Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Had a little stomach trouble this morning that I was worried was related to some chicken I had last night that may have been a trifle al dente. Now I think I was probably wrong, since I am feeling better already, and Dr. Wikipedia suggests the side effects from undercooked chicken should last longer than a few hours and that actual instances of Salmonella poisoning are "rare." It's certainly good news that I won't be sick for the next few days, though I would prefer to know what was causing problems in the first place. Oh well, I feel better, so that's the main thing.

R.I.P.: Zsa Zsa Gabor dies at 99.

Salmonella Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Super Soccer Noggins Xmas.
Santa Run 4.
Science: World's biggest diamonds may unlock mysteries of Earth's mantle, say geologists.
Media: If The Lottery Was Honest.
If Nintendo Owned Sonic.
TEENS PLAY RESIDENT EVIL 7! (PSVR Demo - React Gaming).

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 11:55 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:15:
Uggh, that's one of the reasons I stopped eating meats decades ago, all the disease they spread. Puke

Life, the deadliest of all diseases.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2016, 08:48 Agent-Zero

Pigeon wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 18:55:
They also work great for things like baked potatoes where size variation makes the timing of doneness a little difficult.

seriously?? LOL

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 23:05 eRe4s3r

RoboNerd wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:56:
Mr. Blue,

Take it from a retired food safety professional - buy yourself a digital probe thermometer. And then USE it.

That goes for all the Bluesnation... Chef

Using one and would consider that a vital thing too... ever since I got one I am no longer scared of below low (100C) temperature meat preparation where I found that it is nearly impossible to judge the temperature and state of an entire "meat-brick" even with a "poker". And it has turned to be absolutely fantastic tool as well. Would never prepare semi-complicated meat recipes without it.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 18:55 Pigeon

I third the call for people to use temperature probes. I know it's a point of pride among many cooks, and some think if you poke a single hole in a piece of meat before its ready to serve all the juice is going to geyser out leaving you with a dry husk, but the reality is assuming you're relatively good at telling when a piece of meat is done, you'll only be poking one, maybe two small holes in it and the amount of juice that escapes will be completely unnoticeable. You also get the bonus of cooking your food to the perfect temperature every time. They also work great for things like baked potatoes where size variation makes the timing of doneness a little difficult.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 18:28 Bodolza

Pretty much agreed on Rogue One. The script could have used some tightening, and the final battle was a bit long. They could have dropped the Imperial Pilot's end mission entirely without affecting the plot at all. Also, the movie really should have ended about a couple minutes before it did. There was a perfect shot of Vader to end on.

Those are all fairly minor quibbles, though. Any fan of the old EU stuff should really check out this movie. It may not feel like a "Star Wars" movie, but it captures the feel of those comics, books, and video games that came out in the 90's.

Much better, IMHO, than the travesty that was TFA.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 14:59 1badmf

rogue one impressions (spoiler free):

muuuuch better than i dared let myself hope. it brought star wars back to its Original Trilogy roots - a galaxy shabby in its decor and its morals; a rebellion that was first and foremost about being the hope of the people, not about pewpew and lightsabers.

there were minor problems with the script; you could tell where the writers thought, 'yeah that's good enough. lets move on.' but they just needed some rearrangement, not the death star size holes of TFA.

all i ever wanted was an original star wars story that had a soul about people (while delivering the necessary amounts of pew) and a story about hope, like what i grew up on. i'd begun to think maybe i was asking too much. i'm glad i was wrong. if you're hesitant because of the travesty that was TFA, don't be. may be somewhat meta, but this is starwars' own A New Hope, to make it as good as many of us have long wanted.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 14:49 1badmf

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:04:
Blade Runner 2049 teaser trailer just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k

Looks great to me. Will be a long wait.

i will be shocked if 2049 matches the lonely cry for justice that was the original. that was one of the greatest films of all time; i really don't expect 2049 to be anything more than a stylish detective noir story. still, i would be happy if it was at least that.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 14:24 Cutter

I need some new specs. Anyone use Warby Parker before? I see they have a store open in Toronto now so I think I'll drop by to check them out.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 14:15 Acleacius

Uggh, that's one of the reasons I stopped eating meats decades ago, all the disease they spread. Puke  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 14:12 Acleacius

Blade Runner 2049 teaser trailer just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k

Thanks for the heads up. I really liked the first one and have high hopes, but they were just dashed. Years now Ridley has been delusionally telling us, we should not want the original release version (US for me) because of Harrison's voice over.

Riddly "Please buy my new and improved version", we've gone back and removed some important acting narrative and immersive dialog in one of the great films of the eighties in the 20th century. He really meant it too, he fought with the studio about it. Argued and stopped working on it for years iirc, because he wanted them removed. Middlefinger

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:47 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:10:

Hard to tell from the trailer but at least there was nothing to indicate it would be bad. I will continue to hope for the best while expecting not too much and look forward to seeing it.

That does indeed look great. Yeah, fingers crossed but trying to keep my expectations low. I may actually have to see this one in the theater.

And speaking of trailers, new one for Ghost in the Shell. Looks good as well, but we'll see.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:34 Cutter

Huh weird, I was just watching this on Food Detectives yesterday. People get food poisoning from chicken more than anything else. Not from salmonella but from campylobacter.

In the first episode, Prof Alice Roberts reveals that three quarters of us are taking home a food poisoning bug with us from the supermarket. It is a health food scandal that few of us have even heard of. Campylobacter is the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK. When chickens are slaughtered, the bacteria can contaminate the surface of the bird. It has been found on fresh chilled chickens bought from all the major supermarkets. The food industry has promised to reduce the levels of contamination, but has it? We commissioned our own survey of campylobacter levels on supermarket chickens to find out.

Not only that, but they went over the hygiene methods for preparing chicken - and meats in general - and the big one - every government has been telling people for decades now but they still don't listen - is don't wash the meat! All it does is spread bacteria all over the kitchen. Don't wash the packaging either for the same reason, just bin it immediately. Keep the work area where you're preparing the chicken free from anything and everything else that isn't essential to the operation. And clean up immediately when it's done. And when washing up, make sure to clean your forearms as well. It's amazing how much bacteria makes it on to your arms.

It's a good episode and the black light test is a real eye opener.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:27 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:10:

Hard to tell from the trailer but at least there was nothing to indicate it would be bad. I will continue to hope for the best while expecting not too much and look forward to seeing it.
Trailer does not reveal much but I got goose bumps when Deckard appeared. I don't think I will be around in 2049 so the trailer will have to do.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:10 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 13:08 sauron

RoboNerd wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:56:
Mr. Blue,

Take it from a retired food safety professional - buy yourself a digital probe thermometer. And then USE it.

Seconded. I used to be a veterinarian, and we had to do food safety courses and meat inspection training in abattoirs. You do NOT want to see some of the infections coming down that line.

Needless to say I now choose my cuts of hobbit VERY carefully, and have my slaves cook them well.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 12:56 RoboNerd

Mr. Blue,

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 12:04 Mad Max RW

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 11:51 RedEye9

diamonds are used in plenty of machinery have numerous technological applications.
I was thinking of the 1930's DeBeers diamonds are forever campaign, their continued price fixing, creating an illusion of scarcity and blood diamonds.
I know they have other uses.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 10:59 Agent-Zero

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:54:
Necrophob wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:39:
Nothing beats chicken tartare, yikes.

Diamonds unlock man's ability to make a worthless stone a priceless commodity by controlling it's availability using any means necessary.

Being the hardest natural thing on Earth, they're hardly worthless
ever so useful as finger adornment

diamonds are used in plenty of machinery have numerous technological applications.. Rolleyes2

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 10:54 RedEye9

Necrophob wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:39:
Nothing beats chicken tartare, yikes.

Diamonds unlock man's ability to make a worthless stone a priceless commodity by controlling it's availability using any means necessary.

Being the hardest natural thing on Earth, they're hardly worthless
ever so useful as finger adornment

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo