Star Citizen Video

A new Star Citizen video shows off 10 minutes of emergent gameplay from Star Citizen version 2.6 (thanks DSOGaming). This is posted to the Star Citizen channel, but so was another video we linked over the weekend which ended up being deleted, so we don't know how long this will last. Word from the description is that this shows an effort to secure a giant supply of amphetamines in the space combat game: "Get a taste of what's possible in Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 with this fun emergent adventure that sees players exploring and battling their way across the vast expanse of Crusader for a chance to capture the most valuable haul of all, Big Benny's!"

View : : :
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Video
Dec 19, 2016, 13:25
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:25
Dec 19, 2016, 13:25

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:48:
its like going to McDonald and ordering a big-mac, then pulling up to the window and the cashier hands you a combo with fries and a coke. You say i didn't order that, and they reply, the car behind you paid for everyone to have a combo order for the next 1 million customers. Then you get pissed because you didn't want the fries and a coke because it makes you fat, but you sure as hell going to eat them just for spite even if you didn't want or pay for them.

In this case there has been no sign of the Big Mac in years, with no ETA for when it's ready. And those bonus fries have been delivered first despite not being ordered originally, and they aren't finished cooking yet.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:24
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:24

So Sabre Wulf = NasWulf new account?

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:24

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:04:
grudgebearer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 11:10:
I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

That's an interesting synopsis, thanks for that. When I was working in tech I once did a freelance contract for IBM at the Vancouver airport for several months. It was rather eye opening to see how an airport runs from the inside. What a mess. All the equipment was antiquated, and the entire airport seemed to be designed with form over function in mind. I knew even then I could have designed something much better and far more efficient. Should have pursued that avenue instead.

DIA was paying $1 million/Month for 10 years, just to keep the system running poorly, and that doesn't count what they were paying lost/damaged baggage claims.

If you could have cut that opperating cost by 20% they'd have paid you half a million a year. .

The conclusion of why the system never worked, and how the poor decisions during the design phase doomed it from the get go, has so many parallels to what has gone on with Star Citizen

1. The underestimation of complexity
2. A lack of planning resulting in subsequent changes in strategy
3. Excessive schedule pressure
4. Lack of due diligence
5. Making firm commitments in the face of massive risks and uncertainty
6. Poor stakeholder management
7. Communications breakdowns
8. People working in silos
9. Poor design
10. Failure to perform risk management
11. Failure to understand the implication change requests might have
12. Lack of management oversight

Scary really when you think about the amount of money RSI is wasting.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Dec 19, 2016, 13:22
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:22
Dec 19, 2016, 13:22

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:58:
So again, this is why Kick-starter fans are pissed off to no end.

I guess you don't get the McDonald analogy as much as I apparently don't get the KS controversy.

the kickstarter base was what 5-10% of the paying customer base? Probably much lower that that but I'll concede 5% on the side of gusstimation. So the other 90% of the people who gave more funds (alot more funds) than the original KS wanted or asked for should not receive the item(s) they paid for because the original 10% founder base didn't want/pay for it?

Your argument would be fine if they (CIG) did the kick starter, didn't do any stretch goals, didn't add any more funds or add-on to the project, and then came out and said oh by they way, you'll have to wait another year for what we had you pay for because we were too busy making something else you didn't pay for. But they did bring in more funds, they did do stretch goals, and people did pay for a FPS mode. Your argument is to say those people should wait longer for their game mode then I (you) because you came first in line at the funding slot.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:21
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:21
Dec 19, 2016, 13:21

Just stop funding ANY of those lazy so called Dev...very easy for some

Dec 19, 2016, 13:07
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:07
Dec 19, 2016, 13:07
 Cutter

The environments are nice but everything else is lame as a lame duck.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Dec 19, 2016, 13:04
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:04
Dec 19, 2016, 13:04
 Cutter

I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

That's an interesting synopsis, thanks for that. When I was working in tech I once did a freelance contract for IBM at the Vancouver airport for several months. It was rather eye opening to see how an airport runs from the inside. What a mess. All the equipment was antiquated, and the entire airport seemed to be designed with form over function in mind. I knew even then I could have designed something much better and far more efficient. Should have pursued that avenue instead.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Dec 19, 2016, 12:58
Darks

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:58
 Darks

grudgebearer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:34:
Probably because they don't even have a fully functional flight model implemented, and they are spending time/effort/money on remaking Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

but again if people paid for this, then why up in arms when its show off?

its like going to McDonald and ordering a big-mac, then pulling up to the window and the cashier hands you a combo with fries and a coke. You say i didn't order that, and they reply, the car behind you paid for everyone to have a combo order for the next 1 million customers. Then you get pissed because you didn't want the fries and a coke because it makes you fat, but you sure as hell going to eat them just for spite even if you didn't want or pay for them.

You apparently are not getting the point. Its the fact that this game has so much controversy behind it that, even if it was a stretch goal, the guy still does not have the game even close to being released.

The Flight sim models should have been first and foremost at the front of development. This is what should have taken priority and gotten most of the attention and completed. this FPS part should take a backseat until the game got to a point where they could say, hey heres the flight sim, now we are getting the FPS part ready and will release it once its ready.

instead Roberts keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper causing even more controversy.

And BTW, I dont recall an FPS mode ever being discussed in the original Kick-starter campaign, and looking at the stretch goals. I dont see it there either.

In fact, the FPS mode was never apart of the Kick Starter Campaign, it was apart of his own he added at the 20 Million mark.

So again, this is why Kick-starter fans are pissed off to no end.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2016, 13:07.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:58

Probably because they don't even have a fully functional flight model implemented, and they are spending time/effort/money on remaking Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

Most people that invested into this game did it for the space game not for the cod clone.
This fps module should have been something after the main game has shipped. It was a stretch goal not the main goal during the kickstarter

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2016, 13:04.
Steam: SpectralMeat

Dec 19, 2016, 12:57
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:57
Dec 19, 2016, 12:57
 Kxmode

Chris needs to apple-igize for the scope of this gaudy monstrosity. Too much fidelitah and immershuns.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 19, 2016, 12:48
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:48
Dec 19, 2016, 12:48

Dec 19, 2016, 12:43
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:43
Dec 19, 2016, 12:43

This video is everything wrong with SC development.

Notice how long it takes to actually get to "gameplay"? Sure, I want to walk through a long series of corridors (which they clipped out part of... look for the cuts) in order to equip in order to set my ship layout in order to take off to fly to get to the mission. Or not. Half the time is spent NOT playing the combat part.

Now, some people get into hyper-realism. There's room for the DCS Warthogs and Falcon 5.0s of the world. But how many popular sim games give "jump to action" or time acceleration features, precisely because they understand what the fun part of the game is? Honestly, this is my knock on Elite as well. But at least I don't have to check each virtual pocket for my virtual wallet and peel off virtual bills individually in order to pay for my fuel in Elite. That seems to be Chris Roberts' dream for SC.

Also, look at the combat (especially the space marine part). Are they using Nerf guns? It took 200 hits to drop a single enemy. That's a definite sign of gameplay issues there. Either the hit boxes or networking is crap, or CR realizes the intense frustration of 10 minutes of prep, only to get killed in 2 seconds. Probably a combination of both.

This game is even more borked than I feared it was. Hope the folks who backed it had the money to burn, because this game won't be played for more than five minutes by the average gamer before it goes in the garbage bin...

Dec 19, 2016, 12:34
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:34
Dec 19, 2016, 12:34

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:12:
Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:52:
This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Its this Bullshit that has all of us backers up in arms.

ummm wasn't the 5mill and 20mill stretch goal(s) to have more first person combat? so how can it be baffling and have people up in arms?

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Dec 19, 2016, 12:20
nin

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:20
Dec 19, 2016, 12:20
 nin

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:12:
ummm wasn't the 5mill and 20mill stretch goal(s) to have more first person combat? so how can it be baffling and have people up in arms?

Because those things happened after the kickstarter, and we not things we pledged for or were interested in.

Dec 19, 2016, 12:17
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:17
Dec 19, 2016, 12:17

Is this one of those videos that is designed to pump up the "base" supporters of this game?

Dec 19, 2016, 12:12
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:12
Dec 19, 2016, 12:12

This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Dec 19, 2016, 12:06
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:06
Dec 19, 2016, 12:06

Wow. I can't decide what is more obnoxious, the heavily scripted video or the idiots narrating it.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:25
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 11:25
Dec 19, 2016, 11:25

i could definitely see that happening... in fact i wouldnt be surprised if its already sparked a number of lectures and discussions at educational facilities in this field

Dec 19, 2016, 11:15
Darks

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 11:15
Dec 19, 2016, 11:15
 Darks

But it's no longer a space sim. Once Roberts realized how much money he could get for SQ42, he jizzed his pants and went full fan-boy on his own delusional dreams of living in the Wing Commander universe, knowing that there were plenty of gullible people with disposable income who also wanted to "live" his gaming dream world.

So, that's where we are today with this massive money-sink; Roberts is trying to create the world that he wants to live in, in game form. It is literally the epitome of scope and feature creep because it is based on his whims and flights of fancy.

And thats the point, in doing so he crippled the release of Star Citizens space sim. Constant delays and reworking the games engine to make this crap.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Dec 19, 2016, 11:10
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 11:10
Dec 19, 2016, 11:10

But it's no longer a space sim. Once Roberts realized how much money he could get for SQ42, he jizzed his pants and went full fan-boy on his own delusional dreams of living in the Wing Commander universe, knowing that there were plenty of gullible people with disposable income who also wanted to "live" his gaming dream world.

So, that's where we are today with this massive money-sink; Roberts is trying to create the world that he wants to live in, in game form. It is literally the epitome of scope and feature creep because it is based on his whims and flights of fancy.

-Robert Heinlein
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older