Out of the Blue

As part of a generation that grew up idolizing astronauts, I am saddened by the news of John Glenn's passing, even if 95 years is what we like to call a good run. Though I know the film doesn't get too bogged down in complete accuracy, I think the news may inspire a re-watching of The Right Stuff. I love that movie, and it will be fun seeing the man in black light that candle again.

R.I.P.: Greg Lake- King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69.

The Right Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Idle Sword 2.
NBA Jam Tournament Edition.
Stories: ‘Jeopardy!’ Contestant Who Died a Week Before Her Episode Airs Will Make Posthumous Appearance.
Online Westworld Theories Affected The Cast, Fans, and Season 2. Thanks io9 via Ant.
Images: Happy happy happy happy happy happy. Thanks Kxmode.
Media: The First Spider-Man- Homecoming Trailers Are Here, Guest-Starring Iron Man. Thanks nin.
GIANT Star Wars AT-AT Garden Den. Thanks Neutronbeam.
The Hateful Thing on Vimeo. Thanks Boing Boing.
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 9, 2016, 21:50
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 21:50
Dec 9, 2016, 21:50

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 15:03:
A wee tear jerker
John Glenn, the real hero was his wife

Yep, gonna have to watch The Right Stuff again.

Indeed, great story Redeye.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 9, 2016, 21:41
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 21:41
Dec 9, 2016, 21:41

SlimRam wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 11:13:
In the plus column, Kirk Douglas turns 100 today! Amazingly enough, his wife is 97 and they have been together 62 years and are still together. I'm pretty sure I would NEVER live this long nor would I want to but it is an amazing feat.

NOOOOOOO!!!1 GODDAMN YOU 2016!!!!

Oh, wait. He's alive. Never mind.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Dec 9, 2016, 17:25
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 17:25
Dec 9, 2016, 17:25

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 16:49:
They want a younger guy for Spider-Man because they want him for a long run of several movies. New guy is 20 now (so even younger for Civil War) and has a serious baby-face, but that's in contrast to Tobey Maguire barely passing for a high schooler in his first film and then looking like a tired old man in the third. Because he was one, in his thirties! Now that Sony is [finally] teaming up with Disney/Marvel and folding Spidey into the MCU, they're going to do it right and this kid is gonna be around for at least ten years like the rest of the Avengers.

I'd advocated for an older Spiderman a few times. Back in the Spiderman 1/2/3 days, I thought it would be interesting to replace Tobey McGuire with Jake Gillanheal, as both look similar but Jake is less wide-eyed. He'd have made a good continuation of Peter Parker now being more assertive and cynical.

Then, when they started talking reboot, I thought older again, because we'd seen younger.

Then I saw Civil War, and yes, this guy is perfect. Andrew Garfield was terrible as Spiderman. He's a good actor, but in the suit I found him overacting to compensate for us not seeing him, and rather than playful banter I found his words arrogant and obnoxious. This kid? Feels like Peter Parker, just swept up and enthusiastic and sarcastic.

Dec 9, 2016, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 17:19
Dec 9, 2016, 17:19

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 14:59:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 13:22:
Can someone remind me when the Steam winter sale is going to start. There was an estimated time, leaked about a week back. Naturally I forgot to write it down.

Edit: Looks like it might be Dec 22.
It's a real website http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/
Haha, a website countdown, thanks!
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Dec 9, 2016, 16:49
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 16:49
Dec 9, 2016, 16:49

They want a younger guy for Spider-Man because they want him for a long run of several movies. New guy is 20 now (so even younger for Civil War) and has a serious baby-face, but that's in contrast to Tobey Maguire barely passing for a high schooler in his first film and then looking like a tired old man in the third. Because he was one, in his thirties! Now that Sony is [finally] teaming up with Disney/Marvel and folding Spidey into the MCU, they're going to do it right and this kid is gonna be around for at least ten years like the rest of the Avengers.

Dec 9, 2016, 15:03
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 15:03
Dec 9, 2016, 15:03

A wee tear jerker
John Glenn, the real hero was his wife

Yep, gonna have to watch The Right Stuff again.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Dec 9, 2016, 15:00
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 15:00
Dec 9, 2016, 15:00

Re: R.I.P.: Greg Lake- King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69.

Two of ELP gone in the same year...

Greg Lake was one of my favorite vocalists, I was fortunate enough to see ELP during the Works Tour in 1977.

Thank You Mr. Lake, well done. Lighter

Dec 9, 2016, 14:59
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 14:59
Dec 9, 2016, 14:59

Can someone remind me when the Steam winter sale is going to start. There was an estimated time, leaked about a week back. Naturally I forgot to write it down.

It's a real website http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Dec 9, 2016, 14:34
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 14:34
Dec 9, 2016, 14:34

Yeah, generally Dec 22. - Jan 2.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Dec 9, 2016, 13:22
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 13:22
Dec 9, 2016, 13:22

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Dec 9, 2016, 11:27
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 11:27
Dec 9, 2016, 11:27

New trailer for War for the Planet of the Apes. Can't wait for it. However, we already know how it runs out, right?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Dec 9, 2016, 11:23
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 11:23
Dec 9, 2016, 11:23

SlimRam wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 11:13:
In the plus column, Kirk Douglas turns 100 today! Amazingly enough, his wife is 97 and they have been together 62 years and are still together. I'm pretty sure I would NEVER live this long nor would I want to but it is an amazing feat.

The man has always been one of my all time favorite actors. In fact I'd probably rate him my #2 right behind Paul Newman. All his work from Spartacus to Seven Days in May. His best work - which is also his personal favorite film and mine - is Lonely Are The Brave. It's a must see film.

Dec 9, 2016, 11:17
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 11:17
Dec 9, 2016, 11:17

Enh, really tired of Marvel's formulaic flicks. I do like the new costume however. I still feel they should be casting a slightly more 'matoor' Peter Parker in his early 20s. When they cast the kids they don't come off as the intelligent, wisecracking guy that Spidey is but just smartass punks. I guess I always liked how they portrayed Spidey in the old 1960s cartoon. That guy had the coolest voice and the show had the best music.

Dec 9, 2016, 11:13
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 11:13
Dec 9, 2016, 11:13

With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older