Star Citizen Video

A new Star Citizen video shows off 10 minutes of emergent gameplay from Star Citizen version 2.6 (thanks DSOGaming). This is posted to the Star Citizen channel, but so was another video we linked over the weekend which ended up being deleted, so we don't know how long this will last. Word from the description is that this shows an effort to secure a giant supply of amphetamines in the space combat game: "Get a taste of what's possible in Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 with this fun emergent adventure that sees players exploring and battling their way across the vast expanse of Crusader for a chance to capture the most valuable haul of all, Big Benny's!"

View : : :
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Video
Dec 19, 2016, 16:49
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:49
Dec 19, 2016, 16:49
 Cutter

grudgebearer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:24:
DIA was paying $1 million/Month for 10 years, just to keep the system running poorly, and that doesn't count what they were paying lost/damaged baggage claims.

If you could have cut that opperating cost by 20% they'd have paid you half a million a year. .

The conclusion of why the system never worked, and how the poor decisions during the design phase doomed it from the get go, has so many parallels to what has gone on with Star Citizen

1. The underestimation of complexity
2. A lack of planning resulting in subsequent changes in strategy
3. Excessive schedule pressure
4. Lack of due diligence
5. Making firm commitments in the face of massive risks and uncertainty
6. Poor stakeholder management
7. Communications breakdowns
8. People working in silos
9. Poor design
10. Failure to perform risk management
11. Failure to understand the implication change requests might have
12. Lack of management oversight

Scary really when you think about the amount of money RSI is wasting.

That's the problem with every business that fails. It's the same with restaurants and why they have the highest failure rate. People with more money than common sense - and generally little to no experience - think how cool it'd be to own a bar/resto and gee, how hard can it really be after all? Well it's not hard...if you know what you're doing and you're focused. RSI is a perfect example of this. This is why so many of us chose not to back him to begin with. We were aware of us his previous history and the fact that WC/Freelancer got made IN SPITE of him, not because of him. This was the exact same shit he pulled before except others were holding the purse strings and finally gave him the boot for his incompetence. Vision is easy, ideas are a dime a dozen, focusing and delivering on time and budget is hard.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Dec 19, 2016, 16:48
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:48
Dec 19, 2016, 16:48

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:13:
Mordhaus wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 15:54:
Let me add one bit to that, as an extremely early "former" KS backer myself, I believe most of the initial backers have already done as I have and requested a refund.

The people who are still in this mess are most likely the ones who want all of it. I wish them good luck, but if they were smart they would have gotten out when SC was still handing out refunds. They are dealing with a McDonalds that has ran this particular scam before and that sold a kid's meal burger that they claimed to be a Big Mac to Microsoft.
The game is more popular than ever (there are over 1.6m backers) and I very much doubt that most original backers have requested a refund. That said, I fully support anyone who isn't happy with the direction of the game in doing so. It's taking a lot longer than originally anticipated and not everyone is going to be happy with the direction of the game.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the direction that CIG is taking and being part of the iterative design process. The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game and it's always interesting watching the weekly videos and being able to meet the developers at events. Of course I have plenty of criticism of the game but that's to be expected.

Well, enough people did ask for refunds that they reworded the original kickstarter based TOS to make refunds basically no longer available. I don't have other evidence, but when a company rewords a TOS and starts denying refunds, it is likely that a lot of people were pulling their money out of the project.

In any case, if you like the direction the development is taking, I am not going to lambaste you for it. I hope if and when the game releases you get what you want.

Dec 19, 2016, 16:28
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:28
Dec 19, 2016, 16:28

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:13:
The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game....

The fact that you don't see this as a problem with how CIG is trying to develop the game, is very telling of your (lack of) understanding of the software development life cycle.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Dec 19, 2016, 16:27
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:27
Dec 19, 2016, 16:27

The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game and it's always interesting watching the weekly videos and being able to meet the developers at events.

Right, shaping the game...spaceship sale after spaceship sale.

Dec 19, 2016, 16:13
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:13
Dec 19, 2016, 16:13

Mordhaus wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 15:54:
Let me add one bit to that, as an extremely early "former" KS backer myself, I believe most of the initial backers have already done as I have and requested a refund.

The people who are still in this mess are most likely the ones who want all of it. I wish them good luck, but if they were smart they would have gotten out when SC was still handing out refunds. They are dealing with a McDonalds that has ran this particular scam before and that sold a kid's meal burger that they claimed to be a Big Mac to Microsoft.
The game is more popular than ever (there are over 1.6m backers) and I very much doubt that most original backers have requested a refund. That said, I fully support anyone who isn't happy with the direction of the game in doing so. It's taking a lot longer than originally anticipated and not everyone is going to be happy with the direction of the game.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the direction that CIG is taking and being part of the iterative design process. The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game and it's always interesting watching the weekly videos and being able to meet the developers at events. Of course I have plenty of criticism of the game but that's to be expected.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 19, 2016, 15:59
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 15:59
Dec 19, 2016, 15:59

Kosumo wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:35:
Ok, so this was good enough to show publicly yet they could not get any of the Squadren 42 footage togeather despite them saying back at gamescon/citizen con that it was only days from being done.

Now they say that they are not going to show it.

I say they where lying the whole time, they must have know over six months ago that there was NO chance of Squarden 42 being released this year yet they did nothing to correct that perception.
I certainly wouldn't say they're lying but CIG is terrible at communicating delays. They waited until CitizenCon to reveal that S42 isn't on track, which the community already suspected. Once they missed that window they figured it was better to hold it off for a more polished reveal. However, I do think it was ridiculous for Chris Roberts to announce S42 would be shown at CitizenCon and then not show it, only to suggest it would be shown in one of the later livestreams and it not to turn up.

CIG has been quite poor at communicating with the community recently, especially regarding delays to Squadron 42, 2.6 and 3.0. The decision to share the internal release schedule for 2.6 was a step in the right direction but only occurred after a lot of negativity from the community. I also strongly object to them pushing yet another ship in the recent livestream when 2.6 is still not out, 3.0 has not even been mentioned and we have literally no idea when Squadron 42 will be shown off. It was quite tasteless.

Certainly CIG has let itself down with regards to playable content and previews this year. The game really should be coming together a lot more quickly and focus needs to be made on playable content considering the delays on the final release. Star Marine is a step in the right direction, especially being able to run at 60fps, and now that's needed for the PU. Once basic optimisations are in place and 3.0 released there will be enough of a sandbox for players to enjoy themselves. I just hope it doesn't take four months to release 3.0.

Dec 19, 2016, 15:54
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 15:54
Dec 19, 2016, 15:54

NetHead wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 15:29:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:25:
Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:48:
its like going to McDonald and ordering a big-mac, then pulling up to the window and the cashier hands you a combo with fries and a coke. You say i didn't order that, and they reply, the car behind you paid for everyone to have a combo order for the next 1 million customers. Then you get pissed because you didn't want the fries and a coke because it makes you fat, but you sure as hell going to eat them just for spite even if you didn't want or pay for them.

In this case there has been no sign of the Big Mac in years, with no ETA for when it's ready. And those bonus fries have been delivered first despite not being ordered originally, and they aren't finished cooking yet.

A: Your Big Mac will be ready next week sir.
B: Why?
A: The guy behind you ordered an elephant steak to go with it.
B: I don't want that, and I don't want to wait, I just want was agreed to.
A: It's free sir.
B: I'm not happy about this, I've already paid for what I want.
A: I don't comprehend why you're not happy sir, it's free

The thing about analogies, are they're often straw men. Shitty analogies on the other hand....

Dec 19, 2016, 15:29
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 15:29
Dec 19, 2016, 15:29

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:48:
its like going to McDonald and ordering a big-mac, then pulling up to the window and the cashier hands you a combo with fries and a coke. You say i didn't order that, and they reply, the car behind you paid for everyone to have a combo order for the next 1 million customers. Then you get pissed because you didn't want the fries and a coke because it makes you fat, but you sure as hell going to eat them just for spite even if you didn't want or pay for them.

In this case there has been no sign of the Big Mac in years, with no ETA for when it's ready. And those bonus fries have been delivered first despite not being ordered originally, and they aren't finished cooking yet.

A: Your Big Mac will be ready next week sir.
B: Why?
A: The guy behind you ordered an elephant steak to go with it.
B: I don't want that, and I don't want to wait, I just want was agreed to.
A: It's free sir.
B: I'm not happy about this, I've already paid for what I want.
A: I don't comprehend why you're not happy sir, it's free

The thing about analogies, are they're often straw men. Shitty analogies on the other hand....

Dec 19, 2016, 14:47
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:47
Dec 19, 2016, 14:47

Kosumo wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:35:
Also, in that McDonald example, the whole time you are waiting in the drive though on your burger, while you have been given cold French fries that you did not order, McDonald's is blasting your car with ad's for new burgers and other products.

AND, Sandi Gardiner is working the McDonald's drive thru window because the entire project imploded and she needs the that damn dolla!

Dec 19, 2016, 14:45
nin

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:45
Dec 19, 2016, 14:45
 nin

His posts are trash anyway. It's better off skipping him.

Dec 19, 2016, 14:43
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:43
Dec 19, 2016, 14:43

For perspective, here's what theyarecomingforyou said in an earlier thread:

What we've seen and got to play is in excess of what was originally promised.

and he has thus far declined to confirm that was a joke, so... yeah.

Dec 19, 2016, 14:35
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:35
Dec 19, 2016, 14:35

Ok, so this was good enough to show publicly yet they could not get any of the Squadren 42 footage togeather despite them saying back at gamescon/citizen con that it was only days from being done.

Now they say that they are not going to show it.

I say they where lying the whole time, they must have know over six months ago that there was NO chance of Squarden 42 being released this year yet they did nothing to correct that perception.

Also, in that McDonald example, the whole time you are waiting in the drive though on your burger, while you have been given cold French fries that you did not order, McDonald's is blasting your car with ad's for new burgers and other products.

Dec 19, 2016, 14:16
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:16
Dec 19, 2016, 14:16

as more art comes online, it becomes more clear that this game's graphics are OFF THE WALL HOOK

Dec 19, 2016, 14:15
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:15
Dec 19, 2016, 14:15

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:52:
Signed On Sep 23, 2010, 22:40 Clearly a sleeper agent. Nice
Clearly I've been waiting six years for just this moment, biding my time to ask the question my plan is complete

Dec 19, 2016, 13:58
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:58
Dec 19, 2016, 13:58

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016:

And thats the point, in doing so he crippled the release of Star Citizens space sim. Constant delays and reworking the games engine to make this crap.

You don't get it. I can see myself getting up out of bed. GETTING OUT OF BED.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:57
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:57
Dec 19, 2016, 13:57

Your argument is to say those people should wait longer for their game mode then I (you) because you came first in line at the funding slot.

If you order a burger, and then the restaurant announces they've sold so many burgers that they can afford to expand into pizza, is it wrong to expect them to fulfil their initial commitments as a priority?

Dec 19, 2016, 13:52
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:52
Dec 19, 2016, 13:52

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:37:
check your dates again there
Signed On Sep 23, 2010, 22:40 Clearly a sleeper agent. Nice
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:42
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:42
Dec 19, 2016, 13:42

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:17:
The narrative in these MP videos are fucking terrible.
I literally had to watch this with the sound muted, because it made me feel embarrassed to listen to it. Sounded like 7yrs old kids in the school yard or something.
Completely agree. The entire livestream was cringeworthy and the community backlash to it was immense.

nin wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:20:
Because those things happened after the kickstarter, and we not things we pledged for or were interested in.
The majority of backers joined AFTER the Kickstarter. Even in the original pitch video it was shown from a first-person perspective and it was built on the CryEngine, which is a first-person engine. Chris Roberts always intended to do first-person combat if the funding allowed for it. As an original backer from the Kickstarter I fully support the direction taken, though am obviously disappointed by the constant delays.

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:43:
This video is everything wrong with SC development.

Notice how long it takes to actually get to "gameplay"? Sure, I want to walk through a long series of corridors (which they clipped out part of... look for the cuts) in order to equip in order to set my ship layout in order to take off to fly to get to the mission. Or not. Half the time is spent NOT playing the combat part.
This is the Persistent Universe part of the game, which is built around a living universe. It's not meant to be fast paced from the get-go, it's designed to be immersive. That was the plan all along. If you want fast paced you can play Arena Commander, where you start in your ship and respawn immediately once you're killed. Squadron 42 will again be different, with everything built around the narrative and with deliberate pacing. There's something for everybody.

Also, it needs to be said that the game is in alpha. You can't even take off from your hangar at the moment. Likely what will happen is you'll spawn in your hangar, get into your ship and take off directly into space. So this isn't representative of the final product.

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:43:
Also, look at the combat (especially the space marine part). Are they using Nerf guns? It took 200 hits to drop a single enemy. That's a definite sign of gameplay issues there. Either the hit boxes or networking is crap, or CR realizes the intense frustration of 10 minutes of prep, only to get killed in 2 seconds. Probably a combination of both.
The networking is currently a major issue with the game, causing serious performance issues. Further, the game is currently being rebalanced and this patch hasn't even gone live yet - there will also be more balancing going on in the next patch. The component system is also in its infancy, which deals with shields, armour, etc. Balance has changed constantly throughout development and will continue to change radically before release.

As it stands the Persistent Universe isn't very enjoyable and won't be until at least 3.0, when we'll see the new netcode, procedurally generated planets, gameplay mechanics (cargo, etc), a proper mission system and multiple locations to spawn from. But then that's to be expected for a game in alpha that is missing most of the mechanics and gameplay systems. Anybody who played the leak of Half-Life 2 can attest to that - here's a gameplay video for those that didn't experience that joy.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:37
Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:37
Dec 19, 2016, 13:37

true, but it doesn't make the analogy wrong

Dacron wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:24:
So Sabre Wulf = NasWulf new account?

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:34:
Saber, piss off. You are new here so take your garbage and leave.
If you want to defend this con artist, then go their web forums and have at it.

check your dates again there, and I'm not arguing for star citizen or against it, just looking for the reason for a backer(s) being baffled for when a developer shows off a mode in a game people clearly paid for.

Dec 19, 2016, 13:34
Darks

Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:34
Dec 19, 2016, 13:34
 Darks

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:22:
Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:58:
So again, this is why Kick-starter fans are pissed off to no end.

I guess you don't get the McDonald analogy as much as I apparently don't get the KS controversy.

the kickstarter base was what 5-10% of the paying customer base? Probably much lower that that but I'll concede 5% on the side of gusstimation. So the other 90% of the people who gave more funds (alot more funds) than the original KS wanted or asked for should not receive the item(s) they paid for because the original 10% founder base didn't want/pay for it?

Your argument would be fine if they (CIG) did the kick starter, didn't do any stretch goals, didn't add any more funds or add-on to the project, and then came out and said oh by they way, you'll have to wait another year for what we had you pay for because we were too busy making something else you didn't pay for. But they did bring in more funds, they did do stretch goals, and people did pay for a FPS mode. Your argument is to say those people should wait longer for their game mode then I (you) because you came first in line at the funding slot.

Saber, piss off. You are new here so take your garbage and leave.
If you want to defend this con artist, then go their web forums and have at it.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older