Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Citizen Video

A new Star Citizen video shows off 10 minutes of emergent gameplay from Star Citizen version 2.6 (thanks DSOGaming). This is posted to the Star Citizen channel, but so was another video we linked over the weekend which ended up being deleted, so we don't know how long this will last. Word from the description is that this shows an effort to secure a giant supply of amphetamines in the space combat game: "Get a taste of what's possible in Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 with this fun emergent adventure that sees players exploring and battling their way across the vast expanse of Crusader for a chance to capture the most valuable haul of all, Big Benny's!"

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

85. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 23, 2016, 21:27 Kosumo

Engine change for the win! (Now with Amazon Data mining)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 21, 2016, 20:24 Drayth

Will somebody just make this already...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKz_hiGKZYw

(as in a full game on pc)

83. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 21, 2016, 11:13 Peeeling

It's not so much about WHAT'S being combined, as HOW.

Even when you're breaking new ground, it's possible to make good decisions about how you're going to approach it. CR managed to orchestrate a perfect storm of fail:

Step 1: Pick an engine that's fundamentally unfit for purpose.
Step 2: Before having the slightest clue what an overarching technology framework might look like for this kind of game world, or even the most rudimentary spec, ramp up production across several studios on gameplay 'modules', final-quality ship models and textures. For the layman, this is roughly equivalent to asking different people in different countries to make different but interlocking parts of a LEGO model without first defining what the model is supposed to look like or indeed what LEGO is.
Step 3: Relentlessly stir and churn the ensuing cacophony with impulsive feature-creep, demands for throw-away demos and obsessive micro-management.

82. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 19:50 Eirikrautha

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 15:02:
Nonsense. Look at the unified first-and-third person animations, for instance - the only game that tried that is Arma and that's a horrible game. CIG has managed to incorporate vision stabilisation into the mix to create a viewspace that is exactly as others see it, which is important for multiplayer. Then there's the multi-crew ships with independent physics grids, something that hasn't been seen in any other game. There's the scope of the universe, with 64bit precision being used to render at incredible distances with incredible accuracy. If you really think the game isn't cutting edge and groudbreaking then you're not being reasonable.

And every one of those things has been tried or achieved in other games (you even admit it with ARMA!). 64-bit precision is unique to SC? Seriously? You haven't addressed my question at all. Why is CR the guy who will be able to put all of these together for the first time?

Nobody does. It's never been done before. It's like criticising JFK for trying to put a man on the moon by claiming nobody has ever done it before and nobody has been able to combine all the elements needed. No shit. Is your argument that developers should always play it safe and not bother to innovate?

Uhhh, ever heard of Blizzard? They've made careers out of combining the features of disparate games into a beautiful working whole. No one may have combined these particular features... and I wonder why?

No, my argument is that those who achieve generally have the skills or records that predict they will achieve. When you want someone to circumnavigate the Earth, you'll look for someone that has a history of managing long expeditions. If you're looking for someone to run a marathon, you look for someone that has run long races. NASA had a history of getting stuff done, which they built on. JFK didn't call up a model rocket club and put them in charge.

Look, if you don't like the game then don't buy it. Chris Roberts isn't going to murder your first born if you don't. If you want to wait for it to be completed before deciding whether it's worth it then great - again, nobody is forcing you to buy it. What I don't understand is why so many people have an agenda to see the game fail.

So now we've finally got to the rhetorical dodges. You can't give me a reason why CR is the guy to make this advance, so you impugn my motives (in addition to hyperbolic strawmen). I'd love a game that brought space adventure/combat back into the mainstream. But every indication is that this isn't it. No matter what you say about me, it doesn't mean that you have established a single thing about CR capabilities and SC's feasibility...

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2016, 20:56.

81. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 19:03 RedEye9

Peeeling wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 16:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 11:28:
Peeeling wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 11:10:
I don't think those who were sold on the hype deserve abuse. For the most part it's been very good hype. However I think apologists who try to gloss over the failure to deliver on promises, and who try to claim - AFAIK with zero industry experience - that this is typical AAA development are doing everyone a disservice at this point.
In the history of gaming there has never been an undertaking as large as this with such a big all encompassing scope.

Not to mention it has fairly open development with the community and is crowd funded.

Some. if not most, of this is uncharted territory.

That's probably the most pernicious fallacy concerning SC.

Right across the hall we have Elite:Dangerous. What's the 'scope' or 'ambition' of that game? Do you think it's somehow intrinsically limited compared to SC - that there's something planned for SC that simply could not be introduced to E:D because of the way the latter has been developed?

Of course not! In fact, I guarantee that if CIG tossed their engine in the garbage right now, bought out E:D and ported the SC ship assets, you would be playing the game promised in the Kickstarter within 12 months. Maybe six.

SC's glacial progress and missed deadlines are NOT a natural and inevitable consequence of project scope. They are a natural and inevitable consequence of poor decision-making, poor planning and impulsive feature-creep. It's what happens when you simply don't understand the reality of what you're attempting and thus cannot adequately prepare for it.
You were able to use pernicious in a sentence, impressive.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

80. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 16:27 Peeeling

I don't think those who were sold on the hype deserve abuse. For the most part it's been very good hype. However I think apologists who try to gloss over the failure to deliver on promises, and who try to claim - AFAIK with zero industry experience - that this is typical AAA development are doing everyone a disservice at this point.
In the history of gaming there has never been an undertaking as large as this with such a big all encompassing scope.

Not to mention it has fairly open development with the community and is crowd funded.

That's probably the most pernicious fallacy concerning SC.

Right across the hall we have Elite:Dangerous. What's the 'scope' or 'ambition' of that game? Do you think it's somehow intrinsically limited compared to SC - that there's something planned for SC that simply could not be introduced to E:D because of the way the latter has been developed?

Of course not! In fact, I guarantee that if CIG tossed their engine in the garbage right now, bought out E:D and ported the SC ship assets, you would be playing the game promised in the Kickstarter within 12 months. Maybe six.

SC's glacial progress and missed deadlines are NOT a natural and inevitable consequence of project scope. They are a natural and inevitable consequence of poor decision-making, poor planning and impulsive feature-creep. It's what happens when you simply don't understand the reality of what you're attempting and thus cannot adequately prepare for it.

79. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 15:02 theyarecomingforyou

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 05:06:
Their target audience being in the age range of 6-8yrs old, I am sure the kids will belíve this video was recorded during a live MP game session.
So their target audience is children who would have been 2-4 years old at the time of the Kickstarter and who have tens of thousands of dollars in disposable income? Interesting argument.

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:12:
Nope. Not one iota of it is "uncharted territory." Every single thing CR is promising has been done before. What he is promising is to do them all together at once. That's what makes him (and his defenders) fools.
Nonsense. Look at the unified first-and-third person animations, for instance - the only game that tried that is Arma and that's a horrible game. CIG has managed to incorporate vision stabilisation into the mix to create a viewspace that is exactly as others see it, which is important for multiplayer. Then there's the multi-crew ships with independent physics grids, something that hasn't been seen in any other game. There's the scope of the universe, with 64bit precision being used to render at incredible distances with incredible accuracy. If you really think the game isn't cutting edge and groudbreaking then you're not being reasonable.

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:12:
But CR has no track record of technological innovation on this scale. He's got no track record of finding a way to combine all of the disparate features of different games into a seamless whole
Nobody does. It's never been done before. It's like criticising JFK for trying to put a man on the moon by claiming nobody has ever done it before and nobody has been able to combine all the elements needed. No shit. Is your argument that developers should always play it safe and not bother to innovate?

Look, if you don't like the game then don't buy it. Chris Roberts isn't going to murder your first born if you don't. If you want to wait for it to be completed before deciding whether it's worth it then great - again, nobody is forcing you to buy it. What I don't understand is why so many people have an agenda to see the game fail.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

78. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 13:12 Eirikrautha

Nope. Not one iota of it is "uncharted territory." Every single thing CR is promising has been done before. What he is promising is to do them all together at once. That's what makes him (and his defenders) fools. Because his entire argument is that he can do what no one else has been able to do because... reasons. And that's it! No "because" is forthcoming. No explanation how he is going to accomplish what everyone else in the history of gaming couldn't manage. What is the new technology? What is the new coding practice or development structure? What is the track record and evidence that he can do it? If John Carmack tells me he has come up with a method of rendering scenes with half the overhead I might believe him (if I don't think about "megatextures" too hard). He's got a track record.

But CR has no track record of technological innovation on this scale. He's got no track record of finding a way to combine all of the disparate features of different games into a seamless whole (*cough* Freelancer *cough*). He has no "magic bullet" to make any of his promises more possible than they were for any other developers. Hell, he doesn't even have EA/COD money (yet) to throw at the game. All he has is "trust me." All he has is "have faith."

This isn't a game. It's a damn cult...

77. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 13:11 RedEye9

Dacron wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 12:51:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 08:18:
So we are in agreement then? Trump voters are the same people who fall for the bullshit from CIG?

Mentally I mean, not literally.

Who knows Trump might even build a Wall! Roberts sure as fuck wont ever make a game!

Well, the wall turned into a fence.

So SC will turn into ?
And Hillary is locked up, NO you say, that was more drumpf bullshit that retards chanted at pep rallies.
Guess that means Chris Roberts will be prosecuted, nope, that's never going to happen either.

76. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 12:51 Dacron

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 08:18:
So we are in agreement then? Trump voters are the same people who fall for the bullshit from CIG?

Who knows Trump might even build a Wall! Roberts sure as fuck wont ever make a game!

Well, the wall turned into a fence.

So SC will turn into ?

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

75. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 11:28 RedEye9

74. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 11:10 Peeeling

73. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 09:23 Slashman

If this game gets made it will be in spite of Roberts and not because of him.

Cutter summed this up earlier. But to quote an actual experienced dev on the subject: "Yelling over peoples shoulder is NOT making a game, hate to burst your bubble. Making a game is actual work and actual rule writing and actual spot testing and actual file manipulation and actual balancing and rebalancing."

72. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 08:18 VaranDragon

71. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 06:08 Peeeling

I'm obviously talking about the fidelity of content released and upcoming content shown off (i.e. the procedurally generated planets). The fidelity is far in excess of anything originally envisioned.

Really?

In any case, 'overdeliver' is just wrong. To overdeliver you have to exceed expectations, and since everyone expected to be playing S42 in 2014 it's no longer possible to 'overdeliver' that product.

70. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 05:06 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 01:30:
The stupidest part is how they try to claim it's "emergent" gameplay when it's totally staged.
Their target audience being in the age range of 6-8yrs old, I am sure the kids will belíve this video was recorded during a live MP game session. For everyone else, it's pretty much insulting the intelligence of gamers what they're trying to sell here as "emergent gameplay".

Steam: SpectralMeat

69. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 02:51 Kosumo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 17:54:
CIG is overdelivering and designing the game as the community wants

A very stupid view.

They are totally under delivering, have been for years.

Over a year ago they had there first SQ42 video with the actors names in it and at the end 2016. Less than two weeks left in 2016 - NOTHING at all shown - this for a game which was orignally planned to be out in 2014.

That is shameful and completely why no publisher would work with Chris Roberts.

This has happened with him before - Freelance - which was only finished once he had been removed from the project; which suited him anyway because he did not really want to make games, he wants to make movies.

What he is over delivering on is scummy way to take more and more money from his backers. 'Concept' i.e. what I've just dreamed up shit sales with 'Life Time Insurance' i.e. more bullshit money grabbing sales pitch/concept that still after 5 years has not been shown in any way how this would work in the game without unbalancing the economy (which does not exsit in anyway). Meaning that these LTI Concepts Ships are pay to win DLC while it is being denied that it is so. That's Scummy!

It's an open development game and will run without a subscription. But scummy Chris wants some more money so now if you want to play the latest PTU version of the game and you have not been invited, you can become a community subscriber, paying $10 a month and with this, you will be allowed to play the latest PTU version of the game before others. Gee, I find that a bit scummy aswell.

Totally over delivering in those areas. As for GAMEPLAY, you know the backbone of games, well, not so much.

As to keeping to his oringal pledge where he said if the game was not delivered by 18 months after his 2014 date, he would show and account for where the money has been spent. ..... Yeah, not gonna happen cos he was only saying those things then to reassure people to give him money. It's ok though cos some off those people have totally fell for what he as been saying and will come out and excuse him for those things. That's a little scummy too.

CIG is overdelivering on the pay to Chris Roberts and his wife, the VP of tickling, Sandi.

68. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 01:49 Tipsy McStagger

What the fuck is this? These fucking idiots are so annoying.

This is a fucking horribly animated call of duty without any fun. That guy just took 500 shots in an "Ambush".

Look at those jerky character model turns and the fucking totally fake "My weapon jams and I argued with him to get another one" and all the other shit in this video "Oh thats the new shit armor"

"get geared up and meet me at the bar"

"bragging about our set up FPS shit fight catepillar"

Oh look at the tour of 3d ships the entire time. All of them fly the exact same with no inertia and mass differences.

lol @ the guys flying in space going into the ship and the obvious cut scenes..

this is just a scam hype video for more funding.

67. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 01:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 23:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 19:15:
Who here has $0 wrapped up in Star Citizen and NMS combined?

Take a bow.

You're one of the good ones. The smart ones.

Oh oh oh!!!! *bows*

That said, I still WANT SC to be awesome, I just have no faith that it ever will be. That 10 minute video was about eight minutes of utter boredom.

The stupidest part is how they try to claim it's "emergent" gameplay when it's totally staged.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

66. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 23:46 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 19:15:
Who here has $0 wrapped up in Star Citizen and NMS combined?

Take a bow.

You're one of the good ones. The smart ones.

Oh oh oh!!!! *bows*

That said, I still WANT SC to be awesome, I just have no faith that it ever will be. That 10 minute video was about eight minutes of utter boredom.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo