Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Winter Sale Thursday?

The Steam winter sale looks like it will begin on Thursday. PayPal UK tweets that this is the case (thanks Polygon) with a graphic stating as much. This is not a first for PayPal, who seem to be cementing their position as the official leaker of Steam sales with another early tip off. They have previously accurately predicted the start of the 2014 autumn sale, last year's winter sale, and the most recent summer sale.
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2016, 00:05 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:16:
pockets wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 19:33:
+1. You used to be able to get top shelf games for $4.99. Now they rarely go lower then 7.99, even if it's 4 years old. If my backlog wasn't so big, I might bite for the deals, but everything on my wishlist never goes down much in price.

Yeah $5 is impulse purchase. More than that not so much.

I'm somewhere around a dollar. So I have my wishlist, if it goes under $2 and I don't buy it, I force myself to remove it from the wishlist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 20:26 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:07:
I use http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/ to guesstimate when the next Steam sale will appear.

I'd bet good money this article spells it out. Voting on the Steam Awards starts on the 22nd and ends on the 30th, with the voting category changing each day; nice way to get people to visit at least daily. The sale will probably continue for a few more days, with award winners featured.

We'll probably get trading cards or something if we vote so there's a few pence added to my Steam wallet.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2016, 20:36.

12. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2016, 20:16 jdreyer

pockets wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 19:33:
+1. You used to be able to get top shelf games for $4.99. Now they rarely go lower then 7.99, even if it's 4 years old. If my backlog wasn't so big, I might bite for the deals, but everything on my wishlist never goes down much in price.

Yeah $5 is impulse purchase. More than that not so much.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 20:07 RedEye9

I use http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/ to guesstimate when the next Steam sale will appear.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2016, 19:33 pockets

9. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 18:25 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 14:58:
Sorry got GMG and GOG mixed up.For some reason I thought you were talking about GMG

Yeah, I haven't used GMG in years. Never will again.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

8. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 17:30 Quinn

Saboth wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 17:18:
They need to find a way to make them fun again. The price reductions amount to about 50% off, even if they say 75% off, because they take 3 year old games and state the price is still $60. Better than nothing, but games that would have been $1-$2 in the past rarely go below $5 now. $5 seems to be the floor for pretty much any game that isn't shovelware.

I agree. Season sale is dead. 4 years ago, I literally set my alarm in the middle of the night to check the new flash sales. It was all just crazy exciting.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

7. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 17:18 Saboth

They need to find a way to make them fun again. The price reductions amount to about 50% off, even if they say 75% off, because they take 3 year old games and state the price is still $60. Better than nothing, but games that would have been $1-$2 in the past rarely go below $5 now. $5 seems to be the floor for pretty much any game that isn't shovelware.  

6. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 14:58 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 14:55:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:28:
The one thing with Steam is if the game you get sucks at least you can get a refund. If you buy it elsewhere than well you're sol. For that alone it is worth spending an extra penny or two.
Not that I don't have plenty of games to play already.
I miss the daily deals though.

What are you talking about? Steam's 2 hour refund policy is a fucking joke. GOG gives you 30 days. Not 30 hours, 30 days.
Sorry got GMG and GOG mixed up.
For some reason I thought you were talking about GMG

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 14:55 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:28:
The one thing with Steam is if the game you get sucks at least you can get a refund. If you buy it elsewhere than well you're sol. For that alone it is worth spending an extra penny or two.

What are you talking about? Steam's 2 hour refund policy is a fucking joke. GOG gives you 30 days. Not 30 hours, 30 days.

4. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 13:40 Creston

There likely is nothing I want, but eh, I can always have a quick glance. It's nice that you can make a wishlist and see the sale prices for all those titles in a single glance.

3. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 13:30 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:22:
Yeah, that's par for the course. Seems most everyone else does sales better than Steam now so I'm more interested in seeing what sites like GOG and such will be doing.

I think GoG sale already started. Might be finished already.

I miss the daily sales too.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 13:28 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 13:22 Cutter

Yeah, that's par for the course. Seems most everyone else does sales better than Steam now so I'm more interested in seeing what sites like GOG and such will be doing.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >