Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 7, 2016, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 00:07:
well if you think the mainstream media provides reliable information where were you the last year or so? I actually dreaded the news these past few months with all the disinformation on the election. Especially CNN and the NYT. I think the Daily Enquirer would put them to shame. Certainly not a Trump fan, but the way the media treated stories about him, they certainly could make a spec of dust look like a major mountain.

No, his supporters and surrogates were just willing to excuse and defend every horrible thing he did. The media were absolutely correct to report on these things.

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 00:07:
I think all the media dips into the fake news category at times these days to sell their networks. Especially if it does not jive with their political leanings. I generally have to check out a story that interests me on multiple networks to get the true story as all tend to shade the story. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

I'll agree that they often report on things before they get all the facts in or the context needed to report it fully. That's generally the 24x7 cable networks and some of the major internet outlets that feel the need to be constantly posting new info even before they have all the facts.

That's still a lot different than the crap we see coming out of sites like Infowars and others that are peddling outright manufactured bullshit. Or even stuff like the link I posted a few posts back where a cherry-picked fact was being taken out of context to spin a tale of complete and utter bullshit.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 00:07 Ozmodan

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 16:14:
I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

Yeah I like the person that thinks all the mainstream is all wrong and that national enquirer stuff is now correct. Obviously something went sideways with such individuals. To really think that, that has to be a miserable life, a meglo's life, one big setup against you and only you.

Yeah, I realized I had it set up wrong, then brainfarted even further. At least it was a funny mistake.

I agree that it's frightening that some people think all the legitimate news outlets are bad. None of them are perfect, but none of them are awful. Typically, the ones that think CNN or the WSJ orThe New York Times are always wrong (and, admittedly, CNN is "wrong" way more frequently now than it was a decade ago, as it focuses more heavily on what people tune in to [editorials] and less on just reporting what happens) are the same ones that think Russia Today, Alex Jones, Prison Planet, and the like are the only "real" sources.
well if you think the mainstream media provides reliable information where were you the last year or so? I actually dreaded the news these past few months with all the disinformation on the election. Especially CNN and the NYT. I think the Daily Enquirer would put them to shame. Certainly not a Trump fan, but the way the media treated stories about him, they certainly could make a spec of dust look like a major mountain.

I think all the media dips into the fake news category at times these days to sell their networks. Especially if it does not jive with their political leanings. I generally have to check out a story that interests me on multiple networks to get the true story as all tend to shade the story. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 22:25 RedEye9

Quboid wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:29:
I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

Yeah I like the person that thinks all the mainstream is all wrong and that national enquirer stuff is now correct. Obviously something went sideways with such individuals. To really think that, that has to be a miserable life, a meglo's life, one big setup against you and only you.

Yeah, I realized I had it set up wrong, then brainfarted even further. At least it was a funny mistake.

I agree that it's frightening that some people think all the legitimate news outlets are bad. None of them are perfect, but none of them are awful. Typically, the ones that think CNN or the WSJ orThe New York Times are always wrong (and, admittedly, CNN is "wrong" way more frequently now than it was a decade ago, as it focuses more heavily on what people tune in to [editorials] and less on just reporting what happens) are the same ones that think Russia Today, Alex Jones, Prison Planet, and the like are the only "real" sources.

Yep it is so upside down right now, I'm unsure what to do about it. If a Dem had any tie whatsoever with Russia the Commie word comes out right now, but I've heard more about Russia being ok under the new regime and it goes without question from their followers. What gives? They still blast Dems for Commie China deals as if rep corp types didn't eat that up... Nothing is adding up right now. It does seem we are being driven by fear, which that doesn't surprise, we haven't been the "Home of the brave" for sometime.

It is funny what sticks we us, I had a large impression while having some friends out from GA 2 years ago, the wife of a couple (60's) seriously lives in fear of terrorism, as if it is imminent, it only tells me how well Fox News works on people. I don't like it, who does? But I can't say I wake up worrying about it.

At the risk of sounding preachy and elitist, I think a lot of people have realised that right-wing news organisations have lied to them a lot, but those lies are too ingrained for them to be willing or able to believe more central or left-wing news, and so go deeper down the rabbit hole instead.

I think comments about how the mainstream media lied to us about Iraq are quite telling, if this sentiment is widespread. Very broadly speaking, the right-wing media lied. The left-wing media was telling us that removing Saddam would create a power vacuum in which a more dangerous foe could rise, someone who could actually be a danger to the West. Well shit, whaddayaknow. This satire, written at the time, sums up the public discourse frighteningly well. "10 or 15 years" FFS!

One of my parents, I wouldn't say they live in fear of terrorism but they clearly think the world is a dangerous place these days. You lived through thousands dying in Northern Ireland in The Troubles! We knew not to cower then and (being concentrated in a small area) that was far more dangerous to us. They also think there's too many immigrants (i.e. potential terrorists), despite virtually never interacting with anyone who isn't British or Irish (i.e. good folk, just ignore all the actual terrorism). But the people who lied about Iraq say there's too many and they wouldn't lie!
Thanks, that was classic http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpost/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-regio-11534

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 6, 2016, 20:03 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 19:40:
speaking of fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YwIkknxE8E

Small potatoes compared to the real fake stuff going around. At least that isn't likely to entice someone to shoot up a restaurant.

Here's a good example of tier 3 though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhdymoRTz6M

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 20:39.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 19:40 DangerDog

speaking of fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YwIkknxE8E

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 19:16 eRe4s3r

Steazy wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 16:10:
WaltC wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 15:25:
Obama basically wishes to label any "news" that contradicts him or the national Democrat party as "fake news"...another pretext, like 'net neutrality,' for regulating Internet speech and content...

The left wants nothing more than to control what we read and what we write and is using every "fake" trick in the book to try and get that control. Horrible and 100% anti-American.

In response to Trump Advisor Blackburn Wants ISPs to Pull Fake News Offline

Oooooooooookay.

It's called cognitive dissonance or post-factual thinking. (the "felt" reality vs the "real" reality)

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 17:50 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:29:

Yep it is so upside down right now, I'm unsure what to do about it. If a Dem had any tie whatsoever with Russia the Commie word comes out right now, but I've heard more about Russia being ok under the new regime and it goes without question from their followers. What gives? They still blast Dems for Commie China deals as if rep corp types didn't eat that up... Nothing is adding up right now. It does seem we are being driven by fear, which that doesn't surprise, we haven't been the "Home of the brave" for sometime.

It is funny what sticks we us, I had a large impression while having some friends out from GA 2 years ago, the wife of a couple (60's) seriously lives in fear of terrorism, as if it is imminent, it only tells me how well Fox News works on people. I don't like it, who does? But I can't say I wake up worrying about it.

At the risk of sounding preachy and elitist, I think a lot of people have realised that right-wing news organisations have lied to them a lot, but those lies are too ingrained for them to be willing or able to believe more central or left-wing news, and so go deeper down the rabbit hole instead.

I think comments about how the mainstream media lied to us about Iraq are quite telling, if this sentiment is widespread. Very broadly speaking, the right-wing media lied. The left-wing media was telling us that removing Saddam would create a power vacuum in which a more dangerous foe could rise, someone who could actually be a danger to the West. Well shit, whaddayaknow. This satire, written at the time, sums up the public discourse frighteningly well. "10 or 15 years" FFS!

One of my parents, I wouldn't say they live in fear of terrorism but they clearly think the world is a dangerous place these days. You lived through thousands dying in Northern Ireland in The Troubles! We knew not to cower then and (being concentrated in a small area) that was far more dangerous to us. They also think there's too many immigrants (i.e. potential terrorists), despite virtually never interacting with anyone who isn't British or Irish (i.e. good folk, just ignore all the actual terrorism). But the people who lied about Iraq say there's too many and they wouldn't lie!

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 18:07.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 17:43 Beamer

My parents live in fear of terrorism. They're convinced that the world is so much more dangerous today, I point out it's just that the dangerousness is covered and focused more.

I'll also point out that white terrorists have killed far more people than brown ones in the US. At one point (we actually discuss this rarely, but I was annoyed one night) my mom did admit that a lot of her fears come from living in a place where it's an endless sea of white people and that she has very little interaction with other races and sure, some fears come from that, but is it her fault she never had the opportunity to get to know them? I said of course not, but it is her fault that she lives in fear of them despite them being, y'know, just Americans.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 17:29 HorrorScope

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 17:20 Beamer

-------------

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 16:38 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 15:44:
WaltC is exactly what I mean when I say some people think "Fake news" is "news I don't like" rather than actual news fabricated solely for clicks.

Seems that way. I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

Well said Beamer, aside from your weird dual-bottom, and excellent example of tier #2 by WaltC. There was someone else on here criticising the media because there was more negative news about Trump than Clinton, another bafflingly juvenile attitude.

Mainstream media organisations, for all their many faults, are more reliable than that fringe website where you read that article that validated your ideological beliefs.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 16:14 HorrorScope

WaltC is exactly what I mean when I say some people think "Fake news" is "news I don't like" rather than actual news fabricated solely for clicks.

Seems that way. I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 16:10 Steazy

WaltC wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 15:25:
Obama basically wishes to label any "news" that contradicts him or the national Democrat party as "fake news"...another pretext, like 'net neutrality,' for regulating Internet speech and content...

The left wants nothing more than to control what we read and what we write and is using every "fake" trick in the book to try and get that control. Horrible and 100% anti-American.

In response to Trump Advisor Blackburn Wants ISPs to Pull Fake News Offline

Oooooooooookay.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 16:02 RedEye9

But we already knew that.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 15:44 Beamer

-------------

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 15:25 WaltC

Only "fake news" I've seen all year long has come from CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS & Fox--not exactly in that order in terms of most quantity to the least--but it's close. Obama basically wishes to label any "news" that contradicts him or the national Democrat party as "fake news"...another pretext, like 'net neutrality,' for regulating Internet speech and content--which has been a goal of the Democrats for a long time. The only good thing that has come out of this is that a majority of Americans reject fake news (propaganda) when they see it, else Trump would never have been elected.

I've never seen an election characterized by so many lies about a candidate, Trump, as I've seen this year. It was a long time ago, but they didn't lie nearly as bad about Goldwater (R) or George Wallace (D)--although the liberal press lied pretty hard even then--as they have lied about Trump all year long. But that was long ago when truth was much more of a valued commodity than it seems to be today. Especially the NYT--what a rag that paper has turned into! Ugh! After eight long years of Obama it's as if a huge swath of the country has been lobotomized...;) "Fake news, " indeed--the left thinks nothing of censoring any opinion (or fact) with which it does not agree or it does not want revealed. How anyone could support that position is beyond me. Think about the fake election polls that were never true from day 1--fake news there, certainly!

I think that so long as people's posts don't use gratuitous expletives or make physical threats that *anything* they write constitutes free political speech of the kind the Constitution protects. The left wants nothing more than to control what we read and what we write and is using every "fake" trick in the book to try and get that control. Horrible and 100% anti-American.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 15:19 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 15:15:
  • The bottom tier is actual fake news. Things like "Obama admits he was born in Kenya to wealthy Wall Street voters." This is stuff with no basis in any reality that's is 100%, wholly fabricated

• The bottom tier is just bad opinions, like "a wall between the US and Mexico is a good idea" and probably even "and I believe we can get Mexico to pay.

• It's all bottom tiers, all the way down.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 15:15 Beamer

The problem with all the fake news discussions is how frequently I see people misunderstanding what "fake news" is:

• The bottom tier is actual fake news. Things like "Obama admits he was born in Kenya to wealthy Wall Street voters." This is stuff with no basis in any reality that's is 100%, wholly fabricated

• The next tier is lunatic conspiracy theory stuff. It's idiotic, but the person making it may actually believe it, and there is "proof," you just have to be broken to believe it. This is things such as "Hillary Clinton Has Disease and Will Die Soon" or, well, pizzagate

• The next tier is baseless interpretation of actual facts in a way that can be easily disproven. To take a tangent, it's akin to "Anita Sarkeesian wants to ban video games!" This tier is also legitimate news sources spreading fake news, like that CNN airs transexual pornography fake story. It wasn't real, but it spread so quickly and amongst so many outlets even CNN apologized for it before determining it was fake news. This is also a huge amount of international news, where something kind of happens as reported but, when context is given, it no longer looks like crazy foreign country doing crazy thing.

• The bottom tier is just bad opinions, like "a wall between the US and Mexico is a good idea" and probably even "and I believe we can get Mexico to pay.

• There's a different level of factual basis between these levels, with one being pulled from thin air, and more and more fact behind the rest, and the final one not purporting to offer facts but interpretation of facts.

I haven't seen anyone criticize the bottom two tiers. Not like them, sure, but not accuse them of being fake or something Facebook and Google need to filter. The next tier gets mixed, and the top tier I think most everyone can admit is bad. Problem is, I keep seeing people saying that "fake news" is a way of just trying to ban "bad think" without acknowledging that there's actual, fake news being generated solely for the purposes of clicks, and people are believing it!

I mean, we all wondered why all of these "What this random celebrity looks like now will shock you!" articles were so popular - the ones with ads of a young girl from some 1970s show next to a modern picture of a guy in a current show who looks vaguely similar, as if to imply the girl grew up to be that guy. Turns out, making them about politics makes it believable.

-------------

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 14:32 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 13:02:
    A great sentiment until you consider who gets to decide what's fake and what isn't. What really floors me is how obvious a problem such a plan would be, that the words even left her mouth to begin with.

Yes fake news sucks, but rather than create an ethical quagmire to stop it by violating the first amendment, maybe they should exercise some self control and not take advantage of it for their own political purposes. Or better yet embody the kinds of things that run counter to fake news, like not making baseless accusations, not dismissing scientific evidence on the grounds it isn't convenient to your argument, or being able to admit you're wrong when you're wrong. Maybe, just maybe voters will start to mirror that behavior and elections and government won't be such a shit show of who can be the most ignorant.

“No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” - H.L. Mencken

“Don’t you see? The rest of the country looks upon New York like we’re left wing, communist, Jewish, homosexual pornographers. I think of us that way, sometimes. And I live here!” - Woody Allen

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 13:19 Yosemite Sam

That's friken hilarious considering one of Trumps top cabinet picks is a fake news guru.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >