Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

The Westworld season finale was as great as I hoped, or more accurately, expected. It was loads of fun trying to keep up with the season, and impressive that even after figuring most things out, there was still a twist to be had at the end. They also lived up to their commitment to answering most questions and not leaving lots of loose ends, while still setting up future seasons. A true sci-fi TV masterpiece.

Host Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Art of Free Fight.
A Goody Life.
Story: Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana.
Science: Ants communicate by mouth-to-mouth fluid exchange. Thanks reddit.
Media: First Trailer: Tom Cruise In "The Mummy."
NOTES OF OBSESSION (Teens React- Gaming).

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2016, 12:00 Ceribaen

loomy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 17:27:
descender wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 13:18:
In my myriad discussions with people about Westworld, I find that the people who find it boring or confusing generally didn't understand the underlying complexity of the questions the show was posing and took the entire thing at face value.

I figured out most of it early, and that was it. the show kept secrets, but was not subtle. I will not spoil anything by speaking further. maybe I'm just a prodigy guys

See. I think that's the thing though, the show has its secrets but it also provides a lot of clues -- so if you figure them out early, good for you... but if you didn't you go 'OOOOOH, that's what that meant'.
To me that's good writing. I don't want twists to be out of nowhere with absolutely no setup. You should be able to go back and connect the dots (which means some people will get them ahead of time too).

And besides, even if you do figure out the twists early, the show is still enjoyable for the aforementioned moral quandaries that they deal with. And I still think they're still leading us down the garden path on a few details that will be dealt with in season 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2016, 08:37 PHJF

It was too slow. The first half of the season was just too much setup.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2016, 03:13 Sepharo

Guys I keep searching the forum for Detroit and Lions but you're not giving me the tears I require.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2016, 00:09 1badmf

Fletch wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 23:53:
Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 13:09:
They couldn't really go any heavier with it without it becoming completely obtuse for the vast majority of viewers.
I think this is exactly loomy's problem. The writing for this show is brilliant, but if you don't get it... you won't get it.

i'm on the brilliant bandwagon. i love this show. i don't get what loomy's problem is, because it's written perfectly without being completely impenetrable for a wide audience. maybe he just needs to chill with trying to be smarter than the show and just enjoy the ride, so to speak. i mean, if you can't like this, then pretty much you have to hate all mass-audience entertainment, because 99.9% of it is dumber than WW.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 23:53 Fletch

They couldn't really go any heavier with it without it becoming completely obtuse for the vast majority of viewers.
I think this is exactly loomy's problem. The writing for this show is brilliant, but if you don't get it... you won't get it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 19:59 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 11:23:
Once again we see what the GOP really thinks about individual and State's rights. Another antique leftover from the bad ol' days of Reagan, firmly in the pocket of the booze lobby thinks booze is fine and pot is not.

Rolleyes

Remember Cleek's Law:

Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 18:05 descender

Maybe you've only seen 1/5th of the story and haven't figured out anything :p It was actually written out as 5 seasons, it wasn't written as 1 with filler tacked on the end.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 17:27 loomy

descender wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 13:18:
In my myriad discussions with people about Westworld, I find that the people who find it boring or confusing generally didn't understand the underlying complexity of the questions the show was posing and took the entire thing at face value.

I figured out most of it early, and that was it. the show kept secrets, but was not subtle. I will not spoil anything by speaking further. maybe I'm just a prodigy guys

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 15:35 The Half Elf

I have not seen Westwood yet (still on season 3 of Walking Dead and about 4 episodes into Mr Robot), so you are ALL WRONG/RIGHT!

Oh and I haven't seen more then about 30 mins of the 1st episode of Game of Thrones, so suck it!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 15:10 RedEye9

nin wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 14:32:
This isn't a spoiler, but see if you can spot Yul Brynner in a blink and you miss it cameo.
that was one of those what did i just see, pause, rewind, screenshot ,search, spoiler flashlight basement moments.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2016, 15:18.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 14:32 nin

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 14:06:
Just started watching west world this weekend, got 4 episodes in.

I figure it'll try to go really wacky deep and mind fuck. I get that
feeling that is what the writers are going to do.

Like is Bernard a robot, is Dr. Ford a robot, is Theresa a robot.. Whos actually human? is anyone human?

Don't spoil it for me and anyone else wanting to watch it but it just seems like thats the type of show this will devolve into.

This isn't a spoiler, but see if you can spot Yul Brynner in a blink and you miss it cameo.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 14:06 Tipsy McStagger

Just started watching west world this weekend, got 4 episodes in.

I figure it'll try to go really wacky deep and mind fuck. I get that
feeling that is what the writers are going to do.

Like is Bernard a robot, is Dr. Ford a robot, is Theresa a robot.. Whos actually human? is anyone human?

Don't spoil it for me and anyone else wanting to watch it but it just seems like thats the type of show this will devolve into.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 13:18 descender

People kept wanting this to turn into some sort of basic popcorn munching thriller or hero-mode western so that they could rectify the storyline. It was far better than that.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 13:12 VaranDragon

loomy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 12:05:
I think westworld is good but not great. it's about as simplified and obvious as it could be. they could have used their time more wisely, but the writing wasn't there. it was devoid of content by the final episodes

I'll never understand comments like these. I don't think there's anything simple or obvious about it. And I don't mean plot twists, but the philosophical and moral issues they're wrestling with over technology, sentience, freedom, etc. The writing for this show is head and shoulders above 99.9% of everything else on the TV. They couldn't really go any heavier with it without it becoming completely obtuse for the vast majority of viewers. And in the end HBO is still a company that wants to make money, not create philosophical treatises discussed in university symposiums. It's entertainment, not academia. I don't know what more you could reasonably expect.

You completely missed his point.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 13:11 VaranDragon

I think westworld is good but not great. it's about as simplified and obvious as it could be. they could have used their time more wisely, but the writing wasn't there. it was devoid of content by the final episodes

I agree with this 100%.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 13:09 Cutter

I'll never understand comments like these. I don't think there's anything simple or obvious about it. And I don't mean plot twists, but the philosophical and moral issues they're wrestling with over technology, sentience, freedom, etc. The writing for this show is head and shoulders above 99.9% of everything else on the TV. They couldn't really go any heavier with it without it becoming completely obtuse for the vast majority of viewers. And in the end HBO is still a company that wants to make money, not create philosophical treatises discussed in university symposiums. It's entertainment, not academia. I don't know what more you could reasonably expect.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 12:29 shul

Wow! What an episode and a finale!

second season can go either way.. they probably have safe guards to close down the park in such cases, so that's one thing that can happen, the other is that it will become a survival race between the humans and the machines.. meave goes back.. maybe to lead them? in any case it seems like the singularity is pretty near on that show.. so I don't know how they'll keep the story for five seasons...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 12:05 loomy

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 11:23 Cutter

Once again we see what the GOP really thinks about individual and State's rights. Another antique leftover from the bad ol' days of Reagan, firmly in the pocket of the booze lobby thinks booze is fine and pot is not.

Rolleyes

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2016, 11:21 Acleacius

Westworld, so ....Sadly, Marti, Elise and Stubbs the only characters I can recall, we didn't get any kind real resolution or answers on. Anyone have any thoughts? Clearly there are going to be humans left alive. One in particular was just shot in the arm instead of easily killed.

This isn't a spoiler, but someone might think it is, so .... Damn, I was really looking forward to seeing more Lili Simmons. Since they announced she won a recurring role back in 4/16.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo