Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight

Space Hulk: Deathwing is now available on Steam, offering a first-person shooter set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. This post covers the release, and outlines all the improvements Streum On Studio made over the early access version. Here's a bit, including word that controllers are not supported at this time:
Here are some of the highlights with regards to bug-fixes and improvements in the release version:

• Much faster loading times
    • Loading times are reduced by rougly 40-50% on average.
  • Huge performance increase
    • The game should run more smoothly in most situations across all hardware.
  • Crash Fixes & Massive debug
    • The vast majority of crashes and bugs from the Beta have been fixed.
  • GUI improvements
    • The GUI has been updated according to Beta players' feedback.
  • Balancing
    • Changes regarding some multiplayer classes and difficulty values.
  • Localization improvements & debugging
    • Localization is almost final. Added some indications on the tutorial keybinds.
  • SFX Iteration
    • Belial and Librarian voices have been updated according to Beta players' feedback.
  • Controller debugging
    • Controllers aren't officially supported at release. Controllers previously corrupted keybindings. This is no longer the case, and the controller mapping has been updated. We're not 100% satisfied yet with controller support, and we strongly advise you to play with keyboard and mouse for now.
  • New Optional Multiplayer Game Mode: Codex Rules
    • Class change during mission disabled.
    • Equipment changing during mission disabled.
    • Progression and XP system deactivated, with access to all equipment unlocked from the start.
    • All skills and equipment are unlocked from the start.
    • Respawn is limited.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 15, 2016, 08:42 Wallshadows

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 04:38:
Wallshadows wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 19:35:
I'm not trying to do mental gymnastics but it's kind of funny how nearly all bad reviews are those who have less than an hour on the game.

First impression's count. Especially with Steam. If you can't deliver in two hours, it's a free refund

They do count but context matters when you call something bad especially when you don't even have enough play time for the first mission which is nothing short of amazing. If anything, I'd compare that first mission to the first few missions of AvP 2 for the Marine minus the jump scares. Totally atmospheric and a little spooky.

I didn't see any issues I experienced over the beta except for awkward performance drops. Like chugging along at 50 - 60 fps and then crashing down to single-digits for a couple seconds when entering the cathedral hall.

As far as single player is concerned, money well spent. I'll be giving co-op a try with my friend later today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 15, 2016, 04:38 The Half Elf

I'm not trying to do mental gymnastics but it's kind of funny how nearly all bad reviews are those who have less than an hour on the game.

First impression's count. Especially with Steam. If you can't deliver in two hours, it's a free refund

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

5. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 15, 2016, 02:53 VaranDragon

AlexSledge wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 21:54:
I am enjoying it, and am glad I spent the money. I've been a fan of Space Hulk for multiple decades, and am impressed with the visuals and gameplay of Deathwing. It has area for improvement in UI, some loading times, and other miscellany, but the core play itself feels Space Hulk.

Will be interesting to see if this dev team has the chops to make it a polished title over the next few patches.

The singleplayer is pretty great so far. For 27,99 Euros I got a great Space Hulk FPS game, something I've been waiting for since 1996. I haven't experienced any game breaking bugs, hasn't crashed once and the framerate is pretty solid. My rig is an i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, and a GTX970 (Win7).
Most of the complaints seem to be with the multiplayer which seems to be glitchy but TBH I haven't tried it yet, and most of the complaints are focused on the technical side of things.
I think Doom's multiplayer is in a much worse state and I don't see anyone dissing that game that much, even though it cost a whole lot more.

P.S. Oh and as for the loads, I do have the game installed on an SSD, and the load times are virtually non-existant, so again it might be some kind of multiplayer thing. (The game has to wait for the slowest player's PC to load the assets).

4. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 14, 2016, 21:54 AlexSledge

I am enjoying it, and am glad I spent the money. I've been a fan of Space Hulk for multiple decades, and am impressed with the visuals and gameplay of Deathwing. It has area for improvement in UI, some loading times, and other miscellany, but the core play itself feels Space Hulk.

Will be interesting to see if this dev team has the chops to make it a polished title over the next few patches.

I should be coding.

3. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 14, 2016, 19:58 Task

Some friends of mine got this, I guess I'll see what they say. I'm interested to see if anyone attempts to mod stuff (if it is in any shape or form moddable that is).  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

2. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 14, 2016, 19:51 Agent-Zero

you are just seeing what you want to see - if you actually look at all the bad reviews, most of them are over 1 hour...

btw almost everyone has around 1 - 5 hours played, especially since it just got released..

1. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Takes Flight Dec 14, 2016, 19:35 Wallshadows

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >