell. Fizzling spells on cast because I wasnt high enough to get 100% was awesome. I remember the big world events where the devs would control the big demon shadow guy (can't remember his name) and Asheron.

The big guy was called Bael'Zharon.

Two of my fondest memories of the game besides the many friends I made in it: Crafting the sword that could be one of 4 elements using all those ingots (I cant remember the name of anything now). It took me a long time to collect those mats, but man, it was an accomplishment when I did it.

I believe you're referring to the Atlan Weapons (super powerful at the time). The four stones that gave the weapon different damage types was Major Shivering for cold damage, Major Smoldering for fire damage, Major Sparking for electrical damage, and Major Stinging for acid damage. I believe I used my Atlan weapon until I got a Singularity weapon.

And collecting some random plate boots, mentioning it in chat, and some guy offering to pay real cash for them. This is the one and only time in ANY video game ever, that I sold an item for real money. I gave the boots to a trustworthy third party to hold them while this guy physically mailed me a check (think pre-paypal).

Absolutely. I used to sell Virindi Masks on eBay for $25 a pop. Besides looking cool, because who didn't want to look like a Virindi, they also had decent stats. I was tempted to sell my super rare pre-nerf Hoary Mattekar Robe on eBay but I kept for sentimental reasons. There was no such thing in AC as BOP or BOE making it super easy to get rid of high levelled items for cash-money.

Now Im going to have to look up some AC videos and reminisce.

Me too!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: End of an Era Dec 21, 2016, 11:05 Jagacademy

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 10:27:

This... sounds miserable to play against. When I was a teenager playing hours of games a day, maybe. But now? This is part of why I have no interest in going online in most games.

This was a bygone era, this is very rare for online games today. If you do PvP in World of Warcraft for example, it only takes you a couple weeks to be competitive. Most games appeal to the masses now, with very few marketing themselves towards the most hardcore.

18. Re: End of an Era Dec 21, 2016, 10:27 Beamer

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 09:38:
This game literally made you feel like a god, something no MMO has done since. Early in the game, if you were a higher level than someone else, they couldn't even touch you. I would run into a town, kill everybody in it. Run to a dungeon, kill everyone in it. Everyone I ran into on the way anywhere died too. The only people who lived were the ones who quickly bowed and sweared their fealty to me when they saw me coming, so that I could get a percentage of any experience they earned for themselves. This kept my level higher without even having to try, allowing me to go on murder sprees for 16 hours a day.

Ended up selling my character, Blood, at level 43'ish. I was so obsessed with the game I couldn't even concentrate on my college coursework, haven't been addicted to anything that hard since early Ultima Online.

Haven't played it since, but always found comfort in the fact that it was still up and running. I think this officially marks the end of the Golden Years of MMO gaming, it's a bittersweet day.

This... sounds miserable to play against. When I was a teenager playing hours of games a day, maybe. But now? This is part of why I have no interest in going online in most games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. End of an Era Dec 21, 2016, 09:38 Jagacademy

This game literally made you feel like a god, something no MMO has done since. Early in the game, if you were a higher level than someone else, they couldn't even touch you. I would run into a town, kill everybody in it. Run to a dungeon, kill everyone in it. Everyone I ran into on the way anywhere died too. The only people who lived were the ones who quickly bowed and sweared their fealty to me when they saw me coming, so that I could get a percentage of any experience they earned for themselves. This kept my level higher without even having to try, allowing me to go on murder sprees for 16 hours a day.

Ended up selling my character, Blood, at level 43'ish. I was so obsessed with the game I couldn't even concentrate on my college coursework, haven't been addicted to anything that hard since early Ultima Online.

Haven't played it since, but always found comfort in the fact that it was still up and running. I think this officially marks the end of the Golden Years of MMO gaming, it's a bittersweet day.

16. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 08:57 Beamer

Man, 1999? I would have guessed 2002.

This is the MMORPG I've played the most. All I did, though, was the beta test. It was kind of fun. Kind of.

I ended up being partially responsible for a character wipe, too. There was some dungeon with a boss at the end, still a fairly early dungeon, and when I got to it I saw a group of maybe 3 people standing around, waiting for it to spawn. Weird, I thought, I'd never seen that (which is the exact opposite of my time in WoW.) When he spawned and we killed him, I saw why - he dropped some loot far beyond what we should be getting at our level. So I spent an hour there with those people. We'd split who took the loot each time. By the end, though, we had quite a crowd, but since I got there early I had a full suit of gold armor or some such.

The next day they admitted a bug and said they'd do a character wipe. They'd been planning to, anyway, but moved it up because this destroyed the balance. In retrospect, I exploited an obvious bug, but I was a teenager, I didn't care, it was fun seeing what I could get. I didn't log back in after the wipe, though - I was leaving for a long vacation and it didn't seem worth starting over.

Maybe 3 or 4 weeks in that beta? Compared to the 10 days I spent in WoW. Most I've played an MMORPG. Also, man, remember when you got into betas and they physically mailed you a CD and some swag? I remember how excited I got when the Tribes beta kit arrived at my house...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 08:25 Choachy

Kxmode wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 22:50:
Korrd wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 22:27:
To this day I'll still talk people's ears off about AC's magic system. I remember the hours I spent in magic shops, combining reagents in different ways, trying to figure out the right combination for a new spell. What a fucking joy it was. I heard they replaced that years ago with the usual NPC trainers that teach spells with a click of your mouse, but man, figuring it out for yourself was so much fun.

Absolutely. One cherished memory was figuring out the recipe to teleport to Ithaenc Cathedral on the Vesayen Isles. Every mob on that island was an instant death. But boy was that fun. Also figuring out the teleport to Ayan Baqur was awesome! I remember always thinking "I'm in the Direlands! I'm so elite!"

I played AC for many years, and it was my first MMORPG. I guess I played it until WoW came out. And I had completely forgotten about the spell learning system. Burning through tapers left and right to learn a spell. Fizzling spells on cast because I wasnt high enough to get 100% was awesome. I remember the big world events where the devs would control the big demon shadow guy (can't remember his name) and Asheron.

Two of my fondest memories of the game besides the many friends I made in it:
Crafting the sword that could be one of 4 elements using all those ingots (I cant remember the name of anything now). It took me a long time to collect those mats, but man, it was an accomplishment when I did it.

And collecting some random plate boots, mentioning it in chat, and some guy offering to pay real cash for them. This is the one and only time in ANY video game ever, that I sold an item for real money. I gave the boots to a trustworthy third party to hold them while this guy physically mailed me a check (think pre-paypal).

Now Im going to have to look up some AC videos and reminisce.

14. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 04:00 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:31:
Sad day in way. I never returned to AC once the cheaters got in there botting. but Dark Tide server was some of the most fun in gaming I ever had in 25 years.
Asheron's Call was one helluva game.

Yeah, it was unique and fun. And beautiful in its day.

One of the few MMOs I've ever played.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 21, 2016, 01:22 Osc8r

Sad news indeed.

Asheron's call Darktide is still the best game i have ever played, bar none. So many fond memories of that game... the whole monarchy (blood vs anti vs neutral) politics and battles over hunting grounds, portals, and even towns.

The item system, skill leveling, quests, guild setup, magic system all had amazing depth and complexity.

It's sad to see what the genre has turned into today... talk about going backwards. There was more thrill bringing back a backpack full of goods to sell from a 5 hour hunting trip, than there was in 6 months of playing a carebear MMO like WOW.

Warner Bros has basically gutted turbine so this comes as no surprise.

RIP AC

And if anyone from Darktide want's a trip down memory lane: http://www.schattenkind.com/past-present/history.html

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2016, 01:40.

12. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 23:51 RaZ0r!

I had no idea Asheron's Call 2 was ever relaunched from the first shutdown.  

11. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 22:50 Kxmode

Korrd wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 22:27:
To this day I'll still talk people's ears off about AC's magic system. I remember the hours I spent in magic shops, combining reagents in different ways, trying to figure out the right combination for a new spell. What a fucking joy it was. I heard they replaced that years ago with the usual NPC trainers that teach spells with a click of your mouse, but man, figuring it out for yourself was so much fun.

Absolutely. One cherished memory was figuring out the recipe to teleport to Ithaenc Cathedral on the Vesayen Isles. Every mob on that island was an instant death. But boy was that fun. Also figuring out the teleport to Ayan Baqur was awesome! I remember always thinking "I'm in the Direlands! I'm so elite!"

10. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 22:48 DarkCntry

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:45:
LOTRO & DDO:
Joining Standing Stone on these projects will be Daybreak Games.

Gulp.

In a publishing capacity only, Standing Stone is comprised of the same teams behind DDO and LOTRO and is self-contained.

9. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 22:46 Cutter

Loved all these games. They're all worthy of remaking and updating.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

8. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 22:41 Kxmode

This is a sad day. So many memories. Morningthaw will have a special place in my heart.  

7. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 22:27 Korrd

6. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 21:47 Squirmer

thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:35:
If they are divesting themselves of all their MMOs, what is Turbine going to be left working on? Is WB going to shut down the studio?
F2P mobile games.

5. Re: Asheron's Call Games Ending Dec 20, 2016, 21:38 Frijoles

I remember calling my girlfriend and telling her I was buying something called digital crack and that I might not be around for a while. Mostly true. AC1 brings back a lot of good memories. Tried to get in to it a few years ago, but the controls and interface were just too frustrating to use. Still, I'm sad to see it go. Wish we could get another AAA MMO modeled after it. One with a jump skill.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo