Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Metaverse

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 13, 2016, 01:09 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 13:43:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 17:43:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 15:40:
PewDiePie works 50-60 hours per week. I've done video editing, and it takes a lot of time. I'm not saying it isn't an easy life, but it is a full time job for these top earners.

A lot of people work 50-60 hours per week for a minuscule fraction of what he makes. Can't really feel his pain.

Nor should you. I think someone mentioned that these guys make millions working 2 hours a week, but I wanted to push back on that. My son has a couple of favorite youtubers he watches, and with all the editing, added effects, etc. you can tell that a lot of work goes into each video. These guys are a one-person TV production studio as well as being the "star." And while a few make thousands or millions, most don't have that audience and are lucky to make a few bucks for their efforts.

Yeah, no doubt that it's hard work and even harder to get to a level where you start making serious money. I can respect that effort.

Complaining that you're not making enough when you're making millions, and more than practically everyone else? That's just ridiculous. A guy making as much as Pewdiepie does could easily hire an entire production crew and still be making wildly ridiculous amounts of money for doing a fraction of the work.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 13:44 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 09:36:
I wish it was actually warming here. I'm sick of getting up before dawn and cleaning snow until long after the sun goes down day after day for what feels like half the year

Just wait a couple of decades. Global warming will take care of that pesky snow for ya.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

44. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 12, 2016, 13:43 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 17:43:
PewDiePie works 50-60 hours per week. I've done video editing, and it takes a lot of time. I'm not saying it isn't an easy life, but it is a full time job for these top earners.

A lot of people work 50-60 hours per week for a minuscule fraction of what he makes. Can't really feel his pain.

Nor should you. I think someone mentioned that these guys make millions working 2 hours a week, but I wanted to push back on that. My son has a couple of favorite youtubers he watches, and with all the editing, added effects, etc. you can tell that a lot of work goes into each video. These guys are a one-person TV production studio as well as being the "star." And while a few make thousands or millions, most don't have that audience and are lucky to make a few bucks for their efforts.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

43. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 12:35 Beamer

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:29:
Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:14:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 10:37:
So what are you personally doing about it?

Gosh we're saving the universe by recycling and buying an electric car! Is that what you wanted to hear? What do you think we're doing? We're doing the same thing as most sensible people, trying to limit our impact by reducing our carbon footprint. That basically starts with your household and your vehicle for most people. I'm also trying to raise awareness rather than spreading disinformation about it. What we can do as individuals is important but it really needs to be addressed on both a societal and worldwide level, just like we addressed the ozone crisis. That was ironically one of the few UN successes.

Good. You're doing your part and should leave it at that. But you won't because you're too fucking bored. What exactly do you want everyone else to do? Should individuals be thrown in jail for owning a car that runs on gas? Will we bomb nations that refuse to stop burning coal? Poor people in third world countries don't care about this stuff. This is a rich person problem. Most people working day to day never contemplate their carbon footprint. Maybe just kill all the undesirables because it's so much easier. How about selectively culling the world population for the good of the environment? Make farts illegal.

Does this stuff keep you up at night? If so then get a grip already.

You either oppose basic scientific consensus or you're demanding we bomb coal-burning nations and killing undesirables!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 12:12 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 12:06:
Good. You're doing your part and should leave it at that. But you won't because you're too fucking bored. What exactly do you want everyone else to do? Should individuals be thrown in jail for owning a car that runs on gas? Will we bomb nations that refuse to stop burning coal? Poor people in third world countries don't care about this stuff. This is a rich person problem. Most people working day to day never contemplate their carbon footprint. Maybe just kill all the undesirables because it's so much easier. How about selectively culling the world population for the good of the environment? Make farts illegal.

You're not going to get under my skin with this ridiculous hyperbole Max, you should know better. "kill the undesirables" was my favorite bit, well done Biggrin I'm going to do my part and ask others to do theirs because it affects all of us, rich people or poor. We've worked together before on this issue and it didn't hurt industry or kill poor people in world industry.

Well said and agreed. I can't help trying to push buttons in these topics. You know there's a lot of people who get all hot and bothered every time. But you're a good dude.

41. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 12:06 Verno

You're not going to get under my skin with this ridiculous hyperbole Max, you should know better. "kill the undesirables" was my favorite bit, well done Biggrin I'm going to do my part and ask others to do theirs because it affects all of us, rich people or poor. We've worked together before on this issue and it didn't hurt industry or kill poor people in the third world.

Edit: bad grammar

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2016, 12:28.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

40. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 11:29 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:14:

Gosh we're saving the universe by recycling and buying an electric car! Is that what you wanted to hear? What do you think we're doing? We're doing the same thing as most sensible people, trying to limit our impact by reducing our carbon footprint. That basically starts with your household and your vehicle for most people. I'm also trying to raise awareness rather than spreading disinformation about it. What we can do as individuals is important but it really needs to be addressed on both a societal and worldwide level, just like we addressed the ozone crisis. That was ironically one of the few UN successes.

39. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 11:14 Verno

38. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 10:37 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 09:54:
Climate change is real and we need to address it.

37. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 09:54 Verno

I think his point was more that you're being selective to suit your view point and I would agree with that. It is kind of strange to say here are 5 examples that scientists were wrong when we have thousands of examples of climate science being accurate. Consensus was long ago reached, we're just quibbling at this point. Saying science and research have to be perfect otherwise we can't trust it is just being silly. It's also important to narrow the scope here. Using examples of predictions about natural gas are flawed because new techniques and exploration have revealed new sources of it. We probably won't find new sources of ice in the Arctic circle and the growth in Antarctic ice isn't offset by the massive losses there. We probably aren't going to invent a machine to help regulate the temperature of the oceans on a planetary scale any time soon.

I had a look at the Breitbart link posted earlier and wasn't impressed. One of the citations is a contentless blog, another is a birther who has also retracted much of his claims in the past when confronted and it all reads like junk science. One of the citation links had a side bar that claimed arctic ice was increasing 50,000kmē which is frankly nonsense as numerous ice shelf studies have shown.

I'm a fairly Conservative voter and this shit is embarrassing. Climate change is real and we need to address it. We've been here before. I remember there was all sorts of denial from industry about the hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica which was caused by widespread use of CFCs. Back before the internet they took out advertisements and tried to lobby politicians. We ignored the shit from industry and our leaders pressed on, decades later its finally starting to heal due to decisive action. Now we've discovered that some of our actions are again harming the planet which could in turn hurt our way of life in the future. It makes perfect sense to address them now and minimize the impact later. It's frustrating that there is even controversy about this, we know it to be true and people are quibbling about whether it was warmer in their neck of the woods or not last year as if that proves or disproves anything. I hate it when people cast you into the far left about this too. I don't give a shit about making life better for the dolphins, I do care about the massive impact this will have on business in the future.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2016, 10:13.

36. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 12, 2016, 09:36 Mad Max RW

I wish it was actually warming here. I'm sick of getting up before dawn and cleaning snow until long after the sun goes down day after day for what feels like half the year  

35. No subject Dec 12, 2016, 05:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 10:57:

More importantly, go read this article and tell me with a straight face you're trusting a wordpress blog and a site that brazenly posts fake news regularly over actual meteorologists.

Right-o. Ask for facts that the media has done bullshit, gets tromped. Whines and complains when actual citations are given, cries that something is fake when you can cross-reference everything that's listed. Complains that something is fake news when all of the bullshit being pushed is handed to them on a platter.

Then tries to switch the direction. So I'm guessing you support building hundreds of large-scale nuclear power plants right? If you "care about a sustainable future for your kids" you should be. And you're 100% against garbage like "wind power and solar power" except in areas where it will actually pay for itself, instead of driving the cost of electricity so high that record numbers of people are being disconnected, like here in Ontario.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 11, 2016, 17:43 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 17:30 Retired

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 11:20:
Retired wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 11:05:
How awesome their life is they have to complain about working 2 hours a day and making MILLIONS. boooohoooo.
While I agree in general with the sentiment, the work required to post quality YouTube videos is generally underestimated. Especially for Let's Play posters who play many hours and edit it down to a palatable 20-30 minute video.

Do not mistake this as a defense for PewDiePie...

He reminds me of cry baby NFL players that do sit-ups in their driveway for the cameras and t hen get mad they don't get a new contract. Or say things like "My kids gotta eat".

32. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 15:40 jdreyer

How awesome their life is they have to complain about working 2 hours a day and making MILLIONS. boooohoooo.
While I agree in general with the sentiment, the work required to post quality YouTube videos is generally underestimated. Especially for Let's Play posters who play many hours and edit it down to a palatable 20-30 minute video.

31. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 11:59 Slick

NKD wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 15:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 14:52:
WaltC wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 13:50:
Fake News From the Weather Channel, even! Funny, but not surprising
Something even you can wrap your brain around.
https://xkcd.com/1732

WaltC still can't wrap his head around segregation ending, and you expect him to comprehend climate change?

I peed a little laughing at this.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

30. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 11:44 Mr. Tact

Haha, just watched a video from a guy I watch occasionally talking about the complaining all the YouTubers are doing. I think he hit the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUJxuYqRQk

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 11:31 Dacote

Saboth wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 00:11:
WaltC wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 13:50:
Fake News From the Weather Channel, even! Funny, but not surprising

A fake news site (Breitbart) calling a legit news source "fake". That's rich. Call me when Breitbart has actual climate scientists working for them and can present some factual studies.
/thead

28. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 11:30 Mr. Tact

BTW -- on the topic of YouTubers..

I would encourage anyone who watches a particular YouTuber on a regular basis to support them via Patreon, assuming they are signed up and not in the YouTube top 100 earners. A single dollar once a month is more money to them than hundreds of hours of views assuming you aren't running an ad blocker. I'm currently supporting five people I watch on a semi-regular basis for a total of $9 a month.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 11, 2016, 11:21 Retired

Understood, as I know we have youtubers who do hundreds of hours a week that visit here for gamer stuff, but those top 10 are idiots for what they make and do.....money would be better spent on those who we know around here.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo