Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Next Total War Plans

There's a new post on the Total War forums with a first look at what the Total War team at Creative Assembly is planning for their next strategy game (thanks GameWatcher). The most recent installment is the fantasy-themed Total War WARHAMMER, but they say they are returning to the historical roots of the series, and they have hired their first historic advisor to help with authenticity. Things are still at an early stage, but they say production will begin next year, and offer the following tidbits for now:
Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
With production getting fully underway in the new year, pre-production for our next historical major release continues. Also, we have now partnered with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far. Unfortunately there’s nothing more to report this month that wouldn’t give the game away before we’re ready

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal.

In related news, we’ve recently been looking at ways in which we might get back to historical content before we release the next major historical Total War, in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles. Nothing decided yet though.
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 17, 2016, 11:25 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 13:12:
Damn shame. I was really hoping they would try a shot at the WH40K universe, since this last one was so well recieved.

Total War: The Clone Wars

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 22:08 Numinar

Task wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 20:26:
I haven't purchased a TW since Rome 2. Maybe not the series for me anymore, it happens I guess, we'll see.

From what I understand they have two separate teams now. One for "Warhammer" TW and the regular core group that does the "Historical"-likes.

Yeah Rome 2 was probably a lot of people's last TW. A lot of that massive profit was from the good will inspired by the OG Rome which might still be the best one there was, though I think Shogun 2 and expansions gives it a run for it's money. Warhammer is great fun though. Hopefully they learnt some lessons about how to add depth to both strategic and battle layers without making it a clusterfuck of quasi abstract UI vomit. I wont pre-order these anymore (Unless a reliable MP partner gets the bug and goes all in, that tends to make even crappy games worth the price) but they always have my attention. Nobody else is doing this kind of thing.

10. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 20:26 Task

I haven't purchased a TW since Rome 2. Maybe not the series for me anymore, it happens I guess, we'll see.

From what I understand they have two separate teams now. One for "Warhammer" TW and the regular core group that does the "Historical"-likes.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

9. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 17:52 Emton

It better be Medieval III  

8. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 17:03 ShakyJake

I know I would be in the minority with how much less popular Empire was, but I would love to see that game revisited with all the updated mechanics the new games have developed.  

7. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 16:26 NotOneOfUs

Ancient China or WWI. That's what I want to see.  

6. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 14:17 Trevellian

Shogun 2 is still my favorite.  

-C22

5. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 13:48 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 13:12:
Damn shame. I was really hoping they would try a shot at the WH40K universe, since this last one was so well recieved.

WH40k would require planetary travel, deformable terrain, and it's pretty clear that would not happen with this engine. So as much as I agree, it will probably be China or Korea

4. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 13:12 VaranDragon

3. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 12:56 JSP

Do Total War, Ancient China set around 100 to 300 AD!  

2. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 10:41 grudgebearer

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 10:37:
I understand they make good money off of these, and I'll never begrudge fans of the series more games they enjoy, but how on earth are the devs not getting burned out? They've literally been making the same game for... what, almost 20 years now?

The stand out performer was Total War: Rome II, which managed to shift 1.13 million units across Europe and North America since its September 2013 release.

I don't think they get tired of the fat stacks they are making.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

1. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 10:37 Creston

I understand they make good money off of these, and I'll never begrudge fans of the series more games they enjoy, but how on earth are the devs not getting burned out? They've literally been making the same game for... what, almost 20 years now?  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >