Re: etc.
Dec 15, 2016, 21:16
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 21:16
Dec 15, 2016, 21:16

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 21:13:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 19:42:
Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 18:50:
nin wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 14:34:
IMO 3dfx is what drove those other companies to try and compete, and pushed d3d forward. W/o 3dfx and glide, I think software rendering would have stuck around for a lot longer...

you can also say Trump is good because he makes everyone realize that politics is bullshit... but I dont tend to rationalize things like that

I don't think nin is wrong. 3D cards before 3dfx, and most of the competition in the early years, was really lackluster. And there's no doubting that 3dfx was in it to make games better, selling an add-on board that did nothing else. Nvidia, Matrox, PowerVR and (most importantly) Microsoft would have been happy plodding along slowly for a few more years, maybe a lot of years.

I didn't even have a 3dfx card until the Banshee, but I don't doubt 3dfx and GLQuake gave 3D gaming a big push. You have 3dfx and market fragmentation on one hand, and on the other you're counting on Microsoft and their evergreen commitment to games. Without someone out there making them look bad, Microsoft generally gravitates towards ventures like GfWL, the Microsoft Store and the Microsoft Solitaire Collection. I don't bag on Microsoft nearly as much as most of the people here, but with the best will in the world it's hard to say that their motivation has generally been to benefit consumers by making something good. The Riva 128 was right about when Microsoft was in the thick of marketing using false comparisons and outright bullshit to knock down OpenGL. If there's any rationalization, I think that's where it is.

You can think whatever you like. It still doesnt make you or nin "correct".. or for that matter "incorrect". Its all subjective, thats the point. There is no way to prove any of this - the only thing you can really do is spin the history to suit your particular narrative.

But its the same kind of thing thats happening with VR right now... And Im sure that 20 years from now people will be arguing about the early days of VR in the exact same way and rooting for their particular home team as the ones who "made VR great again" or whatever. The point Im trying to make is that having Oculus only games or whatever is not a good idea. It was the same thing with 3dfx and Glide.

Again - IMO, propietary tech in a generalized field is not a good thing, and to call it good is rationalization. You disagree? Awesome, have at it. Again - its an opinion. You are welcome to whichever one you would like. Go vote for Trump, or do whatever - enjoy yourself and whatever soapbox you prefer to stand on.
When confused, agentorange decided that doubling down was the only way out.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Dec 15, 2016, 21:13
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 21:13
Dec 15, 2016, 21:13

IMO 3dfx is what drove those other companies to try and compete, and pushed d3d forward. W/o 3dfx and glide, I think software rendering would have stuck around for a lot longer...

you can also say Trump is good because he makes everyone realize that politics is bullshit... but I dont tend to rationalize things like that

I don't think nin is wrong. 3D cards before 3dfx, and most of the competition in the early years, was really lackluster. And there's no doubting that 3dfx was in it to make games better, selling an add-on board that did nothing else. Nvidia, Matrox, PowerVR and (most importantly) Microsoft would have been happy plodding along slowly for a few more years, maybe a lot of years.

I didn't even have a 3dfx card until the Banshee, but I don't doubt 3dfx and GLQuake gave 3D gaming a big push. You have 3dfx and market fragmentation on one hand, and on the other you're counting on Microsoft and their evergreen commitment to games. Without someone out there making them look bad, Microsoft generally gravitates towards ventures like GfWL, the Microsoft Store and the Microsoft Solitaire Collection. I don't bag on Microsoft nearly as much as most of the people here, but with the best will in the world it's hard to say that their motivation has generally been to benefit consumers by making something good. The Riva 128 was right about when Microsoft was in the thick of marketing using false comparisons and outright bullshit to knock down OpenGL. If there's any rationalization, I think that's where it is.

You can think whatever you like. It still doesnt make you or nin "correct".. or for that matter "incorrect". Its all subjective, thats the point. There is no way to prove any of this - the only thing you can really do is spin the history to suit your particular narrative.

But its the same kind of thing thats happening with VR right now... And Im sure that 20 years from now people will be arguing about the early days of VR in the exact same way and rooting for their particular home team as the ones who "made VR great again" or whatever. The point Im trying to make is that having Oculus only games or whatever is not a good idea. It was the same thing with 3dfx and Glide.

Again - IMO, propietary tech in a generalized field is not a good thing, and to call it good is rationalization. You disagree? Awesome, have at it. Again - its an opinion. You are welcome to whichever one you would like. Go vote for Trump, or do whatever - enjoy yourself and whatever soapbox you prefer to stand on.

Dec 15, 2016, 20:16
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 20:16
Dec 15, 2016, 20:16

A buddy of mine would have given his left nut for one of these
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/divers/v5-6000/v56kgb-6.htm

Dec 15, 2016, 19:42
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 19:42
Dec 15, 2016, 19:42

Dec 15, 2016, 19:39
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 19:39
Dec 15, 2016, 19:39

I'll just leave this here, shall I?

3DFX Tribute

There really was something awe-inspiring about 3DFX; everybody who came from software-rendering jaws dropped when they saw what 3DFX could do. Bad decisions - both on the technological and business sides - sealed their fate but there is no doubting that they greatly influenced gaming. Newer GPUs may be magnitudes more powerful but none of them create quite the same excitement as when I learned there was a new Voodoo card available for purchase...

Dec 15, 2016, 18:50
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 18:50
Dec 15, 2016, 18:50

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 13:53:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 13:14:
Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 12:49:
I had a nvidia RIVA 128 back then, so 3Dfx and their willful market fragmentation was unwelcome bullshit in my world. Im so glad they died and their bullshit proprietary API died with them.. or rather, got bought by nvidia and dismantled for parts.

But now it seems monopolies are no longer illegal, so who knows what comes next. Im just wondering if the Global Corp War of 20XX will be fought primarily between armies of robots or actual people. Maybe robots piloted by people? Or maybe even people piloted by robots? Those are the real questions.

You sir are completely off your rocker.

Am I? Or am I so on my rocker that it just blew your mind?

Dec 15, 2016, 18:29
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 18:29
Dec 15, 2016, 18:29

Oh, member Greedo?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Dec 15, 2016, 16:34
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 16:34
Dec 15, 2016, 16:34

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 15:31:
Oddly, while the article is new, the comments all say they're from 4 years ago.

They specify that it was originally run in May 2013 at the end of introduction. Some sort of retro / throwback thing, really not sure why they hid it, looks bad on them.

On point though, I'll always remember the first time I fired up Mechwarrior 2 after getting my 4MB Diamond Monster Voodoo 3d. FOUR WHOLE MEGABYTES!!!

Also really wish I had the chance to play more than just the demo of Interstate '76 back in the day.

Dec 15, 2016, 15:31
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 15:31
Dec 15, 2016, 15:31

Oddly, while the article is new, the comments all say they're from 4 years ago.

I loved my SLI voodoo2 setup. Didn't abandon it until I saw Quake 3 running on a GeForce card, and DAMN did that 32-bit color look better. Got one (think it was a GeForce 2, actually), and kept the v2s for the games that still only ran in Glide. That eventually faded away, but I've been an Nvidia guy pretty much ever since then. Got one ATI card, and it ran/behaved like shit. Was back when their drivers really were garbage. That sort of thing sticks with you, though. Nvidia may be pricey...but hot DAMN if my 1080 isn't a ridiculous monster.

Dec 15, 2016, 14:55
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 14:55
Dec 15, 2016, 14:55

Unreal was simply... unreal in its day on Glide. God that game was awesome.

Dec 15, 2016, 14:34
nin
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 14:34
Dec 15, 2016, 14:34
nin

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 13:53:
I had a nvidia RIVA 128 back then, so 3Dfx and their willful market fragmentation was unwelcome bullshit in my world. Im so glad they died and their bullshit proprietary API died with them.. or rather, got bought by nvidia and dismantled for parts.

But now it seems monopolies are no longer illegal, so who knows what comes next. Im just wondering if the Global Corp War of 20XX will be fought primarily between armies of robots or actual people. Maybe robots piloted by people? Or maybe even people piloted by robots? Those are the real questions.

Dec 15, 2016, 13:53
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 13:53
Dec 15, 2016, 13:53

Dec 15, 2016, 13:14
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 13:14
Dec 15, 2016, 13:14

Dec 15, 2016, 13:00
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 13:00
Dec 15, 2016, 13:00

nin wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 11:04:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 10:53:
I bought Unreal and my friend was into video games too and came over to me and my roommates house to check it out. He was floored with the original graphics...then he said he had heard of something called 3Dfx and wondered if it worked with Unreal. Never had I heard of such a thing until I went to a local computer store (remember those? ) and bought a Voodoo graphics card. Me and my friend installed it and when I started Unreal for the first time with the new card working I literally couldn't believe my eyes. Me and my friend just sat there with our mouths open watching the little fly-through that use to play automatically when you first started the game. Amazing time.

Unreal was the game that caused me to dump my stopgap (shitty) voodoo rush and replace it with a voodoo2.

That was quite the time to be alive, in 3d acceleration. Games were getting patches left and right, and the difference was mindblowing.

Two Voodoo 2 12meg cards in sli, Lan parties, playing coop Unreal. Them were the days. And Quake never looked so good.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Dec 15, 2016, 12:49
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 12:49
Dec 15, 2016, 12:49

Dec 15, 2016, 11:04
nin
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 11:04
Dec 15, 2016, 11:04
nin

SlimRam wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 10:53:
I bought Unreal and my friend was into video games too and came over to me and my roommates house to check it out. He was floored with the original graphics...then he said he had heard of something called 3Dfx and wondered if it worked with Unreal. Never had I heard of such a thing until I went to a local computer store (remember those? ) and bought a Voodoo graphics card. Me and my friend installed it and when I started Unreal for the first time with the new card working I literally couldn't believe my eyes. Me and my friend just sat there with our mouths open watching the little fly-through that use to play automatically when you first started the game. Amazing time.

Unreal was the game that caused me to dump my stopgap (shitty) voodoo rush and replace it with a voodoo2.

That was quite the time to be alive, in 3d acceleration. Games were getting patches left and right, and the difference was mindblowing.

Dec 15, 2016, 10:53
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 10:53
Dec 15, 2016, 10:53

With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Dec 15, 2016, 09:50
Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 09:50
Dec 15, 2016, 09:50

I remember having to get a pass through cable made for my card. The supplied one was too short, and for some reason (It's too long ago to remember why) off the shelf male to male VGA cables didn't work. Sure made Quake II look nice though.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older