Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2016, 03:46 DarkCntry

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 22:47:
Well, I am taking a guess and muse that Japan doesn't have record low birthrates for no reason...

Probably due to the work-ethic society more-so than fake waifus running around.

Then you have to also take into account Japan's heavy societal pressure on introverts. I'm going to go out on a limb and think that this won't change anything that isn't already taking place and have been in place for decades before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 22:47 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 19:02:
That Gatebox appliance is just sad, as in depressing and not meant as insulting. How hollow and empty of a human life must be led where the only emotional stimulus comes from a set of scripted routines. Moreover, where that's the only positive emotional stimulus.

Well, I am taking a guess and muse that Japan doesn't have record low birthrates for no reason...

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 19:02 Burrito of Peace

That Gatebox appliance is just sad, as in depressing and not meant as insulting. How hollow and empty of a human life must be led where the only emotional stimulus comes from a set of scripted routines. Moreover, where that's the only positive emotional stimulus.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 17:33 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:47:
I don't really have anything to say about waifu coffee makers, but I have to say something about the comments in that article. Because for a second I thought I had entered pinterest, and double checked the url. but no, this was really Ars, home of tech geeks and sub cultures, instead I see puritan stuck up anti-geeks complaining about creepiness of waifus? The actual fuck

What happened to Ars? The comments makes it look like some puritan anti-sub culture cult. That is, shocking!

I seriously thought that Ars was a tech site for geeks. But apparently I was wrong. It has gotten invaded by grumpy old (and very stuck up) dwarfs. ^^

No, it's just sad. There's nothing puritanical about that perspective. Spend that $2700 on some self-improvement and go out and meet a fucking real woman. Hell, take it and go to a rub--n-tug or something at least. That or learn to be alone. That sort of desperation, however, is simply pathetic.

The Canadian douche-bro opinion, everyone! In it's natural habitat.

Amazing...simply amazing! Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 17:10 Creston

I practically pissed myself when I saw the OH KRIEGER-SAN comment.

Also, Japan...? This is why people think you're all fucked up. Not so much because of the product, but because of the god-awful commercial you made for it.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 16:40 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:47:
I don't really have anything to say about waifu coffee makers, but I have to say something about the comments in that article. Because for a second I thought I had entered pinterest, and double checked the url. but no, this was really Ars, home of tech geeks and sub cultures, instead I see puritan stuck up anti-geeks complaining about creepiness of waifus? The actual fuck

What happened to Ars? The comments makes it look like some puritan anti-sub culture cult. That is, shocking!

I seriously thought that Ars was a tech site for geeks. But apparently I was wrong. It has gotten invaded by grumpy old (and very stuck up) dwarfs. ^^

No, it's just sad. There's nothing puritanical about that perspective. Spend that $2700 on some self-improvement and go out and meet a fucking real woman. Hell, take it and go to a rub--n-tug or something at least. That or learn to be alone. That sort of desperation, however, is simply pathetic.

10. The holographic anime “robot” that will keep house for lonely salarymen. Dec 19, 2016, 16:11 SlimRam

I hope that they make the entire device um... "spill-proof"...  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 16:02 PHJF

Curious if the inventor of the product is registered as "Doctor Krieger" or not...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 15:13 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:18:
I dunno if I'd say those mocking the machine that seeks to replace human interaction and physical contact are the puritan ones.

You can find more sympathetic comments YouTube comments section, where some hopeful fans declare the female species "over."

I'm sure that plenty of women mourn the possibility of sex with guys willing to quickly trade them in for the opportunity to dry hump a coffee machine.

Not everyone who wants a personal assistant with an avatar waifu wants to have sex with it you know It is a playful take on personal assistant zystems. (I call them PAZ , get it? From metal gear? ;p) and as a geek, I am naturally curious how far we can push this technology, I want VR and full android integration! Talking assistant that knows what I need to buy at the end of the week? Sign me up

I completely agree you can be sensible and rational about a product like this. With you posting it, I assumed you would be.

However, I don't think the video is aiming for the sensible and rational, it's aiming for the lonely male who has an anime female avatar on Twitter and spends his time asking wondering why the stupid whore in the dorm across the hall won't date him; she's probably too much of a bitch to realize what a nice guy he is. In any case, that's who many of the responders in most articles for this turned out to be.

Had it been, rather than a "sexy" anime character, it was Mr. Belvedere (or Mr. Beauregard, if that suits better), it'd not have this response, haha.

You are going very wide with your argumentation I just found it odd that the comments on ARS would be focused on it being a waifu. Like, who cares what it is? It will be moddable because these developers sure aren't using non-standard model data or complex bone mapping in a box with barely a GPU/CPU worth the name.... ;p But what that box definitely can't do is render the grand mustache of Mr. Belvedere in holographic projection at a quality worth the name.

Idol culture is really big in Japan and so this approach makes total sense if you market it in Japan. ^^

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 14:53 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:44:
I dunno if I'd say those mocking the machine that seeks to replace human interaction and physical contact are the puritan ones.

You can find more sympathetic comments YouTube comments section, where some hopeful fans declare the female species "over."

I'm sure that plenty of women mourn the possibility of sex with guys willing to quickly trade them in for the opportunity to dry hump a coffee machine.

Not everyone who wants a personal assistant with an avatar waifu wants to have sex with it you know It is a playful take on personal assistant zystems. (I call them PAZ , get it? From metal gear? ;p) and as a geek, I am naturally curious how far we can push this technology, I want VR and full android integration! Talking assistant that knows what I need to buy at the end of the week? Sign me up

I completely agree you can be sensible and rational about a product like this. With you posting it, I assumed you would be.

However, I don't think the video is aiming for the sensible and rational, it's aiming for the lonely male who has an anime female avatar on Twitter and spends his time asking wondering why the stupid whore in the dorm across the hall won't date him; she's probably too much of a bitch to realize what a nice guy he is. In any case, that's who many of the responders in most articles for this turned out to be.

Had it been, rather than a "sexy" anime character, it was Mr. Belvedere (or Mr. Beauregard, if that suits better), it'd not have this response, haha.

edit - in other words, this got hit with the internet reaction this season of South Park tried to explain. When it launched, a handful of guys said they wanted to bang it and forget women forever. Some people made fun of them. Some people saw the jokes, but not the original comments, and got annoyed that people were nerd-shaming. Some people saw that and got annoyed that making fun of nerds who want to bang AI was suddenly off-limits. It rippled out from there.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2016, 14:58.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 14:50 eRe4s3r

Bodolza wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:16:
Sadly, Slashdot has gone the same way. A whole bunch of whiny, entitled, thin-skinned geeks up-voting each other. There's no actual discussion anymore on those discussion forums. People just fire off some comment and never respond.

Which is indeed sad, but even sadder when it happens to sites where you'd think geeks who are naturally curious about technology actually want to read stories about, you know, new technology uniting sub-culture and tech from big corps. While on slashdot I can also attest that this is basically true, and even worse I remember a time when this wasn't the case.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 14:44 eRe4s3r

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 13:18 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 13:16 Bodolza

Sadly, Slashdot has gone the same way. A whole bunch of whiny, entitled, thin-skinned geeks up-voting each other. There's no actual discussion anymore on those discussion forums. People just fire off some comment and never respond.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 12:27 Shok

Try hacker news if you want the closest thing to a tech site for geeks.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 10:47 eRe4s3r

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >