Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced

Piranha Games announces MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, a new installment in the mech combat series. In spite of enduring affection for the franchise, this will be the first single-player MechWarrior game in 15 years. This is being built with Epic's Unreal Engine 4 for release in 2018, but they reassure MechWarrior Online players that a live team will continue to support that game as well. They offer this trailer with around seven minutes of pre-alpha gameplay footage and Twitch has footage of the game livestreamed from the event, though some of the audio is muted because lawyers. Here's the deal:
Piranha Games announced MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries to a packed house of MechWarrior fans tonight via a live stage demo at Mech_Con 2016.

The first standalone single-player MechWarrior title in development for PC in nearly 15 years, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature intense PvE ‘Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Featuring an advancing timeline starting in the year 3015, players will adopt the role of a green MechWarrior mercenary thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere; the vast region of colonized space surrounding Earth. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the maintenance and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

Set for release in 2018, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is under development by a dedicated and separate development team at Piranha Games using Unreal Engine 4. MechWarrior Online, Piranha’s existing F2P multiplayer-focused tactical ‘Mech combat game (built with CryEngine) will continue its ongoing live development by the MWO team at Piranha.

"Our main goal with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is to provide fans with a standalone, story-driven single-player experience that allows for a great amount of flexibility in terms of player choice, built on a foundation of the intense, tactical ‘Mech combat the franchise is known for," said Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games. “Along with the release of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in 2018 we're going to continue supporting our existing MechWarrior Online game and its fanbase with new updates and regular content releases. MWO is now in its fifth year of development and operation, and there’s still a lot of really cool stuff planned for it. For fans who have been waiting for the return of a true single-player MechWarrior game though, we are really happy to announce MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries."

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

40. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 07:23 Kajetan

bigspender wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 03:44:
Exactly! You could put in some lite features from a survival game to collect salvage etc. It'd be awesome.
That are NO lite features from a survival game, bro. These are CORE BT rules. Salvaging the remains of our former friends and foes all together. Especially a mercenary unit has to run on a very tight budget.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 03:44 bigspender

1badmf wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 03:40:
damn shame. a game about a company of mercs seems perfect for a coop campaign, esp. since the missions revolve around 4 player 'lances' of mechs.

Exactly! You could put in some lite features from a survival game to collect salvage etc. It'd be awesome.

38. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 03:40 1badmf

damn shame. a game about a company of mercs seems perfect for a coop campaign, esp. since the missions revolve around 4 player 'lances' of mechs.  

37. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 01:34 eRe4s3r

FloorPie wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 01:28:
Uh, its been a while lol but I pretty sure a friend and I could play together against AI or do joint missions in MW3.

Ah .. MW 2 Mercenaries did have COOP but dang that was ages ago. MW 3.. can't remember that at all.

It was never COOP I wanted to play often apparently.... ^^

Either way, to me COOP wouldn't be a relevant feature in a merc campaign... MW4 Mercs is what sets my expectations.. and so they are very low to begin with

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2016, 01:44.

36. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 01:28 FloorPie

Uh, its been a while lol but I pretty sure a friend and I could play together against AI or do joint missions in MW3.  

35. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 01:25 eRe4s3r

Osc8r wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 00:27:
MWO was pretty... lackluster. It felt kinda consolised, with a lot of missing features depth. And the mech bay UI got progressively worse over time.

Saying that, if this has co-op i'll definitely try it out though, as i have fond memories of playing the early mechwarriors in co-op.

Single player on rails? Pass.

??

Mechwarrior 2 did not have coop
Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries however did have local coop vs AI
Mechwarrior 3 did not have coop (did however have local vs AI)
Mechwarrior 4 did not have coop (coop mod via Mektek 3.1 does, however with no campaign, no objectives, no mercenary layer, and shit AI that can't cope with 2 players ;p)

Played MW4 Mektek 3.1 with Coop mod/campaign then? I wonder seriously where your "fond memories" come from Or do you mean the MP missions with AI? Was that in 2 ? That was never COOP in the sense of the word...

I would much rather have a MW 4 Mercs sequel that is within the Mechwarrior canon story, and goes from 3015 trough to the clan invasions.... and it seems I get that. And from what I hear, people want a SP Mechwarrior 5 primarily, not tacked on COOP, which it would be. Since you can't have the merc company management layer in coop.. least not without designing the entire game around coop.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2016, 01:42.

34. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 00:27 Osc8r

MWO was pretty... lackluster. It felt kinda consolised, with a lot of missing features depth. And the mech bay UI got progressively worse over time.

Saying that, if this has co-op i'll definitely try it out though, as i have fond memories of playing the early mechwarriors in co-op.

Single player on rails? Pass.

33. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 23:42 Fantaz

PacoTaco wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 18:31:
Wow they figured out a way to make the Unreal4 engine look like total ass with shit content and terrible VO to boot. Everything about it looks bad, do not know why they would show this to anyone. They need to hire some people that know how to do next generation content or use the engine.

you're talking like you've never seen a pre-alpha before? it should be looking a lot better later on

32. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 22:17  Darks 

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 20:24:
Sigh. If you haven't played MWO in the last 18-24 months, you really shouldn't offer an opinion. The game shifted *dramatically* when PGI split from IGP. It is, at its core a f2p Mechwarrior battle arena game much like World of Tanks/Warships. It's not p2w or p2p. Hell, BattleTech by Harebrained probably wouldn't have happened if not for PGI entering an arrangement to share all the models and rigs. People bitched about MWO not having single player....people are already bitching about MW5 not having multiplayer. Laughable.

At the end of the day there are two truisms to be taken into account.
- Don't preorder. PGI has a history that should give any consumer pause on an unreleased product. It took them YEARS to get MWO to a decent state.
- Don't buy on release date. Watch reviews. The key to this title is going to be how long the campaign is...and what they leave out. That will determine how many DLC packs you'll be looking at to get the full experience.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. at the end of the day its still fucking PVP. I would really like to see a Mech game come out that finally has Coop.

Mechs usually dont run around soloing everything and every mission. The John Wayne bullshit has to end at some point. these guys are missing a big opportunity to set a new standard for Mech 5 but they are blowing it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

31. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 20:24  Primalchrome 

Sigh. If you haven't played MWO in the last 18-24 months, you really shouldn't offer an opinion. The game shifted *dramatically* when PGI split from IGP. It is, at its core a f2p Mechwarrior battle arena game much like World of Tanks/Warships. It's not p2w or p2p. Hell, BattleTech by Harebrained probably wouldn't have happened if not for PGI entering an arrangement to share all the models and rigs. People bitched about MWO not having single player....people are already bitching about MW5 not having multiplayer. Laughable.

At the end of the day there are two truisms to be taken into account.
- Don't preorder. PGI has a history that should give any consumer pause on an unreleased product. It took them YEARS to get MWO to a decent state.
- Don't buy on release date. Watch reviews. The key to this title is going to be how long the campaign is...and what they leave out. That will determine how many DLC packs you'll be looking at to get the full experience.

30. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 20:23  RaZ0r! 

Nimh wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 14:36:
The title got me.. but I stopped after reading Piranha Games.

Same.

I pwnz j00!

29. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 19:43 Slashman

Rhialto wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 14:46:
Graphics are of course up to date with a recent engine but I prefer to play against real people than AI.

Good for you. You already have your game. It is called MWO. Go have fun!

The rest of us will embrace the single-player, no-asshole/cheater/lag/disconnects campaign of this game.

28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 19:37 Peter M. Smith

The Pyro wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 18:27:
It's a different engine, but based on the Shadowhawk and the Raven in this video they're clearly sharing artwork between projects, and that gives them a significant head start to including a huge variety of mechs in the campaign. There are 72 totally different 3D mech models in MWO right now with more on the way. That's a nice head start.

I think they've got a fair shot at making a good game. Good luck to them.

The new game won't be able to use all of the models, based on the storyline. Any of the Clan designs are thirty-five years down the timeline. Even the Raven in the video shouldn't have shown up for another nine years. Now that said, I took a look at the 'Mechs listed as playable in MWO. What's left gives you a good selection to build a game around, even if you stick with the so-called Introductory Tech of 3015.

27. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 18:47 Task

Pyro don't forget there are other 'decent' f2p titles - what makes those good is the designers and their goals. The leads of PGI has a lot to do with why MWO is shovelware-like.

Anyway s, this apparently will not have an extra attached bonus of dedicated MP like every past actual MW title. I'm assuming they want to funnel people into the sadder f2p one, "want MP like the golden age with highly customizable multiplayer servers? Too bad, pony up and get ready for grinding in MWO."

Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

26. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 18:31 PacoTaco

a

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2019, 01:13.

25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 18:27  The Pyro 

The biggest complaints about MWO will not even be applicable to this title:

* P2W mechs (i.e. locked behind a pay wall)
* Power creep / hardpoint inflation (generally you want power creep in a single player campaign)
* Lack of [good] objective-based game modes
* Community warfare *ahem* issues

And the devs are a totally different team.

It's a different engine, but based on the Shadowhawk and the Raven in this video they're clearly sharing artwork between projects, and that gives them a significant head start to including a huge variety of mechs in the campaign. There are 72 totally different 3D mech models in MWO right now with more on the way. That's a nice head start.

I think they've got a fair shot at making a good game. Good luck to them.

24. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 18:08 1badmf

when MWO came out everyone was crying for an SP mech game. now it's been announced and everyone is crying that it's not multi? yo no comprendo man.

personally i got a little chubby from this. mech4 mercs was one of my fondest pc gaming memories; strong story, strong gameplay, immersive experience all around. MWO actually has great gameplay, just sucks it's multi only. i'd be fine with them bringing that gameplay to this. i do hope they upgrade the lighting though. it seemed overly simple, especially in a dark hangar like that.

23. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 17:45 CJ_Parker

Finally a new MechWarrior but then it is made by assholes?

Not fair, man. Not fair...

22. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 17:05  The Half Elf 

Some red flags already on this.
There is NO MULTIPLAYER with this at all (at least if there is it hasn't been announced)
How much nickle and diming is there going to be with DLC?
Mechwarrior Online is mentioned way to much in the announcement.
And 60 bucks for a single player game with no multiplayer?
Really surprised they decided to use the Unreal Engine instead of the Crytek engine.

I'd like to be hopeful but not thrilled by Piranha's track record with this IP.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

21. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 17:01  jdreyer 

Hell. It has frozen over.

Can't watch the video right now, but will check it out later.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >