Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Descent: Underground Next Year?

Descent: Underground is currently in early access on Steam, offering an early crack at this 6DoF shooter revival. This beta version became available there over a year ago, so Swiss site GBase.ch contacted the developers at Descendent Studios to ask when early access would give way to a full release. Their question was in German, but the answer is English, and they offer a vague timeline that indicates this will come some time after March of next year:
Our current plan is to complete development of our single-player campaign around March of 2017 and to release out of Early Access shortly thereafter. We are a small, independent team, so of course that timeline is subject to change.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 19:09 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 18:59:
Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 17:18:
Guys..guys! Forget this Descent-wannabe trash! (and those screens on STEAM look horrible) I found the real successor to Descent! Not only does it play good and look the part, it has a DEMO ON STEAM! Check it! You won't be disappointed, I promise!

It's called 'Overload'
http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/

=-Rigs-=

If memory serves this is created by the people behind original Descent.

My biggest gripe with D:U is ship handling. It's been more than a decade but I distinctly remember the 6DoF control of ships was almost perfect. The last few times I played D:U it feels like I'm flying around in a camera with a ship HUD attached. There's no feeling of control. Kind of a bad thing to have for a game focused on ship to ship combat in tunnels.

Yes, Overload is made by several original devs of Descent. I consider it to be the true sequel to the older original series. It has 'that feeling' that is apparently missing in Underground. Seriously, play the demo, you'll be right back where you were in the original. The AI is very good and the levels LOOK like they would if you took Descent and upgraded it to today's graphics. And it's not built with a multiplayer-centric theme, as Underground is. There's two missions in the demo plus an arcade gauntlet-mode to see how long you can survive. I've personally gotten 44 kills before dying but the AI is pretty brutal. Not to mention the AI robots blow up in a very satisfying way. The weapons feel right and the levels are laid out just like in Descent. You even have only 10 seconds to get to the exit after destroying the reactor.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 18:59 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 17:18:
Guys..guys! Forget this Descent-wannabe trash! (and those screens on STEAM look horrible) I found the real successor to Descent! Not only does it play good and look the part, it has a DEMO ON STEAM! Check it! You won't be disappointed, I promise!

It's called 'Overload'

=-Rigs-=

If memory serves this is created by the people behind original Descent.

My biggest gripe with D:U is ship handling. It's been more than a decade but I distinctly remember the 6DoF control of ships was almost perfect. The last few times I played D:U it feels like I'm flying around in a camera with a ship HUD attached. There's no feeling of control. Kind of a bad thing to have for a game focused on ship to ship combat in tunnels.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 17:32 ViRGE

Darks wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 10:51:
Boring!!!
Well it's a game that takes place in mining tunnels. So yeah, I'd hope there's some boring going on.

13. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 17:18 Rigs

It's called 'Overload'

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2016, 17:23.

12. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:41 Darth Binky

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 14:32:
Um... hasn't Decent ALWAYS been Underground?

Descent 3 had outdoor environments (and then there was FreeSpace, as mentioned). But for the most part, yeah, it was underground.

11. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:27 Watter

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 16:10:
Pretty much done with CF/EA projects.
Having been down a few failed game fundings myself, one can hardly fault you feeling that way, but I look at Descent and it seems to be coming along at about the rate I was expecting. Is it a great game right now? Nope, but many of the core pieces needed to get there are in place. I tend to be pretty patient with these projects as long as they don't actually stall out, and so far the team behind Descent have been moving along; slowly, but still moving.

10. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:24 El Pit

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 12:01:
Based on its current state, they have a LOT of work to do if they want this to come out then in any kind of Descent state.

FTFY!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

9. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:10 Kxmode

siapnar wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 15:58:
Can't believe this is what they ended up with after getting all that crowdfunding money

I keep asking myself that same question after dropping $50 on the project. Pretty much done with CF/EA projects. Battletech was my last.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:08 Kxmode

This one goes deeper!

7. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:08 Kxmode

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 12:01:
Based on its current state, they have a LOT of work to do if they want this to come out then in any kind of decent state.

badum tish

6. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 15:58 siapnar

Can't believe this is what they ended up with after getting all that crowdfunding money  

5. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 14:48 GinRummy

They eventually went into space... Free Space.

4. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 14:32 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

3. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 12:43 Darth Binky

I loved the Descent games. Years ago I played with a group of buddies at work. You could always tell who was playing Descent just by watching people's heads rotate as they tried to track their ship movement in the game.

Good times...

2. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 12:01 Parallax Abstraction

Based on its current state, they have a LOT of work to do if they want this to come out then in any kind of decent state.  

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

1. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 10:51 Darks

Boring!!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >